• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Creed sequel already in the works; potential story options (Apollo is back!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
After a successful comeback in “Creed,”... Sylvester Stallone revealed in a new interview with Variety that he’s already getting ready to step back in the ring for another sequel where he’ll play Rocky Balboa.

MGM, which financed the Warner Bros. release with New Line, is onboard. “There’s no doubt that we’re making a ‘Creed 2,’” says MGM CEO Gary Barber.

It’s not clear if Ryan Coogler, who is in negotiations for Marvel’s “Black Panther,” will return as director of the next “Creed.” “I know Ryan is probably going to be gone for a couple years,” Stallone says. “So there will be a quandary on: Do we work with another director and have Ryan produce, or do we wait? There’s a diminishing time acceptance of a sequel. Now they are cranking them out in a year.”

Coogler and Stallone have already developed ideas for the new “Creed.” One version of the story would take place in the past, which would mean — in a surprise that would energize the franchise’s fans — bringing back Carl Weathers to play Apollo Creed, who died in 1985’s “Rocky IV.”
“Ryan has some ideas of going forward and backward and actually seeing Rocky and Apollo together,” Stallone revealed. “Think of ‘The Godfather 2.’ That’s what he was thinking of, which was kind of ambitious.” Stallone said he’d recently bumped into Weathers, who looked like he was still in good shape. “I can’t believe I got in the ring with him,” he says. “Even if it was play fighting.”

Another option would be a linear story with Apollo’s son Adonis (Michael B. Jordan) taking on another challenger. “You’ll have him face a different opponent, which I would say is a more ferocious, big Russian,” Stallone says. “You can start to meld my experiences and then you start to bring different cultures into it. And you can see what’s happening with the Russians today in America. The complication will come with the girl’s ambition, because she’s not Adrian. She has places to go, things to see, the clock is running on her hearing.”

Source: Variety

Hydrus

Wait, so Creed would be revived as an andriod by the russians and Rocky would be forced to fight him & try to get him to come to his senses.
For America!

Coogler demonstrated that he understood what makes the franchise so great. Would be a shame if he couldn't direct the next one, especially if Carl Weathers returned.

Wait a sec, just have Stallone direct if Coogler can't. Problem solved.

Stallone's every instinct in this article sounds wrong. A quick sequel, possibly without Coogler, possibly against Ivan Drago II.

Stallone wrote and directed nearly all of the great Rocky movies. I wouldn't be so quick to discount his ideas about what's right for this character or franchise.

Chase17

I loved Creed but I hope Coogler doesn't come back for the sequel (slightly disappointed that he may be doing Black Panther). I think he can hit greater heights than these "blockbuster" movies allow. Fruitvale Station was great.

Edit: blockbuster is wrong word here. I'd rather see him do more original movies than sequels and comic book movies. Although I understand why people would want Coogler back. He's great!

I loved Creed but I hope Coogler doesn't come back for a sequel (slightly disappointed that he may be doing Black Panther). I think he can hit greater heights than this "blockbuster" movies allow. Fruitvale Station was great.

Creed was like a 40 million dollar movie. Blockbuster it ain't.

Now bring Apollo back. AS DONNIE'S OPPONENT.

How the fuck are you going to go into the past and cast Carl Weathers? Carl Weathers in 2016 looks nothing like he did when Apollo died 30 years ago.

That's why I put quotations around it. I should have said something along the lines of franchise movies and sequels.

Coogler basically took a series that had some pretty damn good films in it and gave it a brand new lease on life. He directed the FUCK out of that movie.

You want him on the mid level or bigger films. Let him go nuts.

Adonis gets killed by a Russian and Rocky has to get back into the ring one last time to avenge him.

Ain't nothing over til it's over

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
How the fuck are you going to go into the past and cast Carl Weathers? Carl Weathers in 2016 looks nothing like he did when Apollo died 30 years ago.

A story taking place in the past, with 68 year old Carl Weathers playing Apollo?

yeah, exactly. move forward with Donnie's story... no need to look back.

Coogler basically took a series that had some pretty damn good films in it and gave it a brand new lease on life. He directed the FUCK out of that movie.

You want him on the mid level or bigger films. Let him go nuts.

Black Panther fight scenes are going to be incredible.

fZRQl34.jpg

this was supposedly taken in 2015.
he looks good. but i dont know about this good:

OVs7B2v.jpg

Jigorath

Banned
Coogler and Stallone have already developed ideas for the new “Creed.” One version of the story would take place in the past, which would mean — in a surprise that would energize the franchise’s fans — bringing back Carl Weathers to play Apollo Creed, who died in 1985’s “Rocky IV.”

This sounds pretty dumb.

Just keep moving forward with Donny and Rocky.

Another option would be a linear story with Apollo’s son Adonis (Michael B. Jordan) taking on another challenger. “You’ll have him face a different opponent, which I would say is a more ferocious, big Russian,” Stallone says. “You can start to meld my experiences and then you start to bring different cultures into it. And you can see what’s happening with the Russians today in America.

What is Stallone's obsession with fighting Russians.

Chase17

I agree. I think Creed was as good as it possibly could have been in large part due to his fantastic direction.

Akahige

“I know Ryan is probably going to be gone for a couple years,” Stallone says. “So there will be a quandary on: Do we work with another director and have Ryan produce, or do we wait? There’s a diminishing time acceptance of a sequel. Now they are cranking them out in a year.”
Ugh no.
Coogler and Stallone have already developed ideas for the new “Creed.” One version of the story would take place in the past, which would mean — in a surprise that would energize the franchise’s fans — bringing back Carl Weathers to play Apollo Creed, who died in 1985’s “Rocky IV.” “Ryan has some ideas of going forward and backward and actually seeing Rocky and Apollo together,” Stallone revealed. “Think of ‘The Godfather 2.’ That’s what he was thinking of, which was kind of ambitious.” Stallone said he’d recently bumped into Weathers, who looked like he was still in good shape. “I can’t believe I got in the ring with him,” he says. “Even if it was play fighting.”
Ugh no.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I just got to see Creed for the first time this weekend and loved it. Coogler did a great job of directing.

This bringing back Apollo thing doesn't make sense to me. The movie did a great job at making me invested in Donnie and not really caring about the Apollo connection. For them to undo all of that would be a mistake imo.

sflufan

Banned
Another option would be a linear story with Apollo’s son Adonis (Michael B. Jordan) taking on another challenger. “You’ll have him face a different opponent, which I would say is a more ferocious, big Russian,” Stallone says. “You can start to meld my experiences and then you start to bring different cultures into it. And you can see what’s happening with the Russians today in America.

Make the Russian be Ivan Drago's son.

"I will break you like my father did to yours."

Both ideas are stupid as shit. Just bring back Andre Ward to fight Donnie and make the drama come from Bianca's hearing loss or rocky's death

And wait for Coogler

I LOVE the rocky series so much but this doesn't have to be like it, it shouldn't

Kreed

Another option would be a linear story with Apollo’s son Adonis (Michael B. Jordan) taking on another challenger. “You’ll have him face a different opponent, which I would say is a more ferocious, big Russian,” Stallone says. “You can start to meld my experiences and then you start to bring different cultures into it. And you can see what’s happening with the Russians today in America. The complication will come with the girl’s ambition, because she’s not Adrian. She has places to go, things to see, the clock is running on her hearing.”

Russians really are the "safe group" in Hollywood.

I hope they go with more Michael B. Jordan with the sequel/don't do the Apollo story line.

Drago son is the opponent in the next film. Make Ivan drago a shell of himself from after rocky 4 with the son blaming rocky for it. Drago jr does something to Rocky, creed gets emotional and you got creed 2 fight set up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom