• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crew "returns to Earth" after a year on simulated Mars

Status
Not open for further replies.
aASlJgX.jpg

HONOLULU, Hawaii ― Sending humans to Mars presents enormous challenges, from the technological to the psychological.

Perhaps no one understands the mental test better than the team of international scientists who just spent a year living inside an isolated, Mars-like habitat atop Hawaii’s Mauna Loa volcano.

Sheyna Gifford, chief medical and safety officer of the fourth Hawaii Space Exploration and Analog and Simulation, or HI-SEAS, told The Huffington Post that the biggest challenges came from a “sense of helplessness.”

When things went wrong on Earth, whether it was a terrorist attack, flooding in Louisiana or a family member’s death, “trying to find a way to help from here is very difficult,” Gifford said.

On Sunday, the six-man crew will emerge from their dome free of spacesuits for the first time in 365 days, bringing to a close the longest space travel simulation ever conducted on U.S. soil.
The idea that the team has been up there an entire year, Gifford added, is “almost absurd.”

“It doesn’t feel like a year, I think that’s the strangest part. It feels like we’ve been here a few months,” she said, adding a person’s sense of time progresses completely differently.

That’s not to say the last 12 months have been a breeze. Beyond obvious things, like missing fresh food and the wind on your face, time away from Earth presents enormous emotional challenges. And that’s one of the main goals of the simulated journey: to better understand the risks associated with space travel, including conflict, stress and depression.
For example, Gifford’s grandmother died about a month ago. Although her death was expected, Gifford said not being there for her family was extremely difficult.

“I said goodbye to my grandmother over a delayed video message,” she told HuffPost. “That’s not something any of us ever want to do. So simply not being on Earth, I think everyone would agree, is the most challenging part of space.”
Johnston said she struggled with the “out of sight, out of mind” treatment she received from people who she expected would stay in touch.

“We changed everything about our lives and limited ourselves to only communicating by email,” she said. “If anyone didn’t want to hop on that wagon, we just didn’t hear from them this year. It can be pretty disheartening to feel like you are missing out on everything happening at home.”

More at: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/year-on-mars-hawaii-hiseas_us_57bf7086e4b04193420e7b6e

Forget me if old

I don't really understand the point of this project. The results aren't really surprising and to be expected. So why do it and waste one year of their lives for it? Also, this project fails to accurately simulate a Mars mission, because there was no danger at all. Real astronauts on a Mars mission will be under much higher and different pressure, because they could actually die there.

strata8

lol at some of the comments:

What a bunch of idtiots wasting a year of their lives.
2 things we cannot solve as human beings wanting to successfully complete interplanetary travel... radiation and gravity. the human body cannot survive the affects of either one in space.

Thousands of people die from gravity exposure every year.

I assume he means lack of gravity.

Peru

Gemüsepizza;215253045 said:
I don't really understand the point of this project. The results aren't really surprising, this was to be expected. So why do it and waste one year of their lives for it? Also, this project fails to accurately simulate a Mars mission, because there was no danger at all. Real astronauts on a Mars mission will be under much higher and different pressure, because they could actually die there.

You can't simulate all effects or the severity of stress but you can get a feel for some. There are also many practical results to get from simulating a Martian life, wrt technology, routines, etc.

Pakkidis

I don't really understand the point of this project. The results aren't really surprising, this was to be expected. So why do it and waste one year of their lives for it? Also, this project fails to accurately simulate a Mars mission, because there was no danger at all. Real astronauts on a Mars mission will be under much higher and different pressure, because they could actually die there.

To learn about the unexpected. Nasa takes this stuff very seriously, astronauts go through vigorous training for years before getting to go to space. Going to Mars will probably require even more extensive training.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Real astronauts on a Mars mission will be under much higher and different pressure, because they could actually die there.

Isn't it a one way trip to Mars and they are going to die there? I think the part of the point was the psychological aspect and how the crew are going to handle it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I always assumed the tests were more like a psychological experiment, like the prisoner one, where you're trying to see what happens to people who are stuck together for a long time in a confined space. I guess it's a boring version of Big Brother or Real World.

I don't really understand the point of this project. The results aren't really surprising and to be expected. So why do it and waste one year of their lives for it? Also, this project fails to accurately simulate a Mars mission, because there was no danger at all. Real astronauts on a Mars mission will be under much higher and different pressure, because they could actually die there.

Our usual mistake in scientific projects is assuming we know what all the outcomes of the project would be before we do it. Pilot studies like these are important to make sure there aren't any catastrophic effects that have been overlooked.

Next time they should release lions in The Dome.

edit: Also not as cool as Biosphere 2

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biosphere_2

Renpatsu

The results aren't really surprising and to be expected.
Assumptions and expectations when it comes to high-risk ventures such as space travel can get people killed. Wouldn't it better to test for and simulate the scenarios as accurately as possible beforehand rather than simply relying on instincts and preconceived notions?

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member

They're still under the stress of isolation from the outside world and with each other. They can learn what aspects of the experience the "astronauts" found stressful and which aspects they didn't and possibly include accommodations in actual missions to help make the whole experience better for the actual astronauts.

Well I thought the effects of living in isolation etc where pretty much researched, that's why I thought such a project might be kind of needless.

Isn't it a one way trip to Mars and they are going to die there? I think the part of the point was the psychological aspect and how the crew are going to handle it.

No, NASA and other space agencies aren't doing missions like that. What you are refering to is probably the Mars One project, which is a scam. And people who were volunteering for Mars One are people you don't want on a real Mars mission anyway. It's very likely that they are mentally unstable or have other serious issues.

sirap

How amazing would it be if we had a real life Truman show, only with people thinking they're on Mars. It probably wouldn't work with real astronauts, but I could see a scenario where people sign up for free trips to Mars or some bs experiment on how the average person reacts to life on another planet.

Wish I could live for another 100-200 years and actually see that happen.

Skunkers

I thought that was that upstart private Mars mission proposed in Europe; afaik NASA and SpaceX are planning to try bring them back alive.

rainz

Interesting..
I think anyone that has travelled overseas for any lengthy period, say over a year or two in one stint would know the feeling that develops with people back home.. Most people don't give a shit once you are gone that long and there is only so much you can say to each other as you aren't in each others lives anymore at that time. Im sure this experiment gained some valuable insights, but that wasn't really one of them imho..

Interesting..
I think anyone that has travelled overseas for any lengthy period, say over a year or two in one stint would know the feeling that develops with people back home.. Most people don't give a shit once you are gone that long and there is only so much you can say to each other as you aren't in each others lives anymore at that time. Im sure this experiment gained some valuable insights, but that wasn't really one of them imho..

I can confirm this is mostly true. It's a weird feeling of no longer belonging.

Fat Goron

Complex motives.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Also, this project fails to accurately simulate a Mars mission, because there was no danger at all.

I don't think you understand the concept of simulations.

Sorcerer

Surely, this kind of testing is necessary.
Also its a job, and I am sure those astronauts were well compensated for their time.

How amazing would it be if we had a real life Truman show, only with people thinking they're on Mars. It probably wouldn't work with real astronauts, but I could see a scenario where people sign up for free trips to Mars or some bs experiment on how the average person reacts to life on another planet.

Wish I could live for another 100-200 years and actually see that happen.
Get writing, sirap. Seems like something that would fit into an episodic 30k book series. :)

Korey

Yea I mean when you're literally spending a trillion dollars sending people to Mars, you should just assume you already know everything and hope for the best.

Dierce

Isn't the escape velocity for Mars still pretty high? It would still require a pretty huge rocket to get out of the planet's gravity, right?

tebunker

Banned
Interesting..

Hell you don't even have to go overseas, move about a day plus travel from your friends and family and you get a lot of this. Its just out of sight out mind kind of thing. It's not that they don't give a shit, it is that we are all too focused on the day to day aspect of living we lose touch with those in outer orbits to that.\

Hell, the wife and I experienced this when we had our first child. You couldn't even get some friends to come over.

It is only magnified by the fact that people going to Mars or even another country or 5 states away can't quickly/easily re-enter others lives.

sono

So are you saying they should have punctured the dome and had all the oxygen removed and expected to deal with it

sono

Isn't the escape velocity for Mars still pretty high? It would still require a pretty huge rocket to get out of the planet's gravity, right?

Escape velocity =
main-qimg-536baccd0f5672a2506575dd0ee3adb5

where, G is the Gravitational constant (= 6.67×10−11 m3 kg−1 s−2), M is the mass of the object whose field you want to escape, and r is the distance from (its) centre of gravity.

For Mars, M = 6.4185×10^23 kg, and r = 3389.5±0.2 km; the escape velocity turns out to be ~ 5.0 km/s

(Not sure why are you asking though )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom