• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crew "returns to Earth" after a year on simulated Mars

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm pleased the experiment at D-COM went smoothly.

Great, now we're all gonna die from Radical-6.

LOL! Perfect. I came in here to post something similar to both of these posts. Cheers guys! :D

1j6GJFsl.jpg

shira

How amazing would it be if we had a real life Truman show, only with people thinking they're on Mars. It probably wouldn't work with real astronauts, but I could see a scenario where people sign up for free trips to Mars or some bs experiment on how the average person reacts to life on another planet.

Wish I could live for another 100-200 years and actually see that happen.

So you are theorizing a NASA reality show Mars simulation in 100-200 years.

Zackat

Yawn. You don't do something because it's hard. That's not a reason. I agree that finding out about life in the universe would be nice, but there are more pressing issues to attend to.
Did you not listen to him at all or did you just x out of the video after he listed his reasons? If you did you missed the whole point. Going to Mars is hard. But it is also incredibly exciting and young people would be inspired to do engineering, biology, medical sciences. They would want to figure out these hard problems that are presented, because people like challenges. We face difficult circumstances today on many fronts but that is no reason to not keep moving the ball forward.

Paches

Yawn. You don't do something because it's hard. That's not a reason. I agree that finding out about life in the universe would be nice, but there are more pressing issues to attend to.
The argument "there are better things to focus on" can be said about pretty much any activity in the world. I mean, should NASA divert all its funds to starving children?

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
....I don't even know how to answer something like that. We can attend "more pressing issues" and still explore space.

The argument "there are better things to focus on" can be said about pretty much any activity in the world. I mean, should NASA divert all its funds to starving children?
Should start with the US military funds first

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
I know that "yawn" is the herald of a troll looking for a fight and I should just ignore you, but I gotta say...

That is not only wrong, but actually kind of frightening as a sentiment. The list of technologies we gained from the moon mission that completely changed our world and the social/economic boon that came with them is insane.

We invented all that shit because it was hard. Really really hard. It was totally worth it.

Only thinking in the short term has never gotten us much of anything.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
There is still very little point in sending people to Mars. NASA should be focusing strongly on robotics, 3d printing, AI. Sending humans there will be much easier later on, and we'll be able to do in one mission what we could now in ten. No need to rush this through.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
It's true that "no duh" people get depressed/stressed/anxious/lonely when they are isolated like that for a year--the point of the study is to be able to quantify it, look for patterns of heterogeneity (what type of people adjust better or worse to the situation, what type of people experience what symptoms, what type of people turn to sex or anger or... to overcome the effects, do they share their feelings with other astronauts), as well as testing physical stressors -- how many of these people fucked up putting on their suits when they had to go outside, how many equipment failures occurred, how much mass are they going to have to dedicate to support supplies, how will teams be able to take over for each other during an injury situation, how much space will they need in a habitat. All of these are questions that impacts tens of billions of dollars of spending decisions when we get ready for the real thing.

The people running the experiments and participating are all people with PhDs in their respective fields. They are under the belief that this information is useful to them. "Why are you doing science the result is going to be obvious" is an incredibly shallow critique of research and there's a reason the people making the critique are never experts in their field. I'm not saying all experts are always right about everything, I'm saying before you confidently say No This Is Definitely Useless, you might at least exhibit some self-doubt and search for whether or not there's something you've missed.

Yes? Our house is burning down, yet we have people daydreaming about space colonies. Let's make sure those Mars people have something good to come back to.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Yes? Our house is burning down, yet we have people daydreaming about space colonies. Let's make sure those Mars people have something good to come back to.

You're more likely to feed starving children by doing science to find better ways to grow more food more efficiently than you are to feed starving children by making your scientists go home and start a farm.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

From the mission bio of the mission leader:
... In high school, I participated in the Flathead River Educational Effort for Focused Learning in our Watershed (FREEFLOW) where we learned about water quality, stream health, and the influence of humans on water quality in the Flathead Valley... I wanted to continue studying hydrology so I went to school at Montana State University for a BS in Soil and Water Science. I continued on for a MS in Land Resources and Environmental Sciences. This allowed me the opportunity to conduct two summers of field work in Alaska, studying carbon dynamics in permafrost soils. After completing my thesis, I traveled to New Zealand and Australia to learn about livestock management from people that are dealing with climate change right now...

... I decided to join the 4th HI-SEAS Mission so I can continue studying food production, this time within the construct of living on Mars. The research we are conducting will hopefully have implications for food production on Mars as well as Earth. How do we feed a population using the resources you have while not destroying the planet you’re on? Come on world, we need to start thinking about this now!

She probably shouldn't have been paid to do this, though

And from another crew member:
Cyprien Verseux is an astrobiologist working on the search for life beyond Earth and an expert in biological life support systems for Mars exploration. Part of his research aims at making human outposts on Mars as independent as possible of Earth, by using living organisms to process Mars’s resources into products needed for human consumption. In other words, he is figuring out how to live on Mars off the land using biology and what is already there.

Definitely no implications for terraforming Earth, making farming easier here, or sustainable agriculture here though. Fire this guy.

dan2026

Can we actually get to Mars in a decent time yet?

I feel our spaceships are still too shit to make the journey worth it.

LiK

Why are some people criticizing them? If people try out these hardcore sims to test their psychological and physical responses or want to explore space/planets, it furthers their knowledge of how to proceed for future missions. Science wouldn't be what it is without people trying these things out. Maybe they should all stay home and call it a day? Watch some science docs and stop being so ignorant.

Gemüsepizza;215253045 said:
I don't really understand the point of this project. The results aren't really surprising and to be expected. So why do it and waste one year of their lives for it? Also, this project fails to accurately simulate a Mars mission, because there was no danger at all. Real astronauts on a Mars mission will be under much higher and different pressure, because they could actually die there.

Why do any experiment at all?

We already know what the result is supposed to be

Xe4

Banned
To learn about the unexpected. Nasa takes this stuff very seriously, astronauts go through vigorous training for years before getting to go to space. Going to Mars will probably require even more extensive training.

It wouldn't surprise me if they trained astronauts in Antarctica before going to Mars. The environments are surprisingly similar. These are baby steps, and are what is required to get us to Mars.

Edit: They are actually already doing this. So cool! http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20120807-the-loneliest-job-in-the-world
Can we actually get to Mars in a decent time yet?

I feel our spaceships are still too shit to make the journey worth it.

9 months is the figure usually thrown out. The problem isn't the time, it's living on a spaceship and bringing the needed supplies for either colonization or a round trip, neither of which are easy.

diaspora

Because there's no advantages to learning about botany and biology in limited environments like other planets.

Yearly budget for welfare = ~1 trillion/year

War on Iraq = ~2 trillion could cost~6 trillion

NASA yearly budget = ~20 billion/year

Total spent on NASA since 1958 = ~4 trillion

Yah Nasa funding should be used for other more pressing matters.

Let's go with the burning house metaphor. You want everyone to join the bucket brigade. Wouldn't it make sense to dedicate some resources to inventing fire hoses, extinguishers, and non-flammable materials? Shouldn't we learn about the very nature of fire?

As a species, we aren't going to move forward without what you dismissively refer to as daydreamers.

Xe4

Banned
It worked for JFK and the Apollo program.

Yep. In case anyone doesn't know:
JFK said:
We set sail on this new sea because there is new knowledge to be gained, and new rights to be won, and they must be won and used for the progress of all people. For space science, like nuclear science and all technology, has no conscience of its own. Whether it will become a force for good or ill depends on man, and only if the United States occupies a position of pre-eminence can we help decide whether this new ocean will be a sea of peace or a new terrifying theater of war. I do not say that we should or will go unprotected against the hostile misuse of space any more than we go unprotected against the hostile use of land or sea, but I do say that space can be explored and mastered without feeding the fires of war, without repeating the mistakes that man has made in extending his writ around this globe of ours.

There is no strife, no prejudice, no national conflict in outer space as yet. Its hazards are hostile to us all. Its conquest deserves the best of all mankind, and its opportunity for peaceful cooperation may never come again. But why, some say, the Moon? Why choose this as our goal? And they may well ask, why climb the highest mountain? Why, 35 years ago, fly the Atlantic? Why does Rice play Texas?

We choose to go to the Moon! ... We choose to go to the Moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard; because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one we intend to win ..

zeshakag

Pretty sure we have the capability to create fuck tons of food considering large farm surplus subsidies.

Pretty sure we have tons of environmental scientists, and on-earth environmental engineers whose data and policy are being blocked by politics.

We have economists, police, military defense, social programs, all of which are lacking in their own ways due to politics.

How come any time this attitude comes up it is always people trying to learn, engineer and do hard things in space, the people who are expanding our ultra-long term horizons.

How come whenever some YouTube, TV star, painter is on here we don't say they should throw away whatever they're doing and uh... grow food or something? Become lobbyists?

It is fucking stupid. We have multitasking.

sirap

So you are theorizing a NASA reality show Mars simulation in 100-200 years.

....yes.

I wouldn't be surprised if someone managed to do it now. There are some real idiots in reality TV. Anyone who's seen Big Brother can back me up :p

To learn about the unexpected. Nasa takes this stuff very seriously, astronauts go through vigorous training for years before getting to go to space. Going to Mars will probably require even more extensive training.

Exactly. We can't armchair our way into assuming how things will go on a manned interplanetary mission.

why post on a game forum when they are people dying all over the world

why give a shit about trump when we're all going to die from climate change in less than 100 years

why fucking live when the earth will eventually perish from getting engulfed by an engorged Sun long after the human race has ceased to exist in this universe

it's almost like the human race can concentrate on more than one thing at a time

Fucking inane comments like this really grinds my gears and reduces my hope for humanity

The response to finding verifiable life on another planet, especially still living, would be an interesting one.

Yearly budget for welfare = ~1 trillion/year

War on Iraq = ~2 trillion could cost~6 trillion

NASA yearly budget = ~20 billion/year

Total spent on NASA since 1958 = ~4 trillion

Yah Nasa funding should be used for other more pressing matters.

I do wonder how much of that 4T over nearly 60 years NASA has actually paid back through the various innovations they've come up with. Especially compared to the military which itself has contributed greatly to technology we have now.

Except for Iraq that's just been a disaster.

WillyFive

The response to finding verifiable life on another planet, especially still living, would be an interesting one.

I do wonder how much of that 4T over nearly 60 years NASA has actually paid back through the various innovations they've come up with. Especially compared to the military which itself has contributed greatly to technology we have now.

Except for Iraq that's just been a disaster.

Smartphones, their cameras, GPS, Velcro, MRI, the microchip and many other things came about thanks to the space program.

And right now Nasa only gets 0.4% of the budget, and back in the space race it only had 4% of it. There are people out there that think it gets like 10% or 20%, which would be fantastic.

Smartphones, their cameras, GPS, Velcro, MRI, the microchip and many other things came about thanks to the space program.

And right now Nasa only gets 0.4% of the budget, and back in the space race it only had 4% of it. There are people out there that think it gets like 10% or 20%, which would be fantastic.

That's the thing that bugs me about people who complain about NASA being a waste of money. They've probably paid for themselves more than ten fold at this point from their contributions.

Nocebo

What a shallow and short sighted way of thinking. I supposed your completely ignorant of the fact that developing technologies for space exploration also helps people on earth? What an embarrassing level of ignorance.

How about you educate yourself a bit?
NASA has a technology transfer program.
What is a spinoff, and what is Spinoff?
A spinoff is a commercialized product that incorporates NASA technology or expertise. These include
products that:

were designed for NASA use, to NASA specifications, and then commercialized;
are developed as a result of a NASA-funded agreement or know-how gained during collaboration with NASA;
incorporate NASA technology in their manufacturing process;
receive significant contributions in design or testing from NASA laboratory personnel or facilities;
are entrepreneurial endeavors by ex-NASA employees whose technical expertise was developed while employed by the agency;
are developed using data or software made available by NASA.

Spinoff is an annual publication that features a number of these technologies each year. To learn more about the publication and its history, click here.

Serrato

Yawn. You don't do something because it's hard. That's not a reason.

Isn't this half the reason people play the Dark Soul series on this video game forum?

I agree that finding out about life in the universe would be nice, but there are more pressing issues to attend to.

Oh sorry, but why aren't you helping the starving children and resolving poverty instead of writing on a video game forum?

Seriously, those types of answers serves no purpose since we can try yo thrive for exploration and fufill our curiosity while attending to those pressing matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom