• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crimson Shroud |OT| Matsuno fails saving throw, relegated to eShop release

Soulhouf

Crimson Shroud really feels like a vertical slice in a bigger game.
The battle system, the equipment, the incredible details, the music, the writing, everything belongs to something much more ambitious.

GeekyDad

Crimson Shroud really feels like a vertical slice in a bigger game.
The battle system, the equipment, the incredible details, the music, the writing, everything belongs to something much more ambitious.

And yet they manage to make the story feel complete. It's remarkable how they tell such an engaging tale in a game with such a relatively small scope.

GeekyDad

And Sakimoto the music.

The music (and other sounds) in this game are truly amazing. It definitely plays off of the themes from FFT, but it's both welcome and still unique in its own way. The sound design can't be oversold here.

I will say this, though -- after (surprisingly) putting in about 20 hours with it now (doing NG+) -- they could have done a better job with the descriptions of spells/skills. You kinda have to figure certain things out for yourself through the GFAQs forum. Still, I'm kinda hooked on the game right now. I'm having to grind like mad to get that
stupid Obsidian thingy in Chapter 2
, but I'm not really minding it. I dig melding new, better gear.

I've only ventured a bit into chapter 2 (trying to find the key, I think?) but I'm really digging this already. Took me a few hours to get the hang of it. Once it started to click, though, hooboy. Great stuff! Loving the melding system, the skills, the attack/magic/item intricacies. That you can use a skill AND primary action in a single turn sounds simple and basic on paper but it's marvelous in practice.

The characters and writing are great, too. Didn't expect that. Love the wry, self-aware sense of humor.

Finally finished my first playthrough at about 9 hours. Totally clicked with me after chapter 2. What a great little game. Who knew you could cram amazing story, lore, world and characters into a downloadable title with minimal production values. Really want Matsuno to come back a do a sequel.

GeekyDad

Finally finished my first playthrough at about 9 hours. Totally clicked with me after chapter 2. What a great little game. Who knew you could cram amazing story, lore, world and characters into a downloadable title with minimal production values. Really want Matsuno to come back a do a sequel.

Yup. I think just the idea of it being a TRPG is what turned a lot of people off and made them not wanna even bother looking at it. But it's just a concentrated blast of RPG greatness.

Only thing is, with it being part of the Guild series, I wonder if there is any chance for a sequel, or even a spiritual successor of sorts. I hope so.

Gvaz

Banned
at 8 hours on chapter 3, mostly because grinding for melded gear. Some attacks atm do one damage to me, but RNG has fucked me on drops. Got a +6 composite bow for lippi so far tho :p

I just started playing this last night and I LOVE it. I bought it on sale for 2.99 just to support Matsuno and didn't think I'd actually like it, but wow. I thought the tabletop gameplay would turn me off, but it's really more of a turn-based JRPG with tabletop "roll for damage" mechanics so far.

I have a huge backlog of games. I was thinking "I want to play something sort of like FF Tactics with Sakimoto on soundtrack" and it took me a couple of Googles to remind myself I still have this on 3ds. The atmosphere is so classic Matsuno. Loving it.

Can't wait to play through it to the end.

I finally beat my first playthrough last night, clocked in about 16 hours. I've read that some people beat his game in 6 hours -- is that even possible?
The Witch Kings
were kicking my ass until I spent a good deal of time farming items.

I want more of this game. I guess I'll be playing New Game+ which I pretty much never do for any title.

I'm going to have the battle theme "Show Me Your Mettle" stuck in my head for weeks now. So good. Did they make a CD version of the soundtrack? I can't seem to find it.

Tomodachi

I finally beat my first playthrough last night, clocked in about 16 hours. I've read that some people beat his game in 6 hours -- is that even possible?
The Witch Kings
were kicking my ass until I spent a good deal of time farming items.

I want more of this game. I guess I'll be playing New Game+ which I pretty much never do for any title.

I'm going to have the battle theme "Show Me Your Mettle" stuck in my head for weeks now. So good. Did they make a CD version of the soundtrack? I can't seem to find it.

They did. NG+ is very good but damn is it hard. I gave up at the
Witch Kings
because it really gets crazy compared to the first time. Apparently there's a whole new ending too if you know how to unlock it.

Every time this thread pops up I'm reminded, it's so sad this was the extent the Matsuno x Level-5 collaboration went. Imagine if he were assigned a full-fledged home console game.

Top Bottom