• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crimson Shroud |OT| Matsuno fails saving throw, relegated to eShop release

NeededSleep

Just finished the game. My first 3DS game since i purchase the system (Fire Emblem still has not shipped from amazon for me.)

I really gotta say, this game was great for the price and kept me hooked till i finished!
The story and character building in what little this game had to build them was actually above par from some other games i have played recently. Loved the art style of the game with the little mini figures and fantasy setting.

I actually found myself doing Google searches for the figurines to see if they sold them >.>
I play table top games like descent sometimes, and i would love to play more into this universe with mini figures of this quality.... But alas there are none :(

I Hope this sold well, and they eventually think about doing another!

WhyMe6

I just started this, and I'm completely blown away by how wonderful it is. The tabletop RPG style and the atmosphere created by Basiscape's wonderful soundtrack and the GM writing is just magical. Though I've only just started Chapter 2, the game has already inspired me to try out actual tabletop RPGs - something I've never before shown the slightest interest in.

Oersted

Like it, especially the replay-value. The second area is the only real problem.

I just started this, and I'm completely blown away by how wonderful it is. The tabletop RPG style and the atmosphere created by Basiscape's wonderful soundtrack and the GM writing is just magical. Though I've only just started Chapter 2, the game has already inspired me to try out actual tabletop RPGs - something I've never before shown the slightest interest in.

Join the nerd-side of rpgs xD.

Finally beat this game. It took me just over 11 hours. I got to the Lich Kings and was getting murdered. I had to go back and grind for a few hours and start making effective use of melding before I even stood a chance. Now on the New Game+.
(after I'm done with Fire Emblem)

Also, I love the OST. Mitsuhiro Kaneda is definitely the star of the show, he's on most every great track in the game.

Finally beat this game. It took me just over 11 hours. I got to the Lich Kings and was getting murdered. I had to go back and grind for a few hours and start making effective use of melding before I even stood a chance. Now on the New Game+.
(after I'm done with Fire Emblem)

Also, I love the OST. Mitsuhiro Kaneda is definitely the star of the show, he's on most every great track in the game.

Sakimoto's got the rest of his crew doing the leitmotif, theming, and building with the horns damn well now. Magnificent!

Zornica

Banned
So I finally got this, progressed through the first floor and now I am farming the skelletons. It wouldn't be so bad, but frea seams kinda useless. why is she so weak? Is there any setup to make her stronger? she barely does any damage, especially against the skelletons. ~28 dmg with full buffs for a 30 mana spell is the best I could do.
So, what am I doing wrong here?

Maybe you're not using the right spell? I dunno, Frea was always a solid damage dealer for me. Maybe try throwing a few debuffs around as well

which one would be "the right spell"?
I've got all the element staffs, but none of them do any significant damage. my other staffs just heal.

Diablos54

So I finally got this, progressed through the first floor and now I am farming the skelletons. It wouldn't be so bad, but frea seams kinda useless. why is she so weak? Is there any setup to make her stronger? she barely does any damage, especially against the skelletons. ~28 dmg with full buffs for a 30 mana spell is the best I could do.
So, what am I doing wrong here?
Maybe you're not using the right spell? I dunno, Frea was always a solid damage dealer for me. Maybe try throwing a few debuffs around as well

Sakimoto's got the rest of his crew doing the leitmotif, theming, and building with the horns damn well now. Magnificent!

Yeah, usually Sakimoto beats you in the head with his main theme but now he had it outsourced to the rest of his team.

Kenada did the best job of arranging it though, especially in "In the Palm of Her Hand". Magnificent indeed.

Finished this a while ago. Definitely one of my most memorable gaming experience of last year. Didn't think the story and atmosphere would keep me at the edge of my seat like it did. Shouldn't have doubted Matsuno, especially given how I loved every single one of his games (Vagrant Story, especially).
I'm now absolutely craving for more of this wonderful world and story and crafted, hopefully in preparation for a full fledged sequel ! Crossing fingers...
In the meantime, I guess I should return to this game to complete the NG+ .
Also, currently listening to the soundtrack links posted in this thread. So good !

Bento

Hello, quick question here, planning to buy Fire Emblem but need to make some space on my SD card, does anyone here know if I'll lose my save if I delete the game? Or is that saved in extra data stuff?

Tomodachi

Just finished it. Woah. I loved every minute of it (well, maybe they should have fixed the infamous randomly dropping key item, but it happens only once, and I really don't think this is a heavily grind-based game as most claims... but I hear ng+ is much harder, so maybe they're referring to that?). I'm glad I bought a 3DS XL just for this gem.

I think it's an amazing experiment in jrpgs and I really wish we could see more of this approach. Small jrpgs with solid writing and story and high replayability, fewer but longer battles than usual (I loved this aspect a lot. It's so much better to have few battles but more thoughtful and meaningful). To me this aspect AND all the other original mechanics in the game prove Matsuno still got it and that it would be a tremendous loss for the genre if he stopped making videogames. It's a pity he left Level-5, the support they gave him really turned out wonderfully, imho. The 3D use perfectly matches the tabletop rpg style they choose. Hearing Sakimoto work with other composer was also very nice, since full-Sakimoto OSTs tend to be heavy at times.

I thought there were multiple endings but I just read another one is shown after ng+ so I'm going to dig right into it.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Crimson Shroud went on sale in NA today for $4.99, so I finally bought it. I went in mostly blind and with faith in Matsuno. I really enjoyed the first couple of chapters and I'm not sure I'll enjoy the slow and deliberate tabletop mechanics, but I am sure the story will carry me through.

Help!!! Can someone explain to me the item stats comparison on the bottom right of the screen?

If she has the Ybarra Crown equipped and I'm looking at the Ybarra Crown why would anything be in red? I'm very confused.

I've done this fight in the
Gerseym Waterway trying to get the Obsidian Daphne
like 10 times now without success. I was really enjoying the game up until this part and now I hate it. It's literally insane game design to require a random drop from a randomly appearing enemy before you can progress. What were they thinking?!

Diablos54

I've done this fight in the
Gerseym Waterway trying to get the Obsidian Daphne
like 10 times now without success. I was really enjoying the game up until this part and now I hate it. It's literally insane game design to require a random drop from a randomly appearing enemy before you can progress. What were they thinking?!
Archers are the key, kill as many as them as you can, it shouldn't take much longer than an hour. It is a silly design decision though no doubt, one of the few.

I'm at 4 1/2 hours total game time; I didn't keep track of when I started this wild goose chase but I'd guess I've been at it for 1 1/2 hours. It's incredibly maddening. Half the time no mages spawn (even when I take out the archers first); the other half mages spawn in but don't drop the item.

LLShC.gif
LLShC.gif
LLShC.gif
LLShC.gif
LLShC.gif
LLShC.gif
LLShC.gif
LLShC.gif
LLShC.gif
LLShC.gif

Is there anything I need to do to make them drop the item, I've explored every other area in this dungeon.

Tomodachi

Got the bad ending. Bummer. =(

If I understood it correctly you can't get the good ending on the first playthrough... I'm playing the newgame+ to see the good ending but I've been stuck at the Witch Kings for like two weeks :( I don't even know where to grind, the only battles available don't drop useful equipment.

Is there any chance of Level 5 spinning this out into a full blown sequel (on a console or otherwise)? I really love the miniature/diorama aesthetic.

Tomodachi

Is there any chance of Level 5 spinning this out into a full blown sequel (on a console or otherwise)? I really love the miniature/diorama aesthetic.

Matsuno left Level-5 so unless somebody else will be appointed director of an eventual sequel... but I wouldn't count on it, nor I would want it without the original team to be honest.

I'm at 4 1/2 hours total game time; I didn't keep track of when I started this wild goose chase but I'd guess I've been at it for 1 1/2 hours. It's incredibly maddening. Half the time no mages spawn (even when I take out the archers first); the other half mages spawn in but don't drop the item.

LLShC.gif
LLShC.gif
LLShC.gif
LLShC.gif
LLShC.gif
LLShC.gif
LLShC.gif
LLShC.gif
LLShC.gif
LLShC.gif

Is there anything I need to do to make them drop the item, I've explored every other area in this dungeon.

Currently on NG+, got the item on the first try in my first run through now I've fought this same stupid encounter over a dozen times and it refuses to freaking drop.

Such a stupid gameplay decision. If it doesn't drop within the next 30 mins I give up.

I want to see the good ending though... :/

Tomodachi

I give up. Second last boss in NG+ made me cry bitter tears, that's it, I really don't have time to grind too. I read about the good ending and it seems kinda lame, so it's all good :p

Great game nonetheless, I just wish you could get both endings during the first playthrough or that it was somewhat easier to grind (the only rooms I can go into right now very rarely drop equipment, and every battle is 15+ minutes long... I can't).

Croc

Banned
Okay so I just started playing this after buying it during the sale and I'm really liking it except I can't figure out how to read the stats.

How do I tell if an item is better than the one I have equipped? What does bonus mean and what does current mean?

Cosmozone

Sorry for bumping, but I've also begun to play this recently and have another question. How do I use the bonus dice? I really can't figure it out. E.g. when attacking, after selecting the target, the dice appear at the bottom. I can select one of them, but nothing happens with it? If I go back to the target, it is deselected again. Also pressing A does something like a lift, but nothing else. Wah!

The stats also confused me, searching the net dug up a small Gamefaqs thread:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/685766-crimson-shroud/64955981

Croc

Banned
Sorry for bumping, but I've also begun to play this recently and have another question. How do I use the bonus dice? I really can't figure it out. E.g. when attacking, after selecting the target, the dice appear at the bottom. I can select one of them, but nothing happens with it? If I go back to the target, it is deselected again. Also pressing A does something like a lift, but nothing else. Wah!

The stats also confused me, searching the net dug up a small Gamefaqs thread:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/685766-crimson-shroud/64955981

Ah thanks! Now I think I'll actually try and start playing again since I will know what to equip.

Cosmozone

You have to select the dice with the a button, then bring them up and press the a button again to place them. If memory serves.
Ah, found it. You must drag the dice into the action stat number you want to enhance. That was not really easily guessable from the explanation. Thanks for the hint. Pretty neat game so far. Somewhat extensively written and has a visual novel style to it in a classic fantasy setting. I like how the title screen dice move when you hit the 3DS on the side. If I only knew what an "ablutory" is. The dictionary didn't know it as well. :)

'Ablution or performing one's ablutions is the act of washing oneself, in particular:

for hygiene
for ritual purification:
Ablution in Islam: Wudu, Ghusl, and Tayammum
Ablution in Christianity
Ablution in Judaism

Ablutions are also washing facilities, or a building in which such facilities are located. A modern day example of an "ablution" is a public toilet block.'

I'm assuming you perform your ablutions in an ablutory.

I'm stuck on a fight. It's with two goblins and minotaur and there's the fog of war. The fog of war affects my accuracy, but never the enemies. I get wiped out for 100 dmg by the minotaur with two consecutive hits. Any tips? I can't seem to equip new weapons. It doesn't give me the option.

It's been a while since I've played, but can you access a save where you can change up your inventory? Buffs that boost accuracy may counteract the bad fog, maybe the girl has a staff that lets you do that.

GeekyDad

Regretting having not nabbed it while it was on sale, but even at $8, it seems like a great deal. I knew it was going to be one of those games you just have to be in the mood for, and I didn't wanna spend more money on something I wasn't going to play for who knows when. Now I'm in the mood. :p

Gvaz

Banned
I was looking around to find a neat rpg for cheap on the 3DS and I saw this. Then I saw "Level-5" and went "yep that's an instant buy"

I'm so happy to know this was worth every penny even 10 minutes in.

Diablos54

I was looking around to find a neat rpg for cheap on the 3DS and I saw this. Then I saw "Level-5" and went "yep that's an instant buy"

I'm so happy to know this was worth every penny even 10 minutes in.
It's not Level 5 that makes this an instand buy, it's MATSUUUUNO!!

GeekyDad

Finally nabbed it this time around (on sale again, if you haven't heard). Pretty much really loving it. Not so much for the gameplay (though being able to roll many sided dice is a real treat), really, but the entire presentation is just so excellent. The story is incredibly gripping, not something I expected from a downloadable game. And the music -- my Lord -- it's pristine and elegant, moving and powerful. Still not entirely sure how I feel about not leveling up, but I am addicted to earning new loot. I like the way the system works, and as you get further in, you can't take everything with you after a battle. Lots of interesting considerations with gear. Was a little surprised undead (so far anyway) weren't really affected in any special way by Light magic, though.

Soulhouf

Finally nabbed it this time around (on sale again, if you haven't heard). Pretty much really loving it. Not so much for the gameplay (though being able to roll many sided dice is a real treat), really, but the entire presentation is just so excellent. The story is incredibly gripping, not something I expected from a downloadable game. And the music -- my Lord -- it's pristine and elegant, moving and powerful. Still not entirely sure how I feel about not leveling up, but I am addicted to earning new loot. I like the way the system works, and as you get further in, you can't take everything with you after a battle. Lots of interesting considerations with gear. Was a little surprised undead (so far anyway) weren't really affected in any special way by Light magic, though.

You can only expect greatness when Matsuno does the game design and story.

GeekyDad

You can only expect greatness when Matsuno does the game design and story.

What's the deal with Chapter 2? I have that
Obsidian thing, but I still can't get through that gate?

Can i permanently learn new skills and magic or does it always come from the equipment that i wear?

Yeah, it's solely tied to your gear (according to the tutorials, anyway).

ZenaxPure

Man, seeing this thread bumped makes me feel bad that I have barely even started this game despite buying it at basically launch.

I was actually digging the combat too, it's not very often that I feel like turn based combat is very good anymore, but they went out of their way to do a lot of interesting things and make it better than "lol spam attack every turn then be bored with your life".

I need to get back to it :(

GeekyDad

Man, seeing this thread bumped makes me feel bad that I have barely even started this game despite buying it at basically launch.

I was actually digging the combat too, it's not very often that I feel like turn based combat is very good anymore, but they went out of their way to do a lot of interesting things and make it better than "lol spam attack every turn then be bored with your life".

I need to get back to it :(

I would say it's probably best to start a new game, since the story is very much worth seeing through. If you haven't touched it since launch, you likely won't remember most of the context.

GeekyDad

Wow, at that ending! Just finished it. Amazing $5 game. Puts everything else on eShop in that price range to shame. Fantastic stuff.

Top Bottom