• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cryptocurrency |OT| Nothing from Money

gaming_noob

there will be a SegWit2x update and block size increase for BTC in november. i dont think it will cause too much turbulence.

however, the market is growing really fast. we might be in for a large correction even before november.

Thanks. HODL is the way to go.

ARK has a long way to go still in my opinion. I genuinely see it as a $50 coin in a year or two. Wouldn't worry about any small dips.

It'll be worth the wait.

In your opinion, what do you think NAV may go up to? $20-$30 seems to be the range I'm getting from some investors.

pieface

Thanks. HODL is the way to go.

It'll be worth the wait.

In your opinion, what do you think NAV may go up to? $20-$30 seems to be the range I'm getting from some investors.

Yeah I think NAV could reach that. They might be re-branding too soon if I remember correctly. Talented team and an interesting coin.

I think it will probably get to the region that XMR was around the $30 for a long time. But could take a year or two to get there.

The Rizza

Coverted most of my ETH into NEO and got a little bit of ARK on the side to hold. Not a daytrader by any means and am holding my coins for the long term. I'm also going to vote with my Ark, but it's my first time so I'm not 100% about it. Which delegate do you guys recommend? I've seen Jarunik's name mentioned a couple times. Is that the best one?

Donos

There is not really a "best" one. Here are the proposals https://www.reddit.com/r/ArkDelegates/. Jarunik is a reddit mod and his proposal looked solid to me. He was in the TOP10 of the ranking at that time and did daily payments so i voted for him. He also covers the fee, which not every delegate does.

He just switched to weekly payments though till the fees get reduced. Announcement here

There are calculators out there to see how much ARK you would get from a delegate in the top51.Look to the right "Profit Calculators" at the "ArkDelegates" reddit page.

Brohan

Coverted most of my ETH into NEO and got a little bit of ARK on the side to hold. Not a daytrader by any means and am holding my coins for the long term. I'm also going to vote with my Ark, but it's my first time so I'm not 100% about it. Which delegate do you guys recommend? I've seen Jarunik's name mentioned a couple times. Is that the best one?

He's a trustworthy delegate that aims to support the ARK community.

He gave a really good ROI about a week back.. around 10% roi yearly but it has gone down to about 7% or maybe a little less because he has gotten alot of new voters.

So a very good delegate but no longer one with the best ROI.

Tk0n

He just switched to weekly payments though till the fees get reduced. Announcement here

daily payout is stupid for "small" holders anyway. i think at the moment you would need more than 500 ark so that a daily payment and the transfer fee dont cancel each other out.
jarunik pays the tranfer fees, but i can understand that he doesnt want to pay more in transfer fees than he is paying out.

here is a handy calculator for your ROI:
http://calculator.reconnico.com/

Tk0n

for whom it may concern, the new lbry app came out an hour ago and LBC is jumping a bit upwards. might be a trend reversal, might be just a fluke and it goes down again in an hour.
still has a long way to go to reach former hights.

tzare

Be sure when converting your $ into crypto by buying on Coinbase you never buy BTC. The fee to xfer that BTC to Bittrex or anywhere else is so much higher than if you just buy LTC or ETH instead.

Im doing all LTC now, and it really is nice to save ~8+ dollars in fees and whatnot. Buying BTC is just setting money on fire. You will be able to convert it to BTC cheaper once you get it on the exchange anyway.

Hi, just getting started with all this crypto currency thing, i just created a coinbase and a kraken account.
But if i want to buy alternative coins, where should i go and have an account?

My initial idea was to spend about 200€ to see jow this works, maybe 60€ on BTC, 60€ on ETH and maybe buy some ATS tokens( understand this coin has yet to be released) , 50€ more or less. And maybe a few more euros on one of the coins of the list commish posted.

And i have a bit of a hard time understanding how to store the coins i buy. I know the exchanges act as a digital wallet, but can i have a local backup or even backup them on ggole drive for example?

Thanks!

edit: i created an account on Bittrex but saw this: Do not withdrawal directly to a crowdfund or ICO. We will not credit your account with tokens from that sale.
Is this a problem on most exchanges? Because i wanted to go for those ATS tokens , and do not know how to buy them

Tk0n

Hi, just getting started with all this crypto currency thing, i just created a coinbase and a kraken account.
But if i want to buy alternative coins, where should i go and have an account?

bittrex is well established and has a good fair amount of traded tokens. can take a bit till youre authorised. but its not too complicated.
on binance you can get going fairly quick. they are new and dont have that many tokens but you can trade the amount of 2btc each day without much hassle.

My initial idea was to spend about 200€ to see jow this works, maybe 60€ on BTC, 60€ on ETH and maybe buy some ATS tokens( understand this coin has yet to be released) , 50€ more or less. And maybe a few more euros on one of the coins of the list commish posted.

And i have a bit of a hard time understanding how to store the coins i buy. I know the exchanges act as a digital wallet, but can i have a local backup or even backup them on ggole drive for example?

Thanks!

you can store youre coins on the exchange or transfer them to a local wallet. transfering your coins in and out of the exchange will cost you fees. different coins will have different wallets. often you can transfer the money to the wallet, encrypt it and then you could to put your wallet.dat on google drive for instance. but that depends on the coin.

for large amounts, storing on the exchange is not adviced because exchanges have been hacked or gone broke/offline in the past. then your coins could be gone.

for small amounts, storing on the exchange is normaly not a problem.

edit: i created an account on Bittrex but saw this: Do not withdrawal directly to a crowdfund or ICO. We will not credit your account with tokens from that sale.
Is this a problem on most exchanges? Because i wanted to go for those ATS tokens , and do not know how to buy them

yeah, that would be a problem. i think you need eth to buy ATS? you could use https://www.myetherwallet.com/
or a lokal wallet to transfer your funds. there are quite a few of them. https://coinsutra.com/best-etherum-wallets/

Donos

Use myetherwallet.com (send ETH from there to ICO and use the MEW adress to recieve ATS token there):
To receive the ATS token, you can prepare your Myetherwallet by adding the ATS contract address with this detail :

The ATS token contract address is : 0x2dAEE1AA61D60A252DC80564499A69802853583A

Token Symbol: ATS
Token Name: Authorship Token
Token decimals: 4

By adding this detail now. Once the ICO launched at 15 September, you can save time and get that token delivered directly to you.

If you don't know how to add a new token, here is a helpful guide with pictures and clear explaination.

https://steemit.com/ico/@judas/update-on-the-authorship-ats-token

Afrodium

Banned
I'm trying to recover an old Bitcoin wallet from 2013 that I think has like a fraction of a Bitcoin in it. I have a backup of the wallet and the 12 word mnemonic, but I don't have the password for it. Blockchain appears to have the ability to recover funds with the mnemonic, but when I try do do so it doesn't let me click the 'continue' button to proceed. I'm reading up on it and it appears that this may have to do with how old the wallet is, and there being new protocols for more recent wallets that aren't in place on this one. Is there any way to recover this wallet if I don't know the password but do know the mnemonic?

there will be a SegWit2x update and block size increase for BTC in november.

Maybe. Maybe not. Support for SegWit2x seems to be rapidly fading.

https://www.coindesk.com/f2pool-reneges-mining-pool-pulls-segwit2x-support-hard-fork/

The NYA was broken almost immediately by Jihan and the BCH miners. Many others signed without realizing it had no support from the core development team.

After hodling Bitcoin for awhile, it seems every couple of months there's always some crisis that's supposed to bring it all crashing down. Yet it just keeps gaining value. I'm not too concerned.

Finally setting up the ARK wallet. Seems easy? Secure the passphrase they give me, type the words they ask me to, send ark to the address at the top?

tzare

Finally setting up the ARK wallet. Seems easy? Secure the passphrase they give me, type the words they ask me to, send ark to the address at the top?

which wallet are you using for ark?

it is a little confusing to have different wallets depending on the coin ^^

bigedole

So how many people are like me and have invested a relatively small amount and are just hoping it'll blow up in the next 5 years? I went with 1 bitcoin about 3 weeks ago, when it was 4k a piece. Between ARK, OMG and DGB I now have about 5.7k worth of currencies. My ultimate hope is that in 15 years I can use this one 5k investment to pay for both of my kid's college educations lol (if it's not free already :p)

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
The official ARK client on their website. I was able to make my test transfer from bittrex go through. It's pretty slick.

Yeah, always send that test transfer first. I'm not gonna lie - even though I've moved coins around many times before, I'm always terrified each time I do it that I did it wrong.

bigedole

I've transferred in and out of my ARK wallet at least a dozen times using the official client. It's very easy, fast and straightforward. No complaints. It's the only wallet I use, the rest of my currency I just keep in my bittrex account, so I'm not sure what issues other wallets have typically.

Yeah, always send that test transfer first. I'm not gonna lie - even though I've moved coins around many times before, I'm always terrified each time I do it that I did it wrong.

Yea, Im glad I read some stories on here before doing it. I can see how it can go wrong. Even after this test transfer, I find myself nervous to send the bulk lol.

**edit**

Did it. Sent 75% of my ARK to the wallet. Smooth process.

tzare

The official ARK client on their website. I was able to make my test transfer from bittrex go through. It's pretty slick.

is the desktop wallet link in this adress? https://ark.io/

how does it work? do i have to transfer from other wallets/exchange ? It only supports ark i guess

pd. sorry if my questions may be a bit dumb, but i feel a bit confused with so much info and coins and wallets right now ^^

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
is the desktop wallet link in this adress? https://ark.io/

how does it work? do i have to transfer from other wallets/exchange ? It only supports ark i guess

pd. sorry if my questions may be a bit dumb, but i feel a bit confused with so much info and coins and wallets right now ^^

It's a lot to understand, trust me, we all get it :)

Yes - you buy from an exchange (e.g., Bittrex) and then you send it to your Ark wallet on your computer. It only holds ARK.

Edit: NAV is really doing something. At another ATH.

Edit: From the time I made my first edit to this second edit, it went up another 15 cents. Yikes.

Kenstar

NAV mooning that hard Can't be stable right? Feels like pure Fomo.

Meanwhile IOTA isn't doing too Hot right now.

glad i got out of iota, it had a really predictable slow rise to a buck and then tanked when others started mooning and many like me pulled out of iota to catch the wave im guessing

Im on bittrex trying to find a coin thats recent yet had no large spikes, consistently flat and valued low, and will just buy a bunch and put a sell order for double the current value and wait for some pumpers to do my dirty work in an unknown amount of time

Luschient

Man, LTC is going nuts. People who bought in at the dollar prices must be living the dream right now.

lol, I got them @ $30 and feel like I'm living the dream right now :)

My plan all along w/ LTC was to hold until they hit $1k. Hopefully that magical time comes before I'm six feet under!

Jzero

lol, I got them @ $30 and feel like I'm living the dream right now :)

My plan all along w/ LTC was to hold until they hit $1k. Hopefully that magical time comes before I'm six feet under!

I feel like an idiot once again. It wasn't moving at all so i didn't buy at $20

Donos

So how many people are like me and have invested a relatively small amount and are just hoping it'll blow up in the next 5 years? I went with 1 bitcoin about 3 weeks ago, when it was 4k a piece. Between ARK, OMG and DGB I now have about 5.7k worth of currencies. My ultimate hope is that in 15 years I can use this one 5k investment to pay for both of my kid's college educations lol (if it's not free already :p)
"small amount" > 1 BTC at 4k ... :) Some here invest 100 €/$ or less. 4k $ is small compared to whales yeah :p

glad i got out of iota, it had a really predictable slow rise to a buck and then tanked when others started mooning and many like me pulled out of iota to catch the wave im guessing

IOTA is a slow burner but a "sure" bet for me. Got some more for me and gf when it dipped.

DNT keps going to the basement although i think the district voting tech is interesting (don't have any DNT anymore).

Afrodium

Banned
So with BTC, ETH, and LTC rising right now should I start buying crypto or wait until they level out? Thinking about grabbing some LTC.

Tk0n

sold a few bnb and bought a few walton on binance. only a little invest, because of the risk that it drops hard. its only traded since a few days and seems to big names on board (ex samsung vp is principal scientist (whatever that means)). could have a lot of potential.

edit: already up 30%... jeez
edit2: help, its a rollercoaster!
20% down and then up again and then 10% down and up again. all within 5 minutes...

Top Bottom