• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cryptocurrency |OT| Nothing from Money

Danielsan

Yeah it's insane. It's a bummer i didnt start immediately after the crash.

My first two weeks i fucked up so much and i'm still like 30-40% up.. This really shows that there really is money to be made in crypto.
Yup. I'm only at it for a little over 2 weeks. So many mistakes made, and I'm only in with a tiny bit of cash (my 1 month trial budget). But honestly, even a blind man will see great returns as I'm currently up over 50%. Then again, I'm also learning that the swings can be fast and hard. I was down a significant amount due to NEO debacle and I'm fairly certain that recent gains will normalize as well. Still, if it ends up being 30% in the green, that's nothing to sneeze at.

Yeah it's insane. It's a bummer i didnt start immediately after the crash.

My first two weeks i fucked up so much and i'm still like 30-40% up.. This really shows that there really is money to be made in crypto.

Tell me about it! I started in july and went all in on ETH at ATH. Panicked, sold at a loss and lost almost half my investment. Then I got into AntShares at 5$, all in. Never looked back.

After an initial investment of around 3k, I put some more $$$ and now maybe around 5k worth of investment, I just hit 20k these last 2 weeks and it's been hovering around there.

Thing is, I got lucky. Made a lot of mistakes in the beginning and saw my 3K being reduced to 900$. I was almost crying then lol.
After you hit a good coin that makes you amazing returns (like NEO did for me) you start to get that it's possible to make money. A lot of it.

Now I just basically research and invest long term. No more panic selling for me.

Sony

Nintendo
Couple of days ago I was like:
"heh, Rise is funny name for a coin, I bet it'll rise fast, I'll put 10 euro in it just for shits and giggles"
Then I forgot abouit because of a phonecall.

Now: +135%.

My cryptostory so far.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Tell me about it! I started in july and went all in on ETH at ATH. Panicked, sold at a loss and lost almost half my investment. Then I got into AntShares at 5$, all in. Never looked back.

After an initial investment of around 3k, I put some more $$$ and now maybe around 5k worth of investment, I just hit 20k these last 2 weeks and it's been hovering around there.

Thing is, I got lucky. Made a lot of mistakes in the beginning and saw my 3K being reduced to 900$. I was almost crying then lol.
After you hit a good coin that makes you amazing returns (like NEO did for me) you start to get that it's possible to make money. A lot of it.

Now I just basically research and invest long term. No more panic selling for me.

The panic buying and selling is the real enemy for folks. Just have to have patience. As I told a coworker, investing in crypto is not for the faint of heart :)

Donos

The panic buying and selling is the real enemy for folks. Just have to have patience. As I told a coworker, investing in crypto is not for the faint of heart :)

Lost that feeling completely after i cashed out tripple the amount i invested and still had a huge chunk to play with alt coins. Now i'm completely relaxed if any coin goes ballistic or dips to hell. That crypto adventure already played out way better than expected. Sold all my NEO at almost ATH for that though (bougtht at 5€ and 7-8€). But my other coins had good gains since then so i don't shed a tear if NEO goes to 100 € or something like that. I kept exactly 2 NEO for the case that it goes to 1000+ € in 3 years or so ;)

If i would invest 6k $ in one coin like one poster a couple pages ago (and don't tell my gf) and that coin goes on a major dip, i would probably be in panic sell mode too :).

Sony

Nintendo

Yeah, I steadily came to terms with that after I caught myself having eye contact with blockfolio instead of my date yesterday. I was like what the hell am I doing, I have issues..

Donos

:p you know that somebody is going to shop that meme with the guy looking at another girl with "blockfolio" on that girl.

I have followed a very similar path. I bought Eth when it was around $150 back in May, I did a lot of buying and selling with it when it got all the way to the $270 and back down to the $180. I was able to make some extra money and building on my Eth. Then Eth was stagnant at that $200-$230 mark, so I started taking that money and placing it in some Alts like DGB, Stratis, and SC not really knowing what I was doing. I ended up losing some money with Stratis. After some research end of June/early July lead me to Antshares where I started taking my losses from Stratis and then all of Eth and profits, dumping it into ANS.

NEO got me in a good spot when we were at the ATH. When we finally dropped back in the upper $30's, I did some stupid trading with it and lost some coins. I ended up taking my initial investment out and put the rest back into NEO and have been toying around with a bunch of other alts. I am hoping that I can find another token like NEO to make some more money down the road.

Lisk was also a nice little winner for me too.

I think that I have learned my lesson trying to chase and even more so, trying to do some trading with a token like NEO which is so up and down. Doing some panic buying and selling hasn't helped at all, so I've learned to stay away from that garbage.

Sulik2

Dang I was really hoping this week would be the start of ARK's rise to fame, but its calmed down. Just going to have to wait for the Smart Contracts to hit.

Brohan

Dang I was really hoping this week would be the start of ARK's rise to fame, but its calmed down. Just going to have to wait for the Smart Contracts to hit.

It has a good support level now and ACES is supposed to be released any day now so it's the perfect time to buy.

pieface

For any ARKers here, i've been in contact with Binance and they are running a monthly poll where you can vote for a coin to get added to their exchange. ARK will be in the list this month.

I'll provide a voting link when they provide it. If we can get on Binance, we moon.

All in good time. Was only a couple of weeks ago we were under $1.

Lots of good news coming up. It's BTC's time to shine right now.

Red

Anyone know how to withdraw NEO through Bittrex? No matter what amount I choose I'm given an "amount must be an integer" error.

Anyone know how to withdraw NEO through Bittrex? No matter what amount I choose I'm given an "amount must be an integer" error.

NEO isn't divisible, you can only take our whole NEO coins. People lost money because they didn't know that, so it seems they might have fixed it and prevent users from mistakenly selling parts of coins and having them vanish

I am kinda new and added cash to coinbase but it has little to no options for coins to purchase. I like bitstamp but also has little options so I will keep that for my xrp. I moved bitcoin from coinbase to bittrex but through my phone I don't see how to buy any coins... maybe I need to be in a pc? I see my bitcoins but there's only deposit / withdrawal options

Brohan

Couldn't agree more. I hope it holds low for a bit longer so I can accumulate more.

I really want more aswell but don't have any fiat to spare right now... my only option would be to sell some or all IOTA i have and then buy back into IOTA later... but i really don't want to sell my IOTA at a loss.. and there is a chance that IOTA could start seeing big gains since they have been making multiple anouncements lately including news of new exchanges coming up...

What to do?!!

Edit: @pieface, I will definitely vote once the link is available.

Sony

Nintendo
Ugh... another NEO Fall...

I think the best thing to do right now is to sell everything I have and hold BTC, holy fuck at that rise.

Donos

I am kinda new and added cash to coinbase but it has little to no options for coins to purchase. I like bitstamp but also has little options so I will keep that for my xrp. I moved bitcoin from coinbase to bittrex but through my phone I don't see how to buy any coins... maybe I need to be in a pc? I see my bitcoins but there's only deposit / withdrawal options

Only options on coinbase are BTC (bitcoin), ETH (Ethereum) and Litecoin (LTC).

1. Get ETH on coinbase > 2. join Bittrex (popular exchange with a winde range of alt coins) > 3. send ETH to Bittrex / other exchange (Poloniex, Bitfinex) , 4. sell ETH into BTC > 5. get alt coins with BTC. Some exchanges have pairs where you can get the altcoins with ETH (Bitfinex: ETH/IOTA e.g.).

You can also get BTC on coinbase and skip the step 4 "sell eth to BTC" but then expect longer transfer times. Up to a day.

Only options on coinbase are BTC (bitcoin), ETH (Ethereum) and Litecoin (LTC).

1. Get ETH on coinbase > 2. join Bittrex (popular exchange with a winde range of alt coins) > 3. send ETH to Bittrex / other exchange (Poloniex, Bitfinex) , 4. sell ETH into BTC > 5. get alt coins with BTC. Some exchanges have pairs where you can get the altcoins with ETH (Bitfinex: ETH/IOTA e.g.).

You can also get BTC on coinbase and skip the step 4 "sell eth to BTC" but then expect longer transfer times. Up to a day.

I did get my bitcoins to bittrex already but on the mobile website I can't seem to buy any of the other coins? (Btw $2 fee on bitcoin then another $4 to transfer to bittrex is such a scam)

Donos

I did get my bitcoins to bittrex already but on the mobile website I can't seem to buy any of the other coins? (Btw $2 fee on bitcoin then another $4 to transfer to bittrex is such a scam)

mobile site of Bittrex is a bit of a pain.

At the main page you see a bitcoin logo with "markets" right beside it. To the right is a window. Enter for example SC (siacoin) and it shows you the BTC-SC pair. Klick the (blue) pair and scroll down till you see "Trading". There then is "buy siacoin" space and how much BTC you have. Enter the amount SC you want at "units" or how much BTC you want to invest (over the "buy siacon" button) and it shows you how muc SC that is in the units line. then under "bid" use last price.

On PC i always just go to the wallet and enter the coin i want/search in the search window and then cklick the name. Then it leads you to the buy/sell window.

At the main page you see a bitcoin logo with "markets" right beside it. To the right is a window. Enter for example SC (siacoin) and it shows you the BTC-SC pair. Klick the (blue) pair and scroll down till you see "Trading". There then is "buy siacoin" space and how much BTC you have. Enter the amount SC you want at "units" or how much BTC you want to invest (over the "buy siacon" button) and it shows you how muc SC that is in the units line. then under "bid" use last price.

On PC i always just go to the wallet and enter the coin i want/search in the search window and then cklick the name. Then it leads you to the buy/sell window.

Wow that is confusing, I gotta wait til I'm home because on my phone I only see bid/sell and there's no buy anything box displaying but my display is all jacked up

Alright so I've decided I want to dip my toe into all this hocus-pocus magic coin malarkey. More out of curiosity rather than with the intent of making actual money.

I'm thinking about putting in about £40. I was thinking of splitting £10 across Bit, Lite and Ether just to see if it's worth more next month than it is today.

For the final £10, I was thinking about taking a very low-risk (low risk in that I don't care about losing £10) gamble on some cheap new currencies. How would one go about choosing what to buy? Is there any way to tell that something might be worth "investing" in? Anyone have any suggestions?

pieface

Hope some of you invested in NAV which I posted about the other day. Doing well :D

There's a huge gap for another anon-coin since XMR mooned. Looks like it could be NAV

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Hope some of you invested in NAV which I posted about the other day. Doing well :D

There's a huge gap for another anon-coin since XMR mooned. Looks like it could be NAV

It's funny, I decided to buy NAV randomly last night to get into the anon coin game on the cheap. Wish I had bought more than I did but I had not much to spend.

gaming_noob

Yep. Bought 1300 at 0.61 when u mentioned it. Bought another 700 yesterday when it dropped to 0.56. Not counting my chickens yet but if this is the next Monero then you are a Godsend.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
This is the reason that I will take my laptop to my spa vacation next week :p

For any ARKers here, i've been in contact with Binance and they are running a monthly poll where you can vote for a coin to get added to their exchange. ARK will be in the list this month.

I'll provide a voting link when they provide it. If we can get on Binance, we moon..

What about other exchanges, like Bitstamp?

On other news, bought some more ARK on this moment :)

Brohan

Is there any way NAV differentiates itself from Monero or other privacy coins?? I mean in the end i can't see too many coins with the same idea surviving.

There can't be many victors right?

Donos

For the final £10, I was thinking about taking a very low-risk (low risk in that I don't care about losing £10) gamble on some cheap new currencies. How would one go about choosing what to buy? Is there any way to tell that something might be worth "investing" in? Anyone have any suggestions?

Maybe have a look at DGB (~660),SC (~1450) or DNT (~110).()=amount of coins you get for 10 GBP. There are other promising sub 10 cent coins. Look at coinmarketcap.

https://dontpanicsell.com/ might help with knowing more about them. https://www.reddit.com/r/CryptoCurrency/ for maybe getting a feel of what's hot or coming up atm.

Maybe have a look at DGB (~660),SC (~1450) or DNT (~110).()=amount of coins you get for 10 GBP. There are other promising sub 10 cent coins. Look at coinmarketcap.

https://dontpanicsell.com/ might help with knowing more about them. https://www.reddit.com/r/CryptoCurrency/ for maybe getting a feel of what's hot or coming up atm.

Thanks very much! I'll have a read through that stuff.

Am I correct in thinking that these newer coins can't be purchased directly yet, and that I'll need to purchase something else as an intermediate and then use an exchange to get them? Or is there somewhere reputable that will let me purchase whatever I want?

pieface

What about other exchanges, like Bitstamp?

On other news, bought some more ARK on this moment :)

Not sure, i'm not on the ARK team or not an ARK dev or anything, anyone can ask the exchanges to add ARK...try it :D

Is there any way NAV differentiates itself from Monero or other privacy coins?? I mean in the end i can't see too many coins with the same idea surviving.

There can't be many victors right?

Apparently they are more anonymous than Moreno so better tech. Doing the same thing but in a different way.

Sony

Nintendo
The Authorship (ATS) ICO is still offering 75 free tokens (~$10) if you sign up for their newsletter: http://bounty.authorship.com/ref/h8115336

All you need is an ERC20-compatible wallet like MyEtherWallet.

Full disclosure: I will get a referral bonus if you use my link.

So you create 10 mail accounts.. you get 100 dollars worth of tokens..? sounds a bit fishy to me.

By the way, if anyone has the balls (not me), it's fairly easy to predict the range in which NEO falls and rises... if you're a daytrader/ hourtrader you can make big cash just by selling and rebuying NEO.
"Why don't you do it then?"
Because I'm a pussy

Also, if you look at ARK's consolidation past the peak at 29th of august, there is a recurring pattern. I think it will settle between 47 and 48 for a couple of days before jumping up or down significantly.

golem

I imagine this thread is more about buying and selling Cryptocurrency, but is there any thread on Gaf about mining?

Post one in the gaming forum and tell them youre taking all their video cardz.. lol jk. I dont believe so, back when I mined I used to mainly check Reddit and Bitcointalk I believe

syllogism

Blocksafe Foundation (TRIG) guy casually posted on Tuesday in the TRIG token thread on bitcointalk.org that they would be burning 70 million of the total of 100 million tokens later this year. The current unlocked circulation is 30 million. The post seemingly had no effect on the price and no one even replied to the post. Today he tweeted the same thing and the price jumped 50% and clearly should still have room to go up just based on math. There's a lesson here.

DonMigs85

Blocksafe Foundation (TRIG) guy casually posted on Tuesday in the TRIG token thread on bitcointalk.org that they would be burning 70 million of the total of 100 million tokens later this year. The current unlocked circulation is 30 million. The post seemingly had no effect on the price and no one even replied to the post. Today he tweeted the same thing and the price jumped 50% and clearly should still have room to go up just based on math. There's a lesson here.

Let us know if you ever see similar warning signs for another coin again.

Top Bottom