• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cryptocurrency |OT| Nothing from Money

DKF590

So much red..... luckily I cashed out my BNB when we hit a decent price right before the SSN ICO a few days ago. Gunna pick up some stuff on the dip but not sure what yet. Always risky to try to catch a falling knife but I'm pretty sure quite a lot of these will recover really nicely.

pieface

Yeah I think it's going to be testing times. It simply depends on what BTC decides to do.

If BTC can hang on at around 4400/4300 for a few days I think money will start coming back. If it goes below 4000 then everyone is going to panic sell

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Think the whole market will dip for a bit to be honest. Don't think we see much green maybe for a few days. Just hold tight.

I wouldn't mind this situation until next Thursday, when I return from spa. I am still undecided if I will took my laptop with me, because Bittrex on mobile is not so great...

Tk0n

Going on vacation for 3 weeks in 5 days. It's gonna be hard to not keep an eye on this stuff.

I was on vacation in july. When i had Internet access for the first time and could look at my coins, my portfolio was cut in half... :D

I have the feeling that this dip isnt going to be as bad and btc will be back at the next ath next week. Still think that we have a big correction comming soon and this might be a prelude showing that the market gets nervous.

pieface

This crypto game is bonkers really. Was only just a few days ago that Bitcoin's ATH was 4500.

Now it's hovering just under it, yet the whole market is in a bit of a panic.

It's so .... ridiculous really?

Brohan

I was on vacation in july. When i had Internet access for the first time and could look at my coins, my portfolio was cut in half... :D

I have the feeling that this dip isnt going to be as bad and btc will be back at the next ath next week. Still think that we have a big correction comming soon and this might be a prelude showing that the market gets nervous.

Stop scaring me ; ;

This crypto game is bonkers really. Was only just a few days ago that Bitcoin's ATH was 4500.

Now it's hovering just under it, yet the whole market is in a bit of a panic.

It's so .... ridiculous really?

Yeah, I can't understand why all alts drop as soon as Bitcoin does. I get that alts have to be traded through Bitcoin, but that doesn't really explain it to me.

Tk0n

I feel confident about my ARK but really wondering if i should hold on to my IOTA... it looks like it wont stop dipping anytime soon.

I cant give you guidance there. If i would have iota, it would also drop all the time and reach an ath a few days after i sell 😉 They might continue the downward path or rise to new hights. My feeling is that iota at this price is more a buying then a selling opportunity. But im not any good as a crypto trader.

there is no save haven in a heavy correction anyway other than fiat. the problem with big dips is, that you only realise that its a big dip, when its already down alot and often you cant clearly see the recovery before its already up a lot. So with bad timing you can easily lose more then if you just hold. Ark is no save haven either. They might not react to btcs moodswings as much as others, and they might look hot right now, but from june to mid august, they where droping constantly in relation to btc.

The crazy thing is, the most stable coin i had in the last 24h are those Waltons i bought yesterday. They jumped between 0,00036k and 0,00024 within minutes but are calm as fuck today. I dont have any doubt that they will drop 50 % any minute now.

Cipherr

Ark holding while Bitcoin dips would be about as strong an indicator to me that the coin is solid as anything IMO. It would prove that its placed perfectly strategically. Juuuust enough isolation to not be drug down by the others, but doesn't seem immune to rising with BTC (like it did the last few weeks). That's an insane benefit. Im watching it closely today to see if it can avoid the dip overall.

Yeah, I can't understand why all alts drop as soon as Bitcoin does. I get that alts have to be traded through Bitcoin, but that doesn't really explain it to me.

I think its because so much of it has to be traded through bitcoin and because Bitcoin is still seen as the "main" coin. When we see more coins challenge its market cap, and theres more independence in trading (meaning you are finally able to convert fiat into alt coins more directly and easily via trusted exchanges) we will see a splintering of BTC's price from the altcoins.

It would certainly be good for the market IMO. Damn. Ridiculous how much weight BTC has on the whole thing. It doesn't help that you can't buy the US dollar Tether coin on Bittrex at least either so that you can tether your dollar value and wait out these dips if you wanted too. I certainly tried to last night when I saw everything nosediving and couldn't lol.

Tk0n

When btc drops hard, the alts are losing net worth because they are traded in btc. Sending them in a downward trend.

When btc pumps, people change back to btc sending the alts in a downward trend.

vehn

Allllright I'm selling everything, will try to buy in on the "bottom". I've made about 50% return of my initial money I put in late May ... and I don't want to see that be a 50% loss like it was in june/july.

Something completely crazy happened to me today.

I transferred some coins from my desktop wallet to bittrex. Pending deposit starts, everything good. A few minutes later I check my balance and I have 3x the amount I deposited.

I knew that couldn't be right and tried to sell to see if I really had those funds available. Well, this time I had zero balance and my funds had disappeared. I start to freak out. Have I logged into a fake bittrex site? Have I been hacked? Has my money disappeared? It was around 2k. I'm refreshing the site non-stop. I contacted support. I go to reddit, slack. Everyone says I was probably hacked and lost everything. I'm banging my head against the wall...

Completely defeated, I log into bittrex one more time. Everything is there. I have no idea what the hell happened but that almost gave me a heart attack.

The Rizza

Something completely crazy happened to me today.

I transferred some coins from my desktop wallet to bittrex. Pending deposit starts, everything good. A few minutes later I check my balance and I have 3x the amount I deposited.

I knew that couldn't be right and tried to sell to see if I really had those funds available. Well, this time I had zero balance and my funds had disappeared. I start to freak out. Have I logged into a fake bittrex site? Have I been hacked? Has my money disappeared? It was around 2k. I'm refreshing the site non-stop. I contacted support. I go to reddit, slack. Everyone says I was probably hacked and lost everything. I'm banging my head against the wall...

Completely defeated, I log into bittrex one more time. Everything is there. I have no idea what the hell happened but that almost gave me a heart attack.

W T F. I'm with ya, that would scare me close to death. That kind of situation is absolutely frightening (and definitely possible in this crazy world of crypto). Glad to hear it all worked out though

Crispy

How do you guys feel about providing exchanges with your personal documents? Up to now I have avoided it on Bittrex and Kraken, but if I want to be verified on Binance I have to send in a picture of my passport and I'm not sure I want to go through with this.

Donos

That's some nice red wedding Screenshot i took of blockfolio.

With the influx of new people putting money into crypto, there is probably a lot of panic selling going on :).

HOLD

DKF590

WTC on binance going up at insane rates. Watched it jump up 50% in about 2 hours and a few 50BTC sell walls get crushed. Curious where we end up tonight/tomorrow.

How do you guys feel about providing exchanges with your personal documents? Up to now I have avoided it on Bittrex and Kraken, but if I want to be verified on Binance I have to send in a picture of my passport and I'm not sure I want to go through with this.
You can black out a lot of the really personal info. I have always been able to do that and it has been accepted. Stuff like your photo, document number (drivers license number for example) and some other shit can all be blacked out. Signature as well. All they should need is the name and address. Everything else block it out. If that helps you sleep a bit better.

Passport they can fuck off I wouldn't send them that without photoshoping it to shit.

Drifters

I just set my info up with GDAX (owned by CoinBase) so I can get 0% purchases on limit buys with bank account. I'm not paying CoinBase with their PayPal easy to use interface as I dump money into the CryptoCoin world. Either way, it is a bit interesting since "security" is one of the BitCoin trademarks of being a secure, anonymous payment system with checks and balances.

Drifters

PSA for those looking to move GDAX/CoinBase $LTC to $BTC, just used https://shapeshift.io/ and it worked like a champ.

Sequence of steps:
Moved CoinBase $LTC to Bittrex
Went to ShapeShift.io chose to convert $LTC to $BTC
Put in your Bittrex $LTC wallet address you're sending from
Put in your Bittrex $BTC wallet address to accept converted coin
Wait about 3-6 minutes
You now have $BTC on Bittrex for Alt coins with very few fees.

Sony

Nintendo
Long term NAV at $1.75 is still a great deal. It could slow again by tomorrow though and settle somewhere near $1.50

i was actually gonna buy NAV at 25.. but went outside and was like screw it's gonne be around that tomorrow as well.. woke up to see it at 38 I'll definitely get some when it's sub 30.

Tk0n

WTC on binance going up at insane rates. Watched it jump up 50% in about 2 hours and a few 50BTC sell walls get crushed. Curious where we end up tonight/tomorrow.

Yeah, there is a lot of hype on reddit and Twitter surrounding it. This might go places as the next big asian coin. Especially if its added to other exchanges. At least i got my bnb losses back and then some. I only got a little amount as i dont want to divert any funds from other coins and cant invest any more right now. I wanted to be cautious. I will still have a nice amount when its at 50$ ;) It surely is a high risk / high potential coin.

tanuki

Every time i sell a coin, it inevitably ends up having a rally the next day (or even hour) after I sell, so I might as well ride it out for now.

I bought a bit of WTC at the start of the week and now wishing I bought more, but I'm trying to ignore the FOMO knowing it's gonna probably sink instantly by 50% after I buy it.

I gotta stop looking at crypto prices everyday, I think it's bad for your health. The price swings are crazy.

Sony

Nintendo
Where do you guys catch wind of developments like WTC? Twitter? It's my dream to one day ride a wave like that

I am surprised how big this thread has gotten in such a short time considering a lot of the old Bitcoin threads were always not so busy. This latest run the past few months has brought in a lot of new blood which is awesome but please be careful every one and do your research. I only say this because this thread is full of talk of alt-coins no one has ever heard of like WTC, OMG, ARK, WTF (I made this up but most likely does exist) etc. You CAN make money off these alts but anyone who has been following crypto for a bit of time will tell you these are mostly pump and dump coins. Get in and get out or stay away all together with any serious money please. You will get burnt. It has been done and seen time and time again.

Tk0n

Where do you guys catch wind of developments like WTC? Twitter? It's my dream to one day ride a wave like that

First time, i heard about it, was in the ARK slack :D but it was already almost at 0,0003 then and dipped to 0,00024 shortly after i bought.

When i posted here, it was still around 0,0003. But you never know where the pemdulum swings.

Sony

Nintendo
I really don't know what to do with my BNB, I have a 250 euro loss at this point... I'm hoping it will get to 2 euro again , then I'll sell all that crap.

I am surprised how big this thread has gotten in such a short time considering a lot of the old Bitcoin threads were always not so busy. This latest run the past few months has brought in a lot of new blood which is awesome but please be careful every one and do your research. I only say this because this thread is full of talk of alt-coins no one has ever heard of like WTC, OMG, ARK, WTF (I made this up but most likely does exist) etc. You CAN make money off these alts but anyone who has been following crypto for a bit of time will tell you these are mostly pump and dump coins. Get in and get out or stay away all together with any serious money please. You will get burnt. It has been done and seen time and time again.

It's like I'm being personally addressed :(

DKF590

WTC just broke $3. +130% in the past 24 hours.

Feels eerily similar to riding the NEO wave up. Doesn't feel like the momentum is slowing down at all, but I can't shake the feeling that it could turn at any moment. Feels like the coin is riding the hype a bit too much as not all that much info is really out there.

I really don't know what to do with my BNB, I have a 250 euro loss at this point... I'm hoping it will get to 2 euro again , then I'll sell all that crap.

It's like I'm being personally addressed :(

Cashed out of BNB myself. Tried to sell a small amount but was instantly undercut by a bot every single time over the course of an hour. Ate a small loss but I'm honestly glad to be done with the coin.

syllogism

WTC hype seems to be driven mostly by western message boards, dubious screenshots and tenuous connections to Chinese government. Has there at any stage been significant hype in China for this coin and if not, why? They may have interesting technology, but it's certainly not driven by that and that should be a warning sign.

DKF590

WTC hype seems to be driven mostly by western message boards, dubious screenshots and tenuous connections to Chinese government. Has there at any stage been significant hype in China for this coin and if not, why? They may have interesting technology, but it's certainly not driven by that and that should be a warning sign.

LRC on binance is also spiking almost as much. I think there is a sense of "unknown" with these Chinese coins that makes them especially appealing for people to buy into. Huge profit to be made but also huge risk. I'd recommend no one jump in too heavily.

Sony

Nintendo
Holy F. My BNB loss at 350 euro right now. This BNB nosedive is rediculous. I'll hold as I think i'll break even some day.. but damn does it hurt. In hindsight, the BNB investment was a really bad choice. I made the mistake of thinking BNB would go up due to exchange fees by BNB being introduced..

Tk0n

People want the next NEO/OMG. I also think this could drop back to 50 cents any time. But im not heavily invested. If it does good, im good. If it doestn, i wont lose much.

Top Bottom