• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

It's funny for sure but it can't be the real OT since there's like no real info to be found.

Also, has it been absolutely confirmed that this is linear and not freeform? Because I haven't seen the confirmation.

aeolist

Banned
plagiarize said:
how does it not have freeform gameplay?

trailers would all indicate otherwise.
The question now is whether there are open sections like Crysis 1 had open sections or whether there are 2 or 3 clearly marked corridors you can choose from to get past each enemy encounter.

As far as I know the reviews haven't really addressed this.

Neuromancer said:
OT is so clever and edgy! I bet Crytek will really feel bad now.

I wonder what the reaction would be if someone made a clown OP for a game people actually care about.

Before anyone claims there's no info, the first full text review available online is here:

Translated version of Game Reactor Sweden's lengthly Crysis 2 review.

Lengthly campaign and multiplayer impressions from someone who played (and enjoyed) the first Crysis. There's also about 2 dozen 1080p screens from the campaign if you want to make the OP worth a damn..

I really, really hope this is better than the demo on 360. I really want to like this game, and want to hear that this is an instance where the full retail version is significantly better than the demo. Dont have much hope though, but we'll see!

Chinner

Banned
but but but OT's have to bling up the game so that GAF can act as an extended marketing arm for publishers!!!! no valid criticism allowed!!!!

TheApatheticOne said:
I really, really hope this is better than the demo on 360. I really want to like this game, and want to hear that this is an instance where the full retail version is significantly better than the demo. Dont have much hope though, but we'll see!
Expecting the game to be any different from what you have seen in the demo or trailers is just setting your self for disappointment.

Interfectum

Chinner said:
but but but OT's have to bling up the game so that GAF can act as an extended marketing arm for publishers!!!! no valid criticism allowed!!!!

Haha yeah.

It's funny how some here at GAF are so up in arms over this OP when most read like they came straight from the publisher's marketing department.

Give me this any day.

Cheeto

Chinner said:
Duck, I usually hate everything about your posts, but I have to like this one...

Chinner said:

What valid criticism was made? I see jokes but also almost no one here has actually played the game for valid critique yet.

OT's have also never been criticism free.

mxgt said:
Crysis 2 deserves this kind of OT.
maybe. I think OTs should just be something like:

Crysis 2 - March 22 - Discuss.

People who care know what the game is and if they don't there are endless places to get screenshots and basic info. The discussion is what's interesting here, not the regurgitation of bullet points.

Dyno

I'm enjoying the multi and the first attempt to get some vertical integration in an FPS. It's a small step but it clears new ground for an FPS with full vertical integration and some truly 3D environments. I look forward to the day when FPS isn't tethered to the ground and we can have characters capable of achieving big air, wall scaling, and bird's-eye view angles.

Halo: Reach did nicely with their jet packs. Here's hoping Crysis 2 follows suit.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
One thing I like about Gaf is their OTs and how well done they are for big titles, this is the opposite. I know you PC guys are mad(or something) but let us peasants enjoy this nice looking game with a preferable OT.

Enosh

Chinner said:
point out the valid criticism in the OP

Shitty OP, and parts of it may even be factually incorrect. How do we know there is no free form gameplay? that's not what the gamereactor review said yesterday. And dx11 is tentative..for all we know, it could be a day 0 patch.

2San

MariusElijah said:
One thing I like about Gaf is their OTs and how well done they are for big titles, this is the opposite. I know you PC guys are mad(or something) but let us peasants enjoy this nice looking game with a preferable OT.
Why do people assume the game will be good by console standards as well? The demo was gash on 360 and PS3.

I don't understand why people are so upset about the OP. Does anyone read the first post other than when it's first created? By the time the game is out proper discussion will start and most people will jump to one of the last few pages.

I know that if I don't read an OP until it's 10 or so pages long I just read the last page or two and join in with the current discussions.

Foliorum Viridum said:
I don't understand why people are so upset about the OP. Does anyone read the first post other than when it's first created? By the time the game is out proper discussion will start and most people will jump to one of the last few pages.

I know that if I don't read an OP until it's 10 or so pages long I just read the last page or two and join in with the current discussions.

I can not have fun with a game if the OP is not filled to the brim with sweet marketing candy.

Malvolio

When a game goes from the pinnacle of what PC gaming can accomplish to a cash grab for the lowest common denominator and the whole time the devs sing sweet songs of love to their former customers, I think it's fair to take a giant dump on their heads in the OT. FFS they couldn't even pull off their promises to their new console customers.

Bravo OP. A job well done.

1-D_FTW

What's with the embargoed reviews? Do they really drive that much traffic to websites? Who buys off those?

Websites should grow a pair and refuse to review (ever) any game that needs an embargo signed. Maybe it would hurt slightly, but something tells me the publishers would quickly panic and abandon this non-sense if they knew it would get their game blacklisted from a site.

I NEED SCISSORS said:
Did you miss the entire gif at the top?
on what does he base the claim there is no free form gameplay? because "no free form gameplay" was not the import of the gamereactor review I read yesterday.

GitarooMan said:
maybe. I think OTs should just be something like:

Crysis 2 - March 22 - Discuss.

People who care know what the game is and if they don't there are endless places to get screenshots and basic info. The discussion is what's interesting here, not the regurgitation of bullet points.
Several OT's have prompted me to notice, and then buy, games that otherwise I might not have been interested in (Darksiders, for example.) So I think informative OT's are great. Nothing wrong with people being enthusiastic about upcoming games and wanting to share that enthusiasm with others.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
1-D_FTW said:
What's with the embargoed reviews? Do they really drive that much traffic to websites? Who buys off those?

Websites should grow a pair and refuse to review (ever) any game that needs an embargo signed. Maybe it would hurt slightly, but something tells me the publishers would quickly panic and abandon this non-sense if they knew it would get their game blacklisted from a site.

There's no way to have complete solidarity with that, and every publication that accepted the opportunity for exclusivity would benefit greatly over all the publications that didn't.

Credibility is a complete non-issue to the enthusiast press, since no one has it.

theignoramus said:
on what does he base the claim there is no free form gameplay? because "no free form gameplay" was not the import of the gamereactor review I read yesterday.

He refers to the linearity of the levels and the arrows pointing out how to play the game like Crytek want you to play it.

1-D_FTW said:

I don't have a problem with embargoes for the sake of fairness (everyone getting their review out at the same time), but I do have a problem when that embargo is lifted the day of release. That's just manipulative and anti-consumer. Even worse is when reviews with higher scores aren't subject to the same embargo as reviews with lower scores, and are allowed to be released earlier.

I NEED SCISSORS said:
He refers to the linearity of the levels and the arrows pointing out how to play the game like Crytek want you to play it.
I assume you can disable those arrows and we dont what's linear and what isnt. I mean the last third of Crysis is linear, does that mean the whole game deserves to be designated as such?

Aklamarth

I'm very curios to see if this will be better than Bulletstorm (SP only, don't care about MP). After seeing the previews i doubt it but we'll see...

I NEED SCISSORS said:
He refers to the linearity of the levels...
which are addressed in a seperate note about open level design, which no one has questioned
and the arrows pointing out how to play the game like Crytek want you to play it.
arrows *suggesting* how to play the game do not bother me in the slightest so long i don't get a game over for not following said arrows. just the same as super guide in Nintendo games.

seeds19

Banned
DX11 patch released, nobody was able to play it at very high 1080p with a high end pc = crytek gods of pc master race.

The game in dx9 looks stunning, wait and see after the dx11 patch.
Of course the console versions looks decent for me, crytek has made a goob job, picking up the ps3 and PC version of the game.

Top Bottom