• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
I guess I don't get the whole comfy counch thing. In my experience most PC users don't play PC games on their couch.

Enosh

I NEED SCISSORS said:
He refers to the linearity of the levels and the arrows pointing out how to play the game like Crytek want you to play it.
-.-

you do realise crysis 1 had motherfucking arrows right?

jetjevons said:
I guess I don't get the whole comfy counch thing. In my experience most PC users don't play PC games on their couch.
It's an argument lots of ignorant people used to (or still do?) use to argue why PC gaming wasn't "relaxing" as console gaming. Of course, in reality it's easy to get a HDMI cable, plug it in to your TV, and sit back with a 360 pad or even a kb/m on your lap, but hey.

I play a lot of my PC games on my lovely 40" HDTV, for example.

Lunchbox

Banned
CozMick said:
Yay! let's use an OT to take the piss.

Keep the negative shit out of these threads, especially the OP
i support this OT movement

reads way better than the marketing shill type OTs that make you puke

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Better this kind of OP then the kind that looks like the poster is trying to apply for a marketing position with a game company.

I NEED SCISSORS said:
Let us bitter PC gamers have a moment to reflect on what we have lost..

:::incoming Crysis fanboy rage:::

And what have we lost?

Crysis 2 has better graphics than Crysis 1, no question about it. Just look how incredible the globally illuminated lighting looks in comparison. Also the textures (pretty bad in Crysis), the huge improvement in foliage compared to Crysis, the game looks better and is more technically impressive, period, even in DX9. Imagine it in DX11 which (hopefully) we won't have to wait TOO long for.

And we've only played a multi-player demo, not even the single-player.

Oh and guess what? The multi-player is ten times better than Crysis Wars. It's an actual multi-player suite with tons of content, options and progression. Crysis Wars was awful. Almost nobody played it. So that crossed out "innovative multi-player" line implying Crysis Wars was this underrated gem is simply not fair.

It just irks me how the game is getting torn apart. Did we get sort of shafted by the focus on consoles? Yes, but it's not nearly as bad as people make it out to be.

DX11 will arrive eventually and it will be glorious. The graphics are a big improvement. A couple of the suit powers being gimped (mainly just Speed) is not going to ruin the game. Also, Crysis was linear for 50% of the campaign, but that's always ignored. And we haven't even played the campaign in Crysis 2 yet so maybe there is a bit more free form gameplay than expected? How about giving the game a chance instead of damning for eternity over a multi-player demo?

:::end rage:::

EDIT! This post isn't specifically directed at you, I NEED SCISSORS. Just a rant in general...

Enosh said:
-.-

you do realise crysis 1 had motherfucking arrows right?

Did those arrows also say "go left for the stealth route, go right for the guns blazing route", and then lead you down a fixed path with no other deviation or exploration to speak of? Crysis may have told you where the goal was, but how you got there and what you did on the way was entirely up to you.

Dennis

Banned
fizzelopeguss said:
I love how pc gaf OT's take the piss, while the console ones look like elaborate PR pieces.
This is how I feel.

The only real piss-take |OT| threads I can remember are the two Dragon Age threads by Evilore and now this one from MickeyKnox. Its not like a torrent of satirical OTs or anything.

epmode

Lunchbox said:
i support this OT movement

reads way better than the marketing shill type OTs that make you puke
Pretty much this. I really hope you 15,000-word OP guys are getting paid.

biglebowski_lead.jpg

aeolist

Banned
Ricker said:
Speaking of comfy couch,I have the opposite question,will the 360 controller work with the PC version...
From what people were saying in the MP demo thread the game feels better on the controller than it does with a mouse

Dennis

Banned
Heavy said:
Crysis 2 has better graphics than Crysis 1, no question about it.
I will withold final judgement until I actually play Crysis 2 single player but as of right now I have to strongly disagree.

MP Crysis 2 PC looks dreadful.

For Christs sake, fucking Ass Creed Bro PC looks better!

I NEED SCISSORS said:
Did those arrows also say "go left for the stealth route, go right for the guns blazing route", and then lead you down a fixed path with no other deviation or exploration to speak of? Crysis may have told you where the goal was, but how you got there and what you did on the way was entirely up to you.
so the game forces me to go guns blazing down the suggested guns blazing route and forces me to go stealth down the suggested stealth route?

no. it doesn't. it's just suggesting things. what you do is still entirely up to you.

do you really think they didn't design certain parts of the original Crysis with certain tactics in mind? they did, and i can point out specific examples. they just didn't point them out in an optional view.

DennisK4 said:
I will withold final judgement until I actually play Crysis 2 single player but as of right now I have to strongly disagree.

Yup, something about the colours are off, and despite the engine being technically better, it's not striking like Crysis was. I went back and played some custom maps last week and Jesus that game still blows me away, Crysis 2 merely looks good.

I don't think the improvement in SP will be enough. It's not like the game is going to magically look 10x better.

nyong

Banned
I honestly don't care about DX11. The graphics/performance are top notch from what I saw of the MP demo. The review embargo has me slightly concerned, though...after getting burned on Homefront I have no intention of picking it (or any game) up until I see the whole picture.

Enosh

I NEED SCISSORS said:
please link me the video of this, I would like to see your example in action

DennisK4 said:

I will agree with you on the color scheme and some of the art design, but technically, which is what I was talking about when I said "graphics", Crysis 2 is superior and it's not close.

I understand what you're saying... the gorgeous, colorful, bright beaches and jungles in Crysis looked awesome. And then we fire up the sequel and get urine-stained colors and shit. Totally agree. Game still has better graphics, though. And remember, we've only played a multi-player demo.

anonymousAversa said:
Open world versus narrow environments
Crysis is not open world.

domstah

Do we know we know what evil "first buyer incentive" EA has forced upon this? No MP without an online pass? Extra Maps? A pillow fluffing service for your couch?

Heavy said:
I will agree with you on the color scheme and some of the art design, but technically, which is what I was talking about when I said "graphics", Crysis 2 is superior and it's not close.

I understand what you're saying... the gorgeous, colorful, bright beaches and jungles in Crysis looked awesome. And then we fire up the sequel and get urine-stained colors and shit. Totally agree. Game still has better graphics, though. And remember, we've only played a multi-player demo.
What use is "better graphics" if the game looks worse though?

Zen

Banned
Crysis 1 had wide environments, they weren't open world. You were typically dropped off in a location and you had to go in one direction to get from point A to point B. In comparison to 'open world' you just had some pretty big hallways.

Sinatar said:
Better this kind of OP then the kind that looks like the poster is trying to apply for a marketing position with a game company.
This. Based on the Crysis 2 demo and all other media/previews related to the game, Crysis 2 is a shit mountain of a game compared to the original. Consolitis at its best. This game doesn't deserve the OT that marketing GAF is capable of.

Foliorum Viridum said:
What use is "better graphics" if the game looks worse though?
Why not wait till we get a chance to play the campaign before making these types of conclusions, instead of a couple of crappy multi-player maps? The art style and colors could be much improved.

EviLore said:
There's no way to have complete solidarity with that, and every publication that accepted the opportunity for exclusivity would benefit greatly over all the publications that didn't.

Credibility is a complete non-issue to the enthusiast press, since no one has it.

Just from reading your posts over the last few months you seem to be increasingly frustrated with gaming journalism and game reviews as a whole. You own one of the busiest and most popular gaming message boards around so you are one of the few people who could do something about it.

Of course if you wanted to provide a place for honest and unbiased reviews you would never be able to provide those reviews before a game came out due to embargos. But for me and a good many people an honest review is worth the wait. As it stands now I dont pay attention to any journalist reviews and count only on demos or the impressions of fellow gamers to help me decide if a game is worth full price.

Heavy said:
Why not wait till we get a chance to play the campaign before making these types of conclusions, instead of a couple of crappy multi-player maps? The art style and colors could be much improved.

So I need to buy the game before I can decide if it is good enough to buy?

CozMick

Banned
domstah said:
Do we know we know what evil "first buyer incentive" EA has forced upon this? No MP without an online pass? Extra Maps? A pillow fluffing service for your couch?

In the UK the first batch of Crysis are "Limited Edition" only including a modified nanosuit.

Heavy said:
I'm not optimistic. Everything in the trailers looks like the type of environments we got in MP.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I played PS3 demo. Looks very blurry, framerate is all over the place. Couldn't hit shit with controller, while I always had positive KDR with fixed mouse on PC. Guess console shooters aren't for me anymore, particularly multiplayer ones.

Heavy said:
Crysis is not open world.
Yeah, people don't get that fact. It is not open world. There are wide open areas, but it definately is not open world. It's more linear than people think, and I'm not talking about the last third of the game. I remember trying to climb over those mountains. That did happen, LOL

spicy cho

EviLore said:
There's no way to have complete solidarity with that, and every publication that accepted the opportunity for exclusivity would benefit greatly over all the publications that didn't.

Credibility is a complete non-issue to the enthusiast press, since no one has it.
Nailed it.

Darkshier said:
This. Based on the Crysis 2 demo and all other media/previews related to the game, Crysis 2 is a shit mountain of a game compared to the original. Consolitis at its best. This game doesn't deserve the OT that marketing GAF is capable of.
you seem emotional. perhaps this is clouding your judgement somewhat.

i haven't seen anything suggesting Crysis 2 is Dragon Age 2 bad.

there's a long distance between 'not as good as the first' and Dragon Age 2 bad. i have my concerns. i think they've made some misteps, but that doesn't magically make it garbage.

the MP in the original wasn't exactly good. it ran a lot worse than the single player for one as i recall, and it wasn't remotely interesting. i don't see how anyone thinks they can judge the full version based on that demo.

feel free to judge the MP based on that demo if you want though.

i'm expecting another Fear 2 situation where the sequel wasn't as good as the original, but was still definately worth my time.

scitek said:
Vanilla Crysis 2 looks better than vanilla Crysis. Custom maps and the like don't count.
I don't agree. The only real weak aspect to Crysis' visuals is the foliage, but even that doesn't look too bad in motion. The sunlight/moonlight shining through the trees, the water lapping against the sand... Crysis is absolutely beautiful.

In a way the fact it's a natural setting is always going to give it an edge, to be fair, but that still doesn't mean that this seems like a step backwards visually.

Dennis

Banned
scitek said:
Vanilla Crysis 2 looks better than vanilla Crysis. Custom maps and the like don't count.
No

Caveat: I obviously haven't played the game because its not out. But judging from MP plus trailers....no.

I haven't been able to take a single good screenshot of Crysis 2 MP.

VASPER

Banned
Soo fucking down day 1 baby. loved the demo on PC and my PC seems to handle it well. I'm very disappointed in Home front.

Sho_Nuff82 said:
This is a fabrication. Mouse control is still loads better.

At default, the PC controls felt awful. I was only able to aim accurately after I used a config program to disable mouse acceleration.

Cornbread78

OK, so I'll ask here... From all the negative reviews and impressions I've gotten on this game for PS3 so far, so I be canceling my pre-order and putting my money elsewhere? Seriously.... anything else, other than WKC2 or Socom, that is coming in the next couple months worthy of my $60 bucks over this......

Top Bottom