• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

The M.O.B

Dreams-Visions said:
anyone know how to disable the built-in FPS display that appears in the upper-right corner of the screen?

I haven't been able to figure out how it got there on my laptop or how to remove it. if anyone has any ideas, I'd really appreciate the help.

Do you have FRAPS on? Then press F12.

Otherwise hit the ~ key and type "r_displayinfo=0"

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
sp3000 said:
This is one of the most amazing, awesome, atmospheric levels in any game. EVER. I was stunned when the gravity dropped. This part of the game doesn't get enough love.

I really wanted to go inside one of the alien ships in Crysis 2, but instead we had to fight in generic, linear NYC the whole time. The only level that stood out was the final one really, but even that paled in comparison to this one.

this level was not interesting. Confusing as fuck.

The M.O.B said:
Do you have FRAPS on? Then press F12.

Otherwise hit the ~ key and type "r_displayinfo=0"
no, fraps is not on.

and that input into the console doesn't remove it.

bizarre, huh?\

edit: found it. it was ATI Tray tools. :-/

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
I am one of the people who loved Crysis 1 and loved so far what I've played of Crysis 2.

Too many people judge a game before they even play it. I can also see some people missing the open world aspect but the first one was fairly linear too. It was hardly a GTA, but I can to some extent see their point.

Crytek has in my book developed two fantastic games (I don't count Warhead as that was done by an external developer).

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Thunderbear said:
I am one of the people who loved Crysis 1 and loved so far what I've played of Crysis 2.

Too many people judge a game before they even play it. I can also see some people missing the open world aspect but the first one was fairly linear too. It was hardly a GTA, but I can to some extent see their point.

Crytek has in my book developed two fantastic games (I don't count Warhead as that was done by an external developer).

it was done by Crytek.

dLMN8R

Thunderbear said:

I agreed with your opinion when I first got into Crysis 2. The problem is that Crysis 2's issues become far more apparent the further you get into the game. The lack of dynamic environments first, the terrible AI issues second, the extra linearity later, then the abysmal story kicks the absurdity and drivel into high-gear.

I didn't judge Crysis 2 before I played it. In fact, my posts on NeoGAF tended to be overly optimistic even after the game was released.

And yeah, Warhead was definitely developed by Crytek. A different team, but Crytek nonetheless. And it's definitely superior to Crysis 2.

RedSwirl

The earthquake has probably ruined all chance of this happening, but if it weren't for that, I honestly think Tokyo would've made a great setting for Crysis 3.

The game already takes place near the time period associated with Blade Runner, Akira, and Ghost in the Shell. Crysis's Predator/Robocop aesthetic would also mesh really well with a GitS kind of theme.

RedSwirl said:
The earthquake has probably ruined all chance of this happening, but if it weren't for that, I honestly think Tokyo would've made a great setting for Crysis 3.

The game already takes place near the time period associated with Blade Runner, Akira, and Ghost in the Shell. Crysis's Predator/Robocop aesthetic would also mesh really well with a GitS kind of theme.

They didn't mind toppling over new york buildings and flying alien planes into them.
Why'd they avoid featuring japan?
A flood might be in bad taste, but Japan is pretty boss at earthquake protection.

Alxjn

Thunderbear said:

I love both games as well, but Crysis 2's missteps really bring it down for me. There's a lot that I like, but there is also a lot that I don't like. I'm hoping with the release of the editor I'll be able to at least balance the N2 to my liking, and hopefully enable sprinting in all directions as well as when reloading.

Also, is it just me or are the aliens still kind of boring to fight? You still can't really mess around with them like you could with the KPA in C1. I guess that applies to the CELL dudes as well though.

Khal_B

Has anyone tried the MP with the new updates and having a hard time seeing in the night maps? Like in Liberty Island and Evac, my eyes actually start to hurt.

dustin

Neo Member
I was looking for badass posters/art to put up in my new place when I came across this mother on deviantart
2r251mr.jpg

BlackDove

Banned
sp3000 said:

This is one of the most amazing, awesome, atmospheric levels in any game. EVER. I was stunned when the gravity dropped. This part of the game doesn't get enough love.

I really wanted to go inside one of the alien ships in Crysis 2, but instead we had to fight in generic, linear NYC the whole time. The only level that stood out was the final one really, but even that paled in comparison to this one.

The major standouts in Crysis 1 are that level, the tank level, and the VTOL level.

The fully modeled aircraft carrier is also amazing, but for different reasons.

Really though, the size of the levels in Crysis is still jaw dropping today.

How come no matter what I set the edgeAA and postMSAA to in the system.cfg file, edge AA and postMSAA is still set to 1 in-game? I open the console and run the commands and they are both at the value of 1...

Running in DX11 mode, does that have something to do with it?

teraMEL0S said:
Hey guys, I was just checking out The Korean Game Ratings Board website and saw that they have rated the original Crysis for Xbox 360. Check it out and tell me I'm not crazy...

Also, I had to see if they'd already rated Crysis 2. Searched it and it was rated back in November on their website. Crysis 2 Listing

hmmm

Crysis 1 straight port as like a 20 or even 40 dollar XBLA download would be awesome, if nothing less to compare the graphics to PC for kicks. Hope it's real but doubt it.

MaddenNFL64

Love this game. Someone should make a gif of Lockhart getting his ass tossed from 2 stories up, through bullet proof glass. Great moment ;D.

ctrayne

Just finished this on my semi-humble system running the DX11 patch. GTX 560 Ti, overclocked Core 2 Duo and 4GB RAM got with most things on Ultra + Vsync = 30-60 FPS. Very playable.

Anyway, I can understand complaints about it being more linear, but I would not write off the whole thing as just "linear". It's kind of Deus Ex Mini, in that you can approach wide open areas with many different options. I played a couple areas twice just because it was fun to try different sneaking approaches. Even did a few areas with no kills. Certainly a whole world apart from the standard corridor shooter people complain about.

But aside from the graphics and the general level of polish the game exudes, I have to mention the gorgeous soundtrack. Between all the bombastic Hollywood-style stuff (which isn't bad either) there are some beautiful and haunting melodies:

SOS New York *melt*

I really did not expect this level of sophistication. Bought the 2 disc soundtrack and am loving it.

EDIT: One more. Lovely.

dustin said:
I was looking for badass posters/art to put up in my new place when I came across this mother on deviantart
2r251mr.jpg

I don't think that shot has enough shit crammed into it. Really lacking a lens flare imo, and should have a sunset.

But aside from the graphics and the general level of polish the game exudes, I have to mention the gorgeous soundtrack. Between all the bombastic Hollywood-style stuff (which isn't bad either) there are some beautiful and haunting melodies:

The soundtrack is probably what I liked about C2 the most. The first track, "insertion" is really great.

ctrayne

ThoseDeafMutes said:
The soundtrack is probably what I liked about C2 the most. The first track, "insertion" is really great.

Yes, Zimmer did a great job with that one. There is some really brilliant stuff in there. I keep coming back to the soundtrack and can't believe how good it is, and well produced too - love those live string orchestras. Completely took me by surprise!

strata8

kIdMuScLe said:
can someone point me to a link with a dx11 graphics tweakguide? I hate this slightblurry/vasoline look! =/
The blurry look is caused by FXAA. You can disable it by using 'r_PostMSAAEdgeFilterNV = 0'.

Metal-Geo

subversus said:
it was done by Crytek.
Not Crytek Gmbh though. Warhead was developed by the eastern teams of Crytek. Just like how Crysis 2's multiplayer was done by Crytek UK. Crytek Gmbh is the office that made Far Cry, Crysis and Crysis 2 (SP).

StuBurns

Banned
Metal-Geo said:
Not Crytek Gmbh though. Warhead was developed by the eastern teams of Crytek. Just like how Crysis 2's multiplayer was done by Crytek UK. Crytek Gmbh is the office that made Far Cry, Crysis and Crysis 2 (SP).
Hungary in fact.

Metal-Geo said:

..and Ryse. I wonder what Crytek Budapest is doing after Warhead since it's been a while to hear anything from them.

And RealTime Immersive is their so secret (sic) studio developing non-games for the US army, etc: http://www.rt-immersive.com/

http://www.rt-immersive.com/press/PR_Dismounted Soldier_CryENGINE.pdf

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Booted up the multiplayer as it has been awhile. Glad to see Crash Site is the completely broken mess it always was.

The grenade launcher and air support gunship thing make that mode literally unplayable.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
The M.O.B said:
Would have been a lot better without the terrible looking flames.
thatsthejoke.jpg

ThoseDeafMutes said:
I don't think that shot has enough shit crammed into it. Really lacking a lens flare imo, and should have a sunset.
Agreed. Lens flare from the visor was a must.

EDIT:
yNYdC.jpg

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
EatChildren said:
Booted up the multiplayer as it has been awhile. Glad to see Crash Site is the completely broken mess it always was.

The grenade launcher and air support gunship thing make that mode literally unplayable.
I never liked Crash Site to begin with but that sounds hilarious. I might have to check it out.

Enosh

well I have a problem

every time I play crysis 2 my PC just shuts down after a while, something like 30-40 min of playing, it didn't do this before, started today

is my graphics card overheating? Like said never had the problem until now, but then again until now it wasn't as hot outside so my room temp was lower
i played it yesterday at night at around 1am and it all worked fine, but today it shut the PC down some 3 times...

only tried the SP, will try MP latter

I guess cleaning the inside of the PC might be a good idea too...

I've been addicted to this multiplayer (360) for a while and want to know whats keeping everyone from playing. I'm ranked 2000th in the world, which makes be believe that there are no more than 20 or 30 thousand active players as of right now. I'm thinking this is due to bad netcode but also a steep learning curve; I play a lot of new people that get destroyed due to bad nano suit usage.

Whatever the reason, I wish more people would suck it up and realize a lot of issues on the 360 have been resolved, and the multiplayer is absolutely brilliant once you get used to what it has to offer. I tried to go back to playing Reach for a few games, and it just felt so outdated in comparison as far as fluidity (primarily movement fluidity but also just general feeling of gameplay), map structure (thoughtfully placed verticality), and enhancements that enable a more unique play style.

I'm absolutely spoiled by grabbing ledges, the excellent power jump, and tactically using cloak and armor to take advantage of a situation.

I really wish Crytek wouldn't have dropped the ball upon release; I truly think this is game offers some of the best mp around.

JB1981

AllIsOneIsNone said:
I've been addicted to this multiplayer (360) for a while and want to know whats keeping everyone from playing. I'm ranked 2000th in the world, which makes be believe that there are no more than 20 or 30 thousand active players as of right now. I'm thinking this is due to bad netcode but also a steep learning curve; I play a lot of new people that get destroyed due to bad nano suit usage.

Whatever the reason, I wish more people would suck it up and realize a lot of issues on the 360 have been resolved, and the multiplayer is absolutely brilliant once you get used to what it has to offer. I tried to go back to playing Reach for a few games, and it just felt so outdated in comparison as far as fluidity (primarily movement fluidity but also just general feeling of gameplay), map structure (thoughtfully placed verticality), and enhancements that enable a more unique play style.

I'm absolutely spoiled by grabbing ledges, the excellent power jump, and tactically using cloak and armor to take advantage of a situation.

I really wish Crytek wouldn't have dropped the ball upon release; I truly think this is game offers some of the best mp around.

I'm thinking of giving the multiplayer a good go (today maybe). What issues have been resolved, netcode? I enjoyed the demo and the beta, but for some reason never got around to playing the multiplayer after finishing singleplayer. I agree with you about the fluidity of movement and the traversal aspects, it does make other FPS feel outdated by comparison in those respects.

JB1981 said:
I'm thinking of giving the multiplayer a good go (today maybe). What issues have been resolved, netcode? I enjoyed the demo and the beta, but for some reason never got around to playing the multiplayer after finishing singleplayer. I agree with you about the fluidity of movement and the traversal aspects, it does make other FPS feel outdated by comparison in those respects.

Netcode has been improved a bit. Some people claim it sucks, but I only drop out of 1 in maybe 30 games and my connection is laggy in maybe 1 out of 20. Joining up with friends is pretty bad sometimes though; itll put you on opposite teams, one person will drop out while the other person gets stuck in the game, stuff like that. Its still worth it though, just remember to use armor before you shoot/when you're getting shot at and cloak when you're in an active battlezone!

Is it just me or are some of the textures still crap in after the high res update and DX11....I am playing with both those enabled and some wall textures are really low resolution...is this some kind of bug?

Not impressed with the first level to be honest...I am playing warhead at the same time, and that still looks quite alot better to me. hopefully it improves.

Metal-Geo

nelsonroyale said:
Is it just me or are some of the textures still crap in after the high res update and DX11....I am playing with both those enabled and some wall textures are really low resolution...is this some kind of bug?

Not impressed with the first level to be honest...I am playing warhead at the same time, and that still looks quite alot better to me. hopefully it improves.
Is it just me or is this the latest trend to start a post with?

Anyway. To clarify, not all textures are updated with the DX11 patch. There's a good chance you'll occassionally run into a few unchanged textures. Also, the high-res textures are disabled in multiplayer.

I personally find it a bit hard to compare Crysis 2 with Crysis and Crysis Warhead. If anything, the shaders in Crysis 2 are goddamn beautiful and I can't stop looking at those incredible reflections on the cars and trucks.

Yopis

The sound it makes when the suit shuts down in mp after a death is the fucking worst. Still like the sp game a bunch. Along with others wish it was more like the first game.

Enosh

hah I am stupid

I just now noticed that the reload animations of some guns differ depending on which suit mode you are in

for instance with the scar, in normal he kinda knocks out the old mag and replaces it with a new one, in armor he pulls it out and more or less slams a new one in and in stealth he pulls the mag out, but with less force and inserts a new one in a rather more gentle fashion

DangerStepp

Linkzg said:
Right now if you enter code c287ddpcef in EA's Origin store, it brings Crysis 2 on PC down to $21

don't know how long it lasts
That's pretty tempting. I've been waiting for the price to come crashing down...

Top Bottom