• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

MaddenNFL64

Someone on the official forums found a temp fix for the X360 ugly ass grain/snow bullshit.

Seems you just change your resolution from the dashboard (like from 1080p to 720p, then back), and heres the kicker, when you start the game, you can't use the "resume game" option, have to start from a fresh replay.

I've tried this, and it works great; for about 2-4 missions. After that, gotta reapply. dashboard out, switch resolutions, then start at the mission where the grain kicked in.

edit: nevermind lol, this fix has been around for a while it seems, and you don't need to switch resolution, just dashboard & start a new mission. :p

MaddenNFL64 said:
Someone on the official forums found a temp fix for the X360 ugly ass grain/snow bullshit.

Seems you just change your resolution from the dashboard (like from 1080p to 720p, then back), and heres the kicker, when you start the game, you can't use the "resume game" option, have to start from a fresh replay.

I've tried this, and it works great; for about 2-4 missions. After that, gotta reapply. dashboard out, switch resolutions, then start at the mission where the grain kicked in.

edit: nevermind lol, this fix has been around for a while it seems, and you don't need to switch resolution, just dashboard & start a new mission. :p
Huh that's weird. I wonder why that happens at all.

Playing through this game again for what must be the 5th time. So much fun, and so satisfying. I'm experimenting with weapons I didn't ever much use before (like the little SMG.) I'll tell you though, I was spoiled by having all my upgrades. Going back without the stealth enhance or the nano recharge makes things quite a bit tougher.

Karram

Does anyone know if the team that worked on Crysis 1 are the same people who worked on Crysis 2 ? Because it seems like the game was developed by the B team. Some stuff is just so messed up that I feel like a bunch of amateurs developed the game.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Karram said:
Does anyone know if the team that worked on Crysis 1 are the same people who worked on Crysis 2 ? Because it seems like the game was developed by the B team. Some stuff is just so messed up that I feel like a bunch of amateurs developed the game.
It was by the same team that made Crysis 1. It had the same director as well.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Karram said:
Dude, what? Crysis 2 is insanely polished... Way more polished than the first.

As far as production quality goes, Crysis 2 is top tier. Not sure why you'd feel like amateurs developed it. It isn't nearly as good as the first, but it's extremely professional...

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Metroid-Squadron said:
This better not be true. 1.9 gave me a problem that makes the game crash every time I load a save from the menu or after a death. Looking at the mycrysis forums it's not an isolated case.

Crytek (and EA) have a terrible habit of cutting support just because they're "happy" with the current state of the game, whatever that means. I still can't play Crysis 1 in DX10 on my HDTV because of the way it handles refresh rate, and when I get a DX11 card it sounds like the same problem persists in C2. Not to mention the final level is STILL a horrendous, buggy mess.

I like their games, but this is just horrible.

bluestuff

luka said:
This better not be true. 1.9 gave me a problem that makes the game crash every time I load a save from the menu or after a death. Looking at the mycrysis forums it's not an isolated case.

Crytek (and EA) have a terrible habit of cutting support just because they're "happy" with the current state of the game, whatever that means. I still can't play Crysis 1 in DX10 on my HDTV because of the way it handles refresh rate, and when I get a DX11 card it sounds like the same problem persists in C2. Not to mention the final level is STILL a horrendous, buggy mess.

I like their games, but this is just horrible.
hmm thought it was just me :/

Finished the game today, and man oh man the BUGS!?! AI glitching out everywhere, my character not being able to shoot his weapon, getting stuck on geometry and that was off a menu load.

If I died, and decided to quick load the game I would get even more issues. HUD being stuck in the "getting hurt" state, water and other particle effects glitching on the UI, complete events and groups of enemies not spawning. I guess it was the new patch with all the new bells and whistles, as when I played the game 4 months ago it didn't seem nearly as buggy. For a triple AAA game it is border line unacceptable......

LovingSteam said:
Can't watch at work. Can you offer up a few of the most important quotes?

*He is excited for Warface coming out.
*WarFace is to scale for 6 years worth of hardware
*From low to very high spec
*hundreds of items

*Cryengine 3 SDK is out right now and free to download expected to hear more about it on gaf.

*Crysis 2 was financial success 3 million sold
*He felt Crysis 2 scored too low for all the resources put into it
*2 Nasty Ai bug made it through Q&A (guess one is the environment clipping bug)
*He doesn't say it word for word but it seems Ea wanted to rush the release
*Better marketing and communication to their fanbase

*He is looking forward to mw3(i know that sledgehammer studio has a CE3 license)
*And BF3 of course

*They still have a teaser coming this week and a reveal within a month
*My guess is the Crysis 1 remake for consoles

I think i covered most of it.

dragonelite said:
*He is excited for Warface coming out.
*WarFace is to scale for 6 years worth of hardware
*From low to very high spec
*hundreds of items

*Cryengine 3 SDK is out right now and free to download expected to hear more about it on gaf.

*2 Nasty Ai bug made it through Q&A (guess one is the environment clipping bug)
*Better marketing and communication to their fanbase

*He is looking forward to mw3(i know that sledgehammer studio has a CE3 license)
*And BF3 of course

*They still have a teaser coming this week and a reveal within a month
*My guess is the Crysis 1 remake for consoles

I think i covered most of it.

Thanks. Was hoping he'd fess up to dropping the communication ball on Crysis 2 PC but I suppose that is too much to ask for.

markao

LovingSteam said:
Can't watch at work. Can you offer up a few of the most important quotes?
See above ;)

But overall I got the feeling he was looking at what they could/should have done differently and I think that's a first and important step in to improving your next release. I don't think that this was always the case in previous interviews (years) with Cevat (always looking outwards/others for reason why things failed/went wrong).

LovingSteam said:
Thanks. Was hoping he'd fess up to dropping the communication ball on Crysis 2 PC but I suppose that is too much to ask for.

He did ;)

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
This is a fantastic read:

http://techreport.com/articles.x/21404

I can't believe what a slipshod job Crytek did on the tessellation.

Check out how many polys it adds to this flat concrete barrier:

barrier-side-full-620.jpg

barrier-side-mesh-620.jpg

newbarrier-full.jpg

newbarrier-mesh.jpg

Also, it seems like there is dense tessellated water being simulated and drawn underneath every area near a coast:

city-trees-full-620.jpg

city-trees-water-mesh-620.jpg

!!!

This is beyond lazy. This is just amateur.

-GOUKI-

You know even though there's some trouble with the DX11 implemetation, its still infinitly better than 90% of other pc games with DX11.

-GOUKI- said:
Thats a pretty shitty job.

Not sure but what can you really tesselate in a city most of the object are from what i can remember of my hobby modeling time solid objects. Flat surfaces and stuff mostly build out of cubes. More organic like environment like a jungle and characters should benefit more from it but once again they have suits on.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
dragonelite said:
Not sure but what can you really tesselate in a city most of the object are from what i can remember of my hobby modeling time solid objects. Flat surfaces and stuff mostly build out of cubes. More organic like environment like a jungle and characters should benefit more from it but once again they have suits on.

You should apply for a job at Crytek.

scitek

-GOUKI- said:
You know even though there's some trouble with the DX11 implemetation, its still infinitly better than 90% of other pc games with DX11.
No it's not. It runs like shit on single GPU machines for the most part.

-GOUKI-

scitek said:
No it's not. It runs like shit on single GPU machines for the most part.
uh and how much dx11 features is it using compared to the likes of BC2, Dragon Age 2 etc?

Even compare how much tessalation is in Dirt 2 to Crysis 2.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
dragonelite said:
Could have seen that coming from a mile away. It was super obvious in the multiplayer and how little was done in the way of PC options.

dragonelite said:
This seems to be a very poisonous attitude in the game industry, that if developers put X amount of production values into a game it deserves Y score, like some sort of linear function.

It's unarguable that Crysis 2 has more production value put into it than Crysis 1 but it is quite argueable whether it actually has better gameplay.

NBtoaster

dragonelite said:

The problem is with the things they did tesselate, not the things they didn't.

Wish they would have maybe attempted to fix the awful AI in this. Replaying through it now with my new video card installed and everything cranked up and it really is a fantastic FPS experience but the retarded nature of the AI often kills the feeling of quality in this.

For a game that sold over 3 million copies it really feels dead online, can't get into so many of the game modes as no one is playing them either.

hauton

Decided to give this a shot since I enjoyed Crysis/Warhead, unfortunately it's one of these PC games that requires arcane knowledge to setup properly and my OCD is not happy whatsoever.

Fresh install
1.9 patch
DX11
High-res textures

I've figured out how to cap the tessellation on my AMD card (thanks guys)
and I've figured out how to get rid of the obnoxious underscan/black bars that pop up when I fullscreen (I think, gotta test) disregard this stupid thing still won't work
and I've figured out that autoexec.cfg doesn't work anymore for some odd reason and I have to implement everything at the game.cfg level (wtf)

But I'm having the hardest time trying to open r_displayinfo and it's just not working - I've heard that they've disabled a lot of cvars due to cheating, but did they really honestly disable the framerate display? I want to check my framerate/whether I'm running 64-bit/etc. so this is really aggravating that it's taking such an inordinate amount of work to get something so simple off the ground.

con_restricted apparently has been nuked into oblivion so that's no go. But further search tells me that r_displayinfo was whitelisted as late as patch 1.4 so either I'm completely screwing the pooch somewhere or they inexplicably disabled it sometime between then and now.

Gameplay in crysis 2 feels very standard compared to the first game...definitely an inferior experience in my eyes. Wave after wave of bullet sponges...set pieces with a number of different approaches, but obviously far less freedom of movement than the first game. I find the endless set pieces very tedious

Karram

BobsRevenge said:
Dude, what? Crysis 2 is insanely polished... Way more polished than the first.

As far as production quality goes, Crysis 2 is top tier. Not sure why you'd feel like amateurs developed it. It isn't nearly as good as the first, but it's extremely professional...
Firstly, the stealth system. I think they could've just called the skip system. I felt more like I'm skipping encounters than trying to skillfully sneaking past enemies without being spotted. I never noticed how broken the stealth is in C1 but I don't know if it's because the encounters were bigger in size, so the cloak meter would run out multiple times before getting past the encounter, or it was the smarter AI could spot you faster. In short choosing stealth mode is the easiest way to get past the encounter.

Secondly, the game doesn't encourage the player to be mobile and use the environments. Since any action the player does except for shooting and crouching, drains the suit energy. Let's say if the player chooses armor mode and goes into the encounter guns blazing. He probably will sit behind cover, since sprinting and jumping will drain his suit energy even more making him more vulnerable to enemy fire. Killing any chance of the player flanking enemies, using environmental hazards, his melee abilities or even using the encounter space for repositioning within battle and using the verticality of the levels.
I even felt discouraged to sprint before the battle starts so I don't have an empty energy suit by time the enemies spots me. It just felt like the easiest way to engage any combat scenario is hiding behind cover and being immobile till the encounter is over kinda like a cover based shooter. Which doesn't make the player feel like a super soldier.

Other complaints like how the city is feels disconnected mainly because how the game teleports the player to parts of the city between mission briefing and how each part of the city had a different theme. Another thing was how the player just doesn't feel so special even though he is the one with the Nano suit. You'll just find normal soldiers yelling at him, giving him orders, acting like he is just a normal soldier like them, which I feel the game should've made the player feel a little more powerful and special just like how Halo does with Master Chief.

The game does have a weak start, about the first 2 hours are uninteresting and boring but the game does pick up after that with more intense combat encounters and a somewhat story narrative. I'm a strong believer that having a strong start is way more important than having a a strong ending. People usually have a short attention span, they won't play a game for 2 hours if they're not enjoying it. SO the game needs to hook them the very moment they start playing it.

-SD-

Banned
nelsonroyale said:
Gameplay in crysis 2 feels very standard compared to the first game...definitely an inferior experience in my eyes. Wave after wave of bullet sponges...set pieces with a number of different approaches, but obviously far less freedom of movement than the first game. I find the endless set pieces very tedious
Yes, yes and yes. Very much inferior to Crysis.

FlyinJ said:

There is another possible explanation. Let's connect the dots on that one. As you may know, the two major GPU vendors tend to identify the most promising upcoming PC games and partner up with the publishers and developers of those games in various ways, including offering engineering support and striking co-marketing agreements. As a very high-profile title, Crysis 2 has gotten lots of support from Nvidia in various forms. In and of itself, such support is generally a good thing for PC gaming. In fact, we doubt the DX11 patch for this game would even exist without Nvidia's urging. We know for a fact that folks at Nvidia were disappointed about how the initial Crysis 2 release played out, just as many PC gamers were. The trouble comes when, as sometimes happens, the game developer and GPU maker conspire to add a little special sauce to a game in a way that doesn't benefit the larger PC gaming community. There is precedent for this sort of thing in the DX11 era. Both the Unigine Heaven demo and Tom Clancy's HAWX 2 cranked up the polygon counts in questionable ways that seemed to inflate the geometry processing load without providing a proportionate increase in visual quality.

Unnecessary geometric detail slows down all GPUs, of course, but it just so happens to have a much larger effect on DX11-capable AMD Radeons than it does on DX11-capable Nvidia GeForces. The Fermi architecture underlying all DX11-class GeForce GPUs dedicates more attention (and transistors) to achieving high geometry processing throughput than the competing Radeon GPU architectures. We've seen the effect quite clearly in synthetic tessellation benchmarks. Few games have shown a similar effect, simply because they don't push enough polygons to strain the Radeons' geometry processing rates. However, with all of its geometric detail, the DX11 upgraded version of Crysis 2 now manages to push that envelope. The guys at Hardware.fr found that enabling tessellation dropped the frame rates on recent Radeons by 31-38%. The competing GeForces only suffered slowdowns of 17-21%.

Would'nt be surprising one bit if Nvidia had a hand in this. Fucking PC gamers over for their benefit.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Rabid Wolverine said:
Would'nt be surprising one bit if Nvidia had a hand in this. Fucking PC gamers over for their benefit.
That is exactly what ATI did with Dragon Age 2 so it's not like either company is a saint here.

Karram said:
Really, I mean the dude had 'a Cevat Yerli game' shown twice in the opening credits. Nothing will ever change what I think of him after I saw that. Plus check out this interview:
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/6147/the_bleeding_edge_cevat_yerli_on_.php
Crysis was a bit difficult to access because it required more burden on the player to think. What we want is for the burden to be reduced, but thinking is still allowed, so the access is easier, simplified. Generally, if you have complex systems that are more easily accessible, it is an evolution and a challenge. Hence, moving the sandbox to a choreographed sandbox was a challenge in gameplay design.
fuuuuuuuuuck

scitek

It's pretty obvious the game is the way it is because of the consoles. Crysis was made with PCs newer than 2007 in mind, Crysis 2 had to work on machines from 2005/6 and play to the Call of Duty crowd.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
With this talk of Crysis coming to consoles with the C2 suit/power layout I was thinking about something and figured someone here could maybe shed some light...

How hard would it be for a mod team or talented individual to use cryengine tools from Crysis or whatever else and get the Nanosuit2.0 control scheme from C2 into the first game? It almost seems like something that could be built inside of a config file but i don't know how complicated it would be to manipulate the settings for the quick switch suit controls ...

Some of the changes i liked in the suit and i think it would be interesting to try the more open environment of C1. When you hold shift you use speed and it drains energy ... q for armor and E for strength ... with the base walking speed jacked up a little and reloading being fastest when you have armor/power both turned off...

i dunno. I'd like to try out the changes on my PC.. not my ps3.

NBtoaster

scitek said:
It's pretty obvious the game is the way it is because of the consoles. Crysis was made with PCs newer than 2007 in mind, Crysis 2 had to work on machines from 2005/6 and play to the Call of Duty crowd.

It's still a unique shooter and a very good game. It doesn't play much like Call of Duty really.

-SD- said:
Yes, yes and yes. Very much inferior to Crysis.

Its hilarious but somebody said that the crysis felt like a sequel to crysis 2....its true. The story is actually better in the original as well...or at least, it has characters that have an ounce of personality...no interesing characters, bar perhaps hargrieves in crysis 2

Eppy Thatcher said:
How hard would it be for a mod team or talented individual to use cryengine tools from Crysis or whatever else and get the Nanosuit2.0 control scheme from C2 into the first game? It almost seems like something that could be built inside of a config file but i don't know how complicated it would be to manipulate the settings for the quick switch suit controls ...

The other question would be: Why?

How hard is it to press R3 to open up the radial power menu of the original and select the power, exactly like in the PC Version. It's the exact same method. And would save buttons for lean left and right.

Edit: Ooops, just seen you want that control scheme for PC not the ports.

nelsonroyale said:
Its hilarious but somebody said that the crysis felt like a sequel to crysis 2....its true. The story is actually better in the original as well...or at least, it has characters that have an ounce of personality...no interesing characters, bar perhaps hargrieves in crysis 2

Crysis 2 had better story telling, Crysis 1 had a bit more interesting cast of characters.

BattleMonkey said:
Crysis 2 had better story telling, Crysis 1 had a bit more interesting cast of characters.

Crysis Warhead had the best characterization in the series with Psycho and Sean O'Neil. Everything else about it was a bit of a drag ...'cept the glorious soundtrack

dLMN8R

BattleMonkey said:
What.

The Crysis 2 story is one of the most poorly written fan fiction pieces of shit I've played in years. It's over-complicated to the point of absurdity, absolutely none of the characters are interesting, and it's only compounded by the fact that the story is constantly driving me as a player to feel like a stupid helpless pawn beholden to whatever random voice happens to be talking in my ear at the time.

Crysis and Warhead's story wasn't anything special, but at least it was told with restraint.

Top Bottom