• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

gdt

Linkzg said:
Right now if you enter code c287ddpcef in EA's Origin store, it brings Crysis 2 on PC down to $21

don't know how long it lasts

Bah! Doesn't work anymore :(. I would've bought it had I known about this code :/.

Darkone

Strated playing the game, AWESOME grachics with my new GTX560 Ti, but..when i try to load a check point save the game crashes every time to windows, anyone have this similiar problem??

i have reinstalled it and it did not help, using Patch 1.9 with DX11.

Metroid-Squadron said:

From the article :
But how did Crysis 2, a triple-A, high-profile multi-platform game from a proven developer, ship with such a susceptibility to cheating?

According to Crytek UK, the developer simply didn't expect the game to get hacked on the scale it did.

So it was okay if it got hacked a bit and there were some cheaters, that didn't warrant bothering with any cheat protection whatsoever.
Nope.

This attitude is why crysis 2 mp is such a joke.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
That's what they get for handing off the multiplayer portion to "Crytek UK" which had zero experience with PC multiplayer prior to this. It was a mindbogglingly stupid move.

They still seem to think the community is retarded as well because they repackaged bits of the singleplayer as multiplayer map packs and called it a day.

MaddenNFL64

Stallion Free said:
That's what they get for handing off the multiplayer portion to "Crytek UK" which had zero experience with PC multiplayer prior to this. It was a mindbogglingly stupid move.

Wow, so how fucked is the PC multi from hackers? Damn.

Karram

Stallion Free said:
Same here, I'm always down for more Crysis singleplayer.
I'm sure there are a bunch of talented indviduals working on high quality SP levels as we are talking right now. We'll just have to wait for a few month till we actually get to play them.

Karram said:
I'm sure there are a bunch of talented indviduals working on high quality SP levels as we are talking right now. We'll just have to wait for a few month till we actually get to play them.
I hope you're right. Otherwise I guess I'll be waiting for that 360 version of Crysis 1, whenever they get around to announcing it.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
I started getting a wierd glitch today and I'm not sure if it's my graphics card overheating or the game. Everything has been running fine for the first third of the game but now my character is disappearing/reappearing as well as the environment. Walls will literally disappear. Below is a pic where my leg is gone and parts of my hand and gun have been cut off. I think it's likely a botched install since this is my first time playing it on my new PC or the hi-res texture pack is causing it. Anyone else experience this?

FmGEt.jpg

I just got this and it's cool...but is it common that whenever the game suggests I press "Select" to use the customization menu that I get stuck in place and can't do anything?

upJTboogie said:
I just got this and it's cool...but is it common that whenever the game suggests I press "Select" to use the customization menu that I get stuck in place and can't do anything?
Yes the weapon/suit power select screen pauses the action if I remember correctly. Or is it freezing up on you completely, that's not normal.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Neuromancer said:
Yes the weapon/suit power select screen pauses the action if I remember correctly.
It's not supposed to. You should still be able to move/look around and everything still should be happening around you.

Neuromancer said:
Yes the weapon/suit power select screen pauses the action if I remember correctly. Or is it freezing up on you completely, that's not normal.
Nah what I mean is there's some glitch when the prompt comes up, and your stuck in place and the only thing you can do is shoot, no other buttons work. I just wanted to see if anyone else had this problem.

upJTboogie said:
Nah what I mean is there's some glitch when the prompt comes up, and your stuck in place and the only thing you can do is shoot, no other buttons work. I just wanted to see if anyone else had this problem.
Oh no, I have no idea.

Also I didn't realize you could move and look around when you were at that screen, I guess I just never tried.

Well got past those bugs, took a few reloads but I got through.

Now it freezes my PS3 to a black screen when I die and load a save.

Game is kind of a mess technically.

JB1981

Been playing the MP on 360. I pretty much love it. I love the the traversal, the perks, the relative lack of camping, the suit powers. Everything comes together in a unique way and feels decidedly different from the rest of the shooters out there. The matchmaking is very fast and there are is a good variety of gametypes and maps. More people should play this game. If the game had just one more good level of polish it would be triple-a across the board.

Lucario

ugh, I just have to list what specifically... bugs me about this game. It's not a bad game, it's just a huge disappointment after how fun Crysis could be.

This game shouldn't have been named Crysis. The only real holdover in gameplay is the nanosuit, and it controls entirely differently, even automatically putting you in suit modes for certain functions (entirely ruining the feeling that you have control over what you're doing. ). It seems to exist in Crysis 2 as a plot function; a reason for why you're a walking tank. That said, for a relatively generic shooter, it's pretty good. Can't see myself finishing it, glad I bought it with bitcoins, but at least I can benchmark with it.... And when I'm getting the craving for some dumb FPS action, I'll just play this.

But still. It's not the PC to console shift that bugs me (at all. I wanted to see what Crytek Engine could do on the consoles), it's the fact that the surrounding world in crysis 2 is DEAD. In crysis 1 I could play as the fuckin' God Hand. I could be a nanosuit ninja. I could punch down trees, houses, hell, I could be a giant floating drill press used to kill Koreans. Or throw various pieces of well-scripted wildlife at people; not a lot felt better than clearing out a compound with a fucking turtle or duck. Also, the cars were moving grenades, and the destruction on them, despite being utterly unrealistic, was hilarious.

Now?

Nothing interacts. Even the cars, in the times I was able to drive them, DON'T HAVE A DAMAGE METER. They don't blow up, aren't destructible, and don't explode (aw.) You also accumulate ketchup on the side of your screen (which naturally regenerates) instead of Crysis' handy health bar (which makes sense for the first time in forever in a game, thanks to your nanosuit's health functions. How the fuck are you going to be bleeding inside your visor when people shoot you with that thing on again?)

So, I suppose good job with the gameplay, Crytek. You've managed to simplify Crysis a bit, and make a pretty, but utterly lifeless and unenjoyable world to roam around in.

Reave

Lucario said:
ugh, I just have to list what specifically... bugs me about this game. It's not a bad game, it's just a huge disappointment after how fun Crysis could be.

This game shouldn't have been named Crysis. The only real holdover in gameplay is the nanosuit, and it controls entirely differently, even automatically putting you in suit modes for certain functions (entirely ruining the feeling that you have control over what you're doing. ). It seems to exist in Crysis 2 as a plot function; a reason for why you're a walking tank. That said, for a relatively generic shooter, it's pretty good. Can't see myself finishing it, glad I bought it with bitcoins, but at least I can benchmark with it.... And when I'm getting the craving for some dumb FPS action, I'll just play this.

But still. It's not the PC to console shift that bugs me (at all. I wanted to see what Crytek Engine could do on the consoles), it's the fact that the surrounding world in crysis 2 is DEAD. In crysis 1 I could play as the fuckin' God Hand. I could be a nanosuit ninja. I could punch down trees, houses, hell, I could be a giant floating drill press used to kill Koreans. Or throw various pieces of well-scripted wildlife at people; not a lot felt better than clearing out a compound with a fucking turtle or duck. Also, the cars were moving grenades, and the destruction on them, despite being utterly unrealistic, was hilarious.

Now?

Nothing interacts. Even the cars, in the times I was able to drive them, DON'T HAVE A DAMAGE METER. They don't blow up, aren't destructible, and don't explode (aw.) You also accumulate ketchup on the side of your screen (which naturally regenerates) instead of Crysis' handy health bar (which makes sense for the first time in forever in a game, thanks to your nanosuit's health functions. How the fuck are you going to be bleeding inside your visor when people shoot you with that thing on again?)

So, I suppose good job with the gameplay, Crytek. You've managed to simplify Crysis a bit, and make a pretty, but utterly lifeless and unenjoyable world to roam around in.

In comparison to the first game, yes, it was very scaled back in terms of exploration and the nanosuit tweaks, but I couldn't call it "dumb" by any stretch. As scaled back as it is, it still lets you tackle missions in a few different ways... that alone sets it as a cut above most console shooters these days, but I won't get into that. It's a weird dilemma, like you said, of the first game being deeper and feeling like the sequel, but as a stand alone game (especially for the newcomers of the series that only have consoles), I think it was one of the better experiences to be had. Not sure how well it'll hold up to those "other" games coming this year, but I think it deserves some credit.

Smokey

Completed the game today. 18 hrs total according to Steam, but that includes a restart to play the game on Ultra and hi-res pack.

Overall the 2nd half is definitely better than the first, but I did feel like the game dragged on. It did have an awesome ending though and left me with a "fuck yea" lol.

Overall this turned out to be one of my favorite shooters this gen, can't wait for dat Crysis 3.

Alxjn

Lucario said:

Now?

You're in control of every suit power you use. What do you even mean by "automatically putting you in suit modes for certain functions". Anytime I wanted to use suit energy it was by choice.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I picked this up and installed the DX11 pack and the high res texture pack.

I play with everything on ultra and high res textures enabled. The only thing I turn off is motion blur.

It runs fairly well... about 30fps. Some sections, however, drop quite a bit.... down to around 15fps.

So, my question is, what setting should I downgrade that will have the least visual impact but give me a decent performance boost?

SneakyStephan said:
From the article :

So it was okay if it got hacked a bit and there were some cheaters, that didn't warrant bothering with any cheat protection whatsoever.
Nope.

This attitude is why crysis 2 mp is such a joke.

Is hacking at all present in the PS3 version?

ph33nix said:
Nobody plays multiplayer anymore, but I can't blame them :(

Really?

scitek

FlyinJ said:
I picked this up and installed the DX11 pack and the high res texture pack.

I play with everything on ultra and high res textures enabled. The only thing I turn off is motion blur.

It runs fairly well... about 30fps. Some sections, however, drop quite a bit.... down to around 15fps.

So, my question is, what setting should I downgrade that will have the least visual impact but give me a decent performance boost?
If you have an ATI card, it's the tessellation dragging your performance down. Download RadeonPro, create a profile, and limit tessellation to 16x or lower. Otherwise, turning Object to Extreme will turn off tessellation all together (you also lose Parrallax Occlusion Mapping, though) and your framerate will be stable.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
scitek said:
If you have an ATI card, it's the tessellation dragging your performance down. Download RadeonPro, create a profile, and limit tessellation to 16x or lower. Otherwise, turning Object to Extreme will turn off tessellation all together (you also lose Parrallax Occlusion Mapping, though) and your framerate will be stable.

Ah! That makes perfect sense. Are ATI boards just generally bad at tessellation, or is this game optimized for the way Nvidia performs it (I'm using a 6950)?

What does the tessellation default to? 32x?

Nekrono

FlyinJ said:
Ah! That makes perfect sense. Are ATI boards just generally bad at tessellation, or is this game optimized for the way Nvidia performs it (I'm using a 6950)?

Nah they are usually around the same in tessellation it's just that nvidia payed a lot of money to Crytek and the fact that also AMD improves performance over time with patches, you should download the Catalyst 11.8 preview as it provides around a 10% boost in Crysis 2.

Also I have the same card with a 2500k and I get around the same FPS as you, you can download tessellation at about 6x or 8x and have the game become perfectly playabe at around 35-40+ FPS but you'll get deformation in some places/objects (like some bricks, etc).

Mess around with the tessellation slider until you find a mix of performance/looks, I think I have mine set at 16x but I don't mind playing at 8x to get better framerate.

scitek

FlyinJ said:

I've read that nvidia cards handle tessellation better than their 5xxx and 68xx AMD counterparts, but the 69xx were improved upon to be more or less the same as nvidia in performance. For whatever reason, though, the 69xx cards still perform like shit with the default settings. My buddy has a 560Ti and his card outperforms mine in benchmarks by almost 10 fps. I have a 6950, too, and the 11.8 preview drivers didn't improve my performance at all.

JB1981

AgentOtaku said:
Is hacking at all present in the PS3 version?

Really?
I have been playing on 360 for a few weeks now and the games are always populated and matchmaking is super fast. A lot of people play.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
scitek said:
I've read that nvidia cards handle tessellation better than their 5xxx and 68xx AMD counterparts, but the 69xx were improved upon to be more or less the same as nvidia in performance. For whatever reason, though, the 69xx cards still perform like shit with the default settings. My buddy has a 560Ti and his card outperforms mine in benchmarks by almost 10 fps. I have a 6950, too, and the 11.8 preview drivers didn't improve my performance at all.

Well, your suggestion of overriding the tessellation to 16x worked like a charm. I'm maintaining 30fps constantly now, and I can't even tell the difference graphics-wise.

Thanks!

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
This game looks incredible when you're playing it, so the low res, prerendered videos stick out like a sore thumb. What a shame.

Grassy

scitek said:

Thanks for this! I have a 6970 and in some areas my fps was getting into the low teens. Now it doesn't go lower than 30, cheers :)

Just finished this and it was a decent game, and I felt I was going through the motions taking out enemies, cloaking then taking out more, I would love to go Rambo sometimes but that sometimes ends up with me being dead.

+ I like that you have multiple ways to pass a section, I usually choose stealth options.
+ The soundtrack is so damn good, the main theme is crazy.
+ Gunplay is good.
+ Graphics are up there on consoles but fall short from the best.

- There is a good amount of framerate drops when things get hectic.
- Too much problems technically, freezing in place, loading a save freezes the console
- Sometimes you can fall through the floor.
- Those walker enemies have to be the most tedious fights in the game, reminds me of the inFamous 2 mini bosses.
- I'm pretty sure this game has sections of infinitely re-spawning enemies and that is beyond annoying.

3/5 from me, wasn't really a memorable experience for me.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Grassy said:
Thanks for this! I have a 6970 and in some areas my fps was getting into the low teens. Now it doesn't go lower than 30, cheers :)

I actually do see the negatives of doing this. Brick surfaces no longer look like molded, individual bricks when you stick your face right next to them... they turn into a bit of a mangled height map. In some areas the tessellation still works ok, but others not so much.

Definitely not that big of a deal, and worth the extra FPS.

Top Bottom