• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

Red

RoboPlato said:
That really sucks, man. Even though the thing you posted a page back is hilarious it definitely ruins the game and I can definitely see how it would really sully your opinion of it. It's a shame too, because the game is really great when you get into the flow of it.
It's not just that weird twilight zone thing though, it's a bunch of little details that add up. My opinion on it was kind of soured early on by the AI and abysmally poor textures for some objects on PC, and by the second level when I'd seen this, I realized there just wasn't the same amount of dedication put into this project as the last game.

It's been a series of mounting disappointments, and I really want to love it at times -- the first person movement outmatches every other shooter, and comes close to rivaling Mirror's Edge, the visuals in DX11 mode are typically sublime -- but the actual game they're serving just isn't impressing me. It's taking me forever to get through, and I want to finish it still, but it feels like a chore sometimes.

There are moments when objectives won't trigger unless I cross a certain spot again, like the game missed me the first time; there are instances of enemies simply vanishing once I cue a particular trigger; there are sections where enemies seem completely oblivious to me and stand around while I pick them off (post-human warrior), contrasted to places where they're apparently able to see me through walls while I'm invisible. I know a lot of my complaints are redundant by this point, because the thread has basically lived its course and opinions have been formed, and I don't want to sound like I'm whining just for the sake of whining... it's just that my experience with the game has been an exercise in Murphy's law. Every time I fall into a groove, there's a new hitch that pulls me right back out.

Calcaneus

Effect said:
Is the multiplayer on the PS3 version of the game still active? Was it ever?
For the most part, I haven't had a huge problem getting a game. Not very long waits at all.

Don't know how strong the community is beyond that, but there are people playing.

Cudder

Effect said:
Is the multiplayer on the PS3 version of the game still active? Was it ever?
There's still people playing it, but the lag and framerate make it such a trash game online. It was alright when it first came out, then it got a whole lot worse. Can't believe I got to level 50 twice in this game.

-SD-

Banned
I don't know what to say...

rainbow_dash_nanosuit_9rp6.jpg

Maldo just released the latest version of his mod for Crysis 2. Amazing work and effort put into it. Aside from the texture pack, he fixes all sorts of terrible and ugly bugs regarding tessellation (like the things pointed out in that Tech Report article), geometry, the parallax mapping, and other aspects of Crytek's rather sloppy DX11 upgrade. On top of that there's even added tessellation in places that could have used it, parallax mapping on things like tire treads (=P), and overall it's a net gain in performance, runs better than vanilla DX11 ultra :lol

http://maldotex.blogspot.com/

Check out the readme included with the mod for some more details, and especially look at the comparison screenshots he's posted in the past, as well as the ones included with the download. It's pretty mind boggling, both how much he's fixed, and how much was wrong with the maps in the first place.

PS: while his config utility has an option for the Blackfyre settings, please don't turn that atrocious thing on =(

scitek

Sax Russel said:
Maldo just released the latest version of his mod for Crysis 2. Amazing work and effort put into it. Aside from the texture pack, he fixes all sorts of terrible and ugly bugs regarding tessellation (like the things pointed out in that Tech Report article), geometry, the parallax mapping, and other aspects of Crytek's rather sloppy DX11 upgrade. On top of that there's even added tessellation in places that could have used it, parallax mapping on things like tire treads (=P), and overall it's a net gain in performance, runs better than vanilla DX11 ultra :lol

http://maldotex.blogspot.com/

Check out the readme included with the mod for some more details, and especially look at the comparison screenshots he's posted in the past, as well as the ones included with the download. It's pretty mind boggling, both how much he's fixed, and how much was wrong with the maps in the first place.

PS: while his config utility has an option for the Blackfyre settings, please don't turn that atrocious thing on =(

Yeah, it's craaaaazy the amount of work Maldo's done. I'm playing through the game again, and it runs way better on my card than before with tessellation set to Application Controlled. I have an AMD card, too, so that's definitely a welcome thing. Everything looks really nice, too, save for a couple of flickering textures I've seen here and there. Coming back to it months later makes me realize how much I enjoy this campaign.

Red

I thought it was over, but the nightmare is just beginning.

The level begins normally, but as I cross a bridge, all enemies and allies vanish.

2433pnd.jpg

I reach the end and realize, I am back in the Dead Zone.

2wgd3j5.jpg

So I try to turn around.

But then, giant train.

2qcjqfr.jpg

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Crunched, have you tried deleting and reinstalling the game? You seem to have the most fucked up copy of Crysis 2 out there.

Tomodachi

I just installed the game, the dx11 patch and the hi-res texture pack and played the first chapter and a chunk from the second.
First I set all to ultra (actually the game itselft chose it for me) from the ingame settings, only thing I changed in system.cfg is the intro skip. Also, I had to reduce to low the amount of motion blur because I thought it was a little too much at medium settings, didn't like it a lot.
Well, I got stable 20fps in exterior, so I thought I was better off disabling hi-res textures, but that didn't actually change a thing. So I set it all to the default extreme settings and now I get stable 30fps in exteriors and 60 in interiors. At extreme the game is still stunning anyway, nothing like the first Crysis, only really great at the highest settings possible.

I'm still uncertain about the Maldo mod you were talking about, I don't usually like mods that change textures drastically and alter the general feeling of locations, but if you say it can improve performance I could give it a shot. What do you think?

Also, any other hidden setting in the cfg file I should turn on/off? As far as I can tell game is locked at some default fps values, there's no middle ground between 30 and 60 for example. Is that right?

Red

Tomodachi said:
I just installed the game, the dx11 patch and the hi-res texture pack and played the first chapter and a chunk from the second.
First I set all to ultra (actually the game itselft chose it for me) from the ingame settings, only thing I changed in system.cfg is the intro skip. Also, I had to reduce to low the amount of motion blur because I thought it was a little too much at medium settings, didn't like it a lot.
Well, I got stable 20fps in exterior, so I thought I was better off disabling hi-res textures, but that didn't actually change a thing. So I set it all to the default extreme settings and now I get stable 30fps in exteriors and 60 in interiors. At extreme the game is still stunning anyway, nothing like the first Crysis, only really great at the highest settings possible.

I'm still uncertain about the Maldo mod you were talking about, I don't usually like mods that change textures drastically and alter the general feeling of locations, but if you say it can improve performance I could give it a shot. What do you think?

Also, any other hidden setting in the cfg file I should turn on/off? As far as I can tell game is locked at some default fps values, there's no middle ground between 30 and 60 for example. Is that right?
If it's switching between 30 and 60 for you, with no in between, you probably have vsync enabled.

You can increase the FOV and play with the in-game AA to make the image a little cleaner through .cfg files.

The newest Maldo's pack seems to fix a few tesselation issues, so it's worth downloading. It doubled my frame rate in places.

RoboPlato said:
Crunched, have you tried deleting and reinstalling the game? You seem to have the most fucked up copy of Crysis 2 out there.
Twice! I think it's got something to do with previously having the Blackfyre mod installed, as I know it caused issues when loading from checkpoints instead of starting from the beginning of levels. But it's uninstalled now and I'm still having problems, even after a full reinstall of the game. I've tried with no mods at all, but that made no difference. Sometimes after checkpoints the game will randomly fail to load further areas or enemies, or load the wrong stuff altogether. This is the only game this kind of stuff is happening with. Seriously, what could be the cause of a GIGANTIC FUCKING TRAIN appearing behind me? It doesn't make sense.

The music gets messed up too. It starts playing only the deepest bass of songs and seems to amplify wind noise. Objects get really weird physics behavior, and if I touch them they end up flying way off into the distance. Cars and everything.

Tomodachi

Crunched said:
If it's switching between 30 and 60 for you, with no in between, you probably have vsync enabled.
Oh yeah, that must be it. I'll always turn it on because I can't stand tearing, but I guess that does really cap my fps :(

You can increase the FOV and play with the in-game AA to make the image a little cleaner through .cfg files.

The newest Maldo's pack seems to fix a few tesselation issues, so it's worth downloading. It doubled my frame rate in places.
I'll try both of your suggestions, thanks a lot.

Red

Tomodachi said:
Oh yeah, that must be it. I'll always turn it on because I can't stand tearing, but I guess that does really cap my fps :(
Have you tried using D3DOverrider to force triple buffering? You won't be limited by vsync that way. Don't use the in-game solution.

Read this.

Tomodachi

Crunched said:
Have you tried using D3DOverrider to force triple buffering? You won't be limited by vsync that way. Don't use the in-game solution.

Read this.
Oh, I didn't think about the fact that the game could not be enabling it! What's with developers nowadays? Why do I see a TON of PC games without the most obvious "advanced" graphical options? :(

Anyway, can I simply force triple buffering in the nvidia panel with crysis 2? Does that work? Or do I have to use D3DOverrider?

Red

Tomodachi said:
Oh, I didn't think about the fact that the game could not be enabling it! What's with developers nowadays? Why do I see a TON of PC games without the most obvious "advanced" graphical options? :(

Anyway, can I simply force triple buffering in the nvidia panel with crysis 2? Does that work? Or do I have to use D3DOverrider?
You could try the option. I usually just stick to D3DOverrider. I set it as a Windows event to run at launch, and never really worry about it.

But that's me, experiment and see what you get the best results with.

scitek

MaLDo's mod doesn't really change the feel of the game or anything. He did a good job of keeping the textures similar in appearance, just higher res. That's why I like it, aside from the effort he put into tessellation and whatnot.

Tomodachi

Crunched said:
You could try the option. I usually just stick to D3DOverrider. I set it as a Windows event to run at launch, and never really worry about it.

But that's me, experiment and see what you get the best results with.
Yay! I just tried: forced vsync AND triple buffering with nvidia panel, restored all the ingame settings to ultra, turned back on hi-res texture and now I get rather stable 30fps in externals too. Triple buffering worked a miracle here, I'm pretty satisfied :)
Now I'll try installing maldo's mod too, in the hope I can get those extra frames that could come in handy in the most chaotic situations :)
Thanks for the help!

luka

Loves Robotech S1
I finally fixed my 1.9 loading/crashing problem that made the game unplayable. Know how? I used a crack. God damn, Crytek. When you have to rely on warez teams to fix your game, you have a problem. Best of luck in the future guys, you won't be seeing any more of my money.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Question guys: I presume the PC version of Crysis 2 comes with CryEngine 3? And if so, does it come with a lot of jungle assets? I want to see how the jungles are made, and the LOD of the trees, etc., among other things, but if I can get that in Crysis 2 I'll skip Crysis 1.

markao

Ether_Snake said:
Question guys: I presume the PC version of Crysis 2 comes with CryEngine 3? And if so, does it come with a lot of jungle assets? I want to see how the jungles are made, and the LOD of the trees, etc., among other things, but if I can get that in Crysis 2 I'll skip Crysis 1.
Just have a look over at Crydev.net as there are already people that have ported stuff over from the old to the new engine (incl. jungle assets looking at the screenshots I saw over there). So if you ask that question on that forum, I'm sure someone is able to help you with it.

00072mua4ialw.jpg

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
So I'm guessing that making a jungle on Cryengine 2 or 3 would be done in the same way once you have the assets?

XOMTOR

Crunched, have you tried deleting your shader cache for the game? This used to be a cure-all for the original Crysis as it can become corrupted for various reasons. Try deleting the shader folder, it's located at:

C:/Users/<your_user_name>/Saved Games/Crysis2/Shaders/

If you're on the Steam version, it may be in a different location, if so you'll need to search for it. Just delete the entire shader folder. The game should re-create it on next launch. If it goes successfully, the next time you load a level, it'll be devoid of textures for a bit but as the engine re-builds the shader cache, they'll slowly appear. If it doesn't, you may need to rename the ShaderCache.pak file so as to force the game to re-build 'em from scratch. It's located in the Crysis2\Engine folder.

Be sure you don't load a checkpoint, start from the beginning of a level by choosing "replay level"; consider your checkpoints corrupted.

Sai

Sorry if it's been brought up already, but I've been playing the 360 version of Crysis 2's multiplayer for a short while, and I've been encountering frequent lockups. Is this common? Or is my 360 trying to tell me something?

... Please tell me it's the former. :/

scitek

Is this new thread worthy? I've seen other mods get their own thread. If it is I'll create one.

Crysis 2 has a particle mod now, like the Xtreme Particle mod for the first game. I made some gifs.

particles12f8nl.gif

particles2ie8gv.gif

More info and download link here.

I just finshed Crysis 2 on PS3. I was very impressed with the game. It felt very rewarding to explore and use different tactics, an the graphics were amazing. I finished the SP just under 10 hours. 50% power 39% stealth, 9% armor. I loved using the HMG turrets when I found them.

Now, I'm going to move on to MP. I hope people are still playing it.

PC GAMERS: So, what's the generally prefered way to play this game, mouse and keyboard or 360 controller?

Also, except for DX11 patch, are there any other cool graphics tweaks I should get?

Also, what's the situation with AA on the PC version?

Tomodachi

I really liked the in-game AA, though it made the game look slightly blurry.
Same here, I was totally fine with the slightly blurry but totally jaggies free ingame AA. Anyway, if you want to remove it you can, just open autorun.inf (located in documents/my games/something, iirc) and insert r_PostAA=0. For more information on tweaking Google is your friend.
I really don't think it looks better without the ingame AA though, film grain becomes REALLY noticeable and ugly as hell (for me) and the other forms of AA take a much higher performance hit.

If you plan on using maldo's pack make sure you start the game anew since it won't support older savefiles. I never had a chance to try it since I already was pretty far in the game and couldn't be bothered to start all over.

Top Bottom