• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

Morkins

Banned
-bakalhau- said:
Can't keep it up with Fraps.
Yeah... FRAPS is pretty crappy for taking video. But there aren't many good alternatives besides getting a capture card... Although that is even more expensive.

X-Frame

RoboPlato said:
They're very, very similar judging from the videos. PS3 runs at 1024x720 and 360 runs at 1152x720. Framerate seems similar on both.

Gotcha, thanks. Still a bit disappointed that the PS3 version is a lower resolution, but if it's difficult to notice when you're actually playing then they're just numbers I guess.

I'll still wait for the game to come out before I decide which version to get.

nib95

Banned
X-Frame said:
Gotcha, thanks. Still a bit disappointed that the PS3 version is a lower resolution, but if it's difficult to notice when you're actually playing then they're just numbers I guess.

I'll still wait for the game to come out before I decide which version to get.

My guess is the 360 version will be the better version. Demo wise, the 360 version had a better frame rate and resolution, PS3 had better shadows, AF, lighting and water. As far as I can tell from the retail, 360 version has a higher resolution and PS3 version has more AF. No idea about the other things. Sure LoT/DF will have comparisons soon.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
nib95 said:
My guess is the 360 version will be the better version. Demo wise, the 360 version had a better frame rate and resolution, PS3 had better shadows, AF, lighting and water. As far as I can tell from the retail, 360 version has a higher resolution and PS3 version has more AF. No idea about the other things. Sure LoT/DF will have comparisons soon.
LoT comparisons are going to be really funky for this game since there is a huge difference in the starting gamma between the versions. They don't ever adjust that which I think is a big problem in their analysis. They only do out of the box settings.

nib95

Banned
RoboPlato said:
LoT comparisons are going to be really funky for this game since there is a huge difference in the starting gamma between the versions. They don't ever adjust that which I think is a big problem in their analysis. They only do out of the box settings.

Well, I don't plan to change my settings. Using a professionally calibrated Kuro here, so I'm fine with that. So long as their systems are universally calibrated to begin with too.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
nib95 said:
Well, I don't plan to change my settings. Using a professionally calibrated Kuro here, so I'm fine with that. So long as their systems are calibrated too to begin with.
I'm not referring to the TV settings, but to the in-game adjustment. Most games aren't set up to proper standards when it comes to gamma. Even with a pro-calibrated Kuro I'm sure you've had to adjust brightness levels via in-game sliders to get it to look right.

nib95

Banned
RoboPlato said:
I'm not referring to the TV settings, but to the in-game adjustment. Most games aren't set up to proper standards when it comes to gamma. Even with a pro-calibrated Kuro I'm sure you've had to adjust brightness levels via in-game sliders to get it to look right.

Actually nope, I've never had to do that. The brightness has always been spot on at default every game I've ever tried. That is, where it gives you that screen where it says, x logo should only just be visible. Naturally gamma is slightly different between PS3 and 360 even after calibration, but that is only because the consoles do output images differently to begin with.

I do find PS3 captures tend to be more washed out than they look on my screen though. No idea why that is.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
nib95 said:
Actually nope, I've never had to do that. The brightness has always been spot on at default every game I've ever tried. That is, where it gives you that screen where it says, x logo should only just be visible. Naturally gamma is slightly different between PS3 and 360 even after calibration, but that is only because the consoles do output images differently to begin with.

I do find PS3 captures tend to be more washed out than they look on my screen though. No idea why that is.
The 360 version of this has particularly crushed blacks, much more so than any game I've ever seen. I'm sure that you can buff it out with the gamma slider though. Still, I'm absolutely jealous of anyone with a Kuro. I'm in desperate need of a new TV.

nib95

Banned
RoboPlato said:
The 360 version of this has particularly crushed blacks, much more so than any game I've ever seen. I'm sure that you can buff it out with the gamma slider though. Still, I'm absolutely jealous of anyone with a Kuro.

I'm quite shocked that Crytek/EA would let this happen. My assumption was that the devs would never create anything without using calibrated monitors. For example, I always use a Spyder or Huey Pro on mine when I'm designing. That way you at least know what optimal image/colour/brightness should look like. And in the case of Crysis 2 360, would know to up the gamma accordingly in pre-production/development.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
LovingSteam said:
Yep. That is one of my big complaints. In Crysis 1 every tree was destructible. In Crysis 2 it doesn't look like any tree or box is for that matter.
Just playing the game right now, and nope, not every tree was destructible, only the ones with skinny trunks. In Warhead it gets even worse.

Also, somebody was talking about destruction, and pretty much every shack can be destructed, but concrete structures cannot be destructed. In a city, where would you find a shack? Destruction is done better in BF:BC2 since you can actually breaks concrete walls.

Just took the plunge and pre-ordered this for the 360 on Amazon. I better not be disappoint, but from what I've seen on Singleplayer so far, I probably won't be.

M.W.

-Yeti said:
Just took the plunge and pre-ordered this for the 360 on Amazon. I better not be disappoint, but from what I've seen on Singleplayer so far, I probably won't be.

Yeah, the single player is looking epic. The MP has grown on me too. Awesome game incoming in a few days.

Ickman3400 said:
I wish. I'd kill for every pc game to be able to work on steam with the cd key, just bought saints row 2 on amazon for $6 after shipping and that works on steam.

I can agree with this, but I cannot agree that every PC game should use Steamworks. It kills the second hand market (which is a big deal from a consumer perspective).

I can't resell shit like Black Ops because of Steam.

strata8

Violater said:
For such a good looking game the gunfire sounds like piss.
I actually thought it sounded really good. The acoustics of the sounds, anyway. But I guess you're talking about the gun sound itself.

Doesn't seem like you can go wrong with either console versions if your PC isn't up to snuff. Just pick whichever one you have the most friends on. The resolution difference isn't a big deal and performance seems to be on par with one another. Awesome job by Crytek with it being their first attempt.

-Yeti said:
Such a great avatar

Violater

Well unless I see the PS3 version running side by side the 360, I will gay the SP looks fairly impressive visually.
Will wait to see what the verdict is on the MP before I consider biting.

styl3s

Not a big fan of the first crysis but for some reason this one intrigues me, im defiantly picking this up on tuesday for 360, i would get the pc version but i don't have the money for a good gaming rig and if i did i probably wouldn't because SC2 is the only PC game im really into.

im fine with what the elitist say "dumbed down baby versions" of games, i play games for fun, if i want to look at something pretty i will look at my girl :)

Violater said:
Well unless I see the PS3 version running side by side the 360, I will gay the SP looks fairly impressive visually.
Will wait to see what the verdict is on the MP before I consider biting.

HOW WOULD THAT EVEN WORK!?

purg3

slept with Malkin
really wasn't considering getting this, but after watching some of those 360 SP videos posted here, it's probably going to be a day one purchase. looks pretty damn impressive.

nib95

Banned
Just ordered the PC version at Gameplay (UK site) for £22. Said I should receive it before release. Will probably receive a 360 review copy tomorrow as well lol.

strata8

Really nice X360 footage of the third level (there are 19 levels), 'Sudden Impact' (my favourite from what I played):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGgBS8aain0

No spoilers at all in this one, AFAIK. This is the level where you are introduced to both the realtime weapon and nanosuit customisation. He finishes it pretty quickly, though; it took me about 45 minutes when I played it.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Heavy said:
Doesn't seem like you can go wrong with either console versions if your PC isn't up to snuff. Just pick whichever one you have the most friends on. The resolution difference isn't a big deal and performance seems to be on par with one another. Awesome job by Crytek with it being their first attempt.

Such a great avatar
The PS3 version appeared to have a lower resolution and a blurry AA solution in the last few screenies so I would go 360 on the consoles if IQ was a concern.

I think the real winners are the people with mid range PCs. I had no problem running the demo at 60fps locked on a ~$150 video card.

nib95

Banned
NotTarts said:
Really nice X360 footage of the third level (there are 19 levels), 'Sudden Impact' (my favourite from what I played):

No spoilers at all in this one, AFAIK. This is the level where you are introduced to both the realtime weapon and nanosuit customisation. He finishes it pretty quickly, though; it took me about 45 minutes when I played it.

Looks awesome, except for the AI which is appalling. You have a guy getting sliced by a knife, and then still looking around for you waiting to be sliced again before remotely responding, then another guy running in to a crate continuously lol.

strata8

nib95 said:
Looks awesome, except for the AI which is appalling. You have a guy getting sliced by a knife, and then still looking around for you waiting to be sliced again before remotely responding, then another guy running in to a crate continuously lol.
It's a bit odd because it seemed better in the beta.

CozMick

Banned
So about all this leaked 360 footage and practically no PS3 footage.

Call it coincidence if you like but piracy on PS3 doesn't seem so wide spread, if that is indeed where all the footage is coming from.

strata8

CozMick said:

Call it coincidence if you like but piracy on PS3 doesn't seem so wide spread, if that is indeed where all the footage is coming from.
Early retail versions? How would they use XBL if it was pirated?

nib95

Banned
CozMick said:

There's tonnes of PS3 footage now lol. PS3 piracy probably got a lot more widespread in recent months. I've seen torrents of both versions up, and only a torrent of a BETA PC version. Which is funny. Expected the full PC version to be the first to be pirated, but thus far it's just an in-complete version.

Anyway, just buy the damn game and support the devs guys. Especially you PC gamers. Show them why it's ok to spend money optimising and improving PC games/graphics again. I want graphical benchmarks not just what's already in line with what's out and old.

nib95

Banned
CozMick said:
Wow! looks smooth as hell, decent visuals too.

Was kind of shocked it was on PS3 myself. Visuals look brilliant and frame rate silky smooth. Then again, might be because there are no enemies on screen.

Picking this up for my little bro tomorrow. He really loved the MP demo. PS3 version.
Other than not running at 60fps I think this looks great.

aeolist

Banned
NotTarts said:

Hallways barely wider than Call of Duty

Saddest part was when he killed a guy who was on a vehicle mounted turret and I thought "oh he should get in that APC and drive it around and run some dudes over and then mount C4 on the front and use it as an explosive battering ram against the next base he comes across"

And then I realized that such things apparently aren't possible anymore

Top Bottom