• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

Ysiadmihi said:
You sound like you're trying to convince yourself this is true.

No need to convince myself, as I saw more than enough after playing it on a mix of high/very high to not really be impressed.

But I like cities more than large half empty jungles though. So I am more impressed with the Crysis 2 footage.

Ickman3400 said:
Pretty much every recent video shown. Crysis 1 without anything added is not a big deal anymore.

Hahaha. You can't even break the rare tree in Crysis 2. Maybe DX11 will do some crazy magic, but I'm not seeing it so far. Crysis didn't abandon the jungle because they forgot about it. They did because they had to. Not doubting that CE3 is capable of more in theory.

schennmu said:
Hahaha. You can't even break the rare tree in Crysis 2. Maybe DX11 will do some crazy magic, but I'm not seeing it so far. Crysis didn't abandon the jungle because they forgot about it. They did because they had to. Not doubting that CE3 is not capable of more in theory.

Yep. That is one of my big complaints. In Crysis 1 every tree was destructible. In Crysis 2 it doesn't look like any tree or box is for that matter.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Ickman3400 said:
No need to convince myself, as I saw more than enough after playing it on a mix of high/very high to not really be impressed.

But I like cities more than large half empty jungles though. So I am more impressed with the Crysis 2 footage.

oh well, too each his own. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say most people think crysis 1 still looks like a great game/big deal

Nizz

RoboPlato said:
To anyone waiting for impressions on the PS3 version I think I'm going to go ahead and pick it up Tuesday since I have a few gift cards lying around. I'll be sure to post some detailed impressions here if people are still looking for them.
Thanks! More impressions for that version the better for me. I traded in Black Ops for credit over at Amazon (getting $32.25 for it) and depending on more impressions/reviews/face-offs I may bite on C2.

At this point I'm really interested in the SP. I'm not expecting much from the MP after the horrible demo (tech-wise).

Blizzard

Banned
LovingSteam said:
Yep. That is one of my big complaints. In Crysis 1 every tree was destructible. In Crysis 2 it doesn't look like any tree or box is for that matter.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in some of the forest areas in Crysis 1 where you can sneak through lots of big trees, those trees cannot be destroyed, right? And as far as I know, only certain buildings/props could be destroyed, too.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Ickman3400 said:
Pretty much every recent video shown. Crysis 1 without anything added is not a big deal anymore.
This is immeasurably wrong.

LovingSteam said:
This is also wrong. Very very wrong.

Blizzard said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but in some/most of the forest areas in Crysis 1 where you can sneak through lots of big trees, those trees cannot be destroyed, right? And as far as I know, only certain buildings/props could be destroyed, too.

I don't remember not being able to break a tree.

Also Battlefield Bad Company 1 has the feature on consoles (worse implementation than C1 of course).

Blizzard

Banned
schennmu said:
I don't remember not being able to break a tree.

Also Battlefield Bad Company 1 has the feature on consoles (worse implementation than C1 of course).
Well I think the building destruction thing is true, but I may be totally wrong about trees. Installing Crysis 1 to check in the next day or two. This is probably the 3rd or 4th installation so hopefully I don't run into any grief soon with the install limit SecuROM DRM. Stallion had a good experience that suggested it may have been lifted though, so who knows.

n0b

Blizzard said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but in some of the forest areas in Crysis 1 where you can sneak through lots of big trees, those trees cannot be destroyed, right? And as far as I know, only certain buildings/props could be destroyed, too.

Only palm trees and other similarly thin, tall trees could be destroyed, and only the tin/wood houses could be destroyed.

Nothing wide or particularly leafy, and no concrete or steel could be destroyed.

modulaire

schennmu said:
Hahaha. You can't even break the rare tree in Crysis 2. Maybe DX11 will do some crazy magic, but I'm not seeing it so far. Crysis didn't abandon the jungle because they forgot about it. They did because they had to. Not doubting that CE3 is capable of more in theory.

You can break trees. There are enough videos that proof it.

schennmu said:

You can break trees in 2 and there's way more going on in a huge detailed city than a jungle that's largely empty and looks the same.

kitch9

Banned
felipepl said:
Really? Which game looks better than Crysis 1 maxed that isn't out yet?

There's nothing even close. The bit in Crysis where you leave the ice sphere and drive into the forest is still insane...

Ickman3400 said:
You can break trees in 2 and there's way more going on in a huge detailed city than a jungle that's largely empty and looks the same.

I can't think of any one area that looked like a copy paste job. you sure aren't trying to convince yourself?

evil solrac v3.0 said:
I can't think of any one area that looked like a copy paste job. you sure aren't trying to convince yourself?

What? It's a jungle, everything around you looks the same pretty much. I get that it's supposed to, but that doesn't mean I have to enjoy it.

Looking forward to the heavily detailed and diverse NYC being blown up. That alone makes it a more interesting game to me, I'm just trying not to look at too many videos.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Zen said:
Logical fallacy. ;)

No fallacy there, just switch the vital parts out - allow me to demonstrate :

To each his own. Some people might like the taste of feces, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say most people don't enjoy the taste of feces.

Ickman3400 said:
It may be a big deal that it's still hard to max out at a stable framerate but it doesn't really look all that amazing. I just played it less than a month ago, really not that big of a deal.
yeah, like your opinion.

aeolist

Banned
Big Ass Ramp said:
I'm hyped for this game, but I always get bummed out when I remember how much I hate shooting Crysis aliens.
They at least made them humanoid this time. I mainly hated the Crysis 1 aliens because of how hard they were to see and shoot.

markao

Truespeed said:
So you're saying the intro was all in engine?
Have not seen the intro, so I have no idea, trying as much as possible to not get spoilerd to much. ;)

But in general, a game that renders most in engine, you do not need that extra space . To be clear, I do not disagree that with additional space on a disc, there are options to get things (music/textures/assets/movies) in a higher quality, just not for the CGI/cutscenes in this game.

And no, you could not destroy every tree in Crysis, only the "smaller" ones.

CozMick

Banned
Wow, some of you guys really are fucking crazy.

Better looking than Sony's 1st party attempts, PC paving the way for 360, sub-hd is negligible.

I really can't tell anymore if people are being serious or taking the piss :/

Ickman3400 said:
What? It's a jungle, everything around you looks the same pretty much. I get that it's supposed to, but that doesn't mean I have to enjoy it.

Looking forward to the heavily detailed and diverse NYC being blown up. That alone makes it a more interesting game to me, I'm just trying not to look at too many videos.

again, you're wrong and trying to pass it off as fact. in Crysis you go from a shoreline to military installations to underground mines to alien ships to coastal military installations to inside buildings to farmland to ravines to waterfalls, dense Jungles, rivers, open fields, train depots, etc
. sounds like you didn't investigate enough. from what I've seen of part 2, they can't even get the look on New York down right.

nib95

Banned
Ickman3400 said:

Lol.

CozMick said:
Wow, some of you guys really are fucking crazy.

Better looking than Sony's 1st party attempts, PC paving the way for 360, sub-hd is negligible.

I really can't tell anymore if people are being serious or taking the piss :/

Don't forget Crysis 1 not being a big deal anymore ;)

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
evil solrac v3.0 said:
again, you're wrong and trying to pass it off as fact. in Crysis you go from a shoreline to military installations to underground mines to alien ships to coastal military installations to inside buildings to farmland to ravines to waterfalls, dense Jungles, rivers, open fields, train depots, etc
. sounds like you didn't investigate enough. from what I've seen of part 2, they can't even get the look on New York down right.
Yeah, it doesn't look anything like NY. I don't think realism is critical, but it's wrong to say that there's only jungle in Crysis. I mean, even "jungle" could describe lots of things.

evil solrac v3.0 said:
Yup. Imo it looks plasticy if that makes sense.

Blizzard said:
It's that darn Unreal Engine 3, it makes everything look plastic. ;p

Also, get online on Steam!
I am trying to avoid doing so since when. I am on I get tempted to buy Crysis 2, AssBrohood, Shogun 2, Dead Space 2. Trying to be good until Red Orchestra 2 :(

CozMick said:
Better looking than Sony's 1st party attempts
Based on the footage I've seen it's the most technically impressive game on either console. Why does it matter so much to you that people think a multi-platform game looks better than Sony exclusives? I guess that was more of a rhetorical question because the answer seems obvious, lol.

This type of debate was fun to argue back in like 2007, but the tech for both consoles is now half of a decade old. It's like arguing which last place football team was better in 2005; San Fran or Oakland (I'd go with Tim Rattay and the Niners).

Truespeed

ShdwDrake said:

Odd that the square button looks like a rectangle button.

vevoeg.png

Truespeed

belier said:
Is what happens when you resize a 4:3 image to 16:9...

That's what happens when you horizontally scale an image 20%. Did a quick check in photoshop and the horizontal line of the square is about 20% larger than the vertical line. Horizontal scaling FTL. I'd take black borders on the side over this.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
purple cobra said:
Thanks! More impressions for that version the better for me. I traded in Black Ops for credit over at Amazon (getting $32.25 for it) and depending on more impressions/reviews/face-offs I may bite on C2.

At this point I'm really interested in the SP. I'm not expecting much from the MP after the horrible demo (tech-wise).
I also have basically no interest in the multiplayer anyway but this seems like the kind of game I can replay a lot so I'll be sinking some serious time into SP.

belier

Truespeed said:
That's what happens when you horizontally scale an image 20%. Did a quick check in photoshop and the horizontal line of the square is about 20% larger than the vertical line. Horizontal scaling FTL. I'd take black borders on the side over this.

Exactly, the difference between 1024 and 1280 is a 20%...
360 image is also scaled horizontally, but only a 10%...

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Shearie said:
Wow! That's a really big difference between the two. It's like the PS3 version is in a whole different language or something. Crytek really fucked this one up!
Damn it, you beat me too it.

A little more blur on PS3 but nothing too bad. Framerate looked smooth on both.

After playing through Homefront, any game looks like a technical masterpiece to me. Screens look good. Lets hope the reviews start rolling in soon.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Shearie said:
Wow! That's a really big difference between the two. It's like the PS3 version is in a whole different language or something. Crytek really fucked this one up!
PS3:
con - only available in spanish

EDIT: CRYTEK PLEASE LET ME TURN OFF THE SUIT VOICE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD

jackdoe

Y2Kev said:
the suit talking in spanish, rofl

The games do look pretty close.
Honestly, I bet that outside of the resolution difference, both console versions have the same exact textures and effects. The resolution difference is an epic fail on CryTek's part after the PR speak they gave last year, but for most gamers, it's not that big of a deal (people were able to deal with 1024 x 720 resolution of Vanquish after all).

Also, do they honestly need to have a suit voice detailing objectives?

Top Bottom