• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
belvedere said:
This was supposedly due to the PS3 version upscaling to 1080p instead of running 720p native.

Honestly. I think they both look great. Crytek have done a magnificient job.

cyberheater said:
From the thread at beyond3D it's clear that the 360 version is slightly sharper and the textures on the PS3 version are a hair softer but really. They are virtually identical.

Certainly the closest I've seen a multiplatform game running. Which is good but why the bullshit stuff from Crytek devs stating that the PS3 was performing better then the 360 version. That's clearly not the case given that the 360 version runs smoother and has a higher framerate.

Anyway. It looks fantastic.

I agree with you, the only difference seems to be the resolution. I think textures, lighting, everything else is identical. "sharper" textures on the 360 are a result of the slightly higher resolution, "crisper" lighting seems to result from the same...

I agree the game looks great, but if the ps3 version really is as blurry as the youtube videos suggest, the amazing detail and set pieces are held back by the clarity...

felipepl said:
I'm really starting to think that the launch of the GTX 590 has something to do about it.
There's just no other explanation... if the SDK is already done (and it obviously is) it should support DX11 already.

I really think that there's something related to how the 6990 could destroy the GTX 580 without a proper nVidia card for comparisons.
That's an interesting theory. Could be right. Nvidia probably threw a bunch of cash their way too

Gvaz

Banned
belvedere said:
This was supposedly due to the PS3 version upscaling to 1080p instead of running 720p native.
I suppose so, but those images are in 720. I'm going to assume that's source.

Also the ps3 one has a bit of a blur filter on it. That's kind of what the PC version looked like before the whole .bat file thing.

The ps3 one also has higher res textures and AF, which imo is 1000000000000000 times more important than it looking "crisper" or running at 1080 natively.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
It's good to hear they're removing aim assist from multiplayer on PC. That's just a moronic idea that should have never even been considered.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
nelsonroyale said:
...I agree the game looks great, but if the ps3 version really is as blurry as the youtube videos suggest, the amazing detail and set pieces are held back by the clarity...

I really don't think the PS3 is going to be, in reality, any blurrier then the 360 version.

seeds19

Banned
Sethos said:
PS3 version looks horrible :S

Gorilla_walks_off.gif

Gvaz

Banned
crysis2demo.exe_2011-0j8hh.jpg

I hope a mod comes in and decreases the size of the weapons, cause this shit's absurd.

Want a higher FOV (90) than the default (55 iirc)?

Okay!

crysis2demo.exe_2011-0r84t.jpg

Holy fuck this shit.

cyberheater

Gvaz said:
The ps3 one also has higher res textures and AF, which imo is 1000000000000000 times more important than it looking "crisper" or running at 1080 natively.

I think the PS3 version has better AF for sure but higher resolution textures. Er... No. It wouldn't surprise me if they are exactly the same for both console versions.

Gvaz

Banned
cyberheater said:
I think the PS3 version has better AF for sure but higher resolution textures. Er... No. It wouldn't surprise me if they are exactly the same for both console versions.

That link earlier in the thread showing between 360 and PS3 doesn't seem to want to load half the time, but one of the images showing texture work on characters was a big difference. There was one with a dude's armpatch, where on the PS3 it was clear, and the 360 it looked like crap.

Gvaz

Banned
TUROK said:
crysis2360-4spo0.gif

Textures are identical.

Hrm... The one I remember seeing was just the armband and it looked like there was more of a difference than that...

That's pretty much the same though.

aegies

The PS3 version is missing lighting effects from my impressions with the retail disc. There are things that are lit on 360 that aren't on PS3. There are other differences as well. Texture wise, things look the same.

cyberheater

Gvaz said:
That link earlier in the thread showing between 360 and PS3 doesn't seem to want to load half the time, but one of the images showing texture work on characters was a big difference. There was one with a dude's armpatch, where on the PS3 it was clear, and the 360 it looked like crap.

Oh right. I think the guys on the Beyond3D thought that was caused by a LOD issue rather then a texture resolution issue. I've seen the higher rez pics of the same scene and if anything, the 360 version looked slightly better.

360 Version

Crysis2360-4.jpg

PS3 Version

PS3Crysis22.jpg

Once again the PS3 version looks a tad softer.

TUROK

AllIsOneIsNone said:
Might be time to take another trip to the optometrist. I see crisp, slightly less crisp, crisp, slightly less crisp.
The texture resolutions are exactly the same. The display resolutions are not.

GTFO with your condescending bullshit.

Gvaz

Banned
AllIsOneIsNone said:
Might be time to take another trip to the optometrist. I see crisp, slightly less crisp, crisp, slightly less crisp.
That's only because of the filter, not because of anything else. There's like a blur overlay.

cyberheater

AllIsOneIsNone said:

The slightly less crisp version is the PS3 version. But really, when you're sitting back on your couch, are you going to notice any difference. Absolutely not.

JoeBoy101

Heavy said:

PC-specific graphic features
- Features such as DX11 aren't generally featured in console ports because the consoles don't support them. Crysis 2 will feature DX11.

Well its good to know that Crytek is launching their game for the PC with one of its features... Absent. Gone. Missing. Incomplete. Non-present. Ethereal. Omitted. Misplaced. Mislaid.

Now, say if Crytek did something crazy and announced when a DX11 patch would be release, that would be encouraging.

NullPointer said:
So I know all the talk here is on the graphics, but does anybody have any idea on how it plays?

Is this just another COD clone? ie. linear and set-piece driven, or it more open ended? (relative to console shooters, I know Crysis 1 was extremely open).

Based on videos and initial impressions, say somewhere in the middle, leaning to more linear, but still with some open maps comparatively.

So I know all the talk here is on the graphics, but does anybody have any idea on how it plays?

Is this just another COD clone? ie. linear and set-piece driven, or it more open ended? (relative to console shooters, I know Crysis 1 was extremely open).

cyberheater

Gvaz said:
That's only because of the filter, not because of anything else. There's like a blur overlay.

Yeah. I think you're right. The difference could definitely for by the motion blur filter at that particular frame.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
JoeBoy101 said:
Well its good to know that Crytek is launching their game for the PC with one of its features... Absent. Gone. Missing. Incomplete. Non-present. Ethereal. Omitted. Misplaced. Mislaid.

Now, say if Crytek did something crazy and announced when a DX11 patch would be release, that would be encouraging.

When/if the console versions sell a couple of mill' then we might get some info about a dx11 patch :[

NullPointer said:

I second this question. I love Crysis 1 and Warhead even though they don't look fantastic on my outdated rig, I'm just curious if Crysis 2 carries forward and/or improves on the same style of gameplay.

strata8

JB1981 said:
I played ps3/360 mp and the ps3 looked noticeably blurrier in motion.
Both retail versions have better IQ than the MP demos.

MrCompletely said:
I second this question. I love Crysis 1 and Warhead even though they don't look fantastic on my outdated rig, I'm just curious if Crysis 2 carries forward and/or improves on the same style of gameplay.
I't's both, from what I can see, eg:
Yea they are definitely bigger,considerably.Game structure is made that way that in every new mission/chapter you get the info/story to what to do,its completely linear and you go through that.It is not long though,it depends on mission.

When they are finished talking you generally find yourself going to marked point,through streets you find yourself in quite big battlegrounds doing what ever the hell you want.Vertical gameplay is great as there is alot of buildings,passages,trucks,random objects that you can climb on and use tactical advantage and thinking how you are going to play.Its full of variety and its a game with lots of re-playability,

Well, one of the XBox 360 images, according to my trained eye, seems to have an extra 2 pixels (usually in the upper right hand corner, they're there, trust me) and is crispy like a kettel cooked potato chip. The motion blur seems to be .0000000586% better in the PS3 version and moves with the grace of a Raccoon (not to mention an absolutely bangin' texture resolution and lighting that would make the Heaven's weep with jealously). The PC version, in its natural habitat, seems to eat mangos by the dozen. Its thrist for good mangos is a never-ending one it seems from the HD-videos Ive seen.

Seriously, the PS3, 360 and PC versions, more or less, look pretty damn good. Lol

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
For ps3 owners, does this game looks better than killzone3?

Chrange

Banned
RoboPlato said:
I'm thinking that it's an issue with texture loading. The textures loaded slowly in the 360 demo and since the PS3 version had a mandatory install, it may be less prone to that issue. If I'm right then installing it on 360 should help.

I kind of wonder why LoT refuses to do comparisons with an install to the HDD, even in games where the PS3 version has a mandatory install. Even having it as an additional comparison would make more sense than simply pretending it doesn't exist.

JB1981

NotTarts said:
Both retail versions have better IQ than the MP demos.

I't's both, from what I can see, eg:

Pretty sure the PS3 demo was submission code. The SP might look better but I highly doubt MP will see any improvements.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
dgenx said:
For ps3 owners, does this game looks better than killzone3?
Going PC here, but I think Crysis 2 (on any platform) stands up very well against Killzone 3 and, in many ways, exceeds it. It's a close call as KZ3 is very impressive, but Crysis 2 has a larger scale and sticks with realtime cutscenes all the way through (at least I believe so).

I will say that, I still think Killzone 2 stacks up against both of them and looks a bit nicer than KZ3 in some specific ways.

On the PC at 60 fps, Crysis 2 is likely to be one of the best looking games on any platform.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Chrange said:
I kind of wonder why LoT refuses to do comparisons with an install to the HDD, even in games where the PS3 version has a mandatory install. Even having it as an additional comparison would make more sense than simply pretending it doesn't exist.

I think they rather do the comparison just out of the box. I mean the 360 install is optional while to play the ps3 game you need to install to play. They go through it as if you just got the game and put it in the system and start and give no advantages to the other system so they can be fair and not give one the advantage or something.

Man

JB1981 said:
Pretty sure the PS3 demo was submission code. The SP might look better but I highly doubt MP will see any improvements.
People have ridiculous high hopes for the SP portion to transcend technically for some reason.
I think this will be a really fun game but what you saw in the MP demo is what you will get more or less.

Rengoku

dark10x said:
Going PC here, but I think Crysis 2 (on any platform) stands up very well against Killzone 3 and, in many ways, exceeds it. It's a close call as KZ3 is very impressive, but Crysis 2 has a larger scale and sticks with realtime cutscenes all the way through (at least I believe so).

I will say that, I still think Killzone 2 stacks up against both of them and looks a bit nicer than KZ3 in some specific ways.

On the PC at 60 fps, Crysis 2 is likely to be one of the best looking games on any platform.

So about those realtime cutscenes, I know KZ3 used pre-rendered to cover up their ingame load times, do we know what the load times are like for Crysis 2?

Top Bottom