• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

Nekrono

Heavy said:
When was the last time you played vanilla Crysis 1, without any lighting/texture mods? I just played through it again over the past month in anticipation for C2. Anyway, back to playing. I'm coming off as a filthy fanboy.

I've played it two months ago and yeah CryEngine 2 still holds out to todays standards and Crysis 2 if not beyond, plus all the stuff people have achieved with the editor, even that lighting effect people brag about Crysis 2, actually that guy who did it for the original had it best since it wasn't so overdone like Crysis 2 lol.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Nekrono said:
it is indeed true
Except it's true among all platforms rather than just console players. It's also a cop out to fault console players for buying COD which is a few hours short when the focus of the game is obviously the multiplayer. PC gamers buy games without any meaningful single player at all, such as the Battlefield series, which incidentally made a killing on "booster packs" and paying for ranked servers. Microtransactions and subscriptions originate on PC as well, as consoles weren't even online capable until recently.

This game has some weird glitches. I've seen a guard die standing in place, another guy on patrol walk right off a ledge and fall to his death, and several times I've had enemies literally spawn right in front of me out of thin air.

Heavy said:
No I totally agree with you. It would've looked out of this world if it was PC exclusive, but they are a business. Blowing another $20-30 million on an exclusive like that to cater to a very small audience like the HOCP type, while leaving all that money on the table with the console versions just wouldn't have been a smart idea.

There was no reason they couldnt have both. Was the first game too complicated for console gamers? If that wasnt the problem then make a similar game with all the bells and whistles (and similar level size) then make all the cuts to the graphics you need to make it work at 30fps on consoles. Whats wrong with that?

Nekrono

I <3 Memes said:
There was no reason they couldnt have both. Was the first game too complicated for console gamers? If that wasnt the problem then make a similar game with all the bells and whistles (and similar level size) then make all the cuts to the graphics you need to make it work at 30fps on consoles. Whats wrong with that?

I've asked the same thing so many times now
:(

Blizzard

Banned
I <3 Memes said:
Just curious since I was wondering this myself...what changes would you want from Crysis 1 / Warhead in your ideal sequel? Would you have new powers or adjustments or weapons, or would you literally want the exact same controls and weapons, but new maps?

Also, to have similar level size, what environment would you want as opposed to the jungle/beach theme of the earlier games?

MisterAnderson said:
The netcode for multiplayer is complete shit compared to the beta... and there aren't even half as many people playing. Hitboxes are all fucked up and the host advantage is crazy. (PC)
So does that mean entering the serial key lowercase worked? Or is your issue something that only happens some of the time?

StevieP

Banned
Alextended said:
Except it's true among all platforms rather than just console players. It's also a cop out to fault console players for buying COD which is a few hours short when the focus of the game is obviously the multiplayer. PC gamers buy games without any meaingful single player at all, such as the Battlefield series. Which incidentally made a killing on "booster packs" too. Microtransactions originate on PC as well.

I don't recall ever paying for maps on PC. In fact, I was one of the people who purchased COD4 on PC. It's sooo much better than on consoles, if only for the simple reason that there are no map packs needed to purchase. Why? Because its dedicated servers support custom maps.

I played through MW2, Black Ops, Resident Evil 4 and even Star Wars maps on CoD4, because people took the time to create them. You know, open platform.

I then went and bought (the extremely consolized) MW2 for PC. No dedicated servers, DLC map packs. What a mistake that was. It plays like shit in MP, and has everything that makes this generation poor. I wish I'd read reviews or something before I bought it, because I was expecting the same type of support as CoD4 (its predecessor) and it ended up a complete waste of money.

These weren't standards on PC - very few would support them if they were.

Alextended said:
Except it's true among all platforms rather than just console players. It's also a cop out to fault console players for buying COD which is a few hours short when the focus of the game is obviously the multiplayer. PC gamers buy games without any meaingful single player at all, such as the Battlefield series. Which incidentally made a killing on "booster packs" and paying for ranked servers. Microtransactions and subscriptions originate on PC as well, as consoles weren't even online capable until recently.
indeed. wtf does this have to do with consoles?

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Dyno said:
I'm playing on PS3 and so far it's been excellent. I have no complaints and everything is running nicely.

This is a great game and it really does its own thing in the shooter genre. The wide open space plus the character's movement abilities give it a unique feel. Plus the city is beautiful in some places.

The overall excellent of the game makes this OT thread one of the biggest backfires ever.

You're coming off as the kind of person who would never say otherwise, even if proven wrong.
I don't understand this logic. My problem with the PS3 version is that they tried to push it too far and everything looks gimped. The framerate, textures, resolution and on and on and on make it look worse to me than just about every other game out there. It doesn't matter how many bells and whistles they throw at you if they fail at pulling them off. This is nowhere near Uncharted levels and I've even said some parts of CoD look better than Crysis 2. They tried to put a PC game on consoles and a console game on PC and they pretty much failed on all versions imo. Although the PC version is the best, it's still not as good as the first two.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So I am a bit confused. I did not play Crysis 1, but read the story, and what happened to your main character in Crysis 1? I thought 2 was going to have you play as him again.

Also, in multiplayer it shows like 24 weapons, but only 12 show up when making a class. When do the others show up?

Nekrono

Deadly Cyclone said:
So I am a bit confused. I did not play Crysis 1, but read the story, and what happened to your main character in Crysis 1? I thought 2 was going to have you play as him again.

Crytek's awesome decision taking happened and decided to forget about him and create this new character with a retarded name.

Fuck I want Nomad back :(

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Deadly Cyclone said:

Also, in multiplayer it shows like 24 weapons, but only 12 show up when making a class. When do the others show up?
In Crysis 1 was left as a cliff hanger and they never wrapped up what happened. They showed you flying away and Prophet went back to the island to face the aliens. They never said what happened to Nomad and Psycho.

Blizzard said:
Just curious since I was wondering this myself...what changes would you want from Crysis 1 / Warhead in your ideal sequel? Would you have new powers or adjustments or weapons, or would you literally want the exact same controls and weapons, but new maps?

Also, to have similar level size, what environment would you want as opposed to the jungle/beach theme of the earlier games?

All alien enemies. Revamped in design is fine with me. After all they were gathering human technology in Crysis 1 in order to better understand us and our capabilities. Humans fighting humans in the midst of an alien invasion will always be moronic.

I'm fine with the city setting as well. It just looks so damn small. And it is not because of the city setting. I dont see any way that a city uses more resources to render than a tropical beach full of vegetation. If vegetation was so easy to do than every game wouldn't have struggled with it for so long.

So in short, I would have been fine with the game as is if they wouldnt have made the levels so tiny and retconned in the dumb Cell stuff just to make sure there were human enemies to fight.

Alextended said:
Except it's true among all platforms rather than just console players. It's also a cop out to fault console players for buying COD which is a few hours short when the focus of the game is obviously the multiplayer. PC gamers buy games without any meaingful single player at all, such as the Battlefield series. Which incidentally made a killing on "booster packs" and paying for ranked servers. Microtransactions and subscriptions originate on PC as well, as consoles weren't even online capable until recently.

Very true. The arguments are getting ridiculous already coming from people with some over developed sense of entitlement who are fail to look at the bigger picture. MMO's have plenty of microtransactions. Maybe subscribers should stop buying content and see if they get it for free.

Complaining about the campaign length is ridiculous as well. Game have very large budgets and they need to allocated properly when it comes to single-player and multi-player portions. Games with larger 12+ hour single-player campaigns usually have a less robust multiplayer like Bioshock, and games with shorter campaigns make way for having strong multiplayer.

Nekrono

MadOdorMachine said:
In Crysis 1 was left as a cliff hanger and they never wrapped up what happened. They showed you flying away and Prophet went back to the island to face the aliens. They never said what happened to Nomad and Psycho.

And that's when Crysis 2 should have stepped up and continue the story, imo a prologue in the jungle telling what happened to those guys and then moving onto the city with the invasion, etc.

But instead we got fucking Alcatraz :(

M.W.

MadOdorMachine said:
I don't understand this logic. My problem with the PS3 version is that they tried to push it too far and everything looks gimped. The framerate, textures, resolution and on and on and on make it look worse to me than just about every other game out there. It doesn't matter how many bells and whistles they throw at you if they fail at pulling them off. This is nowhere near Uncharted levels and I've even said some parts of CoD look better than Crysis 2. They tried to put a PC game on consoles and a console game on PC and they pretty much failed on all versions imo. Although the PC version is the best, it's still not as good as the first two.
They failed? LOL.

MadOdorMachine said:

The PS3 version definitely doesn't look as good as it should. The framerate takes a big hit every time explosions go off and the lower resolution makes certain objects blurry.

aeolist

Banned
Blizzard said:

I still haven't played C2 so I can't say for sure but it looks like most of the changes they made outside of level design look good (suit control changes, added abilities like sliding/ledge grab, upgrades).

As for level design they should have had more of the good from C1/Warhead (large open base assaults) but with more options (more vehicles mainly, I'd have loved a chopper in C1) and varied areas (in a city is fine if you have several open blocks and buildings).

Sh1ner

So Alcatraz is a completely new character and notca continuation of the one from crysis 1? I assume there is a good reason for this and not a Dev fuck up since there are so many names to choose from ...

JoeBoy101

Sh1ner said:
So Alcatraz is a completely new character and notca continuation of the one from crysis 1? I assume there is a good reason for this and not a Dev fuck up since there are so many names to choose from ...

If there is a good reason I haven't hit it yet in my gameplay. He's just a random Marine who got gifted the suit by
Prophet
. Apparently, that is the only link to the first game. That and the aliens.

Stitch

Gold Member
JoeBoy101 said:
If there is a good reason I haven't hit it yet in my gameplay. He's just a random Marine who got gifted the suit by
Prophet
. Apparently, that is the only link to the first game. That and the aliens.
and the aliens in crysis 2 look like completely different aliens...

I am Ceramicsteve on Steam feel free to gift me this game..... I honestly conflicted about this game, Chris Remo and Shawn Elliot are saying the game is good, evil lore is saying it's a fps corridor shooter. The Giantbomb quicklook didn't exactly impress me, since i liked Crysis 1 because you could do what ever you want to get from point A to point B, now it looks like they are holding your hand through the binoculars.

aeolist

Banned
Technosteve said:
I am Ceramicsteve on Steam feel free to gift me this game..... I honestly conflicted about this game, Chris Remo and Shawn Elliot are saying the game is good, evil lore is saying it's a fps corridor shooter. The Giantbomb quicklook didn't exactly impress me, since i liked Crysis 1 because you could do what ever you want to get from point A to point B, now it looks like they are holding your hand through the binoculars.
It can still be a good game (and looks like it is) while not being what anyone who played Crysis 1 expected. I certainly didn't think it would be this constrained.

That's the main reason I'm going to wait for a sale.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Nekrono said:
And that's when Crysis 2 should have stepped up and continue the story, imo a prologue in the jungle telling what happened to those guys and then moving onto the city with the invasion, etc.

But instead we got fucking Alcatraz :(
They could make another spin off like Warhead.

Marcellus Wallace said:
They failed? LOL.
I think they failed. I guess to some people it looks good, but to me it doesn't. I guess the best way I can explain is this. In Crysis 2 they throw a lot of tech at you to wow you but almost all of it is done in a non optimum way. In other words, the resolution is lower, the framerate is bad, there's constant low-rez texture pop-up, there's triangle and jaggies on water and shadows, etc. etc. Some people may think this looks good, but to me, they failed. It certainly doesn't look as good as something like Uncharted or Killzone and in many ways, CoD did a better job at optimizing what could be done on consoles.

The thing is, Crysis isn't a game that you rush through like CoD where everything is linear and frantic. Crysis is a game where you camp out, pick the most effective way to tackle a situation and breath in the atmosphere and tech they put into the game. In the first Crysis I would literally stop and look at waterfalls. In the opening level of Crysis 2 I saw triangles on the water falls. Who wants to look at that? They failed imo although I can see why some people who haven't played the original might be impressed.

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
The PS3 version definitely doesn't look as good as it should. The framerate takes a big hit every time explosions go off and the lower resolution makes certain objects blurry.
Exacty.

Patrick Bateman said:
Could a patch solve the problems of the PS3-version?

I doubt it. They already released a patch for it actually.

Seriously, blaring audio in between games is retarded. They need to fix that.

And what happened to my awesome music in between matches. It's the retarded song, not the song that starts out kind of creepy sounding like fog horns crying - that song gets me pumped.

And since when did they hire Hans Zimmer to do the music? I wish they had just stuck with the old guy, the music was banging in the beta and I was confident in his talent. Zimmer just comes in and makes it sound like every other game he's touched.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Has the issue of those pre-order bonuses on the Steam version not popping up been solved yet? I walked away from my pc yesterday and missed any updates (and with our extremely lackluster OP, I don't really feel like venturing through all those pages to find the info).

Stitch said:
and the aliens in crysis 2 look like completely different aliens...
They do and they don't. They are still semi-transparent semi-shapeless things. The primary difference is the exoskeletons their bodies are crammed into.

scitek

Heavy said:
Holy shit: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1595150&page=15

It's like another world over there.

I hope everyone here will never mention the PC gamers at GAF being elitist, smarmy, bitter, etc., because after reading the last few pages of that thread we're angels in comparison.

Well, great games just speak for themselves. Despite our disappointments, the gameplay is still pretty damn good in Crysis 2, so it's hard to hate on it because that's ultimately what matters. Of course, not everyone will like it, but ya know, can't please everyone any of the time.

EviLore said:
Graphics are nice enough, but I'm kind of indifferent to what's on screen, as opposed to Crysis 1 which still wows me.

Well, for being DX9...

Blizzard said:
So does that mean entering the serial key lowercase worked? Or is your issue something that only happens some of the time?

I had to do a weird combination of shit that I'm not sure what actually worked. Variations of things like running it as administrator, and in the login screen like retyping my login information and rechecking "remember me" after modifying my serial key.

Just had a 17-3 run in multiplayer...and it doesn't fucking update my stats (stuck at like...3 kills 4 deaths in total. Won't change/update). Really annoying.

AEREC

Loving the multiplayer so far on the PC. I thought the cloaking woudl get annoying online but it hasnt been too bad. I love being able to spot a fully cloaked player and still being abel to take them out.

Though the down side is I think everything that moves on the map is a cloaked player.

JoeBoy101

The Nature Roy said:
They do and they don't. They are still semi-transparent semi-shapeless things. The primary difference is the exoskeletons their bodies are crammed into.

They're pretty much completely different. Though in all honesty, as I said a page or so back, I like the newer aliens. So I don't mind as much.

Boonoo

Blizzard said:
Same basic abilities (buffed speed and strength), new maps with more vertical elements--craggy mountains, canyons, a more rugged land scape if you will, all human enemies with beefier AI, new weapons that allow for varied encounters, same controls, better destructibility.

I'll probably pick up 2 during a sale because while it seems to lack the openness of the first one of my favorite aspects was that I actually felt like I was controlling a super soldier. Not many games capture that feeling, and even without the whole package 2 appears to cover that.

EviLore said:
Played a couple hours (post-human supersoldier difficulty). Lukewarm towards it so far. There is definitely not much of a playground here; it feels like it uses the typical console-centric cinematic hallway shooter as its starting point rather than Crysis 1 as its starting point. So I feel like I'm going through the motions, checkpoint to checkpoint, accomplishing nothing, with the objective being pushed away yet again every time I get to where I was supposed to be going.

The silent protagonist angle makes absolutely no sense.

At one point I got into a CELL vehicle, shocked that I'd even be able to get into a vehicle in this game, and then wasn't able to drive more than ten feet before I hit impassable 6 inch high barricades on all sides. That about sums that up.

Graphics are nice enough, but I'm kind of indifferent to what's on screen, as opposed to Crysis 1 which still wows me.

It would disappoint me less if it was a bad, if experimental, game. That's my biggest issue here: the decline of major triple A titles into repetitive, unambitious, piss-dribbling mediocrity.

How are the graphics? OK!
How is the gameplay? OK!
How is the story? OK!
How is the multiplayer? OK!

This isn't a game where I should be using the word OK. I've seen and done everything in it a thousand times before in other so-called cinematic shooters in this generation. Crytek's games used to WOW me, but alas, that era seems to be at an end.

So it looks like I'm going to like this game since the hardcore pc people apparently don't. Sucks I have to wait a little longer to play it, but that's what I get for getting this after arranging a deal instead of using my money.

So any real analysis/high res pics yet on the differences between graphic modes? Been scouring google and I can't really find any

Trying to decide if I want Very High (mostly 60fps) or Extreme (30-50fps).

aeolist

Banned
Ickman3400 said:
So it looks like I'm going to like this game since the hardcore pc people apparently don't. Sucks I have to wait a little longer to play it, but that's what I get for getting this after arranging a deal instead of using my money.
Is it hard to understand that people are disappointed because of the differences between this game and Crytek's past releases? That it is definitely smaller and more limited and that's something people who liked the first game don't want?

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
This game has some weird glitches. I've seen a guard die standing in place, another guy on patrol walk right off a ledge and fall to his death, and several times I've had enemies literally spawn right in front of me out of thin air.

Yea I had enemy just dissapear that was running right at me once. Also once a guy just walked off a ledge but kept walking on air like nothing and crossed to another part of the level. Couple times I would have an enemy jump behind some cover and they dissapear or something because I can't find them when I go around looking for them.

commedieu

Banned
I think the main problem with c2 is crytek. Think about if all the hype didn't precede the game. I think expectations would be a bit more realistic, and it would have been better received by all. Also if they came out with how they were going to optimize the game for PC's to make a more enjoyable experience for a larger PC crowd vs the heavy duty end user would have also eased the pain. Its just all so sneaky, and a bit disappointing for the people (pc) that supported them with their money, and now are being slightly under appreciated with the lack of support from them in regards to pc tech/game experience. Its a bit silly to throw the PC owners under the bus for the console guys, completely.

I think they delivered a better engine than the unreal engine, but the production values are really what puts it over the top, and I doubt many developers would commit to the quality level that crytek delivered, and if you don't do that, why bother using their engine?

I ju...s.. f...ee...l.. th...

4lsf1v.gif

:eek:

aeolist said:
Is it hard to understand that people are disappointed because of the differences between this game and Crytek's past releases? That it is definitely smaller and more limited and that's something people who liked the first game don't want?

I didn't like the first game. At all. That's more along the lines of what I meant to say, since those people do love the first game and don't like this because it's different (and on consoles).

Maybe I'll end up not liking it too, who knows?

Top Bottom