• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

Sibylus

Banned
Mr_Brit said:
WTH the protagonist is mute??!!! Can someone with the game confirm this?

*sigh* When will devs learn? Silent protagonists are always a bad idea.
Not all games need be the same. When will you learn? :p

Well I am going to stop at a friends today to play this for awhile and come back with my impressions. This is going to be the 360 version and unfortunately he has already played through what he assumes is the first third of the game.

I made many bold prediction about what would happen to Crysis 2 as soon as it was announced for consoles and today is the day where I am guessing I will be proven right.

Dyno

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
So anyone with comments on the PS3 version. I have a 360 also, but I dont play enough MP to justify Live, but I do like playing some MP. However SP is the main draw for me, so if 360 is really better than the PS3 I'll get that.

I'm playing on PS3 and so far it's been excellent. I have no complaints and everything is running nicely.

This is a great game and it really does its own thing in the shooter genre. The wide open space plus the character's movement abilities give it a unique feel. Plus the city is beautiful in some places.

The overall excellent of the game makes this OT thread one of the biggest backfires ever.

I <3 Memes said:
I made many bold prediction about what would happen to Crysis 2 as soon as it was announced for consoles and today is the day where I am guessing I will be proven right.

You're coming off as the kind of person who would never say otherwise, even if proven wrong.

Mr_Brit said:
WTH the protagonist is mute??!!! Can someone with the game confirm this?

*sigh* When will devs learn? Silent protagonists are always a bad idea. That includes the half life games where even though a silent Gordon isn't amazingly bad, the game would still be substantially improved with a voiced Gordon.

I happen to like mute protagonists. Especially in FPS games.

I <3 Memes said:
Well I am going to stop at a friends today to play this for awhile and come back with my impressions. This is going to be the 360 version and unfortunately he has already played through what he assumes is the first third of the game.

what was that bold prediction?

Jesus, can you still just have fun with a game?

I <3 Memes said:

did you guess that it would play brilliantly and be one of the better FPS games released in the last few years?

is it as good as Crysis? probably not no (haven't beaten it yet, Crysis took a dive near the end but comparing the first few missions 1 is a fair distance ahead). is it closer to playing like Crysis than any other game released since it?

yeah. yeah it is.

Dyno

Always-honest said:
what was that bold prediction?

Jesus, can you still just have fun with a game?

He's going to his FRIENDS HOUSE, he will PLAY THE GAME, and then he will grace us with HIS IMPRESSIONS.

See? Even if I use caps that shit isn't worthy enough to post on the internet. I mean really, who fucking cares?

Marleyman

Banned
Geoff9920 said:
Yup, but some of the maps are small enough you may not have enough time to do it.

I haven't played any other map other than Wall Street but that map is condusive to using the spot assist. Just go cloak and pull up your visor and spot some guys.

WhiskeyKnight said:
I happen to like mute protagonists. Especially in FPS games.
i'm just pretending that for some reason Prophet had to cut out Alcatraz's tongue to fit him into the suit.

it's the only way the story makes sense. everyone thinks you're Prophet and hundreds of people are trying to kill you for that very reason, but you never go 'Hold on guys! I'm not Prophet! Look I haven't got space cooties!'.

mute protagonists can make sense, and can be done well, but it strains my disbelief that *this* protagonist is mute given everything going on... and it's espescially strange when the last game didn't have a mute protagonist.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
plagiarize said:
i'm just pretending that for some reason Prophet had to cut out Alcatraz's tongue to fit him into the suit.

it's the only way the story makes sense. everyone thinks you're Prophet and hundreds of people are trying to kill you for that very reason, but you never go 'Hold on guys! I'm not Prophet! Look I haven't got space cooties!'.

mute protagonists can make sense, and can be done well, but it strains my disbelief that *this* protagonist is mute given everything going on... and it's espescially strange when the last game didn't have a mute protagonist.
Alcatraz is basically dead so it doesn't surprise me that he can't really talk. It annoyed me until I found that out, then it kind of makes sense.

Marleyman

Banned
Dyno said:
He's going to his FRIENDS HOUSE, he will PLAY THE GAME, and then he will grace us with HIS IMPRESSIONS.

See? Even if I use caps that shit isn't worthy enough to post on the internet. I mean really, who fucking cares?

Exactly.

AzerPhire

Anyone else with the PC version (D2D version) still getting the Advanced, Gamer and Hardcore options for graphics? I had the demo still installed and have since removed it but that didn't make a difference. Might try an uninstall/reinstall later.

Also is there something special you have to do to get the system.cfg tweaks (From SA forums) to work? I tried the skip intro one and it did not take affect.

Weenerz

Banned
It's insane that people having problems with the PC version are still not getting support from Crytek, their forums feel deserted in the support section. Just acknowledgement would suffice.

Dyno said:

So why did you?

JoeBoy101 said:
Oh, thats one more thing. NO dedicated pistol slot! That's Bullshit! Gotta have a holdout slot. If you only have two main gun slots, who in their right mind is going with a pistol? That was a mistake on Crytek's part. Especially since there is more than one pistol in the game.

I enjoy stalking enemies with the silenced pistol in the campaign, I just wish they let you dual wield pistols like in Crysis 1 and Warhead

Dyno

Always-honest said:
So why did you?

I was trying it out, to give him the benefit of the doubt. I don't like making snap decisions about douchey people. I haven't made my mind up about you, for example.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Sethos said:
Anyone know of any trustworthy proxy apps. I can use to spoof my location as the US and play C2 now?

That would be good to know but I think you'll have to pay if you want to be able to download a decent amount. I hope I'm wrong.

Sethos

Banned
cyberheater said:
That would be good to know but I think you'll have to pay if you want to be able to download a decent amount. I hope I'm wrong.

Oh no, I already downloaded it, they have allowed us that much :p Just need to spoof my location for the unlock / start process and then I can turn it off again. Just need something that's trustworthy as my Steam info is being passed through, don't want no Nigerian dodgy google search crap.

Geoff9920

Marleyman said:
I haven't played any other map other than Wall Street but that map is condusive to using the spot assist. Just go cloak and pull up your visor and spot some guys.
My comment was from 1 of the maps I played last night. Don't remember the name, but it took place entirely in a nearly calapsed building and was almost perfect for shotguns. I don't know if the player counts are different from the console versions, but this was on PC.

samoset

Still haven't been able to get into multi-player because of the Serial in use message. Anyone know any workarounds or incoming fixes. I'd feel better if Crytek would at least acknowledge the problem.

Weenerz

Banned
samoset said:
Still haven't been able to get into multi-player because of the Serial in use message. Anyone know any workarounds or incoming fixes. I'd feel better if Crytek would at least acknowledge the problem.

All of the ones I've found do not work. Crytek hasn't been to their forums in the last day, or at least they haven't post in the support or PC sections.

Botolf said:
Not all games need be the same. When will you learn? :p

I don't know, but most FPS have a silent protagonist, and it is pretty annoying. It's also weird in this game with people constantly talking to you and you never attempt to communicate back, you just do whatever they tell you.

Mrbob

AzerPhire said:
Anyone else with the PC version (D2D version) still getting the Advanced, Gamer and Hardcore options for graphics? I had the demo still installed and have since removed it but that didn't make a difference. Might try an uninstall/reinstall later.

Also is there something special you have to do to get the system.cfg tweaks (From SA forums) to work? I tried the skip intro one and it did not take affect.

Restart Crysis 2. The game will auto patch to version 1.1.

Sethos

Banned
*Taps foot*

Gabe.png

.nimrod

Sethos said:
Oh no, I already downloaded it, they have allowed us that much :p Just need to spoof my location for the unlock / start process and then I can turn it off again. Just need something that's trustworthy as my Steam info is being passed through, don't want no Nigerian dodgy google search crap.
I tried hotspot shield to get a US ip adress, which usually works for things like hulu, but then the crysis 2 unlock date on steam suddently changed to the 25th instead of the 24th for me o_O

Blizzard

Banned
samoset said:
Enter the serial number in all lowercase. It's been mentioned a couple times and worked for at least one person after I mentioned it, but stuff like that gets buried in the thread unless it goes in the OP or something.

Zenith

Banned
BattleMonkey said:
I don't know, but most FPS have a silent protagonist, and it is pretty annoying. It's also weird in this game with people constantly talking to you and you never attempt to communicate back, you just do whatever they tell you.

Like in HL2 when Valve decided to make Alex fall in love with you despite the fact you've never had one conversation.

Well - I picked up the 360 version yesterday and played a bit before bed. I must say that I was pretty underwhelmed by the visuals - especially after seeing some of the gameplay videos (those were in lower res mind you). I only played for about half and was pretty much dog-tired so I'll be reserving judgement for sure. On the other hand, it's quite a bit of fun so far. I especially like the feeling of movement that they've captured here - particularly when jumping.

MedIC86

HardOCP sums up me feelings about this game pretty well:

We have played them all! Farcry, Crysis, and now Crysis 2. If you were relying on Crytek to stress your new AMD or NVIDIA GPUs, well, you will likely have to wait another 4 years, or never probably. Crysis 2 graphics suck. Yes the graphics suck and you all know why. Crytek sold us out for a bunch of pussy 360 gamers. Gameplay is about as exciting and motivating as pulling a scab off your dog's scrotum. Open gameplay? Yeah right. Challenging? Not in the least. Crysis 2 goes into the "Never Finished" game bin with Daikatana. Come to think of it, Daikatana had better multi-player.

I don't often gripe about game devs selling out, but Crytek sure did. Crytek is not about innovative gameplay and astounding graphics any more. Crytek is about ripping me off for $60. I think Crytek would have gotten better press if it had not of even released its water-downed and anemic PC version of this "game." I hope Cevat Yerli chokes on this giant flaccid floppy penis of a game, while he is pulling out his overstuffed-wallet. Yeah, I just said that, and I meant it.

At least my 10 year old son thinks it is awesome. Wish he would give me the $60 back. Crysis 2 will be a great buy....when it hits the $2.99 price point on Steam.

MedIC86

arena08 said:
That quote is full of bitter fanboy bullshit.

Well he does a have a point about the GFX, not shipping with DX11 is imo unforgiveable (esspecialy for the people who upgraded there pc for this game)

MedIC86 said:
HardOCP sums up me feelings about this game pretty well:
It's got to be satire. It sounds like something that belongs in the OP. No way that's real.

MedIC86 said:
Well he does a have a point about the GFX, not shipping with DX11 is imo unforgiveable (esspecialy for the people who upgraded there pc for this game)
The graphics are better than Crysis 1, even with DX0.000001 being used.

Sethos

Banned
MedIC86 said:

Actually, it isn't. Crytek didn't sign a DirectX 11 contract.

sTaTIx

plagiarize said:
did you guess that it would play brilliantly and be one of the better FPS games released in the last few years?

is it as good as Crysis? probably not no (haven't beaten it yet, Crysis took a dive near the end but comparing the first few missions 1 is a fair distance ahead). is it closer to playing like Crysis than any other game released since it?

yeah. yeah it is.
*Ahem* Far Cry 2.

JoeBoy101

Zenith said:
Like in HL2 when Valve decided to make Alex fall in love with you despite the fact you've never had one conversation.

Yeah, but you two have been in a ton of shit together. And besides, if you like HL2 and are not in love with Alex, even in a platonic manner, than something's wrong with you.

But the first part of Crysis 2 relies on a case of mistaken identity. And then when you finally meet up with a main character, they make a big deal of finding out you aren't who he thought you were (even pulls a gun on you). They even try to make a dramatic moment out of it, while I'm sitting there thinking, 'This guy has been radioing me and tracking me for the past three hours, but I couldn't open my mouth that entire time just to say, "Hey, BTW.
I'm not Prophet.
".' And that's giving the credit that I doubt the CELL would have cared either way.

Sethos said:
Actually, it isn't. Crytek didn't sign a DirectX 11 contract.

Nope, they've just been spouting off about 'supporting' DX11 for sometime now. Up to and including after the lame MP demo launched. This isn't a case of people developing outrageous expectations. Crytek made no bones about tying DX11 as a feature for their game. Jesus, last week, they were still calling it a feature.

Top Bottom