• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

Nizz

Wow, watching that LoT vid and the part where you scan the camp with the tactical visor both versions seemed neck and neck as far as framerate. PS3 dipped a bit more but the 360 version isn't exactly a butter smooth 30fps.

I saw both versions dip to under 20fps in some instances but not enough to keep me from getting the game. Both versions look pretty damn close to me.

Gvaz

Banned
MadOdorMachine said:
I want whatever you're smoking.
I'm basing my statement on the demo. putting it on gamer on the demo got me like 25fps @1920x1200 whereas the PS3 seems to be at least 30fps and doesn't look as blurry

kitch9

Banned
I <3 Memes said:
Dunia is a fantastic engine that as far as I can tell has gone completely unused since FC2 and Avatar. But just looking at how many games take on city settings with a minimum of vegetation and foliage it is clear how difficult it is to handle. I would guess that devs would also have a huge advantage in rendering only what is visible in a cityscape where you only see 2 sides of a building at a time compared to a forest or jungle where there is really no way to conserve resources by hiding sections that dont need to be rendered at the moment.

Even trees that cant be destroyed have to have physics applied. Leaves and branches moving in the wind. Trees sway when grenades or explosions go off near them. They would look kind of dead without the physics. They could have went the same route as Oblivion and only had the foliage sway within a certain radius of the player though. That is one of the things that was changed when you lowered the physics setting in Crysis. On maximum all of the vegetation that you could see would sway or could be destroyed (by that I mean only the trees that could normally be destroyed) no matter how far away.

The burning grass in FC2 was just a texture switch. The actual physics of the fire moving is as real as water lapping on a shore in a videogame. Done well it looks convincing and that is all that matters.

Dunia is a fantastic engine with the memory of a goldfish....

Nekrono

StuBurns said:
Looks like a pretty consistent two frame advantage on 360, although no screen tear on PS3 is certainly a plus.

Was it ever confirmed the PS3 version runs at lower res?

Not sure about that but I remember how Crytek said CryEngine 3 would use 6 core processors and how it would make a big difference, etc.

Obviously that's not the case in both PS3 and PC.

Gvaz

Banned
When I used those long command codes with a .bat file to turn off half the shit in the crysis 2 mp demo, the game ran a LOT better and around 45-60fps.

I've posted earlier pictures with the quality settings ITT

Best looking console game/game I have seen especially considering environment sizes. The lighting is spectacular.

The design reminds me a lot of Halo ODST but without the backtracking. I'd love to see this game on a high spec PC without the LOD pops and minor glitches.

As soon as your game takes place in an environment with hard surfaces and predefined geometry memory takes a massive hit. Terrain engines take up a pittance of disk space and render blazingly fast. No matter if this was designed for console or not the choice to move urban (for business and gameplay reasons) required a drastically cut back environment size. Streaming in assets as complicated as prop laden streets and buildings and doing asset juggling on this scale is far more difficult than a jungle or forest environment.

Games that have achieved a streaming urban world typically lose out in visual fidelity that would not hold up in first person view point. GTA IV is a pretty good example as is PGR4. That you can get a city environment to look as good as this in first person and manage an asset load is the best technical graphics achievement of the year.

Waaghals

Heavy said:
His point, though, was "why wasn't Crysis ported to consoles then"? And I replied with a game that's very comparable, minus the physics. My question is what aspects of Crysis couldn't be done seeing as how FC2 was on consoles?

Ah, I see. I think crysis' gameplay could easily been done on consoles, perhaps -as you say- minus the physics. I think that although crysis 1 could be recreated on consoles, the graphics would take a hit which would make the game a hard sell. FC2 gets around this by quickly purging things from memory once you no longer see them.

I think current-gen consoles can do anything, providing you are willing to make visual sacrifices. No one wants to do that though. This is why we have so many sub-HD games and so few 60fps games this gen.

Gvaz said:
I'm basing my statement on the demo. putting it on gamer on the demo got me like 25fps @1920x1200 whereas the PS3 seems to be at least 30fps and doesn't look as blurry
You have a great setup that would run the game well at 1080p on Extreme (probably average 30-40 FPS in the campaign), let alone the MP demo on Gamer. Something is wrong... no idea what it could be though. You should have just got the PC version. Maybe the demo was borked.

kitch9

Banned
mxgt said:
Wow, 20-22 fps in combat on PS3?

Horrible.

I played Crysis 1 through on the PC when it first came out at 20-30 fps as I refused to turn anything off and its the only game where I could play at that framerate as the motion blur is well done and it makes it not too bad.

People are saying its a PS3 is vsync locked and triple buffered so it should still feel fairly responsive, and the video looked smooth enough.

Saying that i wish Steam would unlock already, UK release date stinks....

Blizzard

Banned
TheOctagon said:
Sooo, it turns out, apparently, that the retail version has pretty much all of the first game's developer commands stripped out. There's a command console but barely any console commands. Fabulous.

I can see myself actually unlocking the game, leaving it untouched and downloading the beta at this rate.
As someone mentioned, try the .cfg file after verifying that you have the right .cfg file (i.e. try a simple FOV command or something and make sure it works).

Also, does g_EnableDevMenuOptions do anything by any chance? Might have to go in the .cfg file as well.

Finally, why are people calling it a beta? Was it actually verified to be a closed beta, or was it simply a pirated dev build?

Mr_Brit said:
smh... Can't believe there are people defending silent protagonists. Then again there seems to be a defence force for everything on GAF.
Silent protagonists I can grudgingly live with. The real question is whether you see your own legs when you look down.

I hate games where my super soldier is actually a free-floating, full-torso vaporous apparition.

-PXG-

NullPointer said:
Silent protagonists I can grudgingly live with. The real question is whether you see your own legs when you look down.

I hate games where my super soldier is actually a free-floating, full-torso vaporous apparition.

You can see your legs when you look down.

Warm Machine said:
Best looking console game/game I have seen especially considering environment sizes. The lighting is spectacular.

The design reminds me a lot of Halo ODST but without the backtracking. I'd love to see this game on a high spec PC without the LOD pops and minor glitches.

As soon as your game takes place in an environment with hard surfaces and predefined geometry memory takes a massive hit. Terrain engines take up a pittance of disk space and render blazingly fast. No matter if this was designed for console or not the choice to move urban (for business and gameplay reasons) required a drastically cut back environment size. Streaming in assets as complicated as prop laden streets and buildings and doing asset juggling on this scale is far more difficult than a jungle or forest environment.

Games that have achieved a streaming urban world typically lose out in visual fidelity that would not hold up in first person view point. GTA IV is a pretty good example as is PGR4. That you can get a city environment to look as good as this in first person and manage an asset load is the best technical graphics achievement of the year.
Can anyone with much more tech knowledge than my dumb ass refute the bolded or is he right, as I suspect?

Waaghals said:
Ah, I see. I think crysis' gameplay could easily been done on consoles, perhaps -as you say- minus the physics. I think that although crysis 1 could be recreated on consoles, the graphics would take a hit which would make the game a hard sell. FC2 gets around this by quickly purging things from memory once you no longer see them.

I think current-gen consoles can do anything, providing you are willing to make visual sacrifices. No one wants to do that though. This is why we have so many sub-HD games and so few 60fps games this gen.
Agreed... there's a fine line between how much of a sacrifice is acceptable.

scitek

NullPointer said:

Yes, you do.

Unfortunately, you can't see your reflection when standing on top of a car and looking into the shiny windshield. You can see the buildings and the environment, but not your character. Does any game do that in real-time yet?

MedIC86

Warm Machine said:

Do you have charts/test to back up this claim ? because i think it really depends on the engine and what it is optimized for. The original Doom 3 engine for example was way to heavy for outdoor enviroments.

When using nano vision in multiplayer, some players don't show up with a heat signature...is that a perk they are using or something or a glitch?

And as for silent protagonists, Nomad's dialog/deliver was always painful in Crysis 1, and I love how Gordon Freeman is handled in the Half Life series, but I honestly felt that it was extremely odd that Alcatraz just kept silent when half of the city is hunting him down because they think he's Prophet... might want to speak up and let someone know that's not the case.

Feindflug

nib95 said:
Ok, looking at the LoT analysis, I have to say the IQ looks disappointing on BOTH consoles. Lots of jaggies, not the sharpest IQ, weak textures in areas, poor texture filtering etc. To me it sort of seems like a less severe case of Halo 3. The loss of general IQ additions at the expense of an advanced lighting model. I would have said the sandbox nature of things also has an affect, then most people are saying it's more like an arena shooter, and add to that, every screen or video I've seen of the game pretty much confirms that. Nothing really that open about it. Not so far.

Annoying I have to wait to get my copy (UK).

:lol

Comparing Crysis 2 360 with Halo 3 is ridiculous - game has great IQ, very detailed textures and decent filtering...have you even played the 360 version? if not stop it because it seems that you simply trying too hard to downplay the game by spreading BS.

Game looks amazing on 360 and on par if not better than the best looking games on PS3, get over it and at least play the game before saying anything about it next time.

jackdoe

Does anyone know what kind of DRM Crysis 2 has? I was thinking of installing this on my other computer as well and wanted to find out whether there is an install limit or something akin to Dragon Age II.

heyf00L

Heavy said:
I'm not arguing that FC2 doesn't look as good as Crysis and that the textures and are worse and all that other stuff (duh), or that a console version of Crysis would look like shit in comparison to the PC version.

My response was to the question posed "why wasn't Crysis on consoles then?" And my answer was that I believe it could be done minus the advanced physics because Far Cry 2 is very similar in both the general gameplay and setting. Can you refute that?
http://trailers.gwn.com/movies/play.php/f/535/Crysis-Crytek_CEO_interview.html
Here. A Crytek guy explains why they didn't make it on PC (about 3/4 way in).
He says:
1) The engine was multiplatform, but they decided not to make Crysis multiplatform.
2) They wanted to prove that the PC was not "retracting" and can "kick ass".
3) The gameplay and the complexity is only possible on PC. A console version would have to be stepped back.
4) They played around with it on console, but they would have to compromise things like having such "big worlds".
5) They may go console in the future, but didn't want to be distracted in Crysis 1.

Then he talks about really wanting to push licensing the engine. They made this amazing engine with amazing development tools, but it's not getting many licensees. I think a big motivation for making Crysis 2 multiplatform was to show off what their engine can do.

MedIC86 said:
Do you have charts/test to back up this claim ? because i think it really depends on the engine and what it is optimized for. The original Doom 3 engine for example was way to heavy for outdoor enviroments.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heightmap

Heightmaps are widely used in terrain rendering software and modern video games. Heightmaps are an ideal way to store digital terrain elevations; compared to a regular polygonal mesh, they require substantially less memory for a given level of detail.
In the earliest games using software rendering, the elements often represented heights of columns of voxels rendered with ray casting. In most newer games, the elements represent the height coordinate of polygons in a mesh.

This is why games like Far Cry 2 with its massive environment size takes up hardly any space on a DVD. That and the assets that are in Far Cry 2 / Crysis / Two Worlds / Oblivion etc. are almost all instanced geometry. You load a version of it in once and they place thousands of them with no extra memory hit beyond the transform and rotation required to position them. Instances also render way faster than static geometry.

I know this because I have made games for a damn long time (15 years).

benzy

Feindflug said:
:lol

Comparing Crysis 2 360 with Halo 3 is ridiculous - game has great IQ, very detailed textures and decent filtering...have you even played the 360 version? if not stop it because it seems that you simply trying too hard to downplay the game by spreading BS.

Game looks amazing on 360 and on par if not better than the best looking games on PS3, get over it and at least play the game before saying anything about it next time.

This. I can't even tell the game is sub-hd playing the 360v on a 46".

Nibs must have missed the 360 framebuffer screens, cause the texture work and quality is on par if not better looking than the best looking games.

c2
http://www.abload.de/image.php?img=20110322234610742kq4.jpg
http://www.abload.de/image.php?img=2011032221554845imj0.jpg

kz3
http://i.imgur.com/IxD4z.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/P0QUg.jpg

well, I jumped in because I am hoping against hope that
A) the gameplay gets better and,
B) there is a DX11 patch, because the game needs help as far as texture work and character models, a little tessellation could go a long way.
I'm up to the second chapter after you fight the first alien.

the restrictions as a result of the game being made for consoles are painfully evident as far as limitations of where and when you go places. I agree with whoever said the game is corridor (empty) and small arena where you can approach a situation in different ways.
but, therein lies the problems. while the visor(which I use only for spotting enemies, otherwise it's lame and useless)
gives you all these "tactical" options to fight the enemies, due to the fact that the areas where you fight are so small and narrow you are usually confined in your freedom of movement. not like Crysis 1 at all. (at least early on) which to me is a big step back in gameplay.

the annoying restriction also of limiting the number of suit powers early on is another step back.
just gimme the powers and let me do my shit, don't hold my hand! I really do feel if this game didn't have the consoles holding it back we could have had a true open city. but, alas....
it's not all bad, enemies on veteran are competent fighters but with the stealth being a bit overpowered, it feels a bit too easy to just plow by them. this is playing on veteran mode? it's not that hard....

the graphics, hmmm..... they look bland. water effects are not as good as the first game. not at all. the lighting is fine but a bit too overbearing, way too much blooming, some stuff looks like it's emitting it's own light. very annoying. the explosions themselves look good, but then why aren't cars on fire like the first one?
texture work is bad in certain areas and I wasn't impressed with character models, they seem to lack the detail of the north Korean soldiers from part one.
I have a GTX 580 in SLI so frame rate is not a problem, although in the begining area it dropped to 50FPS on extreme mode without enemies in screen (no SLI profile I assume?)the lack of advanced options is a travesty, it really is. this is supposed to be a PC game, what exactly is the justification for that?

the IQ is very nice though. very clean and crisp.
as far as mouse controls go, they feel a tad floaty, just a tad. but
other than that I am happy with the controllers. suit shortcuts are a good idea brought over from part one although I prefer the wheel and keep finding myself going back to it.
the slide move is ok but sort of a gimmick when I'd rather have true speed(sprint doesn't cut it) although I did get a very nice kill against an enemy in the garage area.
what else to say? the protagonist is boring, the guys from part one had a personality or at least something to them that I could hang my hat on, to care about. I think I liked the story of part one better but it is very early on so of course I will hold back judgement.

overall, everything about the game is "OK" so far, but it didn't wow or blow me away like the first one. shame, real shame that. I can see though why a lot people who didn't play the first one like this one though. but I am hopeful that the later levels open up more though.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Heavy said:
I haven't played the console version but pretty much everyone else in the thread disagrees with your assessment that it "looks like crap on consoles", including virtually every reviewer.
Depends on what your version of crap is I suppose. The PC version fixes all the problems of the PS3 version, so that's the one I've been playing. I wish I had a way to take screenshots of the PS3 version for comparison. The opening sequence, the very first thing you see is a submarine taking water. In the PS3 version, I immediatly noticed polygonal clipping in the puddles of the water pouring into the room. It was glaringly obvious to the point you had to ask, why would they put that in there if it looked that bad. Next, you have the scene w/Prophet and the resolution was so low that you the bugs/dust/ or whatever environmental effects had jaggies on them. Once again, you have to ask why they would include the bugs if they looked that bad. They could have saved those resources and used it to make it perform better elsewhere. Then you have pools of blood on the floor that appear and dissapear right as you're looking at it. When you turn, you see buildings suddenenly pop-up. Shadows have jaggies on them and everything looks low-rez. It litterally looks like a last gen game to me with fancy lighting. I don't know why reviewers are looking over this. I don't see this in games like Uncharted, Killzone, Gears of War or even Call of Duty. I don't know why it's suddenly overlooked in Crysis 2.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
WhiskeyKnight said:
This thread needs more screens.
ttc5.jpg

joj1.jpg

1to5.jpg

ypqk.jpg

Finished the game last night. Took at good 10 hours at least. I would have started a new game immediately if it wasn't 3AM. :p

MedIC86

Warm Machine said:

This is why games like Far Cry 2 with its massive environment size takes up hardly any space on a DVD. That and the assets that are in Far Cry 2 / Crysis / Two Worlds / Oblivion etc. are almost all instanced geometry. You load a version of it in once and they place thousands of them with no extra memory hit beyond the transform and rotation required to position them. Instances also render way faster than static geometry.

Cool! if a game uses tesselation, do they apply it on top of this or how does this work ?

heyf00L said:
http://trailers.gwn.com/movies/play.php/f/535/Crysis-Crytek_CEO_interview.html
Here. A Crytek guy explains why they didn't make it on PC (about 3/4 way in).
He says:
1) The engine was multiplatform, but they decided not to make Crysis multiplatform.
2) They wanted to prove that the PC was not "retracting" and can "kick ass".
3) The gameplay and the complexity is only possible on PC. A console version would have to be stepped back.
4) They played around with it on console, but they would have to compromise things like having such "big worlds".
5) They may go console in the future, but didn't want to be distracted in Crysis 1.

Then he talks about really wanting to push licensing the engine. They made this amazing engine with amazing development tools, but it's not getting many licensees. I think a big motivation for making Crysis 2 multiplatform was to show off what their engine can do.
It's hard to tel when Crytek is being genuine or in PR mode.

#3 & 4 are factually wrong. Again, Far Cry 2 proved that tackling massive areas in a multitude of ways was possible on consoles. One of the biggest marketing bullet-points for FC2 was exactly that... the ability to tackle an objective in many different ways. And the world is huge.

MisterAnderson said:
When using nano vision in multiplayer, some players don't show up with a heat signature...is that a perk they are using or something or a glitch?
They were cloaked. You can still see their heat signature but it's very faint compared to being uncloaked. Seems to be a tiny bit more visible when they're running around.

Warm Machine said:

Well that ends that. I'd like to see the "Cryis 2 is a huge tech downgrade to a smaller urban environment" crowd's response to this.

Warm Machine said:

Before this post gets lost in the morass, thanks for that tidbit!
When I think about it, Crysis doesn't have as much geometry...and when it does my framerate usually dips.

JoeBoy101

I don't mind silent protagonists. They certainly have their place. But imagine a sequence of plot in Half Life 2 where Alyx thinks you are Barney and in all her talking over a radio to you and dealings with you acts like that. And the combine also think you are Barney. And when you reach Alyx, she's stunned to see you are Gordon.

Its making part of the plot dependent on your not talking when any reasonable person who have voiced some words. Now, if there's some reason for that. Cool. But make it an in-game reason, else it just comes off as stupid.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I really wish people wouldn't compare average framerates between hard and soft-vsync'd builds, it really is apples and oranges.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
theignoramus said:
"they failed", then you proceed to list console exclusives. I cant take it seriously.
This is supposed to be the best looking game on consoles. It even says it on the box! Besides, I mentioned CoD several times in this thread and in that post. Maybe your eyes don't work which is why you think the game looks so good. If you can't read, how on earth would you be able to see graphical anomalies?

Gvaz said:
I don't know what your PC specs are, but even the demo should have ran better on the PC. The demo pissed me off though. I had a hard time getting into matches.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I have a GTX 580 in SLI so frame rate is not a problem, although in the begining area it dropped to 50FPS on extreme mode without enemies in screen (no SLI profile I assume?)the lack of advanced options is a travesty, it really is. this is supposed to be a PC game, what exactly is the justification for that?
If you open the console you should be able to adjust individual settings by using the "sys_spec_*" series of commands.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
JoeBoy101 said:
I don't mind silent protagonists. They certainly have their place. But imagine a sequence of plot in Half Life 2 where Alyx thinks you are Barney and in all her talking over a radio to you and dealings with you acts like that. And the combine also think you are Barney. And when you reach Alyx, she's stunned to see you are Gordon.

Its making part of the plot dependent on your not talking when any reasonable person who have voiced some words. Now, if there's some reason for that. Cool. But make it an in-game reason, else it just comes off as stupid.
I really liked Nomad in the original, he didn't have much of a personality but he was amusingly badass and cocksure. He had a great voice and was just fun to listen to.

I never liked the fact that Alcatraz is mute, but there is actually a (relatively) good reason for that that you'll understand in the end.

He's already dead

Dreohboy

Nekrono said:
Nicely summarized, I really don't get why people say it's better than Crysis, IT'S NOT.

That doesn't mean Crysis 2 is a bad game though, they just should have named it something else :p

Since we're just posting opinions. Why isn't it better than Crysis? Sure, Crysis is beautiful (if you broke the bank) and open (boring to some) but that don't mean it's better than Crysis 2. Groundbreaking? Ok.

What are you looking for in a $60 FPS?

Every FPS should have a silent protagonist in my opinion, at least during segments where you're in control (3rd person cutscenes are OK). It's really jarring when I'm supposedly controlling someone and they're spouting off things that I probably wouldn't be saying.

I certainly have no problem with this game, in fact I think it's kind of amusing everyone thinks you're Prophet. :lol

JoeBoy101

luka said:
I really liked Nomad in the original, he didn't have much of a personality but he was amusingly badass and cocksure. He had a great voice and was just fun to listen to.

I never liked the fact that Alcatraz is mute, but there is actually a (relatively) good reason for that that you'll understand in the end.

I will wait and see then.

JB1981

Warm Machine said:

Pretty much.

nyong

Banned
Ok, the lack of sales is bothering me. As is the extreme guilt I have paying full price for Homefront and deciding to wait for a sale to pick up Crysis 2. I already know I'm going to love the SP campaign. My question is, how is the PC multiplayer? Lots of servers? Similar to BC2? Overrun with snipers/campers? Major balance problems? Do you see it being popular/fun in the long-term?

Heavy said:
They were cloaked. You can still see their heat signature but it's very faint compared to being uncloaked. Seems to be a tiny bit more visible when they're running around.

No, they weren't. I played the demo extensively so I know the difference. I saw the full out enemy model running around in Nano Vision mode without the heat signature effect, it was just a black and white-ish version of them and made them harder to see than normal. It has happened on a few occasions. Not sure what the deal is with that, at first I had assumed it was a new perk thing that wasn't in the demo.

nyong said:
Ok, the lack of sales is bothering me.

What are the sales numbers so far?

Top Bottom