• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis | PSN XBLA |OT| "It can run Crysis"

-SD-

Banned
Rolf NB said:
Wow. Everything that is bad about "next-gen" effects is there, distilled, purified and smeared all across the screen. Totally overdone contrast [...]
Well said.

See You Next Wednesday said:
The PC version looks so flat & devoid of any lighting & reflective mapping that in some parts it looks like it's using technology built for PS2/Xbox era of games.
I'm not sure if that's sarcastic or not.

StevieP

Banned

The PC version looks so flat & devoid of any lighting & reflective mapping that in some parts it looks like it's using technology built for PS2/Xbox era of games.

The super graphic heavy mods on the PC absolute destroys the improvements that Crytek made for the console & they're all just expanded effects of what the 360/PS3 got.

Call me crazy, but I prefer flat to "everything is blue and smeared"

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm having a really hard time getting into this. The suit feels really useless compared to how it was in Crysis 2 and the checkpoints are driving me nuts. The part I'm on I keep getting killed just a few feet away from the objective and it takes about 15 minutes to get back to it. The game is great but a few issues are keeping me from being as taken with it as I was with 2. It also doesn't help that my TV is terrible so I can't see clearly in the jungle, even with the in game brightness maxed.

The super graphic heavy mods on the PC absolute destroys the improvements that Crytek made for the console & they're all just expanded effects of what the 360/PS3 got.

To me that is one of the things that made Crysis look a little more realistic that the common plastic HDR fest most games have for textures.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Vulcano's assistant said:
To me that is one of the things that made Crysis look a little more realistic that the common plastic HDR fest most games have for textures.
Overall, I agree, but that method of lighting did not work out for the best in every level. Certain levels at certain TODs look quite flat. The assault mission, for instance (in the harbor), looks pretty bland during the entire sunrise with very flat lighting. Even after the sun has risen, that level still feels a bit flat.

The majority of the levels, however, are absolutely beautiful to behold.

The console lighting is definitely overdone at parts, but I still think it looks reasonably good in its own right and certainly much better than most mods.

I DO love the lighting in Crysis 2, however. Even if it is a bit over the top, it looks really good while playing.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
From what I've seen of the console version's new lighting, it's way overdone. I much prefer the original Crysis's lighting in terms of hue and subtlety. The HDR... ratios? or whatever they are make the console version look way too hot. Then again, I also prefer the original ToD settings to the custom ones. The original lighting was tasteful in ways you don't really see anymore outside of something like GT5 or C.A.R.S..

Nizz

I'm a little pissed at the game right now. Don't know if anyone else is experiencing this on PS3. I'm at the final level and this problem has happened twice already at these points:
when I have to lower those rods in that room on the ship flooded with radiation
and at
the part when I'm taking on the giant alien.

When I died at either of these part, instead of the game reloading the last checkpoint, it just hangs there at a black screen. I could probably wrap this game up already but this bug is getting on my nerves.

RoboPlato said:
I'm having a really hard time getting into this. The suit feels really useless compared to how it was in Crysis 2 and the checkpoints are driving me nuts. The part I'm on I keep getting killed just a few feet away from the objective and it takes about 15 minutes to get back to it. The game is great but a few issues are keeping me from being as taken with it as I was with 2. It also doesn't help that my TV is terrible so I can't see clearly in the jungle, even with the in game brightness maxed.
It is harder than C1 and has its own learning curve. I didn't really get comfortable with the controls and mechanics until about half way through the game, stick with it!

-SD- said:
Plus the blue tinted ToD. Yuck! :/

You mean like reality. On a blue sky day, hold up something white and tell me what colour the ambient shadows are. The sky is as much a light in our world as the sun. Right now I can look outside and see that the brick building across the street has massive blue fill on the shadow side.

In photographs it is accentuated or removed through white balance.

look at the colour of the shadows in this picture...

Santorini_Greece.jpg

All I know is playing the game, the blue sky did not look egregious in any way and I never felt like the bloom or anything else ever impacted my ability to complete the mission.

Nuborn

Completed this the other day, so rewarding to actually play an FPS where the only reason you die is because you made a stupid decision. (I did most of the tank level on foot, although its more fun you die a LOT)

Little tip: Turn the in game brightness down, seemed to reduce some of the godawful bloom

Vulcano's assistant said:

I don't know about that.
In real life, light bends with objects, it can give over blown contrast, it surrounds them with dark shadows that obscures details from the naked eye.

This
K7SJb.jpg

just doesn't look anywhere close to this
10BrightForest001.jpg

While a modded version (& to a lesser extent console versions) with over exaggerated lighting, plastic-y look/contrast/effects like this
okjh5.jpg

Looks much closer to that real life picture.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Neuromancer said:
It is harder than C1 and has its own learning curve. I didn't really get comfortable with the controls and mechanics until about half way through the game, stick with it!
I just played a bit of the Assault chapter and it's getting a lot better for me. I think I have a much better concept of how to move in the environments and how enemies react and it's starting to click.

Klocker

I get my ass kicked on normal. I must be doing it wrong but I keep dying

am strting to try and stealth past a lot of enemies and I';m usually pretty good at FPS combat

Klocker said:
I get my ass kicked on normal. I must be doing it wrong but I keep dying

am strting to try and stealth past a lot of enemies and I';m usually pretty good at FPS combat
Yea, on Normal you're gonna need to start taking advantage of cloak and headshots. You can occasionally pop on Armor mode and go on a shotgun spree, but they'll bite through your armor pretty quickly.

Wow this was the easiest Platinum trophy ever :p just one playthrough on Delta. Thank god for no grinding trophies or mandatory fetch quests.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I thought Crysis looked great on 360 and the lighting actually did look realistic. On a sunny day, look at the light around trees - it really looks much closer to the 360 version than the PC version.

Warm Machine said:
You mean like reality. On a blue sky day, hold up something white and tell me what colour the ambient shadows are. The sky is as much a light in our world as the sun. Right now I can look outside and see that the brick building across the street has massive blue fill on the shadow side.

In photographs it is accentuated or removed through white balance.

look at the colour of the shadows in this picture...

[IMG ]http://itravelfirst.com/sitelink_pic/Santorini_Greece.jpg[/IMG]
Well, the game kind of exaggerates it a little and sometimes ends looking like this (I do love the blue tint anyway).
2dlqef6.jpg

I don't know about that.
In real life, light bends with objects, it can give over blown contrast, it surrounds them with dark shadows that obscures details from the naked eye.

I agree, radiosity has been a great improvement over the original lighting. I thought you were talking about bump mapping.

Yeah, I think that the blue bloom haloing only happens when the game is exposing against a dark(er) subject as it would with a real camera. It doesn't happen out in the open when it exposes for regular sunlight. However, the game does cap its HDR effect and what we are seeing is often an artifact of this Thankfully so the dynamic range isn't out of control so though.

Doing a search for Forest or Jungle in Google images there are loads of examples of white skies, blue haloing and black contrast levels.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I've played up through the zero-g chapter and I've done a complete 180 on the game. I love it now. That chapter, while a bit annoying, was gorgeous and super atmospheric. The few chapters before that were some of the best I've played in an FPS. This game had a pretty big learning curve, especially after having played Crysis 2 first, but once it clicks it's great.

Ok....people really need to play Crysis 1.

The PS3 version made me fire up my PC version again running the included Advanced AI mod....hot DAMN. Just passed the area where two tanks roll into town right after you locate a certain female.......

Bad ass section right there.

And seriously folks, comparing Crysis 1 and Crysis 2 doesn't seem right. Both are beautiful games that are good at providing different gaming experiences.

Crysis 1 = sandbox jungle environments, lush vegetation and good enemy AI (game is waaay too easy on anything less than hard WITH the Advanced AI though)

Crysis 2 = beautiful city backdrop, more detailed alien invasion, bigger set pieces, more of a story (though the story is pretty basic)

Damn...love this series.

People should thank Crytek for creating two enjoyable single player FPS experiences. Bravo.

Xplatformer said:
Damn...love this series.

People should thank Crytek for creating two enjoyable single player FPS experiences. Bravo.

Did you forget Warhead? ;D I'm' still hoping they port that to the consoles as well.

LCGeek

formerly sane
As most have been saying crysis modded always can look better than crysis unmodded in some areas. The lighting of crysis doesn't show itself until you alter it, something that for some odd reason crytek hates pc types doing in 2 so easily.

Barrow Roll said:
So is it recommended to start on Delta difficulty for a first playthrough if I'm pretty experienced with FPS'?

Pretty much yeah. It's THE Crysis experience. Normal or Hard would be a cakewalk for you.

Which can be fun though if you just want to go extreme Rambo without much resistance.

Tunavi

Banned
Barrow Roll said:
So is it recommended to start on Delta difficulty for a first playthrough if I'm pretty experienced with FPS'?
I'm having a ton of fun with Delta. It's pretty damn tough though. You really have to plan out your attacks.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
-SD- said:
PC vs 360 comparison @1080p: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcKLjgWl7tM

My reactions to art direction:

Every PC scene : )

Every 360 scene : (

Since Crysis, Crytek have gone worse and worse, art direction wise.
Pretty amazing how much is actually lost in translation. Some of the 360 scenes look like still photos, until it switches to PC and you remember you're watching moving video footage. :)

The lighting may be more accurate due to CE3 and they may have 'fixed' some of the poorer pc textures, but in the end it's still an imitation.

lucius

So I beat it on 360 on normal and started a new game on Delta. When first playing it after a couple hours I didn't like the game as much as Crysis 2, but after a while it just kicks in and I started playing different, coming at enemies in different ways using the environment and abilities bettter. Awesome gameplay overall, I haven't finished a FPS and wanted to start a new game right away in a long time probably since Halo 1. Well worth the $20 for me I have about 20 hours in the game already.

TUROK

I noticed a curious oddity in the 360 version. When you activate the flashlight on a gun, the flashlights can cast shadows on objects for about a second, but then it stops. Strange...

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Game is even better than I remember it. Going through on Delta as usual, but I'm experimenting more with the shotgun than I did on PC. Kicking the game's ass is my specialty.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Oh, and is it just me finally noticing, but are some sound effects missing? Like, when you walk into a building, ambient noise complete stops. Or there's no rushing water sound when you're near a waterfall.

Lyphen said:
Oh, and is it just me finally noticing, but are some sound effects missing? Like, when you walk into a building, ambient noise complete stops. Or there's no rushing water sound when you're near a waterfall.
Yeah, the audio engine's messed up. A lot of sounds and music don't even work.

Lyphen said:

Yeah unfortunately there are some significant audio issues. I played through the PS3 version and now I'm going through the 360 version - both have issues, however I can say the 360 version is better by FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR. Much better IQ, and generally I haven't experienced as many bugs - I'm up to the Assault Chapter in the 360 version btw.

PaddyOCanager said:
Yeah unfortunately there are some significant audio issues. I played through the PS3 version and now I'm going through the 360 version - both have issues, however I can say the 360 version is better by FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR. Much better IQ, and generally I haven't experienced as many bugs - I'm up to the Assault Chapter in the 360 version btw.
And this is why you always wait for the Digital Foundry comparison. That is, if you own both consoles.

Dont you all find the first 2/3 of Crysis 1 utterly superior to everything in C2? I'm assuming the console version has a mostly similar level design as the PC version.

scitek

theignoramus said:
Dont you all find the first 2/3 of Crysis 1 utterly superior to everything in C2? I'm assuming the console version has a mostly similar level design as the PC version.

Not 2/3. Everything up to the Core, then you come out and it's frozen over, and so is the gameplay. Crysis 2 is more linear, for sure, but it's still a god damn fun game. Even with its AI problems I've been able to play it far more than a ton of other shooters this generation.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
theignoramus said:

I bought Crysis 2 a few months ago in a sale at EB. That was my first experience with the series and really enjoyed it. Then I read a thread here about game sequels worse than the originals and there were a lot of posts saying Crysis was better than the sequel. I snapped it up and lo and behold, I didn't go back to finish Crysis 2.

After the chopper pick up.......

Night time, infiltration mission across a bay where you have to take out the radar towers. Trying to sneak in and then the sun rises eventually turning into day during the duration of the mission was unreal. That graphics in C1 even without mods still hold up to this day.

That reminds me, I really need to go back and carry on after that mission. I got so many unfinished games I don't know where to begin.

Turnstyle

I downloaded this on Saturday. Not sure how many hours I've put into it, but looking at the achievements I think I must be near the end (
just got out of the alien base thing
).

Must be a pretty short game if this is the case. I've done all the secondary objectives too, because I wanted the game to last.

I've been enjoying it, although my thumb is pretty much screwed from pushing down the analog stick to run. That is really harsh.

Can someone tell me how you mod your gun? I can't work it out at all (360 version).

Wonko_C

To bring the weapons mod menu hold down the Back button.

To sprint you can just quickly click the thumbstick to run instead of holding it down. There, I just saved your left thumb. :)

Turnstyle

Wonko_C said:
To sprint you can just quickly click the thumbstick to run instead of holding it down. There, I just saved your left thumb. :)

Whaaaaaaaaaattttttttt?!?!

Ugh, I wish I'd know that before!

Finished the game last night, but going I'll be sure to click that stick in for my second playthrough.

My thumb thanks you.

Dan Yo

Banned
Lyphen said:
Shame it probably won't be fixed. I really like this version.
Are they not likely to patch this game? I can't get any credit for playing this game on Delta no matter what I seem to do. Even tried the changing difficulty in main menu options thing and still won't give me credit according to the mission select screen.

I was thinking of just holding off on playing it until a patch releases but if that's not likely to happen then that sucks.

I just finished the game for the first time and had no troubles with the Delta achievements. Weird.

I have noticed a lot of the music and sound glitches people have been talking about. I got no music or sound in the very last cutscene except dialogue and the gentle humming of the VTOL engine. Watching all that go down with no accompanying sound or music was humorous and anti-climactic.

All in all, I really enjoyed the game. The last 1/3 doesn't hold a candle to the first 2/3 but it's not straight up horrible either. At least you got some cool visuals in those levels.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Gen X said:
I bought Crysis 2 a few months ago in a sale at EB. That was my first experience with the series and really enjoyed it. Then I read a thread here about game sequels worse than the originals and there were a lot of posts saying Crysis was better than the sequel. I snapped it up and lo and behold, I didn't go back to finish Crysis 2.

I beat Crysis 2 after Crysis 1 and thought that C2's open-ish sections, while not as open as Crysis, were as much if not more fun than as anything in the original. It's just that C2's middle half is really linear and full of endless staged battles and lots of scripting. In other words, 50% of this Crysis 2 is Crysis and the other 50% is COD.

Dacon

Banned
diffusionx said:
I beat Crysis 2 after Crysis 1 and thought that C2's open-ish sections, while not as open as Crysis, were as much if not more fun than as anything in the original.
Didn't even come close for me simply because there weren't as many options, and the gameplay is much more limited than Crysis 1, that and the enemy AI can go from being painfully frustrating to painfully stupid randomly.

I love both game but Crysis 2 took a big step down in replayability for the series imo.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Dan Yo said:
Are they not likely to patch this game? I can't get any credit for playing this game on Delta no matter what I seem to do. Even tried the changing difficulty in main menu options thing and still won't give me credit according to the mission select screen.

I was thinking of just holding off on playing it until a patch releases but if that's not likely to happen then that sucks.
I'm just going off my experience with console updates. I'd like to ask a dev about it but I always seem to remember on weekends.

Top Bottom