• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis | PSN XBLA |OT| "It can run Crysis"

Cudder

Jesus, how do you beat the
Strider alien thing right before the final boss on the ship on Delta?
does it just take a massive amount of damage?

Cudder said:
Yep. Keep whaling on it with everything you've got. It'll go down.

Cudder

Neuromancer said:
Yep. Keep whaling on it with everything you've got. It'll go down.
Should I be going for the rocket launcher and keep using that? I don't think I have the minigun on me. Blahh.

Yeah use up that rocket launcher. The Gauss gun is real powerful too.

Save some gauss rounds for the final boss though. I found it came in handy.

Metal-Geo

Neuromancer said:
If this game is a glorified tech demo, than I'd rather have more glorified tech demos like this (with open areas this big, optional objectives, and tactical gameplay), and less polished, scripted, super linear games like the Calls of Duty.
It's a tech-demo for how to do FPS properly. :)

Dacon

Banned
Cudder said:

I took it out with the minigun. Find a nice hunk of ship and hide behind it in armor mode when it fires its big blast and pound away at its face with the minigun and he'll be dead in minutes.

Yeah, there's a crashed dropship you can effectively hide behind, though the Walker will occasionally shoot behind it and one-shot you. Just pound it with Minigun and Gauss rounds and it'll drop eventually.

Going from Crysis 1 into my near ending save of Crysis 2 the delta between the two games in gunplay, ease of use, visuals, and enemy hit reactions is very apparent. Crysis 2 does all of it better than Crysis 1. However, the trade off is the lack of more open environments and that is only due to the type of technology being used...terrain vs. static geo.

Crysis 2 got way too much flak for its design than it really deserved.

Warm Machine said:
Going from Crysis 1 into my near ending save of Crysis 2 the delta between the two games in gunplay, ease of use, visuals, and enemy hit reactions is very apparent. Crysis 2 does all of it better than Crysis 1. However, the trade off is the lack of more open environments and that is only due to the type of technology being used...terrain vs. static geo.

Crysis 2 got way too much flak for its design than it really deserved.

Yeah, I never get why people bash Crysis 2. It felt so much more refined & polished over the first.
Having a city environment over a jungle environment does equate to "dumbing" the game down.
If anything the jungle got boring & monotonous over it's course.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I also love Crysis 2. It felt significantly more polished than Crysis and still offered plenty of ways to play. It is let down somewhat by poor AI and a weak story. If the AI could have been beefed up and the story completely different it would have been one of the years best.

I thought the switch to a city environment was a nice change for Crytek. No, it wasn't as open as the original, but it was still FAR more open ended than most other shooters. I thought they struck a perfect balance between linearity and openness.

It was also the very first time Crytek was able to leave the jungles behind. Their three previous games focused entirely on this tropical theme and I'm glad to see them try something new. Visually, Crysis 2 is the most impressive looking game they've ever made even if it isn't quite delivering as much detail as the original.

OK...after never finishing Crysis on my PC, I bit the bullet and just finished downloading it off PSN because I thought sitting in my living room playing might come a bit easier than running the game on my PC with a 4870.

I don't figure I'll miss much graphically, and I played it with a 360 controller on my PC.

Let me see if I enjoy it more.

Cudder

Blue Ninja said:
Yeah, there's a crashed dropship you can effectively hide behind, though the Walker will occasionally shoot behind it and one-shot you. Just pound it with Minigun and Gauss rounds and it'll drop eventually.
I don't have the minigun with me :(. Can I pick it up somewhere on the surface of the ship? I'll try again tomorrow.

Cudder said:
I don't have the minigun with me :(. Can I pick it up somewhere on the surface of the ship? I'll try again tomorrow.
There's one (and a few boxes of ammo) just in front of the crashed VTOL. You can even grab 'em while you're hiding behind it.

If you have a PC with at least a 4870...get the PC version and connect a 360 controller to it.

If you
1) don't have a graphic card at least as powerful as a 4870
2) don't game on your PC at all

...get this game.

Personally, it's just as fun to "play" as the PC version, but DAMN visually. This game guarantees I buy a 6870 with my next paycheck.

Great value for $20 over PSN, but a better value on PC.

Can't believe anyone is taking the tech demo joke seriously.

Console gamers always threw that stupid phrase around about Crysis on PC. Poor art direction and felt like a tech demo. They all seemed to have a friend with a super awesome PC that allowed them to actually play it so they could make their well informed opinion.

I just found it odd that I hadn't heard a single person say that about the console version. Crytek must not have ported the tech demoness over. They cut it out along with the VTOL level.

I H8 Memes said:

Console gamers always threw that stupid phrase around about Crysis on PC. Poor art direction and felt like a tech demo. They all seemed to have a friend with a super awesome PC that allowed them to actually play it so they could make their well informed opinion.

I just found it odd that I hadn't heard a single person say that about the console version. Crytek must not have ported the tech demoness over. They cut it out along with the VTOL level.
Ah I see. It was a lampoon!

scitek

I H8 Memes said:

I just wanted to quote your name because you set it up perfectly.

Dacon

Banned
dark10x said:
I also love Crysis 2. It felt significantly more polished than Crysis and still offered plenty of ways to play. It is let down somewhat by poor AI and a weak story. If the AI could have been beefed up and the story completely different it would have been one of the years best.

I thought the switch to a city environment was a nice change for Crytek. No, it wasn't as open as the original, but it was still FAR more open ended than most other shooters. I thought they struck a perfect balance between linearity and openness..
Wasn't just the AI and the story for me.

The limitations of the suit and its capabilities was a huge letdown for me. There was too much linearity as well, the confines of the city weren't that interesting for me, and I often find myself handling encounters in the more common and effective methods.

There just wasn't really any room for a lot of experimentation like the original.

I H8 Memes said:
No. It was a joke.
I see. I guess it required the background knowledge of like 4 years of PC gamer vs console gamer resentment that I was completely unaware of. I'm sure it was very funny though.

Neuromancer said:
I see. I guess it required the background knowledge of like 4 years of PC gamer vs console gamer resentment that I was completely unaware of. I'm sure it was very funny though.

I'm overwhelmed with resent. I have a box next to my pc full of 6x9 cards with the name of every person on the internet who ever called Crysis a tech demo.

SA-X

diffusionx said:
I... don't agree with that. I got through Assault last night and this game is amazing. It came out right around MW1 and I really wish this game became the template. It hasn't aged a day and has quickly become one of my favorite FPS games.
Well I haven't played it on the harder difficulties yet, so I'll probably like it more before I'm done with it. After playing it on normal though I'd say its a great game but I'm not ready to put it up there with the likes of Half Life/Halo/Bioshock just yet.

Man, the sound and music really cut out a lot during the 360 version. A song'll be playing and suddenly stop, taking all background sounds with it. Bye beach sounds, bye creepy alien lair sounds. Nothing. It's really buggy.

Tunavi

Banned
I'm playing on Delta, just finished the first level. I had a standoff with 6 enemies, and we just totally demolished one of the little huts during the firefight. Another cool moment was when I cloaked behind a group of enemies huddled around an explosive barrel (lol) and it blew them all to pieces.
This game rocks, glad I'm finally able to play it.

lemmykoopa

Lovely game. Very fun to play.

Only bit: the dynamic range on the sniper is a little too much, I almost jumped out of my seat when I fired it, the volume of it is 3x louder than any other gun. My neighbours probably didn't like that, neither did my eardrums.

Rainy Dog

Blue Ninja said:
Man, the sound and music really cut out a lot during the 360 version. A song'll be playing and suddenly stop, taking all background sounds with it. Bye beach sounds, bye creepy alien lair sounds. Nothing. It's really buggy.

It's the same on the PS3. The music, as nice as it is, comes in and cuts out at the most odd and abrupt times. Wasn't sure if it was supposed to be like that or it was just me confusing the games sound cues with some of the unorthodox routes I was taking through the levels :)

Rainy Dog said:
It's the same on the PS3. The music, as nice as it is, comes in and cuts out at the most odd and abrupt times. Wasn't sure if it was supposed to be like that or it was just me confusing the games sound cues with some of the unorthodox routes I was taking through the levels :)
I just finished it. Good game a lot of fun and very impressive. First thing I noticed though was the old style weapon sway when walking. Games nowadays kinda bob up amd down, not sway side to side. The music is just bad and the cutting in and out is normal I'm afraid. Happens to me on 360 and it happened to my wife on PC.

Rainy Dog

Dark Octave said:
I just finished it. Good game a lot of fun and very impressive. First thing I noticed though was the old style weapon sway when walking. Games nowadays kinda bob up amd down, not sway side to side. The music is just bad and the cutting in and out is normal I'm afraid. Happens to me on 360 and it happened to my wife on PC.

Glad you enjoyed it. Yeah, it's things such as the weapon sway that make it feel unique and stand apart from most of today's FPS. I found the whole experience very refreshing and is definitely one of my favourite FPS games of recent years. If not all time thinking about it...

It even inspired me to give the sequel another playthrough immediately afterwards and I'm appreciating that more than I did the first time round too. I enjoyed it anyway, but I'm using the suit to much better effect after experiencing the first game plus using much more pre-analysis and planning of approaches. I'm taking different routes to pretty much every situation than the first time around which is a credit to the game that I can even do that. It's obviously less open ended than the original, but still allows for much more strategy in how you get from A to B than the average FPS nowadays.

Rainy Dog said:
It definitely wasn't like that on the PC. The music engine was very good at keeping music going when it had to.

scitek

-SD- said:
Since Crysis, Crytek have gone worse and worse, art direction wise.

Wat. I think Crysis 2 looks very nice artistically, and leagues better than the strewn together copypaste jungles of the first game.

Lighting-wise, I really prefer the look of the console versions. The PC version often looked bland. I don't even remember the Onslaught level looking so foggy and meh on the PC version as it looks in that video, it's crazy.
(I do like the way Exodus looked on PC better, though.)

Texture-wise, there's no denying the PC's the stronger one, but really, did we need a video comparison to realize that?

That video showcases how good of a job Crytek's done on porting this game, bugs notwithstanding. It's mind-blowing.

eshwaaz

lemmykoopa said:
Lovely game. Very fun to play.

Only bit: the dynamic range on the sniper is a little too much, I almost jumped out of my seat when I fired it, the volume of it is 3x louder than any other gun. My neighbours probably didn't like that, neither did my eardrums.
Ha, same happened to me. The audio mix in general is all over the place.

One sound that they really nailed, that most shooters overlook, is really satisfying bullet impact sound effects. It makes the enemies feel solid; like they have mass. Headshot sounds are especially good.

After hearing the horror stories of Crysis 2, I'm finally getting around to playing it on the PC. I do miss the jungle, but the gunplay and control design (ie: "e" for stealth and "q" for strength instead of "lean") is outstanding. The stealth shotgun is fantastic.

Of course, my experience may be influenced by the DX11 support and the mega-texture pack.

XOMTOR

Blue Ninja said:
Lighting-wise, I really prefer the look of the console versions. The PC version often looked bland.

Yea but does anyone actually play the vanilla PC version? Even my first playthrough was modded. Never played the vanilla version once, wouldn't even be able to tell ya what it looks like. My current Crysis install consists of Mster 3.01, custom autoexec, Silent's HiRez foliage, Advanced AI mod, Xzero's shaders, custom nanosuit, weapon and vehicle skins.

That video showcases how good of a job Crytek's done on porting this game, bugs notwithstanding. It's mind-blowing.

Agreed, they have done quite an amazing job and I'm glad that everyone now gets a chance to enjoy this game.

-SD-

Banned
JB1981 said:
The bloom, high contrast lighting in 360 version really is worse
Plus the blue tinted ToD. Yuck! :/

XOMTOR said:
Yea but does anyone actually play the vanilla PC version?
I do. Vanilla looks best. I've tried out tons of mods and always go back to the default look of Crysis.

XOMTOR

Curufinwe said:
I'm playing it vanilla and with everything on Medium. That's all my C2D can handle.

You'd may be surprised what you could get Crysis to run like with some mods. I think CCC (or is it CUDAATS now?) has a config included for medium settings. May possibly make the game look better and run smoother at the same time. Most of Crysis' heavy performance hit comes from LOD, Shaders and shadows. And even within those groups, only a few settings are the real performance hogs.

The problem with simply choosing "medium" in-game is that Crytek turned down way more Cvars than was really needed for each setting. I'm sure there's a good medium autoexec out there that may even net you a few more fps.

I always play Crysis PC with default TOD. I've tried different light mods and I always go back to Vanilla. That video made the console lighting look completely horrible and just ugly, contrast was all over the place. Shit look like a box crayons exploded, and that bloom dear god it's like 20 nukes went off in the sky.

Rolf NB

-SD- said:
PC vs 360 comparison @1080p: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcKLjgWl7tM

My reactions to art direction:

Every PC scene : )

Every 360 scene : (

Since Crysis, Crytek have gone worse and worse, art direction wise.
Wow. Everything that is bad about "next-gen" effects is there, distilled, purified and smeared all across the screen. Totally overdone contrast, nonsensical blur, pores and dripping humidity on every surface. Ewwwwwww.

Metal-Geo

I actually like how saturated the green of mother nature looks in the Remastered version. On the PC, everything blends way too much. Unless, of course, you use modified color grading and/or ToD. But the Remastered version definitely suffers from a lot of crushed blacks and way-too-bright spots. And the sky in the Remastered version is... yugh.

I think the perfect Crysis would be a blend between the too. :p

Rolf NB said:
Wow. Everything that is bad about "next-gen" effects is there, distilled, purified and smeared all across the screen. Totally overdone contrast, nonsensical blur, pores and dripping humidity on every surface. Ewwwwwww.

I'm not sure if that's sarcastic or not.

The PC version looks so flat & devoid of any lighting & reflective mapping that in some parts it looks like it's using technology built for PS2/Xbox era of games.

The super graphic heavy mods on the PC absolute destroys the improvements that Crytek made for the console & they're all just expanded effects of what the 360/PS3 got.

Top Bottom