• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2077 - Review Thread

Should we lock this thread?

• Yes

Votes: 196 23.8%
  • No

Votes: 628 76.2%

• Total voters

Hugare

I wanted to give Kallie a fair shake and really see where she's coming from, but it sounds like she went into the game with certain expectations, and when they weren't met she made up her mind about the game and didn't give it a fair shake for the rest of her playthrough. A playthrough she rushed, where she barely did any content outside of the main story. It really sounds like to me that she wasn't the best choice to review this game.
That's also exactly my problem with Jeff Grub's review

He complained about the game not being revolutionary (really)

He expected things like: being able to sit on every bench (yeah, he also complained about this), being able to enter every building, being able to play in some slot machines, complained about offering "limited" options for stealth and combat ....

And man, this pisses me off. Because we have RDR 2 sitting at a 97 MC score.

A game where you can't sit on every bench and interact with every object.
Where you can't enter every building. Where you can't interact with NPCs more than "hi" or "rob".
Where mission design is ATROCIOUS, all you do is shoot shoot bang bang, and you can't even deviate from the linear path otherwise its "game over".

Where was he in 2018 to tear a new asshole in RDR 2 with those criticisms?

Witcher 3 didnt revolutionize gaming in 2015. It was just a damn good game in almost all fronts. And being good at that level is something so rare, that despite not revolutionizing the gaming world, it was still my GOTG.

And I expect the same with Cyberpunk.

Last edited:

PSYGN

One thing I'm not liking about this game is something I've seen all throughout previous/current generation of open-world games: Lack of population. Incredibly weak CPU and equally slow storage are to blame. Will PS5/Series X patch increase density? Wonder what Rockstar is cooking up for these consoles. :pie_thinking:

Yeah, it is a very admirable effort on CD Projekt Red to build a detailed sci-fi open world game. But to think GTA 5 ran on PS3/Xbox 360 physics and all blows my mind and I'm excited about what they have in store for GTA 6. It's awesome to see another detailed open world game by someone other than Rockstar! Hmm, what if Rockstar bought CDPR?

Last edited:

Trickster

He expected things like: being able to sit on every bench (yeah, he also complained about this), being able to enter every building, being able to play in some slot machines, complained about offering "limited" options for stealth and combat ....

Where you can't enter every building. Where you can't interact with NPCs more than "hi" or "rob".
Where mission design is ATROCIOUS, all you do is shoot shoot bang bang, and you can't even deviate from the linear path otherwise its "game over".

Witcher 3 didnt revolutionize gaming in 2015. It was just a damn good game in almost all fronts. And being good at that level is something so rare, that despite not revolutionizing the gaming world, it was still my GOTG.

Dunno if he did a review of the game, but it seems like he wasn't one of the people who thought RDR2 was the second coming of christ like a lot of game reviewers seemed to think

That being said. I fully expected both some reviewers, but also a lot of gamers that buy the game to be disappointed because they had built up wildly unrealistic expectations of what this game would be. Like, the amount of people I've seen over the last few years say they hoped that literally every building was enterable and explorable has been pretty wild

Last edited:

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game

Dunno if he did a review of the game, but it seems like he wasn't one of the people who thought RDR2 was the second coming of christ like a lot of game reviewers seemed to think

That being said. I fully expected both some reviewers, but also a lot of gamers that buy the game to be disappointed because they had built up wildly unrealistic expectations of what this game would be. Like, the amount of people I've seen over the last few years say they hoped that literally every building was enterable and explorable has been pretty wild

We'll see. My expectation was that this would be more of a sandbox game, not your typical Rockstar/Ubi Soft open world on rails experience. RDR2 was a huge disappointment.

Games don't need to reinvent the wheel as long they make a good quality one.

Nah, not with open world fatigue being a thing.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Games don't need to reinvent the wheel as long they make a good quality one.
To be fair, it was CDPR that said the whole 'welcome to the next generation of open world games', in that recent trailer.
I agree with you though, a game just has to be good, it doesnt need to reinvent anyhting.

JayK47

Well the reviews convinced me to pick this up. Preloaded and ready to go when it unlocks. Subtracting out whiny ass reviews that do not even look at what is important, and most reviews are very positive. Sounds like a solid buy.

harmny

Banned

he didn't review rdr2. someone else did and i think this is the important point of the gamespot review.

they praised the game in every pre release preview but then they gave the game for the actual review to someone that clearly didn't like it from the get go. she hated the decisions cdpr made with the setting for mostly political reasons (and also it seems she wasn't supper interested in the rpg aspects fo the game) and from then on it is obvious that she's gonna think everything is not good enough.

even in the did cyberpunk lived up to the hype video the other guy that also played the game was much more positive about it but he didn't review it. so to me gamespot knew what giving the game to her meant. they wanted to punish cdpr for woke reasons

Last edited:
It's funny to meme this and all but it's actually not very funny. Imagine dedicating years of your life to an extremely demanding project giving it your heart and soul. Then some "journalist" that could not be bothered to do her job comes around and decides to take a dump on the game because she felt like it. Her agenda is obvious and it's disgusting. These MC scores are unfortunately extremely important for the devs and her 7 has an impact.

yeah, I'm still stunned at what some of these """gamers""" are choosing to do with the one game that actually looks like a leap this year. the one game lol.

from the one dev that actually doesn't try and screw us over....

why....why would gamespot hand the biggest review of the year to this girl? lol why would they do that?

Last edited:

Ryzaki009

I actually like sitting in chairs in game but I'm one of those weirdos that made Skyrim a mini sim with survival mods and the like lol. But I wouldn't expect that from Cyberpunk I'm there to shoot people, crash cars (cause I can never drive for shit in games) and be a thot with all the options they give me XD

Hugare

Oh, that's great to hear! Glad to know that he also criticized RDR 2.

Edit: Holy fuck, I read his article and I could have written everything word by word about RDR 2 lol. Loved it, now he has a new fan.

But yeah, it's unfair to expect features that any other game was able to implement and CDPR never promissed before

Being able to enter every building and etc. would be just insane. People expecting this kind of shit have no idea about how game development works.

Not that I am expert, but at least I have some sense in me. Most of the time its not about money, talent and production time, there will be always compromises.

Rockstar with infinite budget, 8 years of production and a bazilion number of employees across many studios wasnt able to make a fully interactive open world

Maybe we will never reach that level of interactivity because the production cost and human cost for that woul be insane

To be fair, it was CDPR that said the whole 'welcome to the next generation of open world games', in that recent trailer.
I agree with you though, a game just has to be good, it doesnt need to reinvent anyhting.

But maybe it is? In terms of choices in the story, gameplay and etc.

Cant remember an open world game that offered this number of choices in the storyline, so that would be a first

But yeah, "welcome to the next generation of open world games" is vague, and some people may interpret it as "enter every building" or "sit on every bench"

Last edited:

harlekin

Probably youtuber knows nothing syndrom mixed in as well.

Tom's Hardware had FPS charts of the Denuvo version on - which they seemed to have taken down, which painted the picture very well.
(Previous link I believe: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/cyberpunk-2077-performance-preview )

As soon as you activate raytracing based features, as usual - and as expected, game performance more than halves. So you are very much encouraged to pick up the difference by enabling DLSS.

I've seen reviewers out there that have no Idea what DLSS is, and that have spread false information on what it does, and reviewers that were astonished, that deactivating it reduces bluriness, and reviewers that blamed 'if you turn it to performance, the character model looks like its 360p" on "they still need to figure it out".

CDPR has combated that, by telling reviewers that "straying from presets" (high, ultra) can lead to 'unexpected performance issues - which is basically saying - we are confident, that you are too dumb to know about the impact of raytracing yet - dont blame it on us. ;)

Basic rundown is this. Raytracing features have very high impact. As in - with most of them (different types - in general, not talking about Cyberpunk 2077) turned on - even on top tier cards, you are expected to get 1080p60 performance at most.

This is where DLSS comes in. DLSS is a fancy shader (/"upscaler"), that allows a game to render in 1080p, but with edge enhancement, sharpening / selective blur... mixed in, so people have the 'perception of a game running higher res'. So - heavy post processing, but at almost no cost, because its done on the frame (image output) level rather than on the render level. Which also leads to some undesired artifacts (shimmering, increased bluriness at certain distance levels, ...)

"Single digit framecount - when you look into a mirror" is exactly what you would expect if 'super expert' has turned on "1440p or pfourK", jacked raytracing features to max - hasnt set DLSS, and now is playing at medium detail levels because they dont know what they are doing.

So there is a high likelyhood - of that stuff going on as well.
Here is that info again (with Denuvo on), thanks to a website with a z in its name.. ;)
cyberpunk-2077-nvidia-geforce-rtx-dlss-quality-mode-1920x1080-performance.png

Here is that info again (with Denuvo on), thanks to a website with a z in its name.. ;)
cyberpunk-2077-nvidia-geforce-rtx-dlss-quality-mode-1920x1080-performance.png

RT in this game is kinda comparable to the Hairworks stuff in Witcher 3. Only the best cards were able to max it out at release.
(granted RT is way better...)

Last edited:

mr.dilya

Banned
I thought Mass Effect 2, at least for its time, was as good as it gets. Story wise in hindsight they wrote themselves into a corner, but that's neither here or there. I just know at the time that game was awesome.

Yeah I liked Mass Effect 2. What was the problem with that? Shit was dope.

JayK47

"Oh yeah, I gave it a 1 out of 10. Would have given it a 0 if I could!"

Everything today is about getting clicks. The whole fucking world. We can no longer have anything nice.

BKNY84

Neo Member
Safe to say that these "pro" gaming urinalists are done and no one trusts them for a long time already. No one gives better reviews than people on youtube, streamers and most of all yourself.

harmny

Banned
i mean i don't like the quartering. but that guy is just an answer to the same harassment woke media does. he lives doing those things the same way the other side lives doing the same thing only to different people

i don't see stapleton or any other journalists/developers calling out the extreme left people for harassing cdpr developers on twitter and calling them transphobes and murderers. and that happened too.

it's clear that without the trigger happy cancel culture the quartering (at least like that) wouldn't exist.

Last edited:
Well, I'm just happy after doing research that this "Jeff Grubb" reviewer guy is a completely different person than the "Jeff Grubb" that wrote stuff for Dungeons & Dragons back in the '80s so he will always REMAIN the real Jeff Grubb to me. Not that probably any of you have any idea who I am even talking about (God, I feel so old). :( Speaking of old, and since I've already derailed this thread, the Sandy Petersen who worked on Doom and Quake games is the same exact guy who worked on the original tabletop Call of Cthulhu game.

Now that I think about it, maybe this *does* all relate back to the Cyberpunk 2077 launch because C2077 is based on the Cyberpunk tabletop RPG that I actually played in the late '80's. So yeah, it *does* still relate to this thread!

Last edited:

Hugare

he seems like a bit of a whiner, no? I dont bother listening to anything gb related. I primarily just look at Karaks stuff.
Jeff's taste for games is a eccentric one, to put it mildly

He didn't enjoy The Witcher 3, for example

Last edited:

pogggggereree

Neo Member

Im 15 minutes in and it barely seems like he even knows what hes talking about.

he says he has an issue with the side content calling it ''hollow'' because of npcs texting him about quests which annoys him, but he wont actually go talk to these npcs to get backstory or context. that makes no sense to me. sounds like getting side quests might be a bit buggy atm

then he goes to say there is nothing like the witcher in this but apparently he doesnt like that game?

Last edited:

-Stryder-

Trickster Trickster Hugare Hugare

I'm not familiar with this Quartering guy, but Kallie went ahead and admitted that she passed on a substantial portion of the game-- barely doing side quests and refusing to do NCPD missions because she doesn't want to help the cops... And then she admits never upgrading her weapons, and stating that she didn't want to pursue many quests because she didn't see the point of content she hasn't experienced.

It's an exaggeration sure, she did play the game. She didn't really go in with an open mind and it's clear she didn't like it from the start due to what she heard about the ad most of the media deems transphobic. She mainlined the story quests so that she can write this review and get her pay check. In the end she did her job, and shit job at that.

He also tells his viewers to not reach out to her or attack her in any way, so I don't think he is being malcious. I only saw half of the video

Last edited:

Isendurl

Did he actually ever liked any game? I dont think I ever saw him speak positively about AAA game.

Also he has issues with "edgy" stuff, so it was pretty predictable he wont like Cyberpunk.

then he goes to say there is nothing like the witcher in this but apparently he doesnt like that game?

Apparently he did not even play it, or played for like 15 minutes and then stopped, because he did not liked the controls...

Last edited:
Quartering needs to have his channel terminated. It's full of misleading nonsense and lies all the time. Guy is the biggest piece of shit I've ever seen along with his hateful audience. I messaged the Gamespot staff personally shortly after that video went up earlier to let them know about it. Fuck that guy.

It's a 1h Giantbomb podcast where Jeff was the reviewer of the game

Of course not
Is it ok now to say that Giant Bomb is garbage? Nice.

The same goes for Quartering.

Quartering needs to have his channel terminated. It's full of misleading nonsense and lies all the time. Guy is the biggest piece of shit I've ever seen along with his hateful audience. I messaged the Gamespot staff personally shortly after that video went up earlier to let them know about it. Fuck that guy.

Imagine messaging Gamespot...

Last edited:
Trickster Trickster Hugare Hugare

I'm not familiar with this Quartering guy, but Kallie went ahead and admitted that she passed on a substantial portion of the game-- barely doing side quests and refusing to do NCPD missions because she doesn't want to help the cops... And then she admits never upgrading her weapons, and stating that she didn't want to pursue many quests because she didn't see the point of content she hasn't experienced.

It's an exaggeration sure, she did play the game. She didn't really go in with an open mind and it's clear she didn't like it from the start due to what she heard about the ad most of the media deems transphobic. She mainlined the story quests so that she can write this review and get her pay check. In the end she did her job, and shit job at that.

He also tells his viewers to not reach out to her or attack her in any way, so I don't think he is being malcious. I only saw half of the video
Yeaaahh about that last statement you made. When you build an audience of hateful people and you make a targeted harassment video about someone, telling them to not go after her is simply not going to happen. If he didn't want that then he wouldn't have made the video. Don't be stupid.

Last edited:

Ricky_Bee

Banned
Oh God it's still going on about that review? lol who the fuck Cares. It's like you have CDPR stocks or something :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Ah, there is still this seething sea of proles desperate for someone to give them a voice against the corp nomenklatura.

It’s all very Cyberpunk really.

Top Bottom