• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2077 - Review Thread

Should we lock this thread?

• Yes

Votes: 196 23.8%
  • No

Votes: 628 76.2%

• Total voters

Trickster

Trickster Trickster Hugare Hugare

I'm not familiar with this Quartering guy, but Kallie went ahead and admitted that she passed on a substantial portion of the game-- barely doing side quests and refusing to do NCPD missions because she doesn't want to help the cops... And then she admits never upgrading her weapons, and stating that she didn't want to pursue many quests because she didn't see the point of content she hasn't experienced.

It's an exaggeration sure, she did play the game. She didn't really go in with an open mind and it's clear she didn't like it from the start due to what she heard about the ad most of the media deems transphobic. She mainlined the story quests so that she can write this review and get her pay check. In the end she did her job, and shit job at that.

He also tells his viewers to not reach out to her or attack her in any way, so I don't think he is being malcious. I only saw half of the video

He's just a shitty person who pumps out something insane like 5-7 super low effort 10 minute rants with click bait thumbnails and titles each day.

And because of the nature of his videos and audience, his rants inevitable often focuses on women. Like, he's made 7 videos just about Pokimane in the last 14 days.

His main claim to fame is also getting banned from Magic the Gathering events after one of his videos caused a well known female cosplayer in that community to get harassed to the point of her leaving the community.

Last edited:

CloudNull

Banned
You are an absolute fucking legend, and I really hope your words here are seen by Era posters who might be lurking, unsure of where they belong. People like you show they belong right here.
I don’t want to hi-jack this thread but our empathy emote comes from Ailynn and Evilore. I think it’s a cool story for many of the new posters/returners to be aware of.

Here’s a thread. https://www.neogaf.com/threads/ailynns-empathy.1561465/

Everyone is welcome at Gaf.

Anyways I can’t sleep waiting for this game to go live. Shit is dragging out.

THEAP99

Banned
ugh. giant bomb talks about enemy npcs repeating the same 2 lines..to the point where it's annoying to do stealth because they just repeat the same lines

on open-world interactivity:
- go up and hit talk on random npcs and they'll just repeat "hey what are u looking at" basic stuff
- no real consequence to side activities: like the side activity for helping the cops, once u do all those rinses and repeat missions, it's just like "u built ur street cred" pretty lame
- not sure what pc build they use, but driving frame rate tanks. motor cycle little better
- no engaging side quests like no bloody baaron

timestamped :

Last edited:

Hugare

Is it ok now to say that Giant Bomb is garbage? Nice.

The same goes for Quartering.

Imagine messaging Gamespot...
Well, I like Vinny, Brad and Jeff (the rest I couldnt care less)

But for their personalities. Their taste in games dont match mine, usually. At all.

Certainly not Jeff's. But you know, they have their audience.

And Quartering is trash, dumpster fire material

Not sure Jeff likes anything..
He enjoyed Genshin Impact, I guess

A game that I couldnt care less

I mean there's a lot of people who don't like witcher 3. Not every game is for everyone.
Yeah, that's fair.

But look around the internet and you'll see that this is not the only example of a contrary opinion from him

As I said, his taste isn't trash, it's "eccentric"

Can't say its trash because "subjectivism" and all that.

But certainly doesnt match mine

Trickster

ugh. giant bomb talks about enemy npcs repeating the same 2 lines..to the point where it's annoying to do stealth because they just repeat the same lines

- go up and hit talk on random npcs and they'll just repeat "hey what are u looking at" basic stuff
- no real consequence to side activities: like the side activity for helping the cops, once u do all those rinses and repeat missions, it's just like "u built ur street cred" pretty lame
- not sure what pc build they use, but driving frame rate tanks. motor cycle little better

timestamped :

That side quest thing doesn't seem to match what I've seen most others say

harlekin

I'm not familiar with this Quartering guy, but Kallie went ahead and admitted that she passed on a substantial portion of the game-- barely doing side quests and refusing to do NCPD missions because she doesn't want to help the cops... And then she admits never upgrading her weapons
That might be a case of most commenters not knowing what they are talking about. But on the user, not the reviewers end. :)

Listened to the two 'in depth' youtubers reviews that were recommended in here. Listened to the Giantbomb Jacking In commentary video. Played The Witcher 3 for 150+ hours -- to the point where I really, really got to know the games systems - and I know what she is talking about.

And its nothing like most commenters want to make out of it.

Upgrading weapons and gear - is 'a worse optimizing strat' than the usual min/maxing you are engaged in, for when you mostly like the look of an item, and want to keep it. Its not the min/max optimum - and the way the game scales loot, you are getting better gear all the time. In addition to that - some of the upgrading materials are rare - so you might want to keep them for the endgame.

On the sidequests front, she admitted to barely doing 'contextual situations' quests - where quests would pop up, because you were in proximity to something. Knowing how that 'pull in structure' was implemented in The Witcher 3 - it wasnt great, it was just a 'hey there is something here' tease, that never quite pulled you in. One or two throw away voicelines, thats it. Didnt mean, that the quests behind it were bad, but the attract structure was nothing special. If they've kept it roughly the same - I can entirely understand why a reviewer would skip all of them, presuming, that they did other sidequests. (That 'attract' structure is not the only way to get sidequests in The Witcher 3).

On the 'did not do any crafting' front - if its set up like in The Witcher 3, crafting is level scaled, with 'top levels' for certain gear, but also scaled - so you never get high level crafting recipes, you'd actually be interested, that are much more than 2 levels above yours. Which means, that they tend to become meaningless, because you are advancing levels faster than trying to gather stuff for specific recipes would be worthwhile - considering the time commitment - and while you'd be gathering, you'd be leveling and...

The actual loop in The Witcher 3 is "Best weapons drop scaled as quest rewards - rarely." At least once you are overleveled for the general level cap of an area. There are about 5 different 'perk groups' for weapons that make sense - and there are about 20 perk groups in total. So loot is mostly useless (same with crafting recipes), until you hit one of those - and then it is not.

So if CDPR copy pasted systems from The Witcher 3, which hearing about all the systems they have in place from reviewers seems like they did --

ALL of those are valid criticisms.

So if you are getting all 'rallying cry for reviewer is stupid' about it - it might turn out, that you just dont know what you are talking about at all.

Last edited:

Hugare

I'm not familiar with this Quartering guy, but Kallie went ahead and admitted that she passed on a substantial portion of the game-- barely doing side quests and refusing to do NCPD missions because she doesn't want to help the cops... And then she admits never upgrading her weapons, and stating that she didn't want to pursue many quests because she didn't see the point of content she hasn't experienced.

It's an exaggeration sure, she did play the game. She didn't really go in with an open mind and it's clear she didn't like it from the start due to what she heard about the ad most of the media deems transphobic. She mainlined the story quests so that she can write this review and get her pay check. In the end she did her job, and shit job at that.

He also tells his viewers to not reach out to her or attack her in any way, so I don't think he is being malcious. I only saw half of the video
I agree with everything

But still: he lied in the tumbnail. She finished the game.

So, that's my point and why he is wrong.

And about that last sntence of yours: yeah, let's pretend that he wasnt being malicious and didnt know how the crowd would react

Did he actually ever liked any game? I dont think I ever saw him speak positively about AAA game.

Also he has issues with "edgy" stuff, so it was pretty predictable he wont like Cyberpunk.

Apparently he did not even play it, or played for like 15 minutes and then stopped, because he did not liked the controls...
Yeah, he acts like he "is too old for this shit"

Likes Genshin Impact tho, despite all the anime BS lol

And yeah, he didnt go very far into The Witcher 3. Didnt like the controls, the characters, the voice acting ...

Airbus Jr

Banned

timestamped :

Man this is such a downgrade from Witcher 3

Im not very happy with this news...

CD got lazy with this game or something?

Maybe covid has something to do with it...it sucks i know...

Last edited:

pogggggereree

Neo Member

i dont think its laziness. the game got too big and they delayed it too many times already. what they should of done is delayed it until summer 2021 back when they delayed it the last time. Sounds like some things aren't as fleshed out as they intended. Hopefully this shit gets fixed via patch or content updates

THEAP99

Banned

one thing they mention that could be the case is a lot of the side content feels as if it could just be cut and pasted into the online mode for like GTA Online type of content drops and stuff. Maybe that had something to do with it?

Anyways, these days honestly open-worlds suck with side content. Witcher 3 was a bit more surprising for me in that department, making it feel more meaningful so idk.

harlekin

i dont think its laziness. the game got too big and they delayed it too many times already. what they should of done is delayed it until summer 2021 back when they delayed it the last time. Sounds like some things aren't as fleshed out as they intended. Hopefully this shit gets fixed via patch or content updates
Thats also you not knowing what you are talking about - because, from an investors perspective, they need the Winter Holiday purchases.
Polish analyst predicts that CD Projekt Red's upcoming RPG Cyberpunk 2077 is set to become the most expensive game of all time. They estimate that the development costs will reach approximately $314 million.

Their time management was bad. Thats something you have to deal with.

pogggggereree

Neo Member
Thats also you not knowing what you are talking about - because, from an investors perspective, they need the Winter Holiday purchases.

No shit they needed to release it. As i said, they delayed it too many times already. Ideally the best thing would have been to manage their time better and have it ready but that didnt happen. From an investor point of view it needed to release years ago. From everyone elses point of view it should have been delayed for longer, lots are saying this. I really dont give a fuck about investors. I don't sit here and say ''well thats a shame the game has a myriad of problems but i am happy that the investors are pleased'' I am a consumer. Its not my problem. Also, I dont have to deal with shit. I still haven't bought the game :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy: and i likely wont until they fix their shit.

And yeah, that's totally on them for fucking up time management wise. I am just saying that its quite clear that things are not finished. Thats why everyone is talking about a mess of bugs and now all i am hearing about is about how the world is basically window dressing with no interactivity and the side quests aren't really tied into the main narrative.

I literally said the game got too big. Content wise and budget wise.

Last edited:

CloudNull

Banned
What if the performance on release is as bad as No Mans Sky? I loved the game but probably the worst launch I’ve ever experienced.

THEAP99

Banned

these investors are shitting their pants unless that day one patch works magic for base consoles where i expect lots of the sales to come from

Daffy Duck

In the polygon review why does she mislabel the chromanticore drink as chromanticure, it makes it sound even worse and for those that wouldn’t buy the game make them think even worse.

Last edited:

pogggggereree

Neo Member
these investors are shitting their pants unless that day one patch works magic for base consoles where i expect lots of the sales to come from

This too. Nothing kiboshes sales more than bad PR and press saying that the game is a fucking mess performance wise.

Manji Uzuki

All this information and the way CDPR is restricting reviewers to only use images provided by them are really concerning. Sounds like the game was rushed in the end and needed more time to fix bugs and improve performance.

Hope they can fix those problems in future updates. I was planning to wait anyway as I want to play this on PS5 and have too many games pending, bit it sucks for the people that has been waiting so long...

pogggggereree

Neo Member
This game is going to need a lot of post launch support. I really hope they plan on implementing what they had to leave behind to get it out the door. Such a shame.

harlekin

At 13:50 in the "Bombcast Clip Talkin' Bout Cyberpunk 2077" from Giant Bomb Jeff is also saying that he has a problem with the "attract" structure of handing out sidequests in the game, and that he thinks about it as one of the biggest issues with the game.

So that criticism of the Gamespot reviewer - seems to be justified.

(Just reached that point in the video - watching it as I'm writing this.)

Last edited:

killatopak

Gold Member

timestamped :

Huh what? Did someone say something?

Must have been the wind.

harlekin

All this information and the way CDPR is restricting reviewers to only use images provided by them are really concerning. Sounds like the game was rushed in the end and needed more time to fix bugs and improve performance.

Hope they can fix those problems in future updates. I was planning to wait anyway as I want to play this on PS5 and have too many games pending, bit it sucks for the people that has been waiting so long...
Also wrong information. But I agree on the concerning part.

They have two different embargo deadlines - one for written stuff, where you are allowed to use 'captured footage' - but only images. That ended yesterday (?).

And one for 'captured gameplay' that should end in 3.5h from now (if I remembered the time correctly).

And yes they absolutely did it for preorders. GOG newsletter nagged me with 'last chance to preorder the game', as the 'no video footage' deadline was still in place. And at a time I had already preordered the game.

They have to recoup money. :)

Also - to be fair, the 'patch situation' most of the reviewers have played on is unclear. Some of them first thought, that they were playing on the equivalent of a day 1 patch, but they never were - and then later on CDPR released an update to the patch thats still not day 1 level - so most of them dont know, what they have been playing, in terms of patch state. Its likely that the first version they've gotten access to is maybe a few weeks old.

So if you allow video footage of NPCs in game T-posing, when your last minute churn made sure, that they are not - and those go viral... 'bad move'...

But really, you are correct on this one. The issue here was time management. Bigtime. And that should not be made into 'a problem for journalists'.

Its just that most 'journalists' that matter, nowadys are useless youtubers with a clickbait attitude (thats what pays you) - so you really have to manage their experience, or hold them on a short leash - from a project management perspective.

Last edited:

Astorian

Quartering is fucking trash, not just as a Youtuber but a human being.

Again, no one needs to play and experience every aspect of the game before reviewing it, what’s next? Wanting reviewers to show proof that they platinumed the game before reviewing it? Also, all of this GameStop talk is because they gave it a lower score than the average, no one would even be talking about them if they gave it a 9.

What if the performance on release is as bad as No Mans Sky? I loved the game but probably the worst launch I’ve ever experienced.

I mean at least with CDPR you can be sure they will patch the game up in the coming months like Hello games did with NMS because that's what they always do. I'm on board since Witcher 1 and it was very rough at release (mostly bugs performance was ok ) same with Witcher 2 and 3. If you want the best experience you should wait for the inevitable Enhanced/Goty Edition of the game, release version will be rough that's a given and it would be even in a normal year without covid complicating things for them.

CloudNull

Banned
If you want the best experience you should wait for the inevitable Enhanced/Goty Edition of the game, release version will be rough that's a given and it would be even in a normal year without covid complicating things for them.
Nah fuck that. I am not missing out on the hype.

Long as the game runs I’ll take a little bit of roughness. I just hope the certain things left out intentionally from the reviews are not covering up some issues the day one patch can’t fix. I am especially worried about the base consoles. We will know for sure in the next few days.

Kadayi

Banned
Im 15 minutes in and it barely seems like he even knows what hes talking about.

he says he has an issue with the side content calling it ''hollow'' because of npcs texting him about quests which annoys him, but he wont actually go talk to these npcs to get backstory or context. that makes no sense to me. sounds like getting side quests might be a bit buggy atm

then he goes to say there is nothing like the witcher in this but apparently he doesnt like that game?

Jeff has and never will be an RPG guy. He just doesn't have the patience for them, and he doesn't give a shit about story in games, or anything really (I remember him talking once about film and TV and he's pretty much doesn't do either to any great degree). If you want an opinion of fighting games or shooters or anything reaction-based, he's your man (or used to be), but an RPG...never. His opinion isn't worth shit. People need to realise that reviewers have their specialities.

Quartering is fucking trash, not just as a Youtuber but a human being.

Again, no one needs to play and experience every aspect of the game before reviewing it, what’s next? Wanting reviewers to show proof that they platinumed the game before reviewing it? Also, all of this GameStop talk is because they gave it a lower score than the average, no one would even be talking about them if they gave it a 9.

Two statements can be right at the same time. The quartering can be trash (on that I agree he's a clickbait chaser who lacks any critical thinking skills and plays to a crowd), and that Gamespot review was unprofessional. A reviewers job is not simply to 'play the game' it's to provide you as the reader/viewer with an informed opinion on the game, it's systems, its story, it's world-building and its mechanics so you can make a purchasing decision. The reviewer in question did absolutely none of those things because she couldn't be bothered by her own admission. There's no excuse. Other reviewers who had access to the game within the same time slot managed to pack in hitting all those points and then some, as well as the bugs. Instead, she dredged up the 'Mix it up' Poster which was done to death a couple of years back as front and centre in a review that was basically an insult to both the reader as well as the hundreds of developers who spent 8 years putting the game together, because she'd rather play footsie with the maniacs at Era and loons on Twitter versus do the one thing required of someone reviewing a game, put the work in.

pogggggereree

Neo Member
Jeff has and never will be an RPG guy. He just doesn't have the patience for them, and he doesn't give a shit about story in games, or anything really (I remember him talking once about film and TV and he's pretty much doesn't do either to any great degree). If you want an opinion of fighting games or shooters or anything reaction-based, he's your man (or used to be), but an RPG...never. His opinion isn't worth shit. People need to realise that reviewers have their specialities.

Totally fair, I just don't really browse GB or look at any of Jeff's reviews, so I just wasn't sure what his deal was. Ill keep that in mind for the future.

Thanks for the context 👍 👍

Last edited:

The thing about skipping and not helping the cops, I don't see any problem with it at all. Like folks have immediately taken it as a political view, but consider we are talking about an RPG that is supposed to give you some freedom of choice by role-playing with your own character. If you just wanna be a street-kid in Cyberpunk 2077, and you wanna roleplay around your path origins, why would you want to do some "optional" cop missions? If you feel like it doesn't fit with the character you are role-playing with, you just don't do it.

Regarding the situation about this guy... The Quartering. He can say whatever to his base to hide his own ass out of controversy. The fire has already been fueled by just releasing the video and with that dumb ass thumbnail. It is just a matter of time to see the classic of classics happening.. goddman "Death Threats"; and you can look at his dumbass face knowing the moment he was telling that to his viewers that it is coming in 3, 2, 1......

Astorian

Two statements can be right at the same time. The quartering can be trash (on that I agree he's a clickbait chaser who lacks any critical thinking skills and plays to a crowd), and that Gamespot review was unprofessional. A reviewers job is not simply to 'play the game' it's to provide you as the reader/viewer with an informed opinion on the game, it's systems, its story, it's world-building and its mechanics so you can make a purchasing decision. The reviewer in question did absolutely none of those things because she couldn't be bothered by her own admission. There's no excuse. Other reviewers who had access to the game within the same time slot managed to pack in hitting all those points and then some, as well as the bugs. Instead, she dredged up the 'Mix it up' Poster which was done to death a couple of years back as front and centre in a review that was basically an insult to both the reader as well as the hundreds of developers who spent 8 years putting the game together, because she'd rather play footsie with the maniacs at Era and loons on Twitter versus do the one thing required of someone reviewing a game, put the work in.
A reviewers job is to play a game and tell you their thoughts about it, if some aspects weren’t compelling enough or they didn’t feel like they needed to do them then it’s absolutely fine, no review will talk about everything a game offers, and again that’s fine, there will be hundreds of reviews for the game and you can follow those that you think do the best job talking about everything the game has.

an insult to both the reader as well as the hundreds of developers who spent 8 years putting the game together
I hope CDPR doesn’t find out that the majority of the players don’t even finish the games they start because I’m not sure if they’d recover from all that insult, come on man.

Kadayi

Banned
A reviewers job is to play a game and tell you their thoughts about it, if some aspects weren’t compelling enough or they didn’t feel like they needed to do them then it’s absolutely fine, no review will talk about everything a game offers, and again that’s fine, there will be hundreds of reviews for the game and you can follow those that you think do the best job talking about everything the game has.

Whom exactly are you hoping to convince?

If you take your car in for an MOT, you don't expect a fail and then to find out the technician didn't do their job and check the tyres, lights, etc do you? Gamespot IIRC generally has a reputation of being pretty thorough in these things, which is why they're been around as long as they have. Do you think that half-baked review reflects well on them as a whole? As a site whose opinion you can trust as a gamer?

Quartering needs to have his channel terminated. It's full of misleading nonsense and lies all the time. Guy is the biggest piece of shit I've ever seen along with his hateful audience. I messaged the Gamespot staff personally shortly after that video went up earlier to let them know about it. Fuck that guy.
Is it because posts like this that RE is calling us Nazis? What you gonna do next, burn books?

How about just don't watch the channel if you don't like it.

Hakiroto

wait what? this is with RT off?

i literally bought the game yesterday thinking my rtx 2080 should be able to do 1440p at 60 fps with DLSS 2.0 unlike my ps5 which had a rough time with the rt in watch dogs, capping at 30 fps during night sections.

But if its this bad with rtx off im in trouble.

Haha. Yeah, I wondered the same thing. I have a 2080 Super and was hoping to play at 1440p with DLSS 2.0 and get decent FPS. :messenger_neutral:

timestamped :

Lol so the massive japanese script we saw was for...a 28 hour main quest.. gtfo

Astorian

Whom exactly are you hoping to convince?

If you take your car in for an MOT, you don't expect a fail and then to find out the technician didn't do their job and check the tyres, lights, etc do you? Gamespot IIRC generally has a reputation of being pretty thorough in these things, which is why they're been around as long as they have.
You’d maybe have a point if there was only one review for the game and everyone’s purchases depend on it, that’s not the case, again the issue is thinking reviewers should tackle everything a game offers but that was and never will be the case, anyone is allowed to give their thoughts on what THEY HAVE EXPERIENCED, when and if they start criticizing/praising parts of the game they didn’t engage with with you have every right to call them out.

Do you think that half-baked review reflects well on them as a whole? As a site whose opinion you can trust as a gamer?
I don’t think it’s half baked, just the thoughts of someone who couldn’t be bothered with certain aspects of the game due to them not being compelling/behind some grind/felt wasn’t needed in their playthrough which let’s be real we all have done in a lot of games.

NahaNago

I'm getting the feeling that this game's development kind of got away from the studio. The scope/idea of the game probably got a bit too large or they underestimated the development of the game. We know they had cut out several parts from the game like the train and the third person view. I'm guessing this game probaly needed more than the year of delays to fix it and should have released in 2022. This is all me guessing though.

TriSuit666

Banned
Quartering needs to have his channel terminated. It's full of misleading nonsense and lies all the time. Guy is the biggest piece of shit I've ever seen along with his hateful audience. I messaged the Gamespot staff personally shortly after that video went up earlier to let them know about it. Fuck that guy.

Woah, woah, woah. Chillax there, keyboard warrior.

Jeremy does a lot of calling out of YouTube's dubious business practices, and has helped other youtubers in the past who've been demonitised or had their channels deleted for spurious reasons.

But I mean, if it bothers you sooooo much, you warrior, he is on 2 copyright strikes.

skneogaf

Is video stuff allowed 10th of December?

I'm unsure if I should wait for the day one patch to be out already so I just download the patched full game, any thoughts?

Kadayi

Banned
You’d maybe have a point if there was only one review for the game and everyone’s purchases depend on it, that’s not the case, again the issue is thinking reviewers should tackle everything a game offers but that was and never will be the case, anyone is allowed to give their thoughts on what THEY HAVE EXPERIENCED, when and if they start criticizing/praising parts of the game they didn’t engage with with you have every right to call them out.

Again, whom exactly are you hoping to convince with that line of reasoning? A review operates within itself. You can't give a poorly done a review a pass because other outlets will pick up the slack. That's an absolutely insane proposition.

Last edited:

Astorian

Is video stuff allowed 10th of December?

I'm unsure if I should wait for the day one patch to be out already so I just download the patched full game, any thoughts?
The game would be out and they have no power to stop people from showing the game.

Again, whom exactly are you hoping to convince with that line of reasoning? A review operates within itself. You can't give a poorly done a review a pass because other outlets will pick up the slack. That's an absolutely insane proposition.
Just because it doesn’t follow your expectation of what a review should be it doesn’t mean it’s poor.

Last edited:

harlekin

I'm getting the feeling that this game's development kind of got away from the studio. The scope/idea of the game probably got a bit too large or they underestimated the development of the game. We know they had cut out several parts from the game like the train and the third person view. I'm guessing this game probaly needed more than the year of delays to fix it and should have released in 2022. This is all me guessing though.
Most of the criticism is actually about systems and tone though. Almost no reviewer made 'bugs' the centerpiece of their criticism. If you add to that, that the latest delay SCREAMED "need more bugfixing", it seems like thats not the main issue here.

On the tone front. "When everything is extreme - nothing is." "Its a 'my first cyberpunk story' storybook". "The character of the city is - that it has 'all the characters - it has no identity." (On city design the japanese IGN review said the opposite.) Reviewers that still see it "as another GTA".

So here is what happened from my view. Team of 300+ programmers. Serious issues on getting the games tone right because peoples concept of the game was different. Mike Pondsmith doesnt seem like the guy that 'can tell you what a certain aspect meant - in the 90s'. Keanu Reeves. Having to implement a shooter and a driving model. Delays causing the script translation not to be perfect (several months ago) - and as a result much of the 'ambition' gets cut, because "look at the timeline".

Storytelling will save it though - as it always does with CDPR games. :)

The one thing they did right is, they picked the right genre for their 'second IP'. There are so many great untold stories in the Cyberpunk universe, that are ripe to be tapped by a videogame that isnt a rail shooter (Deus Ex also barely scratched on it), that storyboarding could be hit and miss - but the hits, should still be great. :)

If you need a primer for the games problems, look at the gang design. Everyone is kaka karazy cool! With most of them feeling as if they are in the middle of an identity crisis.. ;) Except for maybe one. :)

viW3mOd.png

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
Just because it doesn’t follow your expectation of what a review should be it doesn’t mean it’s poor.

Then make the case for.

If that was a review of your game would you regard it as fair and reasonable?

Outline what the reviewer did right?

Convince me that it's a sound review, worth giving any credence to as a potential buyer

Last edited:
Comparing reviews from sites like IGN and Gamespot is useless as it's always someone different with different tastes reviewing it. Some people will give a score it in line with their personal enjoyment of the game while others will try to score it objectively as best they can. I didn't enjoy TLoU for instance but I can still see that it is a good game.

I find someone that has similar taste to me (Karak has helped me find plenty of games that I otherwise wouldn't have played for instance or Mandalore Gaming even though he normally sticks to older games) and watch their stuff. The Metacritic is useful I guess to see if the game is totally broken but even then I've enjoyed games like Greedfall, where the Metacritic is 72%, more than plenty of games with 90%+.

All in all the review process is pretty pointless these days (the score at least) as you can easily find someone doing great content about a game you are interesting in on YouTube and see if it is for you. It's not like the 90s where you were really reliant on magazine reviews and every purchase was a bit of a gamble.

People need to take some personal responsibility if they are spending £70 on a new game and take a little time to see if it's likely to be for them and not just look at a number.

remiind

Neo Member
daily reminder that video game reviews are subjective. the only objective thing about them is performance. what giant bomb said contradicts what others said. prime example.

Top Bottom