• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Daft Punk - RAM lOTl - They're nice robots, they chose to stay.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
The period between Beyond and Motherboard is baby-making territory. Then Fragments of time is like the cold shower that snaps you out of it.

That intro to Lose Yourself to Dance, and when Pharrell does his little "Guitar!". That outro to Giorgio - I half expected the slowed down distortion sound would turn into the baseline for the next track. I want to see it mixed against Superheroes.

The period between Beyond and Motherboard is baby-making territory. Then Fragments of time is like a cold shower that snaps you out of it.

I loved how the outro of Motherboard is water, almost to cleanse yourself of what you just heard, to prepare you for the next track, like ginger. Felt the same way about the last minute or so of Contact, like their music was flying past me until it all comes to a close, my mind wiped, ready for another listen.

tanuki

Touch gets better with each listen. It went from being one of the biggest WTFs to being one of the best. And Get Lucky being the song that comes after it's over is great sequencing too.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I can't get over how huge Lose Yourself To Dance is.

The drums are somewhere between something off Prince's Sign of the Times or Bowie's Let's Dance, the melody is reminiscent of If I Was Your Girlfriend (one of my favourite Prince tracks), the incredible vocoder melody with a 2Pac California Love feel, NILE RODGERS, and how relentlessly catchy the whole thing is.

Goddamn these robots.
Yeah! In some other dimension Prince sang on this track. I know they sampled Dorothy Parker, they should've called him up!

Eidan

Can't decide what the top song among these 3.

Instant Crush
Contact
Touch

All 3 are instantly recognizable when I hear them. All 3 get different emotions from me. I can listen to all 3 without getting tired.

1. Touch
2. Instant Crush
3. Contact

Contact is a distant third for me. Touch is just too brilliant, and Instant Crush is just too catchy.

bomma_man

01 Give Life Back to Music - *** Nile kills it, great intro, but not a great standalone song, doesn't really go anywhere
02 The Game of Love - * Kills all the momentum from the intro, pretty boring
03 Giorgio by Moroder - ** love Giorgio, but seems like a pastiche or tribute rather than a decent song on its own. Prefer Juan Maclean's Giorgio track.
04 Within - ** Kinda boring again. Don't really mind the soft rock production but I don't think the vocoder works in this case.
05 Instant Crush - **** Surprisingly good, thought it would be the worst track, although I don't think it really fits the album. It would work better on a Julian solo album.
06 Lose Yourself to Dance - *** Nile slays as per but Pharell's vocals are flat and lifeless.
07 Touch - NA Honestly don't know what to think. Have to admire the audacity of it though.
08 Get Lucky - **** Pharell's vocals are slightly better suited to this and the guitar is great. Love the album version intro.
09 Beyond - *** Sounds like a Discovery track played with live instruments, pretty good.
10 Motherboard - *** teeters on the edge of being easy listening for a while but an interesting composition (especially through headphones), if not a bit sterile until the last couple of minutes. Sort of what I thought their Tron soundtrack might sound like.
11 Fragments of Time - ** Really good composition in theory, but I'm not sure whether I could say that I actually like it, except for maybe the bridge.
12 Doin' It Right - *** I like Panda Bear but I'm not sure if it completely works, sounds like a mashup or remix. Still not totally decided on it.
13 Contact - ** Sounds more like Justice than anything. First transition is pretty clunky, then builds to a crappy big room drop that never comes.
Random Acces Memories - *** Production is uniformly great, but the album never comes together. It feels scattershot and in-cohesive (maybe the point of title?) without even being a singles album.

In short I don't think they'll ever make anything as great as Da Funk.

sephi22

1. Touch
2. Instant Crush
3. Contact

Contact is a distant third for me. Touch is just too brilliant, and Instant Crush is just too catchy.
I agree with you. Contact, as awesome as it is, feels the 'safest'. Like there are other albums with songs like this. Instant Crush and Touch are just batshit crazy. (Awesome)

Timo

It's amazing how much Touch has grown on me. I still don't like when Paul gets some gusto in his voice near the two and a half minute mark so much, it's a little schmaltzy, but the rest is gold. Especially the vocoding about halfway through, so damn good.

Servbot24

Banned
Hmmm... listened twice and I just can't really bear making the effort to listen a third time. It could come in handy when I need a specific kind of wallpaper music in the background... which never tends to happen because I prefer to listen to my music, but you never know

Eidan

It's amazing how much Touch has grown on me. I still don't like when Paul gets some gusto in his voice near the two and a half minute mark so much, it's a little schmaltzy, but the rest is gold. Especially the vocoding about halfway through, so damn good.

Bah. I got a fever, and the only prescription is more schmaltz.

amnesiac

Going to listen to the album again.

tumblr_mlk4ytjmJc1qbvz4xo1_500.gif

Ran rp

Listening to my favorite tracks in a playlist instead of listening to the album as a whole is a much more satisfying and coherent experience. Give Life Back to Music --> Doin' It Right --> Beyond --> Motherboard --> Touch is almost perfect. The only thing that sticks out is the transition from Doin' It Right to Beyond. I think I'll make another mini album out the rest of the tracks. This the only album I've ever chopped up, but it works better this way. Edit: I'll add Contact to this.

On another note, Fragments of Time is such a gooby track. I don't even know what that means, but it is.

If there's anything this album needs, it's more cowbell.

morecowbell.jpg

3-7 are a magical collection of tracks. They flow right together to me. I didn't realize they were 4 tracks until today (when I got the songs split up).

jett

D-Member
Lie down on your bed.
Turn off the lights.
Put on a good pair of headphones.
Close your eyes.
Put the music on full blast and listen to it from start to finish.

Undeniably the proper way to listen to RAM. This album is really something. I picked a few new details, how you can faintly hear Julian Casablancas' untouched vocals deep down below the layers of vocoder in Instant Crush. Or the subtle synth in Fragments of Time whispering on your left ear during the chorus. And I just realized the first minutes of Touch is Paul Williams during his drug addict years with his mind all fucked up looking for someone to help him, which is why it sounds so insane and deranged.

I'll say, every track offers something unique and different, and they all have a certain depth and are waiting to be explored. Except one. Doin' It Right is the odd man out because of how simple it is, but it works as a buffer before Contact.

This is honestly one of the best albums I've listened to since who knows when. I care so little about modern music these days, but RAM might be destined for classic status.

Sallokin

Lie down on your bed.
Turn off the lights.
Close your eyes.

Undeniably the proper way to listen to RAM. This album is really something. I picked a few new details, how you can faintly hear Julian Casablancas' untouched vocals deep down below the layers of vocoder in Instant Crush. Or the subtle synth in Fragments of Time whispering on your left ear during the chorus. And I just realized the first minutes of Touch is Paul Williams during his drug addict years with his mind all fucked up looking for someone to help him, which is why it sounds so insane and deranged.

I'll say, every track offers something unique and different, and they all have a certain depth and are waiting to be explored. Except one. Doin' It Right is the odd man out because of how simple it is, but it works as a buffer before Contact.

This is honestly one of the best albums I've listened to since who knows when. I care so little about modern music these days, but RAM might be destined for classic status.

Fully agree. Even the simple things like the way the C'mons in Give Yourself to Dance bounce from each channel and also rise. There's a lot of brilliant production.

So, just finished my first playthrough. I can't wait for the album to drop, and future possible remix album or live album.
I can't even imagine hearing these songs live... oh man...

Also love that little guitar lick in Give Life Back To Music which is straight out of MJ's Another Part of Me.

I knew.. KNEW I recognized it from somewhere!!! Captain EO!

jett

D-Member
Fully agree. Even the simple things like the way the C'mons in Give Yourself to Dance bounce from each channel and also rise. There's a lot of brilliant production.

I love the layers of stereo effects in Lose Yourself to Dance too. Just awesome. The production, mastering, playing... the everything in RAM is top notch. We won't see something like this again for a long ass time.

I love the layers of stereo effects in Lose Yourself to Dance too. Just awesome. The production, mastering, playing... the everything in RAM is top notch. We won't see something like this again for a long ass time.

totally agree. I'm just amazed. Haven't been moved by an album like this in a long time.

Daft Punk will remove their helmets to reveal they are Bill & Ted and all the nations beat their weapons into plowshares to usher in a new era of peace.

RoKKeR

I tend to agree. The production quality here is top notch, you don't see a lot of material quite on this level.

Rezbit

Just had my first listen to the whole album. I found it meanders a bit. It's very well performed musically and very well produced but it just never really leaves 2nd gear for me. Really liked the back-end though, particularly Motherboard, Fragments of Time and Contact. Motherboard is probably my favourite.

Also, I really wish they used the orchestra hit at the start of Beyond a LOT more in that song!

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Doin' it Right is my most repeated so far, stuck in my head completely. I atleast like every song which is a great achievement for the album as a whole.

Permanently A

Didn't like the album as much as I thought I would. It all sounded quite similar. Giorgio's song is the high point for me. Though my favorite Daft Punk album is HAA, so maybe this Daft Punk album isn't for me.

Lie down on your bed.
Turn off the lights.
Close your eyes.

Absolutely agree with this. Full volume with headphones is amazing. I noticed the echo of Panda Bear's voice playing very subtly undernearth the synth voice intro, before he actually starts singing. Lot's of cool stuff like that bit leading into Touch.

bomma_man

"This daft punk album would probably be really good to take drugs and listen to on a rainy bridge across the gulf of mexico but I dnt know ... Reminds me of when I was 19 really high and listened to kid a over and over again but I don't know if yung kids will get It ... I think the song with julian casablancas would be better with marky mark walbergs character from boogie nights doing the vocals ... The song with todd edwards makes me feel like I'm alone at waffle house and the jukebox is broken and only micheal mcdonald plays out of it ... Motherboard sounds like a coked up austrian guy working on chariots of fire soundtrack then got fired but I fuck with it."

-Diplo

lol

dmshaposv

This is why aI think touch is genius. It is paul williams coming out of a drug-infused coma. The only thing he remebers is a sensory feeling,

Fragments of time is todd edwards great moments recording with the robots. Sounds cheery and nostalgic. Bunch of old buddies recording together.

Giorgio is amazing especially once giorgio talks about how harmony preconceptions didnt matter and how he wasnt told anything and we move from synths to full string orchestra. Them feels.

Contact is a failed rocket launch.

This album is wackkkkk. The disco fused pharell tracks are gorgeous productions, to attract the hoi polloi. But clearly, the album as a whole is much much more.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
As much as I liked Homework I can't sit down and listen to it completely it's very samey and I get exhausted quickly. Both Discovery and RAM offer much more variety in their tracks, I can listen to those 2 in one sit no problems.

Top Bottom