• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Daft Punk - RAM lOTl - They're nice robots, they chose to stay.

-GJ-

Has the first leak been discussed here ?

These guys have big balls (or very good lawyers), they twitted the leak just before the start of the streaming by itunes... Here's the link, because the download is not available anymore.

https://twitter.com/edm/status/333996831291895809

And yes, it was a 192kbps mp3 version of the album.

Lots of people tweeted about that link. I tweeted about it when I found it on /mu/, and a lot of people on my timeline quickly followed. There wasn't really any harm done though, since it got up on iTunes ~30-45 minutes later, in better quality.

edit: I tweeted about it 16 minutes before that tweet. I don't think they are the ones who leaked it. They just spread the link that was floating around on /mu/.

Phillip E.

Neo Member
I find this obsession with ranking to be an odd way of thinking about an artist's body of work. Each album does not exist in a vacuum and it is the culmination of the work that should be observed. Then again, art (especially music) is steeped in consumerism (unfortunately) and the need to place things on a linear scale seems to be inevitable. If I have misunderstood and all of you are simply referring to how many times you have listened to each album then, well, you can accuse me of over-thinking things.

Anyway, I have definitely been enjoying Random Access Memories.

vulva

What exactly does this mean?

The lineage means that it wasn't directly ripped from the player but rather off a feed from the vinyl.

Most vinyl rips use a USB player, this one used a USB recorder they attached to a regular vinyl player which means there's going to be some serious inconsistencies.

javac

Touch is great but I don't know, I always feel burned out by the end. It's like a sensory overload. I love the end however.

I need something more

Then dat Get Lucky plays straight after.

tanuki

Man, I totally understand why people don't like this album.

But if you like the type of music that influenced the songs, this album is so good.

Floex

I find this obsession with ranking to be an odd way of thinking about an artist's body of work. Each album does not exist in a vacuum and it is the culmination of the work that should be observed. Then again, art (especially music) is steeped in consumerism (unfortunately) and the need to place things on a linear scale seems to be inevitable. If I have misunderstood and all of you are simply referring to how many times you have listened to each album then, well, you can accuse me of over-thinking things.

You're definitely overthinking things but it's definitely not reason you stated at the end. It's a quick reference to which albums people prefer. I think we can say there is quite a vast difference in sound between each album and some people resonate better with certain ones.

jtb

Banned
People like different things, and people like some of those various things more than others. Rankings are just a quick and easy way of expressing that.

Dreaver

Instant Crush and Beyond are slowly starting to become my favorite songs... So good.
Normally I don't care a lot about speakers (mine are pretty low quality) but this album makes such a huge difference when you're listening with good quality headphones.

I agree ranking is stupid, but I'll do it anyways. I love all albums.

Discovery = Random Access Memories > Alive '07 > Homework >>> Human After All.

I'm not yet sure, but I think RAM will top Discovery for me. I love all songs from RAM, Discovery has a few songs that don't a lot for me, but it also has a few classics for me (Face to Face, Superheroes, Digital Love).

Divius

The lineage means that it wasn't directly ripped from the player but rather off a feed from the vinyl.

Most vinyl rips use a USB player, this one used a USB recorder they attached to a regular vinyl player which means there's going to be some serious inconsistencies.
Right, thanks.

They're coming out at different times of my life. Homework came out in college/university. My body was ready. Was a soundtrack of more than a few semesters. It fit.

Now that I'm old (-er...34), RAM's mellower feel...melancholy feel...but, triumphant in parts feel...let's be honest, the DP guys are older, too. It's a natural progression a bit.

We'll always have and need to listen to Homework, etc, but, RAM is an important followup to it.

octagon69

Banned
This is the worst thing they have ever put out. Not terrible to listen to but very Meh.

It's official, they're has-beens. Oh well, nothing good lasts forever.

Have fun living in denial kids who were 7 when discovery came out and are trying to be cool.

yogloo

Invent time machine. Go back in time. Get song into 2001: A Space Odyssey.

tumblr_m7yfon9GoQ1qeh4lio1_500.gif

Holy crap. This loops perfectly with Giorgio. Fucking trippy.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
This is the worst thing they have ever put out. Not terrible to listen to but very Meh.

Have fun living in denial kids who were 7 when discovery came out and are trying to be cool.
Hard to imagine a more obnoxious post.

Listening to it over and over again, and some of these tracks just seem liek the biggest tribute to MJ , specifically OTW and Thriller. Even so far as to getting a guitarist who worked on OTW on GLBTM. Obviously the album font is the thriller album font but this whole album has Michael Jackson written all over it. Awesome album.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp

Jennifer-Lawrence-ok-thumbs-up.gif

Eidan

HA.

Hystzen

I was 9 when Homework was released so nope

thanks for drive by trolling trying sound special for saying anti negative post in a thread full of postive

Servbot24

Banned
Daft Punk said interviews that contemporary rock is bad with the exceptions of The Strokes and MGMT. If that alone doesn't make them has-beens, I don't know what else could.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Julian's vocals on instant crush are really really good. Like he's channeling Joni Mitchell if she was a robot...

I'm not feeling it as much as i'd hoped. Some tracks are amazing however, such as Contact and that Gorgio one. Others however are very strange, some of them sound like the beginning of an opera and some sound like a Barry White single without the words.

jett

D-Member

:lol You're the one that resembles that description.

gdt

This is a really brave album to put out after 8 years. Most People wanted more Alive 2007 sounding material.

Hell i wanted that too .

Love this though.

Raiden

Banned
Checking in once a day in this thread is hilariously and interesting. It proves that this album is a grower and thats how i love my albums/songs. All of my favorite songs ever are songs i did not particulary like first time hearing. And most of the songs that i love from 1st hearing i get bored with after a while.

Note: I have only heard Get Lucky. Tomorrow i'll finally be hearing the rest of the songs. cant wait!

Eidan

There were those who balked when I asked if Touch was a great Daft Punk song, or the greatest.

Soon you people will see the light.

wow holy shit.. I don't even

JaseMath

I keep listening to Touch. Some crazy production going on there...it's like listening to Sgt. Pepper for the first time.

I can't believe that I've actually come to like the monologue. I thought it would get tiring after a few listens but now I actually view it as a part of the song.

Fuck, this album is amazing. Not one bad song.

DP outdid themselves.

jtb

Banned
Casablancas voice is hit or miss. Plus the new Strokes album was pretty underwhelming. I don't blame Daft Punk for putting his voice through the vocoder; I love the way it sounds on Instant Crush.

And I imagine Casablancas collaborated on the song too, and wasn't just a for-hire voice, so I'd assume that's why the got him on board.

Top Bottom