• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Daft Punk - RAM lOTl - They're nice robots, they chose to stay.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
pretty great background

ibxw7j3g89NVGq.png

jett

D-Member
Casablancas voice is hit or miss. Plus the new Strokes album was pretty underwhelming. I don't blame Daft Punk for putting his voice through the vocoder; I love the way it sounds on Instant Crush.

And I imagine Casablancas collaborated on the song too, and wasn't just a for-hire voice, so I'd assume that's why the got him on board.

Yep Instant Crush has Casablancas' mitts all over it. I love how his voice sounds through the vocoder btw.

lolno

I'll take each of Give Life Back To Music, Giorgio, Lose Yourself To Dance, Instant Crush, Get Lucky, Doin' It Right and Contact over Touch.

Doin' it Right is easily the weakest track in the album.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
1. touch
2. giorgio by moroder
3. beyond
4. give life back to music
5. instant crush

my top 5

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
the drums in this album are amazing, they sound so clean and crisp. hope they never go back to sampled music, would feel like a massive step back.

overcast

This is the worst thing they have ever put out. Not terrible to listen to but very Meh.

It's official, they're has-beens. Oh well, nothing good lasts forever.

Have fun living in denial kids who were 7 when discovery came out and are trying to be cool.
Lol. It's okay to not like something man. I'm worried you have some problem with us though.

jtb

Banned
Get Lucky is the worst song on the album. Lose Yourself to Dance should've been the first single, but I guess they didn't want the hype to peak too early.

I'm also a Touch hater.

dmshaposv

Newp. Take your pick between Game of Love, Within, Beyond.

Doin' It Right is also *the* most infectious song on the album.

This i can agree with.

Game of Love is plain boring. I just skip it now. Within is meh and beyond im indifferent towards.

Doin it right isnt perfect, but is much better than those.

PBY

Banned
Lol every bit of mysic in this album is cheesy. Touch being the champion of it and pulling it off in grand style.
Pretty much.
Touch is cheesy and awful. It's also about as subtle as a dog ripping your face off. The lyrics are terrible.
And pretty much.

I really love this album, but depending on my mood I either love the cheese or am put off by it. Touch is the worst offender, especially when the horns kick in.

Eidan

touch
i remember touch
pictures came with touch
a painter in my mind
tell me what you see
a tourist in a dream
a visitor it seems
a half forgotten song
where do i belong
tell me what you see
i need something more

kiss
suddenly alive
happiness arrive
hunger like a storm
how do i begin
a room within a room
a door behind a door
touch where do you lead
i need something more
tell me what you see
i need something more

touch
sweet touch
you've given me too much to feel
sweet touch
you've almost convinced me i'm real
i need something more
i need something more

Deserves to be on every page.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Pitchfork Cover Story Outtakes

Thomas Bangalter on drummer Omar Hakim's playing on the second half of "Giorgio by Moroder": "I remember going to him and humming this really complicated drum and bass programming and he's like, 'Like this?' [makes drum noises] He's doing it exactly like I hummed but like 10 times beyond. It felt like, 'Whoa! What have we been missing being limited by our own programming skills?' He probably only did two takes for that part."

guess the guys are seeing what they've been missing.

Giorgio Moroder on telling his 23-year-old son about his plans to initially meet Daft Punk two years ago: "He had gone to see them at Coachella as a teenager and loved it so much. So when I told him that I was going to have lunch with them, he said, 'I have to come.' I said, 'I don’t know if they want you there.' But he said, 'I don’t care, I'm coming with you.' [laughs] He was so impressed-- now, suddenly, I am somebody to him."

Nile Rodgers on the creative role of a producer/composer: "You can always visualize a producer the same way you would think of Beethoven-- he can write the Ninth Symphony, but he needs a symphony orchestra to play it. So if you're the composer, or the creator, or the curator, or whatever the hell you want to call it, that's what your job is: to give the public the finished work. I like to be thought of as a virtuoso, and I also want to hire virtuosos to do the creative parts that I've constructed. And that's what Daft Punk have done impeccably with this album. The highest form of composing is when your ego is out of the way."

Nile Rodgers on his ability to essentially play both lead and rhythm guitar parts at the same time: "When I was producing a record with Eric Clapton once, I was sitting in the control room and playing the full arrangement for him. I wasn't actually playing what I was going to play on guitar or what he was going to play, but rather an overview of both. After I did it, Eric looked at me and said, 'Nile, what the hell am I going to play?' I laughed and said, 'Man, I'm showing you the whole arrangement, but believe me, I'm not going to play that-- that sounds corny as shit to me. It's the full song, but it's not funky.' But Clapton thought it sounded hip."

Chilly Gonzales on the potential impact of Random Access Memories: "It will lead many musicians out of the cul-de-sac they currently face. And those that do not understand will be cursed to make disposable music on laptops forever."

jett

D-Member
My favorite could actually be Give Life Back to Music. Definitely the grooviest track, and it has the best Rodgers licks.

Newp. Take your pick between Game of Love, Within, Beyond.

Doin' It Right is also *the* most infectious song on the album.

Welp, opinions and all that.

i can appreciate people enjoying this album even though i don't, and it's certainly not terrible, but people saying its better than either homework or discovery after a few listens are just victims of the hype train.

like when people thought mgs4 or gta 4 were good at the time.

Eidan

i can appreciate people enjoying this album even though i don't, and it's certainly not terrible, but people saying its better than either homework or discovery after a few listens are just victims of the hype train.

I definitely put it over Homework. Easily. It's Discovery I'm still wrestling with.

Snakeyes

Lose Yourself To Dance is the best track on the album, IMO. Simple, funky, catchy as hell and feels like an awesome spontaneous jam session. <3

jett

D-Member
Thomas Bangalter on drummer Omar Hakim's playing on the second half of "Giorgio by Moroder": "I remember going to him and humming this really complicated drum and bass programming and he's like, 'Like this?' [makes drum noises] He's doing it exactly like I hummed but like 10 times beyond. It felt like, 'Whoa! What have we been missing being limited by our own programming skills?' He probably only did two takes for that part."

Dat live drumming. They really won't ever go back to sampled music and drum machines.

Solo

I think my ratings are

1. Contact
2. Give Music Back To Life
3. Get Lucky
4. Lose Yourself To Dance
5. Giorgio By Morodor
6. Doin' It Right
7. Instant Crush

*gap*

8. Touch
9. Fragments Of Time
10. Motherboard

*gap*

11. Within
12. Beyond
13. The Game Of Love

Nile Rodgers is BY FAR the most successful collaborator.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016

When music or games become objective get at me.

Top Bottom