• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Daft Punk - RAM lOTl - They're nice robots, they chose to stay.

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
Moroder or Contact is probably the best song they've ever done.

I wouldn't go that far, but then again i like their Alive 2007 release the best.

I really like these 2 songs though. I just wish Contact built up to something, like it seems like it would.

Yeah I've listened to Moroder like 50 times now and it is just fantastic. Just a big shit eating grin on my face the whole time.

Super excited to see where they go from here with their music.

SKINNER!

Banned
Feels like a rushed cash in overall. The massive upfront marketing makes me feel they didn't have much faith in it themselves.

Interesting interview on Spin about the development process.

Spin said:
Did you have digital versions of the songs before you went to the studio with the musicians?

Thomas Bangalter: In 2008, we locked ourselves in a studio and created a kind of blueprint for the songs on the album. You can't hear anything from these demo versions on the record, but we used the compositions and harmonic structures as a starting point as a kind of first layer for the further recordings. Then we got the best session musicians and best performers we could get, and went with them into the best studios.

Would you say this is the album that you've learned the most from?

Thomas Bangalter: This album was the one that took us the longest to make, so in this regard you could also say that it was the record we learned the most from. It was the most difficult one to make, we had to do a lot of research and learn how to place microphones and how to do overdubs. After all, besides Tron, this was the first album we didn't produce at home. But we like to feel like beginners. It's what keeps us excited.

Source: http://www.spin.com/articles/daft-punk-random-access-memories-kraftwerk-bangalter-homem-christo-interview/

Ran rp

You're listening to the wrong 00s stuff and only listening to the good 70s & 80s stuff.

Huh? 00s have the most variety and most unique artists ever.

Especially since the internet allows for far more discovery and influence than the radio/tv will ever provide.

Nah, not really. I have listened to my fair share of 00's music and my tastes definitely go to the 60's/70's and 80's. Opinions differ. I just do not really like the music that is being released nowadays, with the exception of a few like JT's 20/20 experience and Trance.

But I'm from Holland. You are pretty much forced to love Trance in our country :lol

That's about as mainstream as you can go. That's not even close to looking at the bigger picture of all music released in the past two decades.

dvdjamm

375103_10151424357771914_151238404_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/djfalcon?directed_target_id=0

Ran rp

I've warmed up to Julian Casablancas' voice on Instant Crush and it's pretty good now. It was really off-putting the first few times I listened to it. Pharrell's too, to an extent, but it's mostly because I haven't heard anyone else sing LYtD yet so I'm just used to it.

shuri

Banned
Interesting, it seems that people who discovered with the band with Alive 2007 or Discovery were expecting a more dance'ish album and feel really letdown while fans from the Homework days love the album.

Considering Homework has a super wide variety of style of tracks just like RAM and was essential an hommage album to people they liked at the time (there's a whole track where its a robotic voice naming various dj and artists), R.A.M is like the grown up version of Homework; and even back then opinions about Homework were split.

Homework was more raw electronic, while R.A.M is more soulful and it fits with the evolution of DP's sound over the years.

In Homework, they were 'learning', now in R.A.M, 15+ years later, they are remembering their old days.

Ran rp

This is album is such a slow burner. It's growing on me with every listen.

The entire second half is perfect. The first would be too but Within, Instant Crush, and Lose Yourself to Dance still kill it for me.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Instant crush and lose yourself to the dance are probably my favourites on this album.

Listening to Homework now and goddamn it really is a contrast. Still fantastic though after all these years.

First listen (in random order because that's how I do albums).

So far

Amazeballs:
-Giorgio by Moroder
-Instant Crush
-Doin' It Right

watdafuq:
-Touch

My Ears Bleed:
-Contact

Ran rp

Discovery > RAM > Homework > HAA

Give it some time and RAM may even dethrone Discovery for me. I need to listen to Discovery again though.

Edit:

It's getting worse for me, the shimmer of first listen is already old and I'm left with some pretty dull songs :(

It really let me down on the first listen because it wasn't what I wanted, but I love it for what it is now.

what the flying fuck

That is so wrong.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
PSY・S;57737552 said:
Discovery > RAM > Homework > HAA

Give it some time and RAM may even dethrone Discovery for me. I need to listen to Discovery again though.

Whao, seriously?

That's quite a turnaround.

Ran rp

Whao, seriously?

That's quite a turnaround.

Hahah yeah. One of the things that I love about Daft Punk is how they try to change it up after every album. Even though RAM didn't go in the exact direction I wanted it to, and even though it doesn't give me the same highs as Discovery and Homework, it's still a great album. And the production is just ridiculous. That alone gives it a massive bump over their older, sample-heavy work.

same pretty much so far but I don't call HAA so crap like most people I just find it weak for DP but it still interesting

I love HAA but yeah, it's still their weakest album. It's easier to listen to in one sitting than Homework though.

Cronnie

Album is certainly growing on me too now that I've given it time.

I let the music in, then I lost myself to dance, DP are doin' it right.

Stoze

PSY・S;57736588 said:

The entire second half is perfect. The first would be too but Within, Instant Crush, and Lose Yourself to Dance still kill it for me.

Pretty much have the exact same sentiment towards the album. The front half is growing on me with more listens, but I don't think I will ever like Within, and Instant Crush is just okay.

I'd rank their albums: Alive 07 > Discovery > Homework > RAM > Alive 97 > Tron > HAA

vulva

Not sure if it's been posted yet but the lineage of the vinyl:

Transcoded from 24bit FLAC with dBpoweramp & LAME3.98r

Stanton T.62 (Stanton 500 V3 cartridge) -> Traktor S4 USB audio interface -> Audacity

solarus

PSY・S;57736588 said:

Whaaat, instant crush is my favourite song on the album. Lose yourself to dance is good too, that guitar!

tanuki

Instant Crush is so good.

The decending melodies on the chorus and those synths together is just bliss.
And the stupid robot falsetto at the end is brilliant.

Could maybe be the Digital Love of this album. Not as good, but somewhere in that melodic sphere.

Floex

Such a grower of an album. Was very taken back on first listen but for me it seems to get better and better each time I go back to it. The drumming on Giorgio by Moroder and Contact is such an incredible sound listening through headphones, the production values are spot on. Game Of Love and Within are really the only two I'm not that fond of. I still like them but the vocals let it all down.

The Waa Waa launch, are they streaming it at all? Would love to hear what Giorgio and Contact sound live *drools*

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Holy shit i just heard get lucky for the first time, that sounds straight out of Motown :eek:, I could imagine Jackson singing it.

Instant Crush is so good.

The decending melodies on the chorus and those synths together is just bliss.
And the stupid robot falsetto at the end is brilliant.

Could maybe be the Digital Love of this album. Not as good, but somewhere in that melodic sphere.

That falsetto is wonderful, you're right.

grkazan12

Such a grower of an album. Was very taken back on first listen but for me it seems to get better and better each time I go back to it. The drumming on Giorgio by Moroder and Contact is such an incredible sound listening through headphones, the production values are spot on. Game Of Love and Within are really the only two I'm not that fond of. I still like them but the vocals let it all down.

The Waa Waa launch, are they streaming it at all? Would love to hear what Giorgio and Contact sound live *drools*

I love reading all of the opinions in this thread, it's really interesting to see the enormous variety found in people's most favorite and disliked songs.

I highly recommend listening to the album while driving, some really awesome songs to drive to on this album. Fragments of Time is a perfect road trip song, definitely feel and love the Michael McDonald/Doobie Brothers vibe on that track.

Studio Album Rankings : Discovery > RAM > Homework > Human After All

tanuki

So, are the high hats at the end Get Lucky programmed or have they just quantized the real drumming like crazy?

Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Lol

Top Bottom