• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Daft Punk - RAM lOTl - They're nice robots, they chose to stay.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I hope that when they do eventually tour, they ditch the pyramid and trade it in for a disco ball.

For as on the nose as that it, it could be such a spectacle.

I definitely put it over Homework. Easily. It's Discovery I'm still wrestling with.

i tried to listen to it again at work, but just couldn't. then i put discovery on and grinned ear to ear. nothing on this album, even the stand outs, even approach the greatness of stuff like digital love, veridis quo, harder, better, faster, stronger, or one more time.

and certainly nothing comes close to face to face.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
oh come on. i know they're not objective, but there is a line.
Wheres the line? Where you put it down?
i tried to listen to it again at work, but just couldn't. then i put discovery on and grinned ear to ear. nothing on this album, even the stand outs, even approach the greatness of stuff like digital love, veridis quo, harder, better, faster, stronger, or one more time.

I think comparing this to their other albums is probably not a great idea anyway. Very different sound. Different genre. Different all around. I like Discovery, Homework and RAM.

Wheres the line? Where you put it down?

I think comparing this to their other albums is probably not a great idea anyway. Very different sound. Different genre. Different all around. I like Discovery, Homework and RAM.

well, if everything is 100% subjective then why bother with reviews, critics, and everything that goes with that. there is a certain level of objectivity that goes with every medium. there are bad movies, there are just plain bad albums, and there are certainly terrible video games. of course i'm not grouping RAM into this. but anyway this is trailing off topic.

but if we can't compare this to discovery, then what can we compare it to? the jackie brown soundtrack? c'mon man, every bands new album is always compared to their past albums, this is the way it works and always has worked. even if it sounds different, it's still daft punk.

Touch is some next-level self-indulgent nonsense.

couldn't agree more, the song escapes up it's own arse.

IceCold

Dat live drumming. They really won't ever go back to sampled music and drum machines.

No way, They may not use drum machines as much anymore but there's no way they are done with sampling altogether. Even RAM has a sample and a song or two use a drum machine.

Fifty

I still think the Alive 2007 Face to Face/HBFS remix is my favorite Daft Punk track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VpgWEL11pI

After listening to this I can't really get excited about tracks like Touch and Instant Crush.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Given the album a couple listens now. So many great tracks, but man Giorgio by Moroder literally rocks my balls off. Not figuratively, literally. I don't know what that means yet but I'm determined to find out. Those drums towards the end....

DJ88

Touch might just end up being the best song Daft Punk has ever made.

Let me add that listening to this album in the car, particularly if you're driving in places with palm trees and water, makes it even better. I'm thinking about getting a sub in order to do those kicks and bass guitars justice.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
well, if everything is 100% subjective then why bother with reviews, critics, and everything that goes with that. there is a certain level of objectivity that goes with every medium. there are bad movies, there are just plain bad albums, and there are certainly terrible video games. of course i'm not grouping RAM into this. but anyway this is trailing off topic.

but if we can't compare this to discovery, then what can we compare it to? the jackie brown soundtrack? c'mon man, every bands new album is always compared to their past albums, this is the way it works and always has worked. even if it sounds different, it's still daft punk.
Rather than giving your opinion you claimed that the anyone who thought this album was better was on the hype train. That's past an opinion. That's imposing your thoughts onto someone else. You want to review it fine.

That's not a review. You saying it is not as good is one thing. You saying that someone else who thinks it is good or better is on the hype train is another.

-GJ-

Alive 2007 is so good that it justified human after all's existence.

I'm pretty sure they made those tracks with the remixes in mind. Of course, you wouldn't hear them say that, but the remixes are way too good to be 'accidental' mashups.

overcast

Question is, how will they remix some of these songs? I love the album, but for sure some of these will be tough to dance to. I'm sure they have a plan.

Question is, how will they remix some of these songs? I love the album, but for sure some of these will be tough to dance to. I'm sure they have a plan.

this also perplexes me. i mean, human after all wasn't great because alot of the tracks on there were way too repetitive, but the actual riffs from pretty much every song on the album were good, they just didn't go anywhere with them.

the alive album took those great riffs and mixed them into other classic dp and well, what do you know it was fantastic. i can't see this happening for RAM, but, well if they pull it off i'll be ecstatic.

personally i'd like to see them shove more Tron rather than RAM into the next live album. way more suited to an arena, stuff like derezzed and end of line is pure gold.

mjc

It kinda blows my mind how many people love Touch. I think it's the worst track on the album. Different strokes I suppose!

daviyoung

Banned

Criticism is as much an artform as the artform it's critiquing. There are no objective opinions, just what each person can bring to the table in terms of knowledge, taste, experience and interest. One man's trash is another man's treasure and all of that, it deserves to be celebrated. Not confined with ideas of objectivity like it's all a binary science, it completely removes the point of the exercise: that everything you consume is completely, totally personal.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
I think when Daft Punk tour next, they'll be playing physical instruments with a backing band. It fits with the new aesthetic and the way they're trying to distance themselves from current mainstream dance music.

Ran rp

i can appreciate people enjoying this album even though i don't, and it's certainly not terrible, but people saying its better than either homework or discovery after a few listens are just victims of the hype train.

like when people thought mgs4 or gta 4 were good at the time.

Hahahah.

gdt

I think when Daft Punk tour next, they'll be playing physical instruments with a backing band. It fits with the new aesthetic and the way they're trying to distance themselves from current mainstream dance music.

IIRC, they said the opposite. They'll do more of a Alive type tour. Playing the whole catalog again. Plus we know they're remixing RAM on their own.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
IIRC, they said the opposite. They'll do more of a Alive type tour. Playing the whole catalog again. Plus we know they're remixing RAM on their own.
Where did they say that? I know they said a tour would be based on their entire catalogue, but that doesn't mean much. You could do great live renditions of a lot of their past tracks.

gdt

Chilly Gonzales on the potential impact of Random Access Memories: "It will lead many musicians out of the cul-de-sac they currently face. And those that do not understand will be cursed to make disposable music on laptops forever."

groannnnnnnnnnnn

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I can see Touch as an objectively great song, but I can see why people don't want Daft Punk making music like that.

I love how polarizing this album is.

Touch is fantastic. I wouldn't want a whole album from them with tracks like that but it works here and I'm happy it exists.

DominoKid

Interesting, it seems that people who discovered with the band with Alive 2007 or Discovery were expecting a more dance'ish album and feel really letdown while fans from the Homework days love the album.

Considering Homework has a super wide variety of style of tracks just like RAM and was essential an hommage album to people they liked at the time (there's a whole track where its a robotic voice naming various dj and artists), R.A.M is like the grown up version of Homework; and even back then opinions about Homework were split.

Homework was more raw electronic, while R.A.M is more soulful and it fits with the evolution of DP's sound over the years.

In Homework, they were 'learning', now in R.A.M, 15+ years later, they are remembering their old days.

see I knew Daft Punk primarily off Discovery (the movie really) and I got into them musically w/ Alive 07. i expected more Get Lucky style songs, but i'm beyond pleased w/ how RAM turned out.

i just try not to judge artists on what i expect. but rather how much i like what they've given to me. the bias of expectation is a motherfucker.

sn: I saw the Hercules love a few pages back. i've always wanted to like them but i cant stand the vocals on their tracks.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
igOMyJNxfKcif.gif

the gif that epitomizes this thread.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Yep, I really didn't get it at first and then the back half kicked in and I was all about it.

I guess for people that like prog-music (prog-rock mainly in my case) the song is easy to digest, we are used to songs like Touch with multiple shifts in style and long songs that take awhile to build up. I mean it didn't take multiple listens for me to like it right away, first listen and I already loved it.

gdt

Listen to Rollin and Scratchin, then listen to Touch.

These guys are getting old haha.

Its hard to notice because to most of us they'll always be ageless because of the robot suits.

i can appreciate people enjoying this album even though i don't, and it's certainly not terrible, but people saying its better than either homework or discovery after a few listens are just victims of the hype train.

like when people thought mgs4 or gta 4 were good at the time.

More projection.

Hype has no effect on how I perceive music. When I press play, the heavenly vibrations flow through my ear canal and my brain responds by saying 'damn son, this is some good shit, give me more'. So I oblige.

I also wouldn't hesitate on betting that this album will feature on many top ten lists in a few years. It's not going to disappear. I've got a good grasp of the top notes, but now I'm picking up on the base notes, catching the subtleties in the sounds -- and I'm liking it. A lot.

Also, that gif is hilarious, Wenis.

Top Bottom