• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dallas - Fort Worth |OT| The Big D & Cowtown

In the 3 years I've lived here, winter has been pretty mild to me. Although that's coming from Nebraska soooo yeah. 40s and 50s even isn't cold to me :p

Anyway seems like a few new homeowners so congrats. I bought a town home in Lewisville last month and have way too much space for just myself. Looked on Craigslist for potential roommates and backed out in like 10 seconds lol.

Aeana

In the 3 years I've lived here, winter has been pretty mild to me. Although that's coming from Nebraska soooo yeah. 40s and 50s even isn't cold to me :p

The last several years, it feels like it has alternated between acceptably wintry for the south and too warm. February 2011 was awesome. Last year was great, too. It was consistently below freezing and we had snow that lasted for a while.

Pagusas

Elden Member

Anyway seems like a few new homeowners so congrats. I bought a town home in Lewisville last month and have way too much space for just myself. Looked on Craigslist for potential roommates and backed out in like 10 seconds lol.

Me too bud. The house my wife and I just purchased is 4 bedrooms, 4 bathrooms and 2990 sqft. And its just the two of us, lol.

The last several years, it feels like it has alternated between acceptably wintry for the south and too warm. February 2011 was awesome. Last year was great, too. It was consistently below freezing and we had snow that lasted for a while.
I miss this. I really miss snow :(

Pagusas

Elden Member

Maybe I'm jaded from moving here from northern Illinois, but I'd happily never see snow again. After the winter of 2102/2013, Id be happy to never hear of "polar vortexes" or 3 feet of snow, or 15 days strait of -10 degree highs. Yuck

sethbot

What's annoying about the weather recently is how it's 40 degrees in the morning, but then jumps all the way up to 70s by the afternoon. I wish it would be either hot or cold, and stick with it the whole day.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Haha, yes I have and hopefully I will in the future. I really do love Texas, and would miss it sorely, but I hate how hot it gets here.

Thats fully understandable, thats somewhat how I felt with Illinois, except for the cold rather than the heat. When its 110 out we can still go to a mall, explore new restaurants or indoor places. When there is 3 feet of snow on the ground you cant do any of that.

We do miss the tall trees and deeply colorful falls though (but In Illinois fall lasted all of 2 weeks before it was brown and ugly just like texas is now, so we werent given much up there).

Thats fully understandable, thats somewhat how I felt with Illinois, except for the cold rather than the heat. When its 110 out we can still go to a mall, explore new restaurants or indoor places. When there is 3 feet of snow on the ground you cant do any of that.

We do miss the tall trees and deeply colorful falls though (but In Illinois fall lasted all of 2 weeks before it was brown and ugly just like texas is now, so we werent given much up there).

If you miss the trees then drive to east Texas. They have tons (and I mean tons) of trees that light up in the fall time. Grabbing a cabin at Tyler State Park during the fall is great.

The downfall is most towns average 1,000 people though lol

woodchuck

Anyone check out rodeo goat? I never went to the one in Fort Worth but they opened one last week in dallas. It's fantastic for burgers

If you miss the trees then drive to east Texas. They have tons (and I mean tons) of trees that light up in the fall time. Grabbing a cabin at Tyler State Park during the fall is great.

That or just head down south to Stephenville/Glen Rose/Cleburne. I was there a couple of weeks ago during an impromptu DFW Miata meet and the scenery was really nice even though it was pretty grey and wet. The roads were pretty nice as well, lots of twisties and long straights with no cops... so let's just say it was a real fun time haha.

Pagusas

Elden Member

That or just head down south to Stephenville/Glen Rose/Cleburne. I was there a couple of weeks ago during an impromptu DFW Miata meet and the scenery was really nice even though it was pretty grey and wet. The roads were pretty nice as well, lots of twisties and long straights with no cops... so let's just say it was a real fun time haha.

Thank you both! We will be planning some field trips now!

JMDSO

Unconfirmed Member
My biggest disappointment after moving here in 2009 from CT was that Christmas didn't feel like Christmas without the cold and snow. I have a lot of good memories of Christmas shopping that I can't replicate because of the climate and it kinda bums me out.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Throw me in the group that wants the cold, our winter is being stolen! Glad I decided not to buy a new coat this year though.

Pagusas

Elden Member
My biggest disappointment after moving here in 2009 from CT was that Christmas didn't feel like Christmas without the cold and snow. I have a lot of good memories of Christmas shopping that I can't replicate because of the climate and it kinda bums me out.

Isnt that an easy fix though? Go to Colorado or further up north than for a trip to enjoy the winter wonderland. My wife and I will probably head back to Illinois next Christmas to enjoy a bit of winter weather with the family, refil out hate guage for cold, than come back!

Schlep

Anyone check out rodeo goat? I never went to the one in Fort Worth but they opened one last week in dallas. It's fantastic for burgers

Haven't been to the Dallas one. The one in Fort Worth has the best burgers I've been able to find. We usually load up on that before hitting the Movie Tavern.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I love the non-cold.

Has everyone had the beef noodle soup at Monkey King Noodle House downtown?
That's easily in my top 5 faves of Dallas. Amazing flavor and spice.

I drove by that place and had to do a doubletake at the name. No wonder the place looked new haha.

I had a burger at Hopdoddy's in Addison finally. Pretty good, not super wet or greasy.
The drinks were great and much lower priced than I expected.

Going to try Village Burger Bar next.

I always wanted to meetup with DFW Miata clubs when I had mine. Glad they're still having a good time.

ChrisD

I don't like the blazing heat of summer, but it beats ice cold weather. If we could get snow that sticks again, I'm all for it. If its just cold weather for the sake of being cold, these cool and even mildly warm days have it beat by a country mile. 75 is the perfect temperature imo.

Just rented a new place down in Downtown Dallas / Victory Park specifically.

Moving to the new Skyhouse Dallas building that opened right behind House of Blues. Really excited as I'm one of the first residents and will be on the 17th floor. The view is going to be great.

img_1080.jpg

Just rented a new place down in Downtown Dallas / Victory Park specifically.

Moving to the new Skyhouse Dallas building that opened right behind House of Blues. Really excited as I'm one of the first residents and will be on the 17th floor. The view is going to be great.

img_1080.jpg

Nice. Real cool area.

Anyone going to Dallas Comic Con tomorrow or Sunday?

Contacted my insurance company so they can update my policy for the move and apparently it's one of the highest insurance rated areas in Texas due to volume and cost of claims. Fun?

My rep said the W residences and people who live in Uptown jack everything up as if one guy writes a claim, they know it'll be huge due to the type of property they own.

Great....

My car insurance went up $30 a month. Jesus.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Contacted my insurance company so they can update my policy for the move and apparently it's one of the highest insurance rated areas in Texas due to volume and cost of claims. Fun?

My rep said the W residences and people who live in Uptown jack everything up as if one guy writes a claim, they know it'll be huge due to the type of property they own.

Great....

My car insurance went up $30 a month. Jesus.

Price around. I've found safeco a great option in the area that is constantly better priced for auto than the rest. Stay far and clear of certain major carriers that are all over TV, my wife works in insurance now and the number of time those companies scew over their customers is insane.

We just recently bought a house and shopping for Home/Auto insurance was insane. Dallas is a fricken expensive market due to all the hail and wind damage claims.

besada

Banned
Food recommendation: Chino Chinatown in Trinity Heights in Dallas.

Not only do you get a reason to drive over the spiffy new bridge, but it's amazingly good. My wife and I have been twice and we've had the Chicken Lollipops, Conchinita Pibil on Steamed Buns, Ramen with sliced beef and bone marrow butter, and Drunken Noodle with marinated short ribs. All of it was delicious. We'll keep going back, even though it's a thirty minute drive for us. Service is great, the environment is nice, and the Cake Bar is three buildings over.

besada

Banned
^Nice info Besada

Speaking of sights, have any you guys been out to Clyde Warren park?
We usually head to one of the Fort Worth food truck parks, but now that I know it exists we'll make a visit and let you know at some point. I'm a big fan of food trucks, and we usually wind up eating Gastrobomber at Clearfork Food Truck Park in Ft. Worth.

dallow_bg

nods at old men

Not only do you get a reason to drive over the spiffy new bridge, but it's amazingly good. My wife and I have been twice and we've had the Chicken Lollipops, Conchinita Pibil on Steamed Buns, Ramen with sliced beef and bone marrow butter, and Drunken Noodle with marinated short ribs. All of it was delicious. We'll keep going back, even though it's a thirty minute drive for us. Service is great, the environment is nice, and the Cake Bar is three buildings over.

I remember the hostess/owner being very tall and beautiful.
Definitely a nice looking place too. I liked their play on Mexican corn.

I'm hosting a bar crawl in Deep Ellum on the 28th via the r/dallas facebook group (actual r/dallas isn't fond of the FB group).

This will be the fourth one in DE that I've hosted. The first one had ~70 people, the second had ~50, and the third had 118 (we handed out wristbands to get past some cover charges - nothing shady, I talked to bar managers beforehand, hence the more accurate count). So far I have 52 rsvps for yes, 42 maybes.

I don't have a line-up set yet but we typically hit up four bars (closing at the Green Room because it's got a decent view of the skyline and the rooftop has pool + giant jenga). Just wanted to put some feelers out to see if anyone from DFW GAF would be interested.

Hope this is ok to post in the thread, will remove if not.

Zoe

By the way.. Mr. Max in Irving is open again. New ownership since I believe the last owner passed away. It's owned by Monta Ramen from Las Vegas.

http://www.montaramen.com/

Pretty stoked. Mr. Max is one of my fav places that unfortunately closed back in 2012

Huh, we'll have to go back sometime. When we last went in 2010 or 2011, they were really nice, but all the food was microwaved :(

Huh, we'll have to go back sometime. When we last went in 2010 or 2011, they were really nice, but all the food was microwaved :(

uh what...

Never seen that and they cook the stuff in front of everyone. Ive always gone and they've cooked it right there in front of everyone o_O

I think all the reviews on Yelp from the past never even mention a microwave.

^Nice info Besada

It's pretty nice. You can people watch some people doing some insane yoga, also usually they have some people playing some live music for tips and the food trucks lined up down the street. Gotta try the cool haus ice cream sandwich truck if you haven't. Incredible stuff. It's also right across from the DMA so you can hit both the park and the museum at the same time if that interests you.

It's pretty nice. You can people watch some people doing some insane yoga, also usually they have some people playing some live music for tips and the food trucks lined up down the street. Gotta try the cool haus ice cream sandwich truck if you haven't. Incredible stuff. It's also right across from the DMA so you can hit both the park and the museum at the same time if that interests you.

Yeah Klyde Warren is great. They have a restaurant there as well and a food cart which serves higher end type of snacks/wraps/burgers for good prices.

You can also rent out board games on nice days with your drivers license from the cart vendor and play some games.

Zoe

uh what...

Never seen that and they cook the stuff in front of everyone. Ive always gone and they've cooked it right there in front of everyone o_O

I think all the reviews on Yelp from the past never even mention a microwave.

We were sitting at the bar and had a full view of the microwave :\

Yeah Klyde Warren is great. They have a restaurant there as well and a food cart which serves higher end type of snacks/wraps/burgers for good prices.

You can also rent out board games on nice days with your drivers license from the cart vendor and play some games.

I didn't even know this place existed, but I looked it up and it looks awesome! I'm definitely headed there sometime soon.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I didn't even know this place existed, but I looked it up and it looks awesome! I'm definitely headed there sometime soon.

We were just there yesterday. A bit disappointed by how tiny it was, but the atmosphere was really nice, lots of people all getting along great, the food trucks were near (by lines lasting like 30 minutes to get anything). While you are there go across the street the art museum. Its free, kinda lower end in quality, but still a nice little detour.

We were just there yesterday. A bit disappointed by how tiny it was, but the atmosphere was really nice, lots of people all getting along great, the food trucks were near (by lines lasting like 30 minutes to get anything). While you are there go across the street the art museum. Its free, kinda lower end in quality, but still a nice little detour.

Yeah on weekends the food truck lines are nutso. On weekdays during lunch, its instant. :p

It is small, but I guess that should be expected for a park built on top of a highway.

The Dallas World Aquarium is also a block or two south of the park by the West End. The Perot Museum is also a few blocks south just on the other side of Woodall Rogers from the Aquarium. Both are great little places. You can totally make a day out of either of those with the park.

cHaotix8

By the way.. Mr. Max in Irving is open again. New ownership since I believe the last owner passed away. It's owned by Monta Ramen from Las Vegas.

http://www.montaramen.com/

Pretty stoked. Mr. Max is one of my fav places that unfortunately closed back in 2012

Nice, we were pretty bummed out last time we went and found out they had closed up shop. I've only been there twice but I enjoyed the food both times. I'm looking forward to how the new management handles things.

^Nice info Besada

I work downtown so I stop by there sometimes for lunch. Cool spot to go to sometimes at night. Occasionally, there will be live music playing there, as well a food truck that sells wine and craft beer. It's a nice place to chill.

Definitely gonna check this place out. I've driven through the area recently and didn't realize how much new stuff has been built over there. It looks really nice. I'm gonna have to stop by and check out the eats.

besada

Banned
Definitely gonna check this place out. I've driven through the area recently and didn't realize how much new stuff has been built over there. It looks really nice. I'm gonna have to stop by and check out the eats.

As part of the new bridge, they're developing the area into a shopping/eating destination. There are a bunch of other interesting places in Trinity Groves, but every time we go out there, I bail on trying one of them because Chino Chinatown is so good.

Anyway, here's a link showing what they have in the Trinity Groves center:
http://www.trinitygroves.com/explore/

I want to try Souk and Casa Rubia for sure.

woodchuck

As part of the new bridge, they're developing the area into a shopping/eating destination. There are a bunch of other interesting places in Trinity Groves, but every time we go out there, I bail on trying one of them because Chino Chinatown is so good.

Anyway, here's a link showing what they have in the Trinity Groves center:
http://www.trinitygroves.com/explore/

I want to try Souk and Casa Rubia for sure.

Luck is my favorite place over there. Resto Gastro Bistro is also excellent. Haven't checked out Souk or Casa Rubia though. Sushi Buyashi just opened there this week.

besada

Banned
Luck is my favorite place over there. Resto Gastro Bistro is also excellent. Haven't checked out Souk or Casa Rubia though. Sushi Buyashi just opened there this week.

I'm going to try Souk tonight, I think, unless it's crazy crowded. That's one of the nice things about Trinity Groves, though, so far we've never had to wait too long there.

Edit:

My wife and I went out to Trinity Groves tonight. I discovered that all the places there are on OpenTable, so you can do a reservation online. Since it was the night before Valentine's and a Friday, we figured we'd play it safe and put one in.

Which is good, because the whole area was jam-packed. We wound up doing valet parking because we couldn't find anything else. We walked down to Souk, which is nearly at the end of the row, and it was great. All the Trinity Groves places have the same basic layout, a big box room with an open kitchen at the back, but Souk had decorated theirs really well. Long, plush couches instead of booths, drapes of translucent cloth hanging from the ceiling as dividers, with Moroccan music playing in the background.

They'd reserved us a really nice table, set off the main floor area, so it was quieter and cozier.

We started with the Souk platter, which I completely and unabashedly recommend. It's pita bread, fried pita, olives, Ma'akouda(moroccan potato cakes) and a group of spreads/dips, which include: harisa lebna, some of the best hummus I've had (it was rich and smooth, perfectly seasoned), Zaalouk (Roasted eggplant, tomato, and garlic, sprinkled with pomegranate on the top, and a Moraccan sweet tomato dip made with sweet tomatoes, honey, garlic, and cinnamon. We were blown away by the quality of everything on the platter. I particularly liked the Ma'akouda and harisa lebna, both of which are spicy, but the Ma'akouda and sweet tomato were no slouch either. The pita was warm, fresh and not too dense. You could have just this and go home happy, I think.

But we didn't stop there. Unfortunately, they were out of the Harisa Chicken, so I went with the Kefta Tagine, which was this amazing mixture of spicy meatballs in a spicy tomato sauce, covered in egg yolk, served with fried pita. Delicious. The creamy egg yolk really offset the spicy meatballs, which were seasoned with cumin and lemon, among other things.

My wife had the beef kabobs, and they were the most tender, juicy kabobs I've had. They marinate the beef in something sweet, and it was so tender my wife described it as meat pudding, and told me that next time she wanted steak, we'd just come back here. It was served with couscous and fingerling potatoes.

We had intended to get Monuts for dessert. They're Souk's hand made donuts that come in traditional, mixed berry, lemon, toffee, and apricot flavors, but they had run out of those, too. In fact, the waiter said they were taking them off the menu and that they'd be a secret item you could ask for, since they are made fresh and disappear really quickly.

All in all a great experience. The staff was friendly and attentive, the atmosphere cozy, and romantic, and the food was excellent. Looking forward to going back and trying that Harisa Chicken.

Top Bottom