• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dallas - Fort Worth |OT| The Big D & Cowtown

DFW-GAF... are y'all ready... are y'all ready for the #IceStormRedux?!?!

I've stocked up on everything, including liquor so I'm set lol.

I just wish my work would shut down though, but it's a 24/7 business and there's no chance in hell it's closing since it's going to affect the rest of the world. So sad to say I'm probably gonna be stuck at work. :(

My wife is literally praying her work is closed tomorrow. I work about a quarter mile down the road, so I definitely wouldn't mind mine being closed down...

besada

Banned
First power outage of the ice storm. Came right hack up. Hopefully it's just people turning their heaters up, instead of downed lines.

I'm doubtful as always when these "catastrophes" are predicted but I'm hoping like heck it destroys work tomorrow, lol.

I hope work is cancelled but my internet, tv, and phone install is still good to go, ha.

By the way.. Mr. Max in Irving is open again. New ownership since I believe the last owner passed away. It's owned by Monta Ramen from Las Vegas.

http://www.montaramen.com/

Pretty stoked. Mr. Max is one of my fav places that unfortunately closed back in 2012

oh man, their new menu is wonderful. Handmade ramen, limited amount each day, and new recipes. Local Japanese are spreading the word quickly.

Also, can't think of the name right now, but the Max people have another fancier non-ramen focused restaurant around here with true traditional dishes. They brought some menu items over to Max due to customer requests. Not Americanized stuff.

Darvish and visiting Japan athletes go to these locations as well. Major upgrades with the new openings.

I'm really hoping my Uni closes tomarrow. I really don't wanna go to class when sick.

Where do you go?

UNT/TCU and surprisingly even UTA decided to close shop for tomorrow. Back when I went to UTA they'd never announce a school closing this early, they'd wait until at least 7AM to finally announce a closing. Of course they'd do it now that I'm finally out of there lol.

I'm already dreading my commute tomorrow. Gonna be driving from central Arlington all the way to DFW airport. 360 seems to be well maintained but I'm more worried about the other idiots in the road. The good thing is I don't work until the afternoon so the conditions would've deteriorated so bad by that point, no one else would be out on the roads except for a select few.

Where do you go?

UNT/TCU and surprisingly even UTA decided to close shop for tomorrow. Back when I went to UTA they'd never announce a school closing this early, they'd wait until at least 7AM to finally announce a closing. Of course they'd do it now that I'm finally out of there lol.
It's my first year at UTA. I guess I'll find out at 7AM...

edit: I didn't read.. Wooo no school!

MickD

Got a film shoot by Texas Motor Speedway and I live by DFW Airport.. hope I'm good. Drive safe guys. It looks fine to me!

3737AA0B-8102-45AF-BF60-A2A32C73ABBF.jpg

SHUT IT DOWN

besada

Banned
Got a film shoot by Texas Motor Speedway and I live by DFW Airport.. hope I'm good. Drive safe guys. It looks fine to me!
Check the road conditions before you go. There are multiple closed roads in Dallas from wrecks. Drive safely. And make sure you can find a place to stay out there if you go, as it's supposed to just keep coming down, and you might get stuck.

On a different subject, I ate at The Dumpling House in Irving, on N. MacArthur and it was fantastic.

Pagusas

Elden Member
My company is open, sent out a huge HR email last night telling everyone we'd be open. Brave these terrible roads (no one is on them thank god, George Bush is DEAD) and soon as I get in... NO ONE IS HERE. WTF you stupid HR department, I know even the HR people arent here! Even my manager didnt come in. Strongly considering leaving X-(

My company is open, sent out a huge HR email last night telling everyone we'd be open. Brave these terrible roads (no one is on them thank god, George Bush is DEAD) and soon as I get in... NO ONE IS HERE. WTF you stupid HR department, I know even the HR people arent here! Even my manager didnt come in. Strongly considering leaving X-(

bail out, man. There's no use being the only one there

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Hell no I'm not driving in this.
Luckily I almost always work from home and only have a phone meeting today. :)

oh man, their new menu is wonderful. Handmade ramen, limited amount each day, and new recipes. Local Japanese are spreading the word quickly.

Also, can't think of the name right now, but the Max people have another fancier non-ramen focused restaurant around here with true traditional dishes. They brought some menu items over to Max due to customer requests. Not Americanized stuff.

Darvish and visiting Japan athletes go to these locations as well. Major upgrades with the new openings.

Oh man, you've made me very excited to go now that they're back.

I'd be pissed.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Called into work, woulda had to keep my car running an hour just sitting there to get rid of the slab of ice on my rear window and my boss couldnt say if they would let us out early or not. Not risking it when we are supposed to get some more rain later, my tires are too shit.

Still, feels dirty, I never call in, my internal drive typically wont let me.

JMDSO

Unconfirmed Member
2/3 of my company didn't come in.

Me being from Northern CT means I have no excuse for not driving in this shit so I came in. Not like I have any PTO anyways.

Wreav

Banned
Since I'm stuck inside with limited foodstuffs today, let's talk about BBQ. What's your favorite "go-to" everyday kind of BBQ joint in the area?

Gotta go with Mike Anderson's personally, the portions are stupid huge, the meat is great, their homemade sauces are good, and free ice cream. Can't really go wrong.

JMDSO

Unconfirmed Member
Since I'm stuck inside with limited foodstuffs today, let's talk about BBQ. What's your favorite "go-to" everyday kind of BBQ joint in the area?

Gotta go with Mike Anderson's personally, the portions are stupid huge, the meat is great, their homemade sauces are good, and free ice cream. Can't really go wrong.

I'll probably be shot, but I'm satisfied with Dickeys. I know for a fact there is better, but I just end up at the chain.

besada

Banned

Day to day for me is Riscky's. Weekend lazy is Main Street BBQ in Euless. If I'm willing to drive a little, it's Baker's Ribs in Dallas (who has amazing fried pies, too). For best overall and out of town visitors, it's Pecan Lodge. I still haven't had Lockhart's, which is supposed to be even better than Pecan Lodge.

Wreav

Banned
I take all my visitors to Smoke for brunch. Most people get the hash and rave.

Still haven't bothered to try Pecan Lodge either, the wait times put me off back in the Farmer's Market days, and I rarely get to Deep Ellum any more.

Baker's Ribs has amazing dill potato salad.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Called into work, woulda had to keep my car running an hour just sitting there to get rid of the slab of ice on my rear window and my boss couldnt say if they would let us out early or not. Not risking it when we are supposed to get some more rain later, my tires are too shit.

Still, feels dirty, I never call in, my internal drive typically wont let me.

Why couldnt you just scrape the ice off ?

Rudy's for me. It's cheap enough, decent beers and food is fantastic for the price. That said it's the closest one around me so I guess you could say I'm forced to go to it lol.

Anyway, the roads don't seem to be bad actually. Left my house at 1 and I didn't get to DFW airport until 1:45. It normally takes me 30 mins to get here so a 15 minute delay is decent. The thing that sucks was de-icing my car and of course having to be at work when it's this cold outside. I'm also hoping the drive home won't be too bad but as long as TxDOT and the NTTA do their jobs I think it'll be fine. Really the only issue I've got are the idiots who are driving too fast for the weather conditions.

I go to Rudy's often because it's close. Two of their breakfast tacos keeps me going for six to seven hours so it's a nice morning boost sometimes. Their brisket isn't really that good, but I was spoiled with Stanley's out east so I can't talk much. Pecan Lodge was fantastic when I went a couple of months ago though.

Is this what you wanted? ;-;
Heck yeah! Today rocked.

Decided to drive to work after noon today because I needed to work on one of our testers. 3 people crashed and shut down I-635 E to 1 lane. Driving back I got back on I-635 W , and then saw two 18 wheelers with emergency blinkers on trying to go up a bridged ramp. Said NOPE, and hopped on the service road.

Roads are still soaked and bridges iced. Not going to be much better in the morning.

akileese

Decided to drive to work after noon today because I needed to work on one of our testers. 3 people crashed and shut down I-635 E to 1 lane. Driving back I got back on I-635 W , and then saw two 18 wheelers with emergency blinkers on trying to go up a bridged ramp. Said NOPE, and hopped on the service road.

Roads are still soaked and bridges iced. Not going to be much better in the morning.

Yep. LISD is already closed for tomorrow. My office is supposed to open at 10am. I'll give it the good ol' college try but I am hardly risking my life for something that can be completed from my desk in my home.

Schlep

For BBQ, I've never found a place better than Spring Creek, which is odd. I've tried Cousin's, which made me sick. Went to Texas Pit which is supposed to be the local amazing BBQ, and it was incredibly salty. Riscky's is bland. Old House in Lewisville is decent. Rudy's is always good for fast food. Chasin Tail in Lake Dallas might be the worst BBQ I've ever had.

Maybe one day I'll find someplace around here that's amazing.

For BBQ, I've never found a place better than Spring Creek, which is odd. I've tried Cousin's, which made me sick. Went to Texas Pit which is supposed to be the local amazing BBQ, and it was incredibly salty. Riscky's is bland. Old House in Lewisville is decent. Rudy's is always good for fast food. Chasin Tail in Lake Dallas might be the worst BBQ I've ever had.

Maybe one day I'll find someplace around here that's amazing.

Pecan Lodge is supposed to be the best bbq in Dallas.

Oh lol, Collin College is closed tomorrow as well. Need to see how road conditions are doing before I figure out if going out's still an option, looking mighty frozen still.

Does anyone work downtown? I'm going to be working downtown soon and my company doesn't have a parking garage. So my options are to ride the dart train or pay for parking? Are there some cheap parking lots down there for daily parking?

Lockhart's beat it last year in the Observer's ratings, which is why I'm interested in trying Lockhart's.

Interesting. Just looked it up and I'll have to go try it out one day. I was actually looking at some apartments in that exact area a few days ago since they are close to the dart rail.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Just got the email again, work open tomorrow. chances are no one shows up again? Probably high...

I'm glad I live 10 minutes from work, once I move into our new home (closing March 6!) it'll be a 40 minute commute and I'll refuse to come in on days like today.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I definitely like Lockharts more. (Plano location)
Though I haven't tried Pecan since they loved to their new spot.

BobLoblaw

Banned
I was supposed to fly in to Dallas from today to Thursday, but the flight got canceled this morning and I bailed out. I'll have to rebook and fly in later. In the mean time, fix your fucking weather Texas.

An American Airlines flight landed at DFW and slid off the runway tonight.

Jeez. All schools closed again for tomorrow. Got work tomorrow at 10. Fun times.

Besada, you should make your tag link to the song on YouTube or something. I always want to listen to your stuff, but I never know what it's from.

Top Bottom