• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dallas - Fort Worth |OT| The Big D & Cowtown

besada

Banned
Besada, you should make your tag link to the song on YouTube or something. I always want to listen to your stuff, but I never know what it's from.

I can't. Only admins can make linked tags, and they'd get really tired of me asking them to do it. I had a thread in community where I posted a link every time I changed it, but I've been lazy. My current one is from the Mountain Goats song Estate Sale Song off the album All Eternals Deck. I'll try and get back in the habit of adding links in the community besada thread:)

Just wakes outside and kicked at the road. Water is solid frozen on the roads. I live 1 block from 635. Fuck trying to drive to work any sooner than 10

y2dvd

My connection is unstable at home so unfortunately I can't even get any work done. I scheduled for a technician to come tomorrow but we'll see if it still happens in this weather.

We ordered Thai food yesterday and the delivery boy looked cold and miserable. Said they were busier than ever and looked like he was gonna break down, so we gave him like a 35% tip.

My buddy's car battery died this morning. I'm driving him around to car battery shops when I could be snuggled under my warm sheets of blanket right now lol. ;_;

I hate snow!

Pagusas

Elden Member
My connection is unstable at home so unfortunately I can't even get any work done. I scheduled for a technician to come tomorrow but we'll see if it still happens in this weather.

We ordered Thai food yesterday and the delivery boy looked cold and miserable. Said they were busier than ever and looked like he was gonna break down, so we gave him like a 35% tip.

My buddy's car battery died this morning. I'm driving him around to car battery shops when I could be snuggled under my warm sheets of blanket right now lol. ;_;

I hate snow!

this isnt snow lol

Wreav

Banned
Poured about a dozen buckets of hot water down my steep driveway this morning, still didn't stop me from skidding down uncontrollably. The roads were quite clear though.

Pagusas

Elden Member
this has definitely been an eye opening experience. Coming from Illinois I'm pretty shocked about how poor this region handles bad weather. You'd think the city would keep more salt trucks on standby for these events given how important interstate traffic is to the area.

Beyond that seeing people do incredibly silly things like "pouring hot water down an iced up drive way" makes me smack my head against the desk. You just dont do that, its not a smart idea and it will actually make your drive way more slick (and caused your drive way to fall apart faster, rapid cooling and heating will destroy it). Everyone says these things happen every year so why do people not keep a bag of road salt in the garage?

I even saw people pouring hot water onto their windshields this morning :-| I can't believe people can be this uneducated when it comes to winter weather prep, especially given that ice is common for Dallas. It should be a mandatory part of driver's ed or first time homebuyer education programs.

Schlep

this has definitely been an eye opening experience. Coming from Illinois I'm pretty shocked about how poor this region handles bad weather. You'd think the city would keep more salt trucks on standby for these events given how important interstate traffic is to the area.

It's too expensive to keep a fleet of sanding trucks to cover this large of an area for what's usually a day or two per year.

Everything else you said is spot on. I'm originally from South Dakota and when the weather gets like this, I stay inside. A lot of people around here haven't the slightest clue about snow/ice, let alone how to drive on it.

Pagusas

Elden Member
It's too expensive to keep a fleet of sanding trucks to cover this large of an area for what's usually a day or two per year.

Everything else you said is spot on. I'm originally from South Dakota and when the weather gets like this, I stay inside. A lot of people around here haven't the slightest clue about snow/ice, let alone how to drive on it.

Ah, people in my office made it seem like this usually happens several times in the winter months and this winter hasn't been that bad. I can fully see how it would be to expensive for a once a year occurrence.

Schlep

Ah, people in my office made it seem like this usually happens several times in the winter months and this winter hasn't been that bad. I can fully see how it would be to expensive for a once a year occurrence.

Outside of a few warmer days, this is a pretty standard winter here. The ice storm in 2013 and the week long snow that messed with Jerry World's Superbowl are more the exception than the rule. You'll almost always get one or two days of ice (together or separate) per year. If it was more than that, school districts would budget for a lot more snow days.

^Speaking of which did Valley View finally get torn down? Remember hearing a story about it but I haven't been around that area in a while.

Wreav

Banned
^Speaking of which did Valley View finally get torn down? Remember hearing a story about it but I haven't been around that area in a while.

Nope, but it's coming as part of the rebranding of that area to Midtown. Probably once 635 is done, or shortly before. 635 is still a death trap, so I wouldn't upsell coming around here if you don't need to.

I rarely have had reasons to visit that area of 635 unless me and the family were meeting my great-grandmother, but I traveled east on it after going to QuakeCon '14...jeez was it slow.

JMDSO

Unconfirmed Member
Has anyone been to Afrah in Richardson? Been wanting to try it but I've always been hesitant to try food I'm not familiar with.

Nope. Although the only real reason to go there now is the AMC theater which is MUCH MUCH cheaper than other theaters around and still shows the newest movies. Tickets are only like $6 at night there. Also, they have a really good mexican ice cream place in there that makes all of their ice cream home made. So good. The rest of the mall has turned into this weird art gallery in one part and the other half turned into a bazaar.

Nope. Although the only real reason to go there now is the AMC theater which is MUCH MUCH cheaper than other theaters around and still shows the newest movies. Tickets are only like $6 at night there. Also, they have a really good mexican ice cream place in there that makes all of their ice cream home made. So good. The rest of the mall has turned into this weird art gallery in one part and the other half turned into a bazaar.
Wait, what?

akileese

Weather forecast for today calls for 1-3 inches of snow, plus more ice as is the standard i n DFW. Be safe out there GAF.

akileese

Good luck, it's already a mess out there.

They let us go early and it was starting to get a little slick.

My office just closed. I'm still here because I'm trying to get my account sorted with square enix support and the wait was an hour long. I'll be gone as soon as I'm done with this.

kamakazi5

Some guy just came out of his apartment screaming, "Oh my god it's snowing!" I know it's Texas but it isn't that uncommon. Anyways, stay safe everyone. A Mercedes just slid into the fencing in front of my complex.

The view from my garage right now:

BFS9nra.jpg

wojziWV.jpg

I love snow, but this is getting annoying. I don't even know how I'm getting to work today... most likely not actually.

Went to Mr. Max last night.. amazing food and very affordable for what you get. show up when they open at 6 or be prepared to wait though

Pagusas

Elden Member
It was halarious seeing our whole corporate office go into a panic/evacuation mode an hour ago. It's so peaceful here now. I'm waiting for little bit longer before heading out.

Veitsev

This looks more than drivable, but we sure can rely on DFW drivers to muck the roadways up!

Yep. Drivers here are stupid. On Monday when the ice was a bit melted and drivable my commute took forever because this lady in front of me insisted on going 5 mph and using two lanes of traffic and like three to make turns which caused everyone behind her to have to stop.

aeolost said:
take a look at the traffic overlay on google maps right now

what a goddamn joke

Yeah its ridiculous.

I live pretty close to I-35 and Stemmons and holy shit the amount of backed up traffic every which way you could go. I will never understand the mindset of going 5mph in this type of weather; especially when it's not even THAT bad. Then again, even people in cold weather states (I'm from one so I can drive in this :p) that get this crap consistently can't drive in it so it's just the idiocy of drivers in general.

Top Bottom