• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair |OT| Sun, Fun, and Despair

Upupupu, so many people hitting the end of Chapter 5 all at once. This thread is drowning in despair right about now.
As much as I want to punch the developers for what happened, they deserve a round of applause for Chapter 5 being such a painful and despair inducing experience for the player.

It does make sense, however it's not something you'd be likely to figure out without a bit of paper on hand.
You probably already know you need to turn the Vita 90 degrees to read the binary chart correctly, however you actually need to do the same with the code you get from the lights. Write all 4 sequences of lights as binary vertically on separate lines, then turn that 90 degrees and read it like that.
Chapter 5 was my favorite. Also the ending.
It doesn't help if you maxed her hope fragments out. And I always suspected she was an AI after the journal.

Chapter 4 spoilers:

I still can't believe Nekomaru is a robot. lol I love Kazuichi's ultra freaked out face haha But most importantly..... WHAT?! SONIA'S NOT A VIRGIN?! Please tell me she was kidding. Also, wow, they showed the survivors of the first game.

Also, chapter 3 spoiler questions

Is Mikan's love going to be revealed? And are gonna see how the murders in this chapter happened? Like, all other comic book thingies projected the killer's plan from the start and showed how they killed their victims, and even after that they then talked about what motivated them and give out a good backstory of the events, but none of that happens in this chapter. :l We only see one picture of Hiyoko arriving in the music venue and that's it.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member

Is Mikan's love going to be revealed? And are gonna see how the murders in this chapter happened? Like, all other comic book thingies projected the killer's plan from the start and showed how they killed their victims, and even after that they then talked about what motivated them and give out a good backstory of the events, but none of that happens in this chapter. :l We only see one picture of Hiyoko arriving in the music venue and that's it.

Yes, and no, how the murders were commited is not shown in the comic, but Ibuki was strangled to death and Hiyoko was stabbed.

elmars369

Unconfirmed Member
Chapter 4 spoilers:

I still can't believe Nekomaru is a robot. lol I love Kazuichi's ultra freaked out face haha But most importantly..... WHAT?! SONIA'S NOT A VIRGIN?! Please tell me she was kidding.

I don't think that anything more is shown about the murders themselves after the chapter. The reason Mikan went crazy is explained tho, during the very end of the game.

Yes, and no, how the murders were commited is not shown in the comic, but Ibuki was strangled to death and Hiyoko was stabbed.
I don't think that anything more is shown about the murders themselves after the chapter. The reason Mikan went crazy is explained tho, during the very end of the game.
Ah, okay about the Mikan thing. And that's a bummer :( I always like when the game shows up how things went out, like in Chapter 2 where they show the conversation between Fuyuhiko and Mahiru, or in the Chapter 2 from the first game with the conversation between Mondo and Fujisaki. But oh well, I suppose Mikan being nuts prevented her to explain it.

Wow I actually like all the characters, I wish none of them had to die

I gotta say, this is one game I really don't mind watching someone else play on youtube. The trial gameplay looks incredibly unfun.

e: oh fuck off,
the first killer is nagito, isn't it? dang it nagito :((

Ugh, if you're enjoying the story, you should buy a copy.

Labrys

Finished the game. Now I can't stop thinking how cool it would be playing this game in first person on the Oculus x_X

BTW, should I read DGR0 before IF?

IF is just a alternate retelling of Danganronpa 1 in novella form, it doesn't really have any connection to Zero. I'd say you're fine reading them in either order.

Fuck this game, fuck this game up in its ass.
I dont even want to play anymore after the 5th trial.

I know this is what the writers inteded, but fuck them.

EDIT Ugh, im not even reading the text anymore. Also im pretty sure I have been spoiled of the major reveal in the game.
Fuck it im going to play some hyrule warriors to take this bad taste in my mouth.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member

EDIT Ugh, im not even reading the text anymore. Also im pretty sure I have been spoiled of the major reveal in the game.
Fuck it im going to play some hyrule warriors to take this bad taste in my mouth.

tCUv5W9.gif

aravuus

Ugh, if you're enjoying the story, you should buy a copy.

Sure thing buddy, I'll just use my very limited student allowance that I should be using to pay the rent and buy food to get a whole new console just for one game. I actually posted in this thread a couple of weeks ago saying how jealous I am of all of you cause I won't be able to play the game due to my financial situation.

Anywho, chapter 2 "done"

IIRC pretty much all of DR1's trials made me go "oh DANG that is fuckING AWESOME!" at the end and the punishment

So far here it's been just "oh.. dang... :("

e: and the reactions in this thread sure as hell aren't making me feel very optimistic about what's to come

I know that people were shocked how the game keeps killing their favourite characters......but I must say:

They kill the ones I don´t like :D (in Chapter 3 now)

Sure thing buddy, I'll just use my very limited student allowance that I should be using to pay the rent and buy food to get a whole new console just for one game. I actually posted in this thread a couple of weeks ago saying how jealous I am of all of you cause I won't be able to play the game due to my financial situation.

That's the same excuse pirates make. The people who make these videos of primarily text-based games are essentially stealing sales from what is a very niche game that needs every sale it can get.

But you don't want to spend your allowance on it.

aravuus

That's the same excuse pirates make. The people who make these videos of primarily text-based games are essentially stealing sales from what is a very niche game that needs every sale it can get.

But you don't want to spend your allowance on it.

So you're comparing me to a pirate for watching a playthrough on youtube? That's actually quite hilarious

And also not a discussion to be had in this thread cause I've never seen it end well. You're free to think whatever you want of me, so feel free to pm me if you want to add something. In the meantime I'll continue with the playthrough videos.

FluxWaveZ

I'd post the Monokuma quote of not getting too attached to a video game character if I could find it.

MSMrRound

I just started chapter 5. You guys are scaring me from continuing.

Upupupu~

So you're comparing me to a pirate for watching a playthrough on youtube? That's actually quite hilarious

Eh, he might have worded his statements slightly in the wrong way. Don't take offence to it. He's just probably enjoying the game a lot and wished that more people are able to support Kaz Kodaka and the rest of the Danganronpa team. You didn't really have to mention that you are following the game on Youtube in the first place though...was a detail that wasn't really necessary.

In my own opinion...watching Youtube playthroughs can't really match up to the experience of playing (and figuring out stuff) on your own though. Also, the comments aren't exactly the safest place to go to. If you are looking for a LPer, I recommend Pharaoh2091. He might be playing the Japanese version of Danganronpa 2, but he translate things as he go on and his reactions are quite genuine.

Hopefully by the time Danganronpa 3 comes around, you will be able to save up enough and purchase a copy to support the devs and what's not. Cheers.

Chapter 4 spoilers

Of course Nekomaru had to die. OF COURSE HE HAD TO. Uggh, I was expecting Kazuichi to be the dead one, but I should have expected Nekomaru since he obviously wouldn't be one of the survivors if he was a robot. Damn, I will miss all the SHIT he always was talking about. And why the fuck doesn't Akana die yet, seriously.

Also don't hate on the people who don't have the money to buy the game and a Vita.

Hey, uh, let's avoid any unnecessary drama or arguments here, let everyone enjoy the game in any way, please.

I agree with the first part of what you said, but disagree whole-hearted lot with the 'in any way' part. But I will not continue the discussion, because I find it distasteful,

MSMrRound

Different people have different circumstances. Just let it be and let's not point fingers at one another.

Personally I have been exposed to games through Let's Play videos, and when I was finally able to support the devs in my own way, I try to do so. I think it might apply for some of us as well. In some way, videos/fan patches etc etc have been essential in the exposure of some niche series as well.

Hopefully it might convince them to get a copy if they are able to!

aravuus

nevermind

Alright, good, let's just leave it at that.

MonomiA_%2817%29.png

love, love

You didn't really have to mention that you are following the game on Youtube in the first place though...was a detail that wasn't really necessary.

very true, just felt the need to mention it for whatever reason. i certainly didn't add it in to get a rise out of people like soc.

just to be clear, i'd get the game (and vita) in a heartbeat if i simply could afford them. maybe by the time dr3 comes out i've graduated and can afford the get all the possible versions and collections released. you know, just to further support them. wouldn't be the first time, i've got four or five copies of different versions of dragon's dogma too lol

Upupupu~

Eh, he might have worded his statements slightly in the wrong way. Don't take offence to it. He's just probably enjoying the game a lot and wished that more people are able to support Kaz Kodaka and the rest of the Danganronpa team. You didn't really have to mention that you are following the game on Youtube in the first place though...was a detail that wasn't really necessary.

Exactly. Thank you.

I really hope the game does well enough to warrant more localizations of what has quickly become one of my all-time favorite game series. Niche titles desperately need all the support we can give them.

That's the last thing I'll say on the matter.

MSMrRound

Exactly. Thank you.

I really hope the game does well enough to warrant more localizations of what has quickly become one of my all-time favorite game series. Niche titles desperately need all the support we can give them.

That's the last thing I'll say on the matter.

I understand. However, as a neutral 3rd party, I have this to say. People might have circumstances that we, faceless voids on the Internet, might not be aware about. Don't be too quick to judge them. In one of your previous post, you sort of slightly over-reacted y'know?

I can see why he was kind of angered and lashed out at you, thinking that you were bashing him for following the game on Youtube.

Let's all loosen up a little.

Also, this post is just so that I want to make it clear I'm sliding with neither side. Enjoy the game your way. If you can support the hardworking devs, please do so.

That's all. Cheers. I'll try not to say anything more...and of course, my opinions are just my own. Nothing more.

I understand. However, as a neutral 3rd party, I have this to say. People might have circumstances that we, faceless voids on the Internet, might not be aware about. Don't be too quick to judge them. In one of your previous post, you sort of slightly over-reacted y'know?

I can see why he was kind of angered and lashed out at you, thinking that you were bashing him for following the game on Youtube.

Let's all loosen up a little.

Also, this post is just so that I want to make it clear I'm sliding with neither side. Enjoy the game your way. If you can support the hardworking devs, please do so.

That's all. Cheers. I'll try not to say anything more...and of course, my opinions are just my own. Nothing more.
go to sleep nanami, you're drunk

Necrovex

Just got to the trial for chapter five, and when did I start playing such a superior game? Like really, chapter three and four were shit compared to this marvelous build up.

Isotope

Really, 3 and 4 are (IMO) the weakest chapters in the game. They're by no means bad, but there are chapters better than them, namely, Chapter 5, which happens to be my favorite.

Necrovex

Really, 3 and 4 are (IMO) the weakest chapters in the game. They're by no means bad, but there are chapters better than them, namely, Chapter 5, which happens to be my favorite.

I liked certain parts in those chapters, but I felt so disengaged during most of it.

Just got to the trial for chapter five, and when did I start playing such a superior game? Like really, chapter three and four were shit compared to this marvelous build up.

Really, the deaths in chapter 3 and 4, and the culprits, were really, really shocking!

Mikan's turning evil was especially upsetting, but even moreso was the fact that she took advantage of Ibuki while she was sick and compliant. I don't know why, but I found that super-disturbing, especially because I assumed she had ordered Ibuki to commit suicide, since the Despair Disease made Ibuki so willing to do what anybody said.

Chapter 3 spoilers:
Mikan didn't order her to kill herself. She strangled her to death before looping the noose around her and raised her up via the stage system, making it look like a suicide.

I know.
When I saw the death in the video, that's what I had assumed had happened until the whole strangulation evidence came into play. It would have been much creepier if Mikan had ordered Ibuki to kill herself and Ibuki had done it, though.

Chapter 3 spoilers:
I thought Mikan had ordered Ibuki to kill Hiyoko cuz of her disease before hanging herself. I was so wrong.

That would have been
even MORE disturbing.

I kind of want to see how the characters look after becoming Ultimate Despairs, especially since they mutilated their bodies and stuff. I hope they appear as villains in Another Episode, since that takes place between 1 and 2. It'd be cheesy if it was just the elementary schoolers as bad guys.

Labrys

That would have been
even MORE disturbing.

I kind of want to see how the characters look after becoming Ultimate Despairs, especially since they mutilated their bodies and stuff. I hope they appear as villains in Another Episode, since that takes place between 1 and 2. It'd be cheesy if it was just the elementary schoolers as bad guys.

slight AE spoilers if you haven't been keeping up with the website/magazines
Komaeda is showing up as "Servant", so there's a good chance we'll see the other Ultimate Despair.

I'd post the Monokuma quote of not getting too attached to a video game character if I could find it.

At least the first game had the decency
of not killing more characters in chapter 5, and leave you Kyoko and Asahina. Thats something that I greatly appreciated. Even if 3 of them were better dead.
I wouldnt have mind kazuichi to be the one dead in the last chapter if they really needed to kill someone. I think they just did too much despair (and I mean it in a negative way) with the last chapter after all of the other cool characters that were killed in 3 and 4.
Like Sonia and Chiaki were the only realy cool ones left, the mafia baby and Akane-totallynotrippoffofAsahina- are just there (at least thats better than in DR1) and Kazuichi is stupid scum (just like the divination guy in the first game). Why this characters are always the ones that the writers decided to keep alive just blows my mind.
Also something tells me the writers like dark skin big tittied sport girls too much.... And I liked Asahina in the first game

FluxWaveZ

At least the first game had the decency
of not killing more characters in chapter 5. Thats something that I greatly appreciated. Even if 3 of them were better dead.
I wouldnt have mind kazuichi to be the one dead in the last chapter if they really needed to kill someone. I think they just did too much despair (and I mean it in a negative way) with the last chapter after all of the other cool characters that were killed in 3 and 4.

Are you sure you're playing the right game/series? I despise the concept of plot armor, so I'm fine with it.

elmars369

Unconfirmed Member
I know.
When I saw the death in the video, that's what I had assumed had happened until the whole strangulation evidence came into play. It would have been much creepier if Mikan had ordered Ibuki to kill herself and Ibuki had done it, though.
Ch. 3 + ch. 6 spoilers.
Why didn't Mikan order her to hang herself anyway? She could have avoided having the strangling turned against her if she did that. Was it maybe because she was an Ultimate Despair and thus had the urge to kill someone with her own hands, cuz she's messed up like that...

FluxWaveZ

Ch. 3 + ch. 6 spoilers.
Why didn't Mikan order her to hang herself anyway? She could have avoided having the strangling turned against her if she did that. Was it maybe because she was an Ultimate Despair and thus had the urge to kill someone with her own hands, cuz she's messed up like that...

Maybe she wouldn't have killed herself just by being told to do so, despite the "disease" she was afflicted with. Could be the latter, too.

Top Bottom