• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair |OT| Sun, Fun, and Despair

Ch. 3 + ch. 6 spoilers.
Why didn't Mikan order her to hang herself anyway? She could have avoided having the strangling turned against her if she did that. Was it maybe because she was an Ultimate Despair and thus had the urge to kill someone with her own hands, cuz she's messed up like that...

Regarding chapter 3,
the way I saw it, doing that would have had too many potentially dangerous outcomes for Mikan. If someone interacted with Ibuki before she killed herself and found out what she was doing, or Ibuki killed herself in a way that left evidence pointing to her, or even Ibuki somehow doesn't go through with it or recovers from the illness and then told everyone what Mikan had instructed her to do - in any of those outcomes she'd be screwed.

I may also be misremembering, but I don't think Monokuma had addressed the specifics about who is classified as the actual killer in case of a suicide either by that point.

Busaiku

were they implying that one of the Remnants of Despair had done the necrophilia?

Seems something Soda or Teruteru would do under the influence of despair.

They said something about one of the Ultimate Despair trying to give birth with Junko.

But regardless...
MY MIND IS ON THE FLOOR

Labrys

were they implying that one of the Remnants of Despair had done the necrophilia?

Seems something Soda or Teruteru would do under the influence of despair.
endgamespoiler
it was loosely translated, original text implied her ovaries/eggs were harvested to attempt to extend her bloodline

aravuus

Chapter 3 spoilers:
I thought Mikan had ordered Ibuki to kill Hiyoko cuz of her disease before hanging herself. I was so wrong.

I was expecting this too.

I was disappointed. So much lost potential with the despair disease stuff.

Chapter 3 was a bit boring. Except for
robot jesus of course.

ITT: Fuck the spoiler thread.

Glad I decided to straight up not even enter this thread until I beat the game -- no expectations is the best way for anything.

Are you sure you're playing the right game/series? I despise the concept of plot armor, so I'm fine with it.

Yes. The solution to make a dark story is not shit grim dark kill kil kill always. I wouldn't call also not killing a character plot armor (I dont even understand what plot armor would mean in this game, iof a character is saved that doesnt mean he had plot armor in the way this game writes all of its characters)
As i said they did it well with the first game so it felt perfectly right (amount of hope/despair). I think they just crossed that line with this one.

I've never thought writers killing characters just because is an intelligent way to write either. I know this is a game series about killings, but I think you also need to know when to stop and let the player have some "fun".

I don't get the hate Akane gets. She's smart in her own way, and she helps figure out a lot of stuff...

I don't hate Akane. In fact is the contrary. I only think she is Asahina 2 and not as cool/fun as other characters in the game.
In fact her story is very similar to that of asahina, she only seems more brave than her

FluxWaveZ

Yes. The solution to make a dark story is not shit grim dark kill kil kill always. I wouldn't call also not killing a character plot armor (I dont even understand what plot armor would mean in this game, iof a character is saved that doesnt mean he had plot armor in the way this game writes all of its characters)
As i said they did it well with the first game so it felt perfectly right (amount of hope/despair). I think they just crossed that line with this one.

I've never thought writers killing characters just because is an intelligent way to write either. I know this is a game series about killings, but I think you also need to know when to stop and let the player have some "fun".

Plot armor would be certain characters being designed to not be killed off under any circumstances because they're either too important, or because they're made to appeal to fans. This isn't even an issue about conveying a "dark" story or whatever, but Danganronpa is about people dying. I mean, that's the whole game. It's the whole conceit.

The problem you seem to have with Danganronpa 2—as though it were an actual flaw with the game—is that your favorite character died or something. And that's really, really silly.

That's the appeal of this series...anyone can die. ANYONE.

For example, the chapter 1 murderer, never would have guessed it was him/her in my wildest dreams.

Plot armor would be certain characters being designed to not be killed off under any circumstances because they're either too important, or because they're made to appeal to fans. This isn't even an issue about conveying a "dark" story or whatever, but Danganronpa is about people dying. I mean, that's the whole game. It's the whole conceit.

The problem you seem to have with Danganronpa 2—as though it were an actual flaw with the game—is that your favorite character died or something. And that's really, really silly.

Nope. Mutliple characters that I really liked in the first one died, and same with the second one. And I didnt mind that much (you are bummed but you know what you are playing). The difference between the two is that they put too much emphasis on despair with the last trial, and the two before that were not even that good to begin with.
For example, I didnt really liked the loli girl, but the way she dies for free just because was pretty stupid (the worse thing is the really loose thread of the murders being similar to the first game, and then break that same rule to create even more despair). Its a very cheap death
Did I really like the last character, yes. But
If she was killed before that last trial in other way, it wouldnt have been so bad. Is how they have write her ending (lol at the multiple times that she could have been saved, just to troll the player, and I laugh becuase I think it was pretty stupid to do)
You like how the story flows? good for you, really. I didn't and think they did a better job with the first one
It doesnt help that this one is a nearly a repeat, so it didnt so some scenes didnt surprise me in the slighlets
. It's a pity because the characters are MUCH better in the second game.

Busaiku

Honestly, I thought the first 4 chapters were weaker than the first game.
Besides Mahiru, Hiyoko, Ibuki, and Nagito, I couldn't really take a liking to too many of the earlier characters.
However, I did end up liking Chiaki, Fuyuhiko, Kazuhiko, Sonia, and Hajime.
Akane is pretty bland overall though.
The last chapters were really, really good though.

Hangman's was terrible, but I ended up liking everything else for the most part.
I wanted to hate on Logic Dive earlier on, but it's my fault that I never let go of X, which caused a lot of the problems.
I wasn't getting Panic Talk Action or Rebuttal Showdown at first, but after getting the hang of them, I really liked them.

Overall, I'd have say this game stacks up about as well as the previous one.

Chapter 4 trial spoiler

Being able to play as Nagito, gather evidence and stuff was pretty cool, specially when he did the gun game. Now, about the class tiral, I still don't have an idea about who did it. The guys have an alibi, Sonia and Chiaki were present during the body announcement and I have this feeling that the developvers just won't let Akane die. Whatever...

Man, Sonia is the one who keeps arguing and is worried, this is not good. Gundham x Sonia is so true it can kill Kazuichi in the middle of the trial. The heck with the Iron Curtain of Teamwork? Why are those two insisting against everyone?

Hajime...just selected Gundham....DAMN. Why him and not fucking Akane, uggh. What is going to happen to his Four Dark Devas of Destruction?! No comic book minigame? Booo! Ohh nevermind, at least this trial will clear more things about the murder unlike the previous one. Gundham, I'll miss you until hell man. I should have expected this since the person in the intro that was using those circles and had bandages in his hands was Gundham, but still, I was hoping that would be he just battling the evil behind it all or something like that, damn. His farewell to his hamsters... :( THAT EXECUTION.... it almost made drop out a tear.....why.... what's gonna happen to the Four Dark Devas of Destruction?

just shut up Akane, geez. Ultimate Lucky Star? Ultimate Hope? Being unlucky? There must be a reason why Naegi is so similar to him.

Since the next chapter is chapter 5, that means the remaining survivors will not die anymore, right?..... Right?....

Since the next chapter is chapter 5, that means the remaining survivors will not die anymore, right?..... Right?....

I read this thread just to see Chapter 5 reactions, so do it so I can taste all your despair.

So I just finished chapter five. This despair, I can't depart from it. There is only one word that can describe how I feel at the end of the fifth trial.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Delicious Despair.

I'm seeing a pattern , guys.

gafchiaki.png

Glad to know that Gaf knows who is the best girl

Syrinx

End of Chapter 5

I believe the formal term for this feeling is..."legit shook". Really, really fucking shook.

snakesalute.jpg

Chapter 5 spoilers.... and the worst thing is,.... I've only arrived to the murder scene yet... ugh

Nagito got killed.... Nagito got killed. Nagito got killed... Nagito got killed... Nagito got killed.... Nagito got killed.... Nagito got killed... Nagito got killed... Nagito got killed... Nagito got killed... Nagito got killed.... Nagito got killed.... Nagito got killed.... Nagito got killed.... Nagito got killed.... Nagito got killed.... Nagito got killed.... Nagito got killed... Nagito got killed.... Nagito got killed.... Nagito got killed.... NagitO gOt killed.... NagitO gOt killed.... NagITO GOT KILled.... NagITO GOT KILled.... NagITO GOT KILled... NAGITO GOT KILLED... NAGITO GOT KILLED....

A-and....that was probably the most painful way to be killed by someone between the two game so far... and..... S-sonia probably did it.... she didn't enter with the rest of the group since she had to something..... she knew the "bomb" were fireworks.... she proposed using those things that didn't take out the fire....she probably is the traitor.....

I will leave the game there until tomorrow.... I think.....

Tizoc

Chapter 5 spoilers.... and the worst thing is,.... I've only arrived to the murder scene yet... ugh

Nagito got killed.... Nagito got killed. Nagito got killed... Nagito got killed... Nagito got killed.... Nagito got killed.... Nagito got killed... Nagito got killed... Nagito got killed... Nagito got killed... Nagito got killed.... Nagito got killed.... Nagito got killed.... Nagito got killed.... Nagito got killed.... Nagito got killed.... Nagito got killed.... Nagito got killed... Nagito got killed.... Nagito got killed.... Nagito got killed.... NagitO gOt killed.... NagitO gOt killed.... NagITO GOT KILled.... NagITO GOT KILled.... NagITO GOT KILled... NAGITO GOT KILLED... NAGITO GOT KILLED....

A-and....that was probably the most painful way to be killed by someone between the two game so far... and..... S-sonia probably did it.... she didn't enter with the rest of the group since she had to something..... she knew the "bomb" were fireworks.... she proposed using those things that didn't take out the fire....she probably is the traitor.....

Nope, go back and finish it. You must.

Wazzy

Banned

Don't let the shock of this stuff stop you from playing. Finish the game so you get an idea of everything. You'll feel better that way.

cross posting from the custom cover art thread.

made some matching covers for both danganronpa games.

see post here

and a chapter 3 spoilery one for goodbye despair.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/191263574/cover/PS%20Vita/danganronpa%202-2.jpg

so i finally gotten around to making usami/monomi versions of the cover art i did. enjoys.

Wandered into the spoilers thread by mistake and came out unscathed. Am I the Ultimate Lucky Gaffer?

can i has lottery numbers?

Entire Chapter 5 Spoilers

I love seeing the reactions to this chapter. I think it's probably my favorite between both games.
I agree, as much as chapter 5
still hurts like hell and I wish it didn't end that way, it's possibly the best chapter in the series and reading everyone's reactions to it is priceless.

Entire Chapter 5 Spoilers

I love seeing the reactions to this chapter. I think it's probably my favorite between both games.

Yeah

I was so glad who got killed, but man did she get screwed over by pure chance. Really Nagito was toxic to the group since the first day.

atomsk

Party Pooper
Finished it up, and glad I managed to avoid any of the major spoilers.

Had a couple of good legit "whaaaaaaaat" moments

Venfayth

Posting this here and the spoiler thread for maximum coverage:

Also, kind of a weird request, does anyone know where I can find the sound clip (in a youtube video or the raw audio file would be ideal) of the electronic voice saying "danganronpa" ?

LX_Theo

Banned
Posting this here and the spoiler thread for maximum coverage:

Also, kind of a weird request, does anyone know where I can find the sound clip (in a youtube video or the raw audio file would be ideal) of the electronic voice saying "danganronpa" ?

Every time I've heard it, its been apart of the main theme. Its part of the actual song, so I at least don't think there is a singular sound file of just that (countdown until someone proves me wrong, lol).

Venfayth

Every time I've heard it, its been apart of the main theme. Its part of the actual song, so I at least don't think there is a singular sound file of just that (countdown until someone proves me wrong, lol).

I swear it plays at the end of a chapter or something, when nothing else is going wrong. I might be going crazy though.

I swear it plays at the end of a chapter or something, when nothing else is going wrong. I might be going crazy though.

You're correct. It is said at the end of (almost) every chapter where they show the chapter card and around the same time the pink blood starts filling the screen from the top.

I think it is before they do the remaining students count.

Not sure if it is on the soundtrack or if someone will have to manually record/rip it out of the game...

Top Bottom