• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair |OT| Sun, Fun, and Despair

RetroMG

Just got the trophy for finishing a trial without taking damage. I hate "Improved" Hangman's Gambit so goddamn much. I saved before both of the ones in Chapter 1, and I had to attempt each of them at least eight times because I kept getting hit.

Not sure if this has already been linked before, but it seems the JP Sony Store are selling special Danganronpa 1+2 Vita 2000 and Vita TV systems in both white and black, they release next Thursday.

Zlf3vCH.jpg

ZXqEyb8.jpg

You can't even imagine how close I am to just importing one right now.
Man, I want that black one.

PKGaming

Banned
Hey, I have a question: Without giving away any spoilers, can someone tell me how to find the last two Monokumas in chapter 4?
I've been following this guide here, but I didn't see any opportunities to check the standard rooms and Monokuma Archive during the investigation. My best chance checking the standard room was when I played as Nagito, but when I checked, I saw no Monokuma at all. I figured I had to wait until I was Hajime again, but the moment I gained control of Hajime, I was never allowed to explore both buildings to find them. Now I'm about to start the class trial and I'm afraid that I missed my chances, but I don't know when those chances were. According to the guide I followed, I could only get them during the investigation, but the investigation itself was very restrictive.

DaBoss

Hey, I have a question: Without giving away any spoilers, can someone tell me how to find the last two Monokumas in chapter 4?
I've been following this guide here, but I didn't see any opportunities to check the standard rooms and Monokuma Archive during the investigation. My best chance checking the standard room was when I played as Nagito, but when I checked, I saw no Monokuma at all. I figured I had to wait until I was Hajime again, but the moment I gained control of Hajime, I was never allowed to explore both buildings to find them. Now I'm about to start the class trial and I'm afraid that I missed my chances, but I don't know when those chances were. According to the guide I followed, I could only get them during the investigation, but the investigation itself was very restrictive.
They made a mistake, sadly. :/

Use the guide in the OP: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1UXdaLXoctwTDiDfXdRBHrsOJfZMgEy3_EjoXfc_u4h4/edit#gid=0

You need to get them during Free Time, not during the investigation.

Busaiku

Couldn't guess the killer here either, because again, I couldn't get a motive.
At least it made sense as things were going on. I still don't understand what was going on during Chapter 3.
The killing this time was "ok", since I wasn't particularly attached to Nekomaru, and he was actually fighting back.
Shame that Gundham's gone, he's the only Social Link I maxed (for the skill primarily).

Huh, would you look at that, we got two PK Gaming-s here.

Chapter 2
I can't believe they tied up Nagito lol Also I think Chiaki is the one who's gonna do the murder this time, since it's an arcade machine and she said she wouldn't let another murder occur. I don't think Fuyuhiko is ever going to kill someone even if he has a dick attitude, just like Togami.

Just reached chapter 6.

It seems I was right about most of my speculation! The students are indeed trapped in some sort of VR sim...and it seems that they were part of some group called Remnants of Despair. So Naegi erased their memories and put them inside that simulator to help hope grow in their hearts instead of despair.

I also saw some of the other supposedly dead characters show up as glitches so I hope that means they're not really dead! The DR2 cast has a lot of interesting characters who I would love to see return in some form.

dani_dc

Chapter 4

That russian roulette! Unlike Makoto Naegi, who felt like he got Lucky once, Nagito actually seems to excell in luck.

Case 2 spoilers:

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NONONONONONONONONONONOONONONONONONONONONONONONONNONONONONONONONO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

WHY DID MAHIRU HAD TO DIE
OF EVERYONE ELSE
IS IT BECAUSE SHE DOESN'T HAVE HUGE BOOBS LIKE THE OTHERS
ASDSFKJASLDSKWDMC

AND THE WORST THING IS THAT IT'S BETWEEN SONIA, PEKO, AYANE OR CHIAKI AND ALL OF THEM ARE AWESOME ;_;

dani_dc

Case 2 spoilers:

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NONONONONONONONONONONOONONONONONONONONONONONONONNONONONONONONONO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

WHY DID MAHIRU HAD TO DIE
OF EVERYONE ELSE
IS IT BECAUSE SHE DOESN'T HAVE HUGE BOOBS LIKE THE OTHERS
ASDSFKJASLDSKWDMC

AND THE WORST THING IS THAT IT'S BETWEEN SONIA, PEKO, AYANE OR CHIAKI AND ALL OF THEM ARE AWESOME ;_;

I feel you :(

hohoXD123

Just reached chapter 6.

It seems I was right about most of my speculation! The students are indeed trapped in some sort of VR sim...and it seems that they were part of some group called Remnants of Despair. So Naegi erased their memories and put them inside that simulator to help hope grow in their hearts instead of despair.

I also saw some of the other supposedly dead characters show up as glitches so I hope that means they're not really dead! The DR2 cast has a lot of interesting characters who I would love to see return in some form.
Hehe, now you know why I said wow. There are still some twists left though.

dani_dc

Chapter 4

Yes! Gundham is finally dead!
And so is Nekomaru! (Though he was technically dead for awhile already)

And Nagito character finally took an interesting turn!

Necrovex

So I am partly through chapter 4, and I am realizing I enjoyed the writing more in DR1 than I do in DR2. Who else feels the same way?

dani_dc

So I am partly through chapter 4, and I am realizing I enjoyed the writing more in DR1 than I do in DR2. Who else feels the same way?

So far I'm the same,
just a lot of one-gimmick characters alive at that point, plus the motives feel a lot more forceful than the first game, and the mystery/despair aspect of the game doesn't work as well as the first game, since it's the second time around.

I honestly like the second games cast more than the first. A lot better designed and memorable.

I thought each individual character was better designed and memorable in 2, but I liked the interactions of the 1st cast better as a whole. In 1 it felt a lot more like they were working together to find the truth compared to 2.

What I like about the second cast is that I feel they are better developed throughout the story. They did more things where compared to the first cast, most of their development was hidden in their free time events.

But of course, my absolute favorite is still from the first game~

What I like about the second cast is that I feel they are better developed throughout the story. They did more things where compared to the first cast, most of their development was hidden in their free time events.

But of course, my absolute favorite is still from the first game~

Whozzat? (Monokuma voice)

Anyways, reposted after replying to someone in the PSN thread:

Just finished Danganronpa. That ending... why you do this to me?

Fantastic game, loved it.

Just did as well, despite knowing some things about the ending, it was still... Affecting. Now I have to resist spoiling myself any more than I have. Thankfully I mostly just know things from the light novels now, Danganronpa 2 is still mostly a mystery. Don't know how long I can hold out though. I thought I'd be able to enjoy and finish 999 before trying to get DR2 but I don't know...

I don't know enough about the Zero Escape series yet to be disappointed that it's dead in the water now (maybe someday), but I'm glad DR3 is pretty much assured I guess. Hopefully "Another Episode" is a good indicator that they are going to increase the production value next time.

So yeah, right now I'm having a lot of trouble not looking up everything that's left as a mystery with that cliffhanger. I assume hanging out in the DR1 thread would be more appropriate, but that's probably pretty dead by now. Please no spoilers!

Viridian6

Finished Chapter 4. Best one so far, first time for me the game reached DR1 levels of atmosphere.
Mostly because being confined in the Funhouse.

Couldn't Gundham have killed Nekomaru when he came to the ground (Grape) floor of the tower (and destroy the elevator control later) instead of assuming he would enter on the strawberry floor? Seemed an unnecessary risk to take. Also, the survivors are acting like Gundham sacrificed himself when he did his best to screw everyone else over lol. Nekomaru probably would have admitted it right away if he'd killed Gundham instead.

does anyone know how it determines how much you level up the other character's affection in island mode? i had reset my save because i didnt get enough materials and know i am at 3 more hangouts with gundham than i was before i reset and before i reset i got the shot through the heart thing.

Haven't played for a bit and I'm in trial 2. I'm stumped here. Stuck in
the non-stop debate about the murder weapon in the Twilight Syndrome game. The options are the vase, fish tank, swimsuit and a couple other things. All of the points are agree except for Fuyuhiko who says the murder weapons should have a bloodstain on it

What do?

Meia

Haven't played for a bit and I'm in trial 2. I'm stumped here. Stuck in
the non-stop debate about the murder weapon in the Twilight Syndrome game. The options are the vase, fish tank, swimsuit and a couple other things. All of the points are agree except for Fuyuhiko who says the murder weapons should have a bloodstain on it

What do?

You're stuck on the part almost every else has been once. Well, I wasn't because it was something that happened in a AA game once...

But I digress. IF you still need the help, highlight:
They mention the weapon is very unconventional, and you don't get much more unconventional than a swimsuit, which was used as a bag to hold the rocks from the fish tank in to make it a bludgeoning weapon.

You're stuck on the part almost every else has been once. Well, I wasn't because it was something that happened in a AA game once...

They mention the weapon is very unconventional, and you don't get much more unconventional than a swimsuit, which was used as a bag to hold the rocks from the fish tank in to make it a bludgeoning weapon.

Holy shit.

Yeah I tried everything but I didn't know why. Mustn't have hit the right thing.

dani_dc

Chapter 5

I don't think I had seen Chiaki as down as she was after the arcade machines exploded.

My issue with this is that you weren't really disagreeing witbn what was being said by Akane, you were agreeing and adding to her argument

Just finished chapter 4

Overall it was a good chapter witha nice atmosphere
and monokuma changing the rules a bit was fine.

HOWEVER , the final dead trap can die in a fire for all i care ! 100 monokuma coins is a fair price to pay to skip this.

In the end, it was a alright chapter but the trial was piss easy.

The reveal about hajime was so forshadowed that it had lost value , i can already see that "he is part of world ender" but that would be too easy so i guess he is not. Kudos for the change of attidue of nagito, much better but so irritating i can guess too much.
I hope i'm wrong.

Jintor

chapter threee

I'm in despair. This goddamn case has left me on despaaaaaaiiiiirrrrrrrrr!!!!!

wry, killer, wryyyyyyyyyy ;___;

I'm finding I'm not really enjoying the trials as much because of a lot more stupid bullshit where you know the right answer but can't figure out how the game wants you to tell it to it. But the trial climaxes are still pretty intense.

dani_dc

chapter threee

I'm in despair. This goddamn case has left me on despaaaaaaiiiiirrrrrrrrr!!!!!

wry, killer, wryyyyyyyyyy ;___;

I'm finding I'm not really enjoying the trials as much because of a lot more stupid bullshit where you know the right answer but can't figure out how the game wants you to tell it to it. But the trial climaxes are still pretty intense.

I had more of that issue on the first game to be honest, it's really annoying when you spend 10 minutes trying to pass the contradiction that you know is right.

Necrovex

I had more of that issue on the first game to be honest, it's really annoying when you spend 10 minutes trying to pass the contradiction that you know is right.

It's also annoying when you discover who the killer is prior to everyone else and have to wait to reach that 'point that killer out' stage.

I just finished playing the
novel
that unlocks after you finish the main game.

I would really love if
there were a novel or game follow-up to this alternate history.

Class trial chapter 2:

LOL at Monokuma's transformation.

All the evidence points out for Hiyoko, but I don't know, I still think one of the swimsuit girls did it, specially Sonia :( since she didn't have a swimsuit to protect her skin while in the first beach shot from the beginning of the game she had a school swimsuit (and if I remember there was a swimsuit involved in the murder game), she said she was late because of that, she knows about that serial killer and the music in her entrance was really weird compared to the others'. Plus, to escape from the window at the shower room you need to people, and maybe Soda could have been her accomplice... But eh, I don't remember Sonia being in the game... The only other person I can think of is Fuyuhiko, since the guy in the game acted pretty much like him and he was with Soda and Hajime before Tsumiki and Ibuki arrived.

Peko is sure trying to blame Hiyoko huh. "Do the announcement of the body includes the killer?" That's a pretty good question Nagito! I've been wondering that in this case (since that means some aside Hiyoko and Soda found Mahiru's body), but since in the first game it didn't include the killer I assumed it was the same here. Anyways... now that Peko is acting kinda strange about the bottle thing, I'm pretty sure she's the killer. Yup, so Hajime just pointed her out. Why Peko :( You were a pretty good character, and the most sexy of all ( :p ) Oh well, at least it's not Sonia. (And I realize I wrote that whole pharagraph for nothing lol) Since Fuyuhiko is defending her a lot, I suspect that: He found out about her sister being killed and knew it had something to do with Mahiru for whatever reason, and since Peko is probably the serial killer that only kills criminals, he asked her to kill her for killing her sister or something like that.

Yup, I knew it, she's Sparkling Justice! -insert the face here- haha Wait, so she isn't Sparkling Justice? A tool? Oooh I completely forgot about the envelope Fuyuhiko was carrying. FUYUHIKO IS THE KILLER?! Woah woah woah so Peko did kill her? This is so confusing... That whole story, crap.... WAIT SO FUYUHIKO FUCKING DIED TOO?! wAIT SO HE'S STILL ALIVE?! I swear if he ends up dead....

And... when Monokuma talked about Nagito reminded him about someone, he was talking about Naegi, right? And Monomi just said if the count reaches zero, the Ultimate Despair, Junko, will be back?....

Hikami

Just got this today, how's the replayability? I just glanced at the trophies and saw the report card ones.
Guessing you can't complete all of them in one play-through?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I've started the game today, what are the best skills to buy with the first 15 hope fragments you get?
I can't remember the costs, but I would recommend:

- Cool & Composed (slightly steadies your aim, though one of the pets gives you a skill to completely steady it)
- Upshift (increases aiming speed, VERY helpful for Improved Hangman's Gambit)
- Neural Liberation (Focus Gauge decreases at a slower rate during concentration)
- Delusion (Influence Gauge recovers over time during concentration)

& maybe if you've got any left over, Trigger Happy (Decreases delay between firing Truth Bullets)

Jintor

It's also annoying when you discover who the killer is prior to everyone else and have to wait to reach that 'point that killer out' stage.

I complained about this in game one too, yi absolutely hate missing shooting a statement because of last-second static or because it just speeds out of the way. Ffffff

Top Bottom