• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa 3 The End of Hope's Peak Academy |OT| Nagito Komaeda's Wild Ride Part Two

Status
Not open for further replies.

FluxWaveZ

I don't mind that Chiaki was real, even though it resulted in her horrible, horrible death. Ultimately it's helping to make Izuru more interesting.

We barely knew anything about Izuru before DR3. He could have been a more interesting person without a real Chiaki.

Like, what happened to the anger he clearly had at the end of DR:AE? It hinted at a more complex relationship between him and Junko that didn't hold true here.

Eumi

Chiaki being a real person adds nothing but a cheap outlet for Despair to happen in hamfisted and bad ways
It also undermines the whole reason she's a super perfect waifu-bait gamer girl big titted cat ear hoodie etc. etc. in DR2, as she's supposed to be an AI designed to get people around her to trust and like her. But now she apparently was real which means she's just a bland character who would be a Mary Sue if she hadn't been, you know, horribly murdered.

I really hate that none of DR0 was shown. Even just the Neurologist showing up would have been cool, but damn I don't think even that could have made the Despair arc better. I'd place this on the same level as the first DR anime, disappointing, glosses over elements that should be expanded on, and does nothing to develop its mass of characters any more than they had been in the game.

Junko's plan is still just as convoluted and luck dependant as Lex Luthor in Batman vs Superman. I have a little hope (lol) that the last episode of Future will redeem this arc, but I doubt it.

Mukuro was interesting before because she was more grey. She was mentally abused by Junko, but totally devoted and felt guilty for leaving her behind for Fenrir. DR1 chapters 1, 6, FTEs and School Mode made her seem like a more interesting and conflicted person who, while evil, wasn't so much in the same way as her deranged sister. Also, her being more mysterious helped attract people to the character, and people generally felt bad for her after her sister's betrayal.

Her final scene in Despair took the air out of that though, as she was probably closer to being happy to die for her sister. Like everything in Despair, she ended up being hamfisted fanservice. Which is a shame, because they could've explored her in a more interesting way than just a lovesick puppy. Exploring how Junko had her under her spell or even displaying it more would've been something since they didn't give her much interaction with anyone else.

It also undermines the whole reason she's a super perfect waifu-bait gamer girl big titted cat ear hoodie etc. etc. in DR2, as she's supposed to be an AI designed to get people around her to trust and like her. But now she apparently was real which means she's just a bland character who would be a Mary Sue if she hadn't been, you know, horribly murdered.

That's why I think they needed to depict Chiaki as suicidal, who was basically running on an expiration date until Chisa united the classroom and until she made friends with Hajime. Too much social anxiety to seek out help, but that she is an Ultimate student makes her not approachable. Hanging out with a Reserve Course student, particularly Hajime, and being given a purpose and a great group of friends helped her shed that anxiety. When Hajime stops showing up, we then can see Chiaki coming undone, even more so when she realizes how gone Hajime truly was.

By doing this, we essentially establish that Chiaki was fated to die - whether it be by Junko's hands or her own. To me, that is a way more interesting way to do a tragic character than what they did with her.

That's why I think they needed to depict Chiaki as suicidal, who was basically running on an expiration date until Chisa united the classroom and until she made friends with Hajime. Too much social anxiety to seek out help, but that she is an Ultimate student makes her not approachable. Hanging out with a Reserve Course student, particularly Hajime, and being given a purpose and a great group of friends helped her shed that anxiety. When Hajime stops showing up, we then can see Chiaki coming undone, even more so when she realizes how gone Hajime truly was.

By doing this, we essentially establish that Chiaki was fated to die - whether it be by Junko's hands or her own. To me, that is a way more interesting way to do a tragic character than what they did with her.

Hot damn I would have loved to see this.

Junko is the Ultimate Smeller, that's why only she can smell Mukuro

If a Mukuro is smelly but no one is there to smell it, is that Mukuro really smelly?

I dunno; in 1, she comments on how she didn't fit the role because she was atrociously rank - and if she truly was, I think people would have noticed. A fair amount of 1's cast is too polite to say, but if Makoto would blurt out "you're not as pretty as I thought," Leon or Mondo or Byakuya would have mentioned the smell.

At least they haven't bullshitted Chiaki into surviving
yet

waiting for izuru to reveal his shsl reviving skill /s

I dunno; in 1, she comments on how she didn't fit the role because she was atrociously rank - and if she truly was, I think people would have noticed. A fair amount of 1's cast is too polite to say, but if Makoto would blurt out "you're not as pretty as I thought," Leon or Mondo or Byakuya would have mentioned the smell.

well she was being junko at the time, so maybe as well as putting on makeup every day, she threw perfume on herself and no one would really mention elsewise about it

For me, it all goes:

1. Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair
2. Danganronpa: Trigger-Happy Havoc
3. Danganronpa 3: The Fall of Hope's Peak Academy - Mirai-hen
4. Danganronpa 3: The Fall of Hope's Peak Academy - Zetsubou-hen
5. Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls

I would say that there's a smallish gap between 1 and 3 Mirai-hen, a biggish gap between Mirai-hen and Zetsubou-hen, and a canyonesque gap between Zetsubou-hen and Ultra Despair Girls. Despite the downs, there were enough ups to pull me back up above water.

For me, it all goes:

I would say that there's a smallish gap between 1 and 3 Mirai-hen, a biggish gap between Mirai-hen and Zetsubou-hen, and a canyonesque gap between Zetsubou-hen and Ultra Despair Girls. Despite the downs, there were enough ups to pull me back up above water.

Would agree with your listing though in my case the differences go like DR2 in Heaven, DR1 atop Everest, Future a bit below sea level, Despair twenty thousand leagues below in the ocean, UDG burning in the fires of hell

You know what's interesting? You look at Persona and you see a huge shift from 3 to 4, where the characters are given greater emphasis than the story. You look at Devil Survivor, and Danganronpa, and you see the same. I would almost say that as far as characters go, Devil Survivor and Danganronpa feel like improvements were almost objectively present in both.

She's much grayer when compared to Junko's total black and white. While Junko was never not going to be a monster, as it took a personality overwrite and her memories getting erased on a daily basis for her to even resemble a non-terrible person, Mukuro could go either way. We see in DR0 and "Junko's" flavour events in DR1 that she's not as consumed by despair as you'd think she is. She's still a very broken person, since it comes with the territory of being Junko fucking Enoshima's next of kin, but the possibility is presented that she pretty much would've turned out fine (by DR standards) without Junko's influence. This is kinda what IF sets out to explore. It also gives her a lot of bombastic action scenes and people love those.

Also, she has a crush on Makoto and that's super kawaii desu

Thanks for this. I completely forgot about the Danganronpa 1 school events. It is kind of a shame how she seemed to have some depth there in comparison to...whatever the hell she is in DR3.

All these lists snubbing Magical Miricle Girl Monomi. We know who the real Danganronpa fans are now I guess.

Putting it at #1. is a waste of time. It's like putting Ocarina of Time into a Best. Games. Ever. contest on GameFAQs, it just becomes a matter of waiting for it to win.

For me, it all goes:

Would agree with your listing though in my case the differences go like DR2 in Heaven, DR1 atop Everest, Future a bit below sea level, Despair twenty thousand leagues below in the ocean, UDG burning in the fires of hell

Yep. Basically this, although I'd put DR2 and DR1 closer since I still really love the original.

kewlmyc

For me, it all goes:

Switch 4 and 5 and that's me. I still need to read Zero though.

PsionBolt

1 >>> 2 >>>>> AE > Despair > Zero > Future.

The gap in quality is very sharp between the first few entries, but after that, everything that's not an adventure game is pretty similarly poor. At least AE has Komaru.

Capndrake

DR2 > Despair > DR1 > Future > DRAE > DR0

DR1's the first and all but the more I look back on it the more flaws I see.

Don't really understand the hate Despair gets other than brainwashing being a little disappointing, I've enjoyed it immensely while Future's mostly had out of place fighting scenes or entire episodes where nothing happens.

DNAbro

Don't really understand the hate Despair gets other than brainwashing being a little disappointing, I've enjoyed it immensely while Future's mostly had out of place fighting scenes or entire episodes where nothing happens.

Despair made me like characters that I liked less.

Eumi

2->1------------>Future->AE--->Despair

I left out zero because it's not so much that the contents of it are bad, but that it completely and utterly failed since I saw the solution to the mystery the minute the main character was introduced. It's hard to tell whether that was because it was poorly written (which I must admit I lean towards) or I just got a lucky guess, so I don't want to call it garbage, but still.

But hey, apparently 3 didn't give a shit about it so why should I?

Gurl. DR1 might not be the best but how is it worse than Despair? I mean, it does kinda live and die by one's first impression and all the murder cases are really easy, but I'll take that any day over Despair's hocus pocus hokey pokey hobby lobby holly hobby approach to storytelling. Despair's lows were way lower and its heights were also lower imo.

Since we're all ranking stuff,

SDR2 > DR1 > DR0 = Future >>> DRAE > Despair

I'd rank Future about equal to DR0 since it completely destroyed Kyoko's character but kinda saved itself with Juzo so it sorta balances out. I almost ranked Despair over DRAE due to Juzo's presence, but the Komaru/Toko dynamic wins out over Despair's hideous and unnecessary character worship of Junko and Chiaki and its total destruction of SDR2's backstory.

DR1 >>> AE & DR0 > DR2 > Future > Despair

The first three all feel like they told their respective stories, while the latter three feel like tacked-on stories that don't do enough to establish the characters/world that we got in DR1.

2>1>Future>UDG>Despair

I fucking hated UDG but the Future episode dedicated to it allowed me to make peace with it. Never messed with any of the novels

Edit: Now that I think about it, it goes DR2>DR1>DR3>AE for me. Despair had its terrible moments but set up a lot of the best moments in future. Ranking them separately doesn't make sense.

Dub Junko evidently says "yaaas queen" upon meeting Izuru.

cWTDqgz.gif

PK Gaming

Dub Junko evidently says "yaaas queen" upon meeting Izuru.

Can confirm.

Definitely going to rewatch Despair via the Dub. It's not going to get significantly better, but the superior script will probably make it way more enjoyable.

EDIT: Mukuro and Junko are voiced by the same person in the dub. Nice touch!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom