• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa 3 The End of Hope's Peak Academy |OT| Nagito Komaeda's Wild Ride Part Two

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taruranto

r8zPkPS.jpg

I decided to headcanon "Despair" to "Radical 6" and there is nothing you can say that will change my mind.

They kinda work in the same way anyway.

What a pointless episode. Just total fanwank trying to tie up every loose end that isn't really a loose end.

Hey Kodaka WHEN THE FUCK DID DANGANRONPA ZERO HAPPEN???? HUH???

In the end, all I missed from not reading DR0 was a few cameos? Neat.

Weird that UDG got it's own episode though.

You missed three things, all complete fluff -

1. Ultimate Spy in the background of one scene
2. Matsuda looking out the window
3. Junko in her DR0 outfit in this episode

Both of the prequel things don't even acknowledge the other one exists, amazing.

Soriku

Dissemination through memes you say?

666.png

I decided to headcanon "Despair" to "Radical 6" and there is nothing you can say that will change my mind.

They kinda work in the same way anyway.

I was thinking of Radical 6 the last Future episode with the suicides.

Anyway I liked this episode for its connections to the games, even though I'm not a big fan of the brainwashing anime stuff (or anyone else really).

The only thing I liked were Junko's comments on Makoto at the end there. Why the fuck was Izuru talking about memes though like why the fuck.

The traditional definition of memes, memetic theory. An idea passed down through generations and cultures along with genes

I figured, but I didn't know people even used the other definition anymore.

Kojima did it

PK Gaming

Despair 11

Pretty bad

Rushed through nearly every plot point to set up for the 1st and 2nd games, half-assing just about every detail in the process. The recycling of some of the best songs from the second game was pretty egregious, and I really hate just how clumsy it was overall. Some chief concerns include:

-Not at all bothering to set up the creation of the virtual world (which was done by 3 Ultimates iirc, and used by the Future Foundation.).
-A.I Chiaki just... shows up. It's implied that Izuru made her, but her true creator should be Chihiro.
-The unnecessary hyping of Makoto. Every time the anime tries to imply that there's something special about him, it feels like they're missing the point of his character further and further. I mean in DR1, Junko DIDN'T see him coming at all. Hence the reason why she screams "WHO ARE YOU?!" after she loses to him. It was a genuine surprise.
-What happened to Yasuda? Or 90% of the plot points from DR: Zero for that matter? What happened to Mukuro's character?
-The Tragedy was done... very poorly.

Despair wasa pretty poor anime overall. There should have been one big anime with a few key flashbacks.

FluxWaveZ

Despair 11
And what's with establishing an actual narrative difference between Makoto and Nagito's "luck"? I've always liked the manifestation of that concept as a talent in DR, but this emphasis that Junko can somehow predict Nagito's luck and she can't do the same for Makoto? What, where'd that even come from?

The explanation for why the Izuru and Class 77 mindwipe so that a contradiction didn't arise was alright, I guess. Gives us the only meaningful Izuru characterization there has been to this point regarding his apathy, with the interest in seeing whether hope or despair pulls through, without really caring which one wins.

I like that they addressed why Junko became an Ultimate Fashionista, though, and it's what I had thought before. Less notable in the story DR3 presents, but it makes sense with what the games had presented, and that she wanted to disseminate her societal influence through venues as subtly significant as fashion.

Boring as all heck and continuing to beat the dead horse that is plot assassination.

And yes, they not only managed to make Junko uninteresting, but they actually decided to brainwash Nagito and make all of his delusional/manic proclamations fall flat in that state.
I mean, I guess it's a bit more nebulous in his case because there are lines where he makes it sound like he still has control of his own self, and that he's just going along with the despair ride for the sake of hope, but still.
It's not right.

Demoli

I mean, if Nagito could predict his own luck, then so could Junko probably

Both lucks are quite different tbh, Makoto's is quite subtle while Nagito's is a force of nature.

FluxWaveZ

Both lucks are quite different tbh, Makoto's is quite subtle while Nagito's is a force of nature.

But Nagito can't predict his own luck, he trusts in it. That's extremely different, and unless it's an isolated moment like drawing the single stick with a red mark which can easily be foreseen or putting a revolver to his head and pulling the trigger with 5 bullets loaded, he's not going around knowing what's going to happen next based on his decisions. I'm sure he's said as much multiple times.

It'd be exactly the same if Makoto actually trusted his luck as well, instead of not really caring or thinking about it (mainly because it probably wasn't intended to be an emphasized talent of his until DR3).

I can buy that Nagito's luck is a force of nature while Makoto's is more subtle—I've said as much in this thread before—but that doesn't make one predictable and the other not. The example they used to emphasize this was
Makoto slipping on a piece of paper to avoid the wrench thrown by Junko. The exact same thing would have happened to Nagito, or maybe in his case someone would have walked in front of him and gotten hit instead.

PK Gaming

No, that's wrong!

(lol)

Oj6RvAW.png

aEUbzFr.png

Echoing Flux's sentiment. The anime is basically trying to imply that Makoto's luck functions in a similar way as Nagito's (and arguably better since Junko can't predict it), and that's pretty weak. Makoto just has absurdly, good conventional luck.

Wait, so what exactly was
Kamakura's plan? How did he forsee the NWP?
Also who exactly was part of class 77, Ryota or Twogami?

How much time passed between the episode's lead in and the Tragedy?

How much time passed between the Tragedy and the locking up of class 78? The anime made it seem like not much time has passed. Also what was the full name?

I enjoyed Side:Despair except for the few events I would've liked to see more in depth were just kind of sped through? Also, the fact that Kamakura was just kind of....there...

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
But Nagito can't predict his own luck, he trusts in it. That's extremely different, and unless it's an isolated moment like drawing the single stick with a red mark which can easily be foreseen or putting a revolver to his head and pulling the trigger with 5 bullets loaded, he's not going around knowing what's going to happen next based on his decisions. I'm sure he's said as much multiple times.

It'd be exactly the same if Makoto actually trusted his luck as well, instead of not really caring or thinking about it (mainly because it probably wasn't intended to be an emphasized talent of his until DR3).

I can buy that Nagito's luck is a force of nature while Makoto's is more subtle—I've said as much in this thread before—but that doesn't make one predictable and the other not. The example they used to emphasize this was
Makoto slipping on a piece of paper to avoid the wrench thrown by Junko. The exact same thing would have happened to Nagito, or maybe in his case someone would have walked in front of him and gotten hit instead.

One difference I can see between Nagito's and Makoto's luck, is that Nagito sort of acknowledges and embraces his luck. Makoto doesn't think much of it, and its manifests far more subtly. Makoto's luck also feel more like anti-misfortune armor, where Nagito's luck feels like it actually follows his will.

Maybe one dumb way to put it, is that Makoto has defensive luck, where Nagito has offensive luck.

Despair 11

Saying it ended on a whimper is an understatement. It ticked a bunch of boxes, but in the same lame and rushed way as every plot point it attempted. Hilariously, it doesn't even tick boxes that could've been interesting.

It didn't touch Zero, the NWP's creation or even AI Chiaki. Well, it vaguely hints at her creation, but changes her creator from Chihiro to Izuru.

Overall, I'm just disappointed with this half of the series. They shouldn't have even bothered with it. I would've preferred even 2-4 extra Future episodes over this.

Despair 11

I'm pretty disappointed we didn't see izuru run around single handily capture everyone to throw into new world order

anyway, quickly goes through whatever's left to show

no surprise they didn't touch zero though, probably for the best considering how unimportant twilight ended up being

TWILT

Banned
Despair 11

God I am glad this is over now. The anime overall was poor and if not for a few cool moments (mostly with Nagito) and a somewhat promising first few episodes, it was incredibly disappointing. Aside from not focusing on the DR2 cast nearly enough, it gave me answers to questions that didn't really need to be asked...and said answers are kind of garbage. I would have really preferred the Despair didn't exist (and honestly, I really should have seen nothing, but trouble when they made Chiaki a real person.) I mean, if the job was to cause me to go to despair, then I guess it worked...but for all the wrong reasons.

And what's with Hajime meeting Chiaki at the end like that? Is it implied that Izuru creates AI Chiaki? I thought it was supposed to be Chihiro (or well, Alter Ego I guess) that created her (they looked similar, Chihiro is a computer programmer and they both share the same birthdays). What's the point of this retcon? To make the Izuru x Chiaki ship deeper or something? Sigh...

In conclusion on Despair arc: the show was actually kinda cool in its role of providing context for future arc. Seeing Chisa, a character we barely knew, die in the first episode and then switching gears to a light-hearted show about her interactions with class 77 was a great way to kick this off. The Seiko-Izayoi-Ruruka love triangle in future would've been completely shit had it not been for seeing those characters in the past, and instead that made it only kind of shit (because fuck Ruruka). And of course, our boy Juzo. His whole arc through the series was an interesting love-hate relationship, but despair 10 and future 11 wrapped it up rather nicely.

Unfortunately, anything relating to Danganronpa 1 and 2 was just terrible. I don't really want to beat this horse anymore, but the video thing for Chisa, the Chiaki thing for class 77, were both well below my what my imagination had expected of these pivotal moments. You might say I asked way too much of it. Of course it's not gonna be as good as your unrealistic expectations for it. And I guess that's kind of the point; it was never going to beat what I imagined so they frankly should never have tried if they didn't have an absolutely spectacular game plan for it. And Hajizuru was terrible up to the very end. He. Did. NOTHING.

My reaction to this half of the anime is the opposite of what I expected. I was really looking forward to seeing class 77's fall to despair and was initially off-put by how much of the future arc stuff was getting in the way of that, but by the end, it was the other way around.

Maebe

Ending was as
boring
as expected. I don't know how to feel about Izuru suddenly having an interest in hope/despair too and which is "stronger". The sheer degree of boredom he exhibited in chp0 toward the world as a whole never gave me that impression.

Nanami makes no sense now. Who even made her AI? Chihiro never met her to replicate her, Izuru knew her for a few seconds while she was dying and also said he was going to wipe his own memories and those of the rest of the class, so how would any of them create her?

DNAbro

I only consider Despair as a supplement to Future. Cause by itself it is quite bad. Retcons and character assassinations. Timeline seems weird as hell too.

As said before, some things are better left unexplained.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
I only consider Despair as a supplement to Future. Cause by itself it is quite bad. Retcons and character assassinations. Timeline seems weird as hell too.

As said before, some things are better left unexplained.

Yep.

Should have just been Future arc with flashbacks of some of the members.

If they were going to go this route,then they should have shown how everything in DR2 was set up. Instead it's just, oh well, the world turned to shit btw, here's AI Chiaki now.

That was a good episode , despair - 11.

Despite what was shown , it was still a working and valid scenario that works.

There always was a clear difference between makoto and nagito luck in both games , so i don't know why showing that suddenly make people go up in arms.

Again , junko plan , as showcased in despair 11 , was much more realistic and more intresting to me than the wild theories that danganronpa zero put on the table. Danganronpa zero is now not cannon , as it should be.

Can't wait for the last 2 episodes.

I'm kinda sad for yukizome , her character felt much more tragic than juzo. Yukizome was forced to interract with the man she loved for 2 years for the sole reason to make him fall into despair , and she did , if not for makoto luck. All those students she trusted, she loved , she couldn't help but toss them aside and didn't felt anything seeing all those memories be destroyed.
Yukizome is such a tragic heroine , quite a fan favorite of mine now. I spend the entire show hating juzo , and at the end , i still despise him.. what a shit character .. there was dozen of other way to handle things aside from giving in to junko threats and he messed up in every step on every episode he appeared in.
Saving naegi from suicide doesn't erase all the bullshit he spouted and all the mistakes he did and his self sacrifice happenned way too late

MANUELF

Banned
Danganronpa 0 happened between Episodes 10 and 11 of despair right? Also did we ever see the ultimate spy? If so I missed him, sadly the show wasnt that good since Junko appeared because it became the Junko show since then but it had its moments like Hopes Peak Academy tragedy
Also HOW MANY CLASSES THERE WERE OF ULTIMATES?????? We know there is only one 78 class and the 77 class has at least two but it seems like there were a whole lot of classes on there, also is hope peak academy a highschool or a college? I even got confused in that

I'm not completely sure what's going in the classroom scene where
they all start talking about doing good things. It sounded way too much like they were actually earnest about what they were saying.

Looks like the brainwashing makes view things all opposite, like Teruteru talks about healthy food but we see him grabbing a bunch of junk food. But then that doesn't really make sense because they're fully aware that they are all ultimate despairs so they shouldn't be saying they want to do "good things" in earnest.

I'm just gonna have to go with them mocking their old selves, or maybe they're just saying those things because it makes them feel more despair?

the direction was fucked up in that scene.

kewlmyc

Danganronpa 0 happened between Episodes 10 and 11 of despair right? Also did we ever see the ultimate spy? If so I missed him, sadly the show wasnt that good since Junko appeared because it became the Junko show since then but it had its moments like Hopes Peak Academy tragedy
Also HOW MANY CLASSES THERE WERE OF ULTIMATES?????? We know there is only one 78 class and the 77 class has at least two but it seems like there were a whole lot of classes on there, also is hope peak academy a highschool or a college? I even got confused in that

He was a short cameo in the first episode I think. When Chisa went to the ultimate animator's house.

Drago

Pretty much my reaction to Despair side in an image.

It had some bright spots for sure but I'm just glad it's over at this point, never thought I'd say that but the last few episodes have just been aggressively bad. Despair side has pretty much retroactively ruined the rest of the series for me in terms of backstory to the point where I'm just gonna pretend it never happened... I used to think people that did that for other series with disappointing followups were being silly but now I understand, lol. Maybe I'm just overreacting though. I really wish they would have just done a 24 episode future series with occasional flashback episodes because I'm really liking Future side a lot despite it's many flaws, and so many of it's problems could be fixed if they just had more time to tell their story and flesh out their characters and give everything more time to breathe. Oh well, I just hope future 12 and Hope side don't shit the bed and they manage a good finale, I'm looking forward to them regardless.

I just wanna replay Danganronpa 2 again...

FluxWaveZ

the direction was fucked up in that scene.

Yeah, I can't say I understood what the hell was going on there.

I used to think people that did that for other series with disappointing followups were being silly but now I understand, lol.

Yeah, same here. I kinda understood the feeling before thanks to StarCraft II, but this is bringing it all back in an even greater way.

At least, I might have a greater opinion for the writing in the games themselves whenever I revisit them.

Permanently A

98b.jpg

also the scene with Jin saying "well there's chaos on the school grounds, time to hunker down until it blows over so we can rebuild the entire world" was hilarious. Authorities in the DR universe apparently have the same level of competence as Juzo's security.

ChrisD

I've really enjoyed this arc from the very beginning,
but i've gotta be totally honest, that was pretty awful.

My thoughts are roughly this. That was a pretty bad ending.
Izuru making (or at least hijacking) the NWP like some people here were guessing is a retcon, but it kind of makes sense? It works with me..
Doesn't make Despair Arc's ending any better. It was just really dull, and felt like little more than Despair being said over and over.

Though I will say that seeing
DR1's cast put up the blockades was pretty neat. We knew they did so from game 1, but seeing it and seeing WHY is neat to me.

Oh yeah, seeing memes used so seriously was hilarious. I know the word has an actual meaning, but nobody thinks of it that way anymore, lol.

Soriku

also the scene with Jin saying "well there's chaos on the school grounds, time to hunker down until it blows over so we can rebuild the entire world" was hilarious. Authorities in the DR universe apparently have the same level of competence as Juzo's security.

I mean this concept was already introduced in Danganronpa 1 right? They locked themselves in to protect themselves from the outside world, at least temporarily.

\Oh yeah, seeing memes used so seriously was hilarious. I know the word has an actual meaning, but nobody thinks of it that way anymore, lol.

I was already introduced to the actual serious theory of memes from MGS/Richard Dawkins so I didn't think much of it :x

Permanently A

I mean this concept was already introduced in Danganronpa 1 right? They locked themselves in to protect themselves from the outside world, at least temporarily.

No I mean what's funny about it is making the jump from "the students have gone crazy" to "well I guess the world is fucked then."

Soriku

No I mean what's funny about it is making the jump from "the students have gone crazy" to "well I guess the world is fucked then."

Not too weird considering the whole "If Hope's Peak (the world's hope) falls, why should the rest of world cling to hope?" concept too. I mean that was basically Junko's whole plan, to get the world to fall into despair that way.

Might be silly but nothing new for the series.

I'm just gonna have to go with them mocking their old selves, or maybe they're just saying those things because it makes them feel more despair?

My interpretation was that they were fucking around and mocking their past selves and how normally happy scenes like that play out.

I used to think people that did that for other series with disappointing followups were being silly but now I understand, lol. Maybe I'm just overreacting though.

Sadly these are my feelings right now. I still love the games, but this has been a massive downer. 3 takes an especially massive dump on 2. To be honest, I don't think I would recommend anything other than DR1, 2 and 0 moving forward. I've liked Future overall, but you need Despair to have a full appreciation of what's going on. Still, I'm kinda worried about how they'll handle the ending for Future
/Hope

Ultimate Spy was in episode 5 or 6. It was a blink and you'll miss it cameo as Impostor was leaving Ryota's apartment.

HPA is a high school.

One good thing is they didn't backpedal on despair episode 10
chiaki death
. Despair episode 11 was basically a summary episode of what the final result is and how it sets up the games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom