• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa 3 The End of Hope's Peak Academy |OT| Nagito Komaeda's Wild Ride Part Two

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well when you get right down to it, despair is unpredictable because hope is the default. Compare it to hope in a world filled with despair, and you see:

1. Makoto Naegi managing to fight against all odds to overcome Junko (who, let's not forget, was the only person Junko could not get a read on)
2. Nagito Komaeda's actions and behavior for the sake of hope are so wild, unpredictable, and crazy

PsionBolt

You do realise that the whole point of the DR1 cast showing up is to highlight how unimportant the DR2 cast is, right?
[...]
Until of course Hajime goes Super Hope and saves the day, proving that everything they went through was in fact all for a reason, despite Junko not intending that. The DR1 cast aren't stealing the show from the 2 cast, the 2 cast are stealing it from the 1 cast.

Yes, I understand this angle. I don't think it was well-executed.

If the idea is that the DR2s are proving their worth and DR1 isn't such a big deal after all, then it's a hindrance to that theme to have the DR2s not named Hajime basically stop existing whatsoever in the finale (which traces back to the DR1s being the problem, since it's them who take away agency from the DR2s).

The entire game of MGS2 DR2 was already set up entirely in the context of DR1, with scenarios and even whole characters there purely for the purpose of creating similarity (and, as always happens in consequence of that, emphasizing difference). I mean, not even I'm dense enough to miss Anagram-Naegi and Fat Toges -- they really didn't need to be any more obvious with that whole deal, because it was already embedded throughout before the DR1s shows up. But rather than making good on their theme, they undermined it with a last-minute dose of hypocrisy, and it did more harm than good.

That's my reading of it, anyway.

Eumi

Yes, I understand this angle. I don't think it was well-executed.

If the idea is that the DR2s are proving their worth and DR1 isn't such a big deal after all, then it's a hindrance to that theme to have the DR2s not named Hajime basically stop existing whatsoever in the finale (which traces back to the DR1s being the problem, since it's them who take away agency from the DR2s).

The entire game of MGS2 DR2 was already set up entirely in the context of DR1, with scenarios and even whole characters there purely for the purpose of creating similarity (and, as always happens in consequence of that, emphasizing difference). I mean, not even I'm dense enough to miss Anagram-Naegi and Fat Toges -- they really didn't need to be any more obvious with that whole deal, because it was already embedded throughout before the DR1s shows up. But rather than making good on their theme, they undermined it with a last-minute dose of hypocrisy, and it did more harm than good.

That's my reading of it, anyway.
You know, MGS2 really is a great comparison. It's been brought up a bunch but man it's weird how much those two series overlap. Like, at first it was kind of a joke but I do wonder if the MGS series was a big influence.

About DR2..., does anybody here think that there's a logical basis for how Hajime avoided being deleted after DR2? Wasn't it established that the option they had was to have themselves deleted or unleash Junko clones into the wild?

Permanently A

About DR2..., does anybody here think that there's a logical basis for how Hajime avoided being deleted after DR2? Wasn't it established that the option they had was to have themselves deleted or unleash Junko clones into the wild?

There's no logic to it. They just hoped themselves out of the situation.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist

I'm going to go with it being a mix of Hope, and Hajime technically being the Ultimate Everything.

Eumi

Actually that might be something DR3 actually made better, since we now know that Izuru wanted to see if chiakis hope could overcome despair, he may well have altered it so that they wouldn't be deleted should they win.

The best excuse I can give to that is both Izuru's influence and the state of the NWP at the end of the game. It was literally crashing down, but as that wasn't touched on the narrative I can't properly call it the reason for the apparent survival of their game memories.

So I guess this guy died during this episode
latest
Would have been cool to see a short cameo
Didn't the anime imply that Peko did it?
I don't remember how it went down, but given that in the anime Sato convinced Mahiru that she didn't commit the crime and that apparently Mahiru didn't take any photos of the crime scene, it's probable that someone else in their yakuza clan did it because the anime wants to paint the 77th class as almost saints.
zero wouldn't work animated though, way too obvious who ryouko actually is that way
I think the biggest problem would be Junko!Mukuro, since it would be obvious to fans of the series.
Izuru is just a stupid character anyway

Why doesn't he cut that hair?
4olxpkrknbnx.gif

I don't remember how it went down, but given that in the anime Sato convinced Mahiru that she didn't commit the crime and that apparently Mahiru didn't take any photos of the crime scene, it's probable that someone else in their yakuza clan did it because the anime wants to paint the 77th class as almost saints.

Well, about that, Mukuro did notice that Peko had killed before, so they didn't discard the possibility she had killed Sato.

I think Despair could have used the brainwashing stuff, but they needed it to be a final step rather than just that switch. So for instance:

1. Have Junko become friends with Mikan, and slowly pull her away from her circle of friends and pulling Ultimate Imposter along with her due to their friendship
2. Have Junko reveal that Peko murdered Sato on Fuyuhiko's orders to Mahiru, which would also pull Hiyoko along
3. Have Junko manipulate Sonia, alternating between misinforming her and emphasizing the shit she has gone through. This would cause Gundham and Kazuichi to become entangled in her despair.

etc. I'm sure they could do something worthwhile with Nekomaru, Akane, Teruteru, and Ibuki, while Nagito would be working on his own machinations and Chiaki would be killed as the final tipping point into despair. If we saw the class slowly dwindle - starting with the Twilight Syndrome quartet, then Mikan, then Ultimate Imposter, then Sonia, Gundham, and Kazuichi, etc. etc. etc., it would have that killing school element where more characters begin to disappear over time and the remaining characters are given greater focus.

So will we ever learn what happened to Teruteru's mom? :(
Well, about that, Mukuro did notice that Peko had killed before, so they didn't discard the possibility she had killed Sato.
Hmmm yeah, and Peko did say in the last episode that she wouldn't kill anymore. Kinda funny that the anime ended up making things even more confusing.
Don't even understand why his hair is that long. It's cool...but confusing.
I think the explanation is that in the 6 months or year that he was being experimented on they never cared to cut his hair haha.

PK Gaming

It's supposed make him look terrifying/alien

There's no explicit reason for it because it's supposed to convey a certain feeling of dread and incomprehensible despair.

Incidentally, "conveyance" is something DR2 excelled at and something DR3 completely lacks but that's besides the point.

People have too much free time. Will this train crash and burn this week?
I must admit that I'm going to miss the theorizing and creativity that Danganronpa 3, even if the final product is flawed.

As has been said already, it is supposed to be an element that drove home the idea of an otherworldly aura for Kamukura; the perfect superhuman and the manifestation of Hope's Peak ideology that is already beyond the scope and pleas of the common folk, brought down to earth and supposedly broken by Junko - an Ultimate Despair. It's just that DR3 failed to give him a purpose beyond that of a prop for Junko and simply lacked the presence he had shown in previous installments of the series and thus, faded to the background.

Of course, hair takes years to grow that long, but let's ignore that aspect of his design.

I don't really mind the Izuru swerve. That Junko was bullshitting on Izuru made him more interesting, and the idea of Izuru being too far above hope and despair is interesting to me. They just need to make sure that they resolve it in Future 12, because if they don't wrap it up in a nice little bow, I'll consider 3 pretty disappointing - though not as much as Zero Time Dilemma.

Junko. A thousand times Junko. It's absolutely atrocious. Not even good in a so-bad way, or a funny way, or an ironic way -- just unendingly, astonishingly bad.

Which sucks because I figured Jamie Marchie would do a good job since I really liked her as Panty in PSG (doing the 'dumb blonde' voice). But yeeeeah back when I checked out the Funi dub of the original I realized it was no good. Funimation dubs in general have gotten pretty lazy the past couple years.

It sucks we'll never get to hear Erin Fitzgerald's Junko for DR3; she was probably the best actor in its dubcast.

UberTag

Man, I just spent the past 5 or so hours marathoning the past 5 weeks worth of episodes. I feel a little overwhelmed... and yet everything more or less played out the way I envisioned it would. A little bummed out I couldn't keep tabs on this thread over the second half after being so active initially but that's what a backlog will do to you. I'm actually curious as to what loose ends actually remain to be wrapped up this week and what hope they will bring.

Ponn

Banned
So i'm sorry if this was already covered but i'm still a little confused about this whole Funi/Crunchyroll shenanigans. Their emails and info just don't give enough information or time frames and when I tried to look at their FAQ every topic was blank. I get that the subs won't be handled by Funi anymore and thats why my sub pass got cancelled but apparently they are still showing up on Funi but not yet on Crunchyroll and I can't find a date when that switch over will happen. My last day for funi sub is today (and they are usually late with the episodes) so do I just have to wait for these last two episodes this week to pop up on Crunchyroll now?

Also who exactly was part of class 77, Ryota or Twogami?
Both of them were part of the class, since there's an empty seat during each episode which belonged to Fatogami. Now, it would have been interesting to see the 77th Class reaction when the actual Togami arrives to the school :p
He probably killed her then made love to her cold corpse.
That's not nearly enough time to grow hair that fabulous.

Also I feel Teruteru's mom met a bad fate, sadly :/
Probably :(

And you're right about the time, Ultimate Hair it is :p
People have too much free time. Will this train crash and burn this week?

I must admit that I'm going to miss the theorizing and creativity that Danganronpa 3, even if the final product is flawed.
That image is PERFECT
;_;
And yeah, DR3 being an anime did have some benefits after all.
Junko. A thousand times Junko. It's absolutely atrocious. Not even good in a so-bad way, or a funny way, or an ironic way -- just unendingly, astonishingly bad.
Hmmm I remember watching the last episode of the first DR anime dubbed and Junko's VA there actualy sounded good from what I remember.

Demoli

Future 12

Why is it a goddamn recap episode its the last episode dammit.

Please tell me Asahina is just passed out and not actually dead.

Ending was funny at least.

Apparently the commercial at the end
acknowledged that Kirigiri hadn't appeared in the dead guys recap? Or at least they said something about Kyoko.

Maybe she IS alive after all because, uh... There were TWO Kyokos!

Nah, I hope she is not. They didn't explain the 16th participant identity, right? Maybe it was Hajime from the start.

Despair 12

I kind of had faith that they could pull this off with having both this and the hope episode Thursday, but they spent two thirds of the episode recapping and now I'm back to wondering how they could possibly wrap this up in one episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom