• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa 3 The End of Hope's Peak Academy |OT| Nagito Komaeda's Wild Ride Part Two

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm basically self inserting as Izuru at this point, lol. Everything is boring.

I'm only tagging along to see if they'll pull anything interesting. None of the characters in the spotlight are people I care about so as my internet buddies lay surprised and grief-stricken for kyoko and nanami I'm just casually observing where it goes.

Soriku

I want to see the definitive poll: mindhack vs brainwashing

They are the new nanomachines, so disappointing

I didn't have a problem with Mindhack. Just that the villain's plot was really anticlimactic. Especially after going on about C O M P L E X M O T I V A T I O N S.

The brainwashing is anticlimactic too.

Yeah, double wet farts. At least V3 might be better, I guess. Sigh, it's been a really disappointing Q3. (P5 not included of course :p)

I didn't have a problem with Mindhack. Just that the villain's plot was really anticlimactic. Especially after going on about C O M P L E X M O T I V A T I O N S.

The brainwashing is anticlimactic too.
Both were anticlimactic, but mind hack also had the downside of (spoilers for you know what)
introducing a wholly new concept into an established universe in a supremely contrived way in the last 15 minutes of the game
and honestly it's the biggest gaming disappointment I've ever had. In terms of letdown, DR3 doesn't even come close- not that brainwasing is much better, but at least DR2 didn't leave the grandest payoff to Zetsubou-Hen or, hell, DR3 overall.

Permanently A

[HOPE] will likely deliver you from despair in a few hours.

Don't worry, gals. [Hope] will save us from raw hell in aboouuuut five to six hours.

Fkkw4Kq.jpg

Yasumi

Banned

Brainwashing wasn't too far out, we had plenty of context of Ultimate abilities being able to manipulate things on a grand scale. Danganronpa is written in such a way that I can accept it, after sneeze-activated serial killer, Mondo butter, mass despair, digital rehab, ghost possession, etc.

Mindhack in ZE3 was almost completely out of nowhere, as we had no context for this ability existing in the series previously, no series-long buildup to convey such a thing existing, [ZE3 spoilers]
and the character that used it was always just out of view, and introduced in such a way that I thought I'd missed an entire ending.
It just felt like Uchikoshi didn't know how to tie everything together, so he didn't really try to. The "Make up your own ending" Twitter comment just made me even more disappointed.

Dave1988

Wait, there's still one more episode to air this Thursday, right? This can't be the final conclusion to the series, right? RIGHT?!

GSR

Future 12

lol

So Tengan really was the mastermind, no twists I guess other than that he was really doing it for -hope-. I wonder if they'll explain why he bothered to give Mitarai an NG action and made him play instead of just locking him up and making him watch lmao

It's amazing how quickly I went from "oh hey cool" to "you've got to be fucking kidding me" for the theater scene. First Junko and then it turning into a recap to fill the last seven minutes.

"Hey guys what if we ended the anime about despair brainwashing with - wait for it, guys - guys, listen - guys, what if we ended with HOPE brainwashing"

whatever

I'm sure everyone will want to be chatting about the latest episodes, but I just watched episode 7 of both arcs and I wanted to share my thoughts.

Up until this point I'd mostly been enjoying the anime. Sure, I didn't find it a mind-blowing experience like I did with the first two games, but it's been a fun distraction and a mostly good way to tie up all the storylines so far.

I felt like episode 7 of the Future Arc
was a way for the writers just to get rid of the UDG storylines. Although I wasn't completely sold on Monaca as Junko 2.0, to see her just give up on everything and fly off was a really... ehh way to end it. And then it felt like the writers wanted to give Komaru and Toko some kind of tie to the over-arching plot, but couldn't really think of anything, so just gave them that line about Makoto leading to the death of one of his friends from the killing game.

With that said, I did love seeing Towa City again with its red skies and Monokumas everywhere, and I loved that Komaru used her link bullet to save them at the end.

As for episode 7 of Despair Arc,
I enjoyed it much better but I'm really struggling with the mutual killing of the student council. Having played two games with a similar premise, I don't understand how the council came to literally slaughtering each other so quickly. Is there something I'm missing here? Is it fleshed out more in any of the novels or something?

Soriku

Yeah, double wet farts. At least V3 might be better, I guess. Sigh, it's been a really disappointing Q3. (P5 not included of course :p)

Both were anticlimactic, but mind hack also had the downside of (spoilers for you know what)
introducing a wholly new concept into an established universe in a supremely contrived way in the last 15 minutes of the game
and honestly it's the biggest gaming disappointment I've ever had. In terms of letdown, DR3 doesn't even come close- not that brainwasing is much better, but at least DR2 didn't leave the grandest payoff to Zetsubou-Hen or, hell, DR3 overall.

Zero Escape spoilers:
IIRC it was established Brother could read minds in VLR, so the Mindhack ability didn't seem so random.

I'm sure everyone will want to be chatting about the latest episodes, but I just watched episode 7 of both arcs and I wanted to share my thoughts.

Up until this point I'd mostly been enjoying the anime. Sure, I didn't find it a mind-blowing experience like I did with the first two games, but it's been a fun distraction and a mostly good way to tie up all the storylines so far.

I felt like episode 7 of the Future Arc
was a way for the writers just to get rid of the UDG storylines. Although I wasn't completely sold on Monaca as Junko 2.0, to see her just give up on everything and fly off was a really... ehh way to end it. And then it felt like the writers wanted to give Komaru and Toko some kind of tie to the over-arching plot, but couldn't really think of anything, so just gave them that line about Makoto leading to the death of one of his friends from the killing game.

With that said, I did love seeing Towa City again with its red skies and Monokumas everywhere, and I loved that Komaru used her link bullet to save them at the end.

As for episode 7 of Despair Arc,
I enjoyed it much better but I'm really struggling with the mutual killing of the student council. Having played two games with a similar premise, I don't understand how the council came to literally slaughtering each other so quickly. Is there something I'm missing here? Is it fleshed out more in any of the novels or something?

Future 7 seemed to be more like them trying to get UDG out of the way than them actually expanding upon its place in the narrative. The whole thing ended up being completely pointless to DR3, much like... a lot of DR3's own plot points lmao.

As for the killing game, this is the first time we ever got to see it first-hand. The games and DR0 only dropped the vaguest of details about it.

mrmickfran

I have a friend who recently caught up with the series (up to episode 10 Future I think).

She saw Kyoko's death and thought nothing of it since she thought that Future side was a prequel in the series (idk how she thought that).

The despair on her face when I told her that Future side is last in timeline and Kyoko was dead for good

Future 12

NdoIm7.gif

Seriously?

So the whole reason for the killings was to force Mitarai to go ballistic and brainwash the world with hope? Really? Kodaka was really phoning it when writing this.

The only saving grace for this thing is for Izuru to come and bitchslap Mitarai, if only for the catharsis. The anime will still be trash though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom