• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa 3 The End of Hope's Peak Academy |OT| Nagito Komaeda's Wild Ride Part Two

Status
Not open for further replies.
And some of them were aftereffects-type 2d rigs. My point is that it's intentional.

I mean, yeah. There's a clash of two different art styles and it looks funky and that's kinda where my commentary on the issue ends. I'm not really complaining.

Do I need to watch the end of Despair? That was utter crap so I gave up like 2 episodes ago. I guess I will finish the last 2 Future/hope episodes, but man this was such a humongous disappointment.

If you wanna. Nothing unexpected really happens and it's a pretty bad episode overall.

Ryan_MSF

fansubs slow as shit tonight, it's monday all over again!

Think I may call it for the night, If the episode is super lame I won't feel as salty if I end up staying awake all night for it.

fansubs slow as shit tonight, it's monday all over again!

Think I may call it for the night, If the episode is super lame I won't feel as salty if I end up staying awake all night for it.

At this point I'm going to wait for the Funimation subs. I don't want to diminish my last time with these characters (except Nagito).

Future should have been a normal trial instead of this stupid ass killing game that was dumb as fuck, in every sense of the word.
it shouldve never been a killing game at all. this was the opportunity to bring the full world of danganronpa into the story, and instead we get less of a look than fucking ultra despair girls.

But as killing games go, this shit was dumb. It removed everything great about the killing games from the video games. All the intrigue gone, all the wonder, all the coercion. Just forced people die. In the end, 0 payoff as well as 1 guy caused the whole thing and his reasoning was fucking pathetic

Bowlie

Banned
They explained how AI Chiaki came to life... I guess since Chihiro created NWP, with the ability to create an AI based on memories, she can still call Chihiro her "father".

Lol at that Elite Force or whatever. A group of super-heroes with similar skills/appearances (a blonde girl with a ponytail and a guy with a scar on his eye just like Gundham) to Class 77th's. Why were they never used?

Dumb and fanservice-y as people mentioned it, but I liked this episode.

Drago

Hope Arc

lmao. trash
DR3 never happened

doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it though. Fuckin yelped once Nagito appeared I'm not going to lie. Pure schlock. But holy shit did this anime ever ruin DR2. Everything that gave that game weight has been waived away like it was nothing and that infuriates me. Honestly the entire anime retroactively feels fucking pointless, the ending feels entirely disconnected from the rest of the series. It's just a DR2 wank and putting Naegi on a pedestal as usual. And jesus christ all the DR1 characters survived, great. Kirigiri doesn't even have a dead eye everything is totally fine. Munakata ended up being completely pointless. Every side character died. God damn spineless ending and I'm just glad it's over. I'm kinda rambling maybe I'll go into more detail some other time idk. This was so much worse than ZTD.

Also before I forget "AI Chiaki happened because everyone wanted to see her again!" FUUUUUUUUUUUCK YOOUOUOUOUOUDIHFJKHFSD

Save us V3.

FluxWaveZ

Nope, I can't. I really can't. I wish I could, but I can't. I wanted that episode to end as quickly as possible while I was watching it.

I can't stand the most cloying of wrap-ups for a story like this. It is the most unsatisfying ending that there could have been for me.

The moment that they were showing the DR2 character video threatening the world with despair, I was like "Oh neat, maybe they actually did do something cool and unexpected after all." Nope. Then Makoto was crying about Kirigiri and I was like, "Well... I guess they kept her dead, even though it was a stupid death. Well, unless in the next moments..." And, yep.

The return of the DR2 cast was all sorts of crappy. No design update for the most part, which doesn't make sense, and what they actually did in this episode was the most frivolous nonsense there could be. Goes counter to DR2's ending; devalues it. Would have been okay with Nagito, but the rest of the "dead"?

I remember telling someone in this thread earlier about how I feared that what they had in store for the DR2 cast would be saccharine and overly optimistic. That person was arguing that, even were they to be restored, they would have to deal with their actions and having messed up bodies and blah blah. Yeah, sure, that ending really showed that they're bummed out about life and are not looking forward to their future in the most hopeful way imaginable.

Hope

This entire show was so fucking pointless, but
I can't deny that Hope left me grinning ear to ear. It was stupid fanservice but I happen to love stupid fanservice. Terrible writing, but idc we get to see the SDR2 kids be awesome and Kirigiri got deus ex machina'd back to life after all. I'll take it. This show is still shit, but I'll take it.

4/10

So Nagito was the only one who actually mutilate his body? That's extremely disappointing.

I hate this DR2 didn't do nothing shit so much. Game is fucking ruined.

Burbeting

Banned
At this point I feel Kodaka's strengths lie in writing characters and setting up atmosphere/mysteries. But when it comes to giving satisfying conclusions and creating rich lore.... that's definitely not his alley.

At this point I feel Kodaka's strengths lie in writing characters and setting up atmosphere/mysteries. But when it comes to giving satisfying conclusions and creating rich lore.... that's definitely not his alley.

I'm almost sure DR didn't mean to be a complicated plot, but became a popular IP for Spike Chunsoft, and here we are.

So I thought danganronpa 1&2 had garbage tier stories so reading the reactions is hilarious but I have one specific question

how do they justify the entire case of both games coming back? I get how the danganronpa 2 cast lived but now how detective girl or chiaki came back based upon the spoilers I've seen for the anime

Burbeting

Banned
I'm almost sure DR didn't mean to be a complicated plot, but became a popular IP for Spike Chunsoft, and here we are.

What frustrates me is that DR1/2 did more than enough by simply implying on the answers and conclusions. They then let the players imaginations fill in the blanks. Sometimes less is more.

So I thought danganronpa 1&2 had garbage tier stories so reading the reactions is hilarious but I have one specific question

how do they justify the entire case of both games coming back? I get how the danganronpa 2 cast lived but now how detective girl or chiaki came back based upon the spoilers I've seen for the anime

Chiaki didn't come back. She was just there ~in spirit~ and faded away at the end. Kirigiri just got herself deus ex machina'd back, though. Everyone else who died in DR3 and obviously everyone who died back in DR1 is still dead.

Shizuka

My reaction to everything Danganronpa 3 was and the finale:

face-w-rolling-eyes.gif

Bowlie

Banned
I really don't feel anyone from Danganronpa 1 and 2 changed (character development) during D3. They ended just like they were before it.

Chiaki didn't come back. She was just there ~in spirit~ and faded away at the end. Kirigiri just got herself deus ex machina'd back, though. Everyone else who died in DR3 and obviously everyone who died back in DR1 is still dead.

so did the whole dr1 cast come back like I read somewhere else or did they just mean the survivors of dr1?

PK Gaming

Hope

Nowhere near as bad penultimate episode, and it had some legitimately good moments (hint: literally anytime Hajime opened his mouth). I just REALLY wish it was
just the 5 survivors who were going around kicking ass rather than all of the DR2 characters, since it was perhaps a bit too optimistic (the lack of real differences with how they look post despair was disappointing too). If it was just the 5 survivors, it would have made that final skirmish have a bit more of an emotional punch to it. As for the confrontation with Mitarai, since it was predicated entirely on Mitarai's character, the final speech felt hollow since Mitarai himself is a pretty weak character. Everything wrapped itself pretty neatly, and that bit where they were beating you over the head about Kyoko's "revival" made me laugh out loud.

The final episode wasn't BAD which is probably the best thing I can say about it, lol.

gotcha, and the dr2 cast made a complete recovery from being remnants of despair/comas from their death game. So what exactly was the point of these animes?

Hamfisted, contradictory, and retconned plot from before Junko came and what happened in the world after it.

It was bad at both.

gotcha, and the dr2 cast made a complete recovery from being remnants of despair/comas from their death game. So what exactly was the point of these animes?

DR3 as a whole was pretty much pointless aside from the onslaught of fanservice at the end. Like legit, both Future and Despair ended up not mattering in the slightest. Everything got swept under the rug for a sudden happy ending for the SDR2 cast.

jonjonaug

"Hajime shows up with his fleet (with how he commandeered them never being explained), fixes everything, and leaves"
is what I wanted for the ending of this anime since episode 6 of Future side, so I'm pretty happy with what we got. Kinda wish
Kirigiri stayed dead cause she sucks
but we got
Nagito fangirling over Makoto
so it evens out I guess.

kewlmyc

So in terms of named characters, only most of the DR1 cast, people with relation to the DR1 cast, Chiaki, and the Future Foundation ended up dying in the DR series. UDG and DR3 show that being on the side of despair means you'll end up surviving with almost zero consequence. I don't mind since I like the DR2 crew, but it is kinda fucked up.

Taruranto

This finale was the advantage that they already brutally murdered the franchise at this point, so it's not like they could do worse. You may say there was no
hope
left.

lol of course Kirigiri is alive. It's a cop-out, but at least it's one that makes sense. No way Kirigiri would just roll up and die.

It was harder to feel anything toward the DR2 kids since you know, they are the victims here... Komaeda wasn't even used well.

Overall? The anime was a complete failure, the constant characters assassination, the retcons, the reliance of cheap plot device like LOL HOPE/DESPAIR videos...

Also Tengan: If you villain motives are more "complex" than Zero from ZTD and more crazy than Beatrice from Umineko you need to take the script, tear it apart, dump in in a fire and the nuke it from orbit so humanity may not experience it or know it ever existed.

I can say I could save much from this DR, Juzo ended up being a good character, but If I could erase the whole thing, I'd gladly sacrifice him.

UberTag

So in terms of named characters, only most of the DR1 cast, people with relation to the DR1 cast, Chiaki, and the Future Foundation ended up dying in the DR series. UDG and DR3 show that being on the side of despair means you'll end up surviving with almost zero consequence. I don't mind since I like the DR2 crew, but it is kinda fucked up.
The only Remnant of Despair to ever get killed = Chisa. Their poor lobotomized teacher.

FStubbs

It occurs to me that Hajime is also Ultimate Necromancer so he can talk to Chiaki anytime he wants.

The only Remnant of Despair to ever get killed = Chisa. Their poor lobotomized teacher.

Yeah, the two biggest waifus of the series both stayed dead. :(

Jigorath

Banned
What the hell was the deal with Chiaki at the end there? At first I thought Hajime was just imagining his dead waifu but she was explaining how she ended up in the New World Program to him and now I'm confused. Is AI Chiaki living inside Hajime's brain or something? Is she a ghost? Oh what does it matter. I'm happy this shit's finally over.

So, plot holes? Why did Tengan use Monokuma? Did he make the Monokuma recording? How did Monokuma hack into Mechagahara's chair and turn Usami into Monomi? Was that also pre-recorded? Did Monaca have control over Monokuma, too? She had nothing to do with the killing game so that doesn't make much sense. Was Monokuma only present because he's the series mascot so he had to be there? It is a mystery.

Hope really resolved none of DR3's lingering plot threads.

Who was the 16th participant?!

It was counting Hagakure all along.

Danganronpa 3 Hope

Oh my fucking God.
They could not even be assed to change the Remnant's designs, even though they were shown at the start of the anime. Fuyuhiko lost an eye and Nagito a hand but that's literally it.

Its actually a really good metaphor for what DR3 did to DR2 - Cleaned it up with an enormous amount of saccharine bullshit and completely removing any kind of interesting thematic elements.

DR3 never happened.

Hope

Ok, I won't lie, I did enjoy seeing the DR2 kids come in and solving everything. That was fun.
But it also shows how unnecessary literally everything else was.
None of the other characters in Future mattered in this (not like they could have since they basically killed off almost everyone new)

Kirigiri being revived was stupid. I mean, I'm not surprised Aoi survived being shot, but reviving Kirigiri just felt pointless.
Honestly, it just ruins everything cause they didn't have the guts to keep her dead.

It doesn't help it reinforces this feeling that the whole Future arc was pointless. Completely pointless.

I mean I enjoyed watching both series, but honestly this ending just leaves me feeling completely unsatisfied with it all.

Also Bandai was robbed.

What an absolute heap of garbage, by the halfway point of the episode I had my head buried in my hands and by the end I'd simply stopped caring. Almost as awful as Zero Time Dilemma, the only good part of the series was space NEET Monaca. Such a shit year for trilogy enders.....

Demoli

It's hard to believe that the only good new character we got from DR3 was Juzo

Walking Meme Munakata was hilarious man.

Yeah he had a decent arc and all that, but he always found time and space to drop an amazing line every episode.

May he spend the rest of his days in Inaba in peace

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom