• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa 3 The End of Hope's Peak Academy |OT| Nagito Komaeda's Wild Ride Part Two

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe Kodaka is a actually Junko and this was her (him) trying to make us feel despair?

You reminded me that I still wish that the "mastermind is the audience, future was mitarai's anime" theory was right, dammit.

...What happened to those storyboards found all over the place in Future? :c

To be fair, some of the art in past games wasn't great, especially clothing art quality.

It's shocking how great the character portraits are compared to some of the event pictures. Like, in DR2 Gundham looks amazing in person but awful in every other scene they draw him in.

I think Komatsuzaki only handles character art, while another artist takes care of scenes. But yeah, there's a marked difference between styles and quality. For example, the rushed Chapter 3 in DR2 gave us this:

cSb1D8Tl.jpg

You reminded me that I still wish that the "mastermind is the audience, future was mitarai's anime" theory was right, dammit.

...What happened to those storyboards found all over the place in Future? :c

Easter eggs, I suppose? If the whole Hope's Peak saga was an anime in the V3 universe it would have been an interesting idea to link in some way both series, but nowadays I'll hesitate to do that.

Finally Saw despair 12

Well mitarai solution to hope is stupid , in all bad ways .. I really , really hope that hinata-izuru is going to bring hope back to everyone on this thread.

Ps : monaca is in orbit in her van , that part was priceless.

Kigiri is most likely confirmed dead, everyone involved in that story decision can die in a fire

If the death counter is in-universe, that suggests that:

A. Someone is manually updating it based on what they imagine to be the case (ie, "wellp, that person looks pretty gosh darn dead").

B. The process is automated (ie, "the bracelet shows that their life has ceased).

B. doesn't stand to reason because if that was the case, Juzo would have been considered dead by the counter's standard (which would have been a more interesting twist if it said five, meaning that we'd all identify Juzo as having died). If A. is the case, then we could assume that the observer identified that Juzo had not died and thus did not consider him dead. This would serve to explain how Kyoko could survive - so long as the observer believed her death to be authentic, they would have no issue counting her. It could also just be that it's for our benefit, which would be slightly disappointing. I actually think that Kyoko not coming back from the dead would be bad writing, though not the worst writing. On one hand, her arc is complete - she was able to truly repay the favor for Makoto putting his life on the line for hers, and she gave them the information needed to solve the killing game's mystery. On the other hand, she was the only person whose death was working on essentially a timer, so she had the entire game to try and prepare for her death. This makes me suggest that she survived, and that she used medicine found near/on Seiko's corpse. This then ties into two plot details:

1. Seiko tried to use her medicine on Bandai, but it failed.
2. Seiko expressed sadness that her medicine failed Bandai (and Chisa?).

In 1, we can determine from there that the medicine has the potential to counteract the effects of the poison. In 2, in terms of writing, it would be a satisfying completion to Seiko's arc - she worked her whole life to save people, and in the end saved Kyoko. So my theory is that Kyoko is alive thanks to Seiko's medicine. She deduced that the medicine could counteract the poison, and she had potential access to that medicine.

And to be fair, the only reason a lot of people consider it bad writing is because it would be the second time they did a fakeout death in Future. Speaking of, in hindsight, Asahina's fakeout death really was many an alarm bell as to the direction Future arc was taking.

Quickly popping in just to ask that I am finally about to get around to these. Am I supposed to watch Episode 1 of Despair arc and then episode 1 of Mirai arc or should I be going through the entirety of one before the other?

Decarabia

Quickly popping in just to ask that I am finally about to get around to these. Am I supposed to watch Episode 1 of Despair arc and then episode 1 of Mirai arc or should I be going through the entirety of one before the other?

Mirai 1 -> Despair 1 -> Mirai 2 -> Despair 2 etc.

What I don't get what was with the monokuma at the beginning of Future.

Was it just Monaka fucking around? Tengan didn't see to even bother with the bear, except for the prerecorded video that he didn't even make.

What I don't get what was with the monokuma at the beginning of Future.

Was it just Monaka fucking around? Tengan didn't see to even bother with the bear, except for the prerecorded video that he didn't even make.

Two possibilities I have:

1. Bad writing
2. It was Miaya

I mean, seriously, it's literally the only thing that makes sense besides Monaca actually being involved. If it isn't Miaya, how did a recording hack her? Hell, how did the recording even NOTICE her? That to me suggests that Monaca stole Miayabot - which Miaya intended to put in the game and control - and played along with the recording.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Ryota actually has a split personality like Toko, and is the real real mastermind. The scene with Tengan was actually an animation created by Ryota, that the protagonists only think is real due to the subliminal messaging Ryota left in it. Ryota's second personality is actually a copy of Junko, who using her ultimate analysis abilities orchestrated the entire thing, in order to plunge Makoto into true despair, and not just brainwashed despair.

The reasons for Tengan being the mastermind are inane and dumb, much like the majority of characters. He's painted as this intelligent, wise, kind old man, then gets revealed to have killed everybody in horrible (and needlessly intricate) ways because he wanted to convince Ryota to release a video for the greater good. just wtf.

This whole anime was a disappointment.

NeonZ

I actually think the worst thing about this finale is how normal Ryota acts even while attempting to mindwipe the entire world. The episode would have been much more entertaining if he had gone completely crazy and over the top when he was pushed over the edge.

I actually think the worst thing about this finale is how normal Ryota acts even while attempting to mindwipe the entire world. The episode would have been much more entertaining if he had gone completely crazy and over the top when he was pushed over the edge.

Too much like Nagito

Makoto and Nagito are very much extreme opposites, so it's nice to have Mitarai there as someone who can kind of rationally justify something so extreme without blowing up a building

My friends ex actually took her phone when she was sleeping and used her finger to unlock the phone. Tengen you could learn from this.

Tengan was trying to bait Mikarai into making the Anime. He didn't think he already possessed one.

I'm hoping the brainwashing stuff (at least for despair arc) is all made up and is something like that's just what the remnants of despair are told for their own sanity. Or the whole "it was all an Anime" twist.

JulianImp

I'm hoping the brainwashing stuff (at least for despair arc) is all made up and is something like that's just what the remnants of despair are told for their own sanity. Or the whole "it was all an Anime" twist.

I see what you did there.

Let's be honest, the show had too little time to actually go and show Junko slowly turning the 77th class to the side of despair, so the best they could come up with that'd fit in a single cour was to come up with nanomachines brainwashing as a simple way to make the the despair side of DR3 fit into the DR1-2-Zero-UDG continuity.

I see what you did there.

Let's be honest, the show had too little time to actually go and show Junko slowly turning the 77th class to the side of despair, so the best they could come up with that'd fit in a single cour was to come up with nanomachines brainwashing as a simple way to get everything in place to fit into the DR1-2-Zero-UDG canon.

I'm not totally against the idea of brainwashing, but they need to nerf it's alleged effects somehow in this last episode. Even if it's just somehow explaining that their background issues did play some part.

GSR

welp, see y'all on the other side, I guess

last chance for over/unders on
  • Kirigiri alive
  • Chiaki alive
  • Junko, just like, in general
  • Nagito mastermind
  • Tengan's plan turns out to have not been totally nonsensical
  • Someone from 77-B other than Hajimezuru having a line
  • Double, slow-mo "sore wa chigau yo"
  • Hagakure and/or Byakuya do something useful again instead of vanishing thirty seconds into the episode now that the cliffhanger's been resolved
  • all the events thus far are wrapped up in a saitsfying, meaningful conclusion

• Kirigiri alive
  • Chiaki alive
  • Nagito mastermind
  • Hagakure and/or Byakuya do something useful again instead of vanishing thirty seconds into the episode now that the cliffhanger's been resolved

1. Kirigiri alive - For the reasons I stated above, if the writing is good, she will be alive. There's a lot of setup to suggest that this is the case, including the medicine bottle, the multiple instances of foreshadowing (Seiko using the medicine on Bandai tells us that she believed it could cure his poisoning, and Kirigiri likely believed this).
2. Chiaki alive - Nah, I think I buy that both Kirigiri and Chiaki died than that Chiaki lived.
3. Junko - Junko
4. Nagito - Nagito
5. Tengan - No, it'll be silly.
6. 77-B - I am of a mind that all of 77-B - sans Chiaki - will survive and be pulled from despair.
7. sore wa chigau yo - yes that's right
8. Byakuya and Hagakure - I think both will be present for the entirety of Hope Arc.
9. lol

Permanently A

• Kirigiri alive
  • Chiaki alive
  • Nagito mastermind

1. Kirigiri is absolutely alive unfortunately
2. Chiaki is dead as fuck and junko won't show
3. Nagito will show but not the mastermind
4. kek
5. nagito will get a line
6. u fuckin kno it
7. byakuya will get makoto to ryota so there's that
8. top kek

Serious question

Would you be okay with a Kirigiri fakeout if the Asahina fakeout never happened?

Lol reading the beginning of this thread, so full of hope.....

Life is..simply unfair

ZTD brings the best memes

Also what was the first moment that you knew that the anime was despair?

For me it was Despair 7. I still enjoyed the episodes after that, but Despair 7 after the filler-tier Future 7 left me feeling not awesome.

TWILT

Banned
Let's do this...

• Kirigiri alive I believe in the K I B O U
  • Chiaki alive Noooooooooo
  • Junko, just like, in general No, but if I'm gonna be real, I wouldn't be surprised
  • Nagito mastermind The show's not that smart
  • Tengan's plan turns out to have not been totally nonsensical I'd be impressed if that was true
  • Someone from 77-B other than Hajimezuru having a line Just from one of the other four survivors maybe
  • Double, slow-mo "sore wa chigau yo" PLEASE
  • Hagakure and/or Byakuya do something useful again instead of vanishing thirty seconds into the episode now that the cliffhanger's been resolved Probably...?
    lol

Future - As much as I wanna say when Kyoko died, I admit I enjoyed the show up until the last episode.
Despair - Prooobably around episode 7 because that was when brainwashing video was first mentioned. Episode 8 had a great Nagito moment, but s'about it for me.

First thing that came to mind. Interesting. I want them to distance themselves as far from the current cast as they possibly can so if they need to pretend that never happened then that would be wonderful. But if there is a connection then I hope it leads to something worthwhile.

• Kirigiri alive
  • Chiaki alive
  • Nagito mastermind

Any of that is possible! Sign me up for everything outside of the spoiler-tagged text.

Not sure if that's a question for all, but Despair 2 for me. Watching Despair 2 provided me with the all-too-familiar feeling of trying to power through the first couple of chapters of DR2, despite not being able to enjoy it as much as DR. It was a reminder that most of my enjoyment with DR2 relied heavily excessively on Komaeda, how far his antics went, and the re-introduction of original DR cast members. But in the end, I've watched both arcs to completion and will be watching Side: Hope tomorrow, whether that be because I've been brainwashed with hope or that, credit to Kodaka, I'm a big enough fan of the series to be interested enough to see what turns it takes, no matter where that may lead.

UberTag

• Kirigiri alive
  • Chiaki alive
  • Nagito mastermind
My votes...
- Kirigiri alive = YES
- Chiaki alive = NO
- Junko, just like, in general = SURE, WHATEVER... GHOST JUNKO THAT IS
- Nagito mastermind = SHOULD BE YES TO SEMI-SALVAGE THINGS... BUT NO
- Tengan's plan turns out to have not been totally nonsensical = SADLY NO
- Someone from 77-B other than Hajimezuru having a line = NOBODY CARES ABOUT THOSE GUYS
- Double, slow-mo "sore wa chigau yo" = RYOTA DESERVES IT
- Hagakure and/or Byakuya do something useful again instead of vanishing thirty seconds into the episode now that the cliffhanger's been resolved = PRESENT? YES | CONTRIBUTE SOMETHING USEFUL? NO
-
all the events thus far are wrapped up in a satisfying, meaningful conclusion
= SCHOOL DAYS WILL GO DOWN AS HAVING A MORE SATISFYING, MEANINGFUL CONCLUSION

For me it was Despair 7. I still enjoyed the episodes after that, but Despair 7 after the filler-tier Future 7 left me feeling not awesome.
It's funny that I stopped watching after the Future 7 delay hearing that it was UDG-focused so I could finish the game. I spent 5 weeks assuming I was missing out on greatness only to marathon everything this past weekend and realized that I should have quit while I was ahead.

• Kirigiri alive
  • Chiaki alive
  • Nagito mastermind

1. Yes
2. No
3. Maybe
4. I don't know
5. Can you repeat that question
6. One line, each
7. Totally
8. They'll be there but they won't do anything
9. This show is doomed

ffvorax

I liked the ending.

To me i like a "despair" finale somehow.

To bring a false hope it was used a final despair solution...

It fits the overall fact that is not a story with good ending.

That said, I think they can go on with the story after this ending, so I hope they will after V3 (maybe V3 is connected somehow, still hoping, they said it was finished the Hope Academy ark, not the whole universe story)

The actual ending isn't out yet tho. It airs later today, and all I want for my birthday is for it to not take *too* long to get subbed. Come through [Hope].

PsionBolt

Episode 1 for Future and whatever episode Twilight Syndrome was for Despair.

• Kirigiri alive
  • Chiaki alive
  • Nagito mastermind

No, no, unfortunately no, no, no, I'm not even sure they'll appear, doubt it, no, absolutely not.

Basically, my expectations are low because it's basically looking like Future Episode 13, no matter what label they put on it.

Eumi

• Kirigiri alive
  • Chiaki alive
  • Nagito mastermind
Yes
No
She'll be there but not alive
Kinda
Pffft
Yes
Yes
Nope

http://gematsu.com/2016/09/new-danganronpa-v3-japanese-limited-edition-detailed-screenshots

More info on that Nagito OVA:

Original Anime Super Danganronpa 2.5: Nagito Komaeda and the Destroyer of the World (Blu-ray) – Nagito Komaeda, who experienced death in the program.
What kind of world did he see? How did he wake up? An original, single episode story that continues from the Danganronpa 3: The End of Hope’s Peak Academy anime.

Looks like
the article spoils Nagito will wake up.

Out of interest, are you supposed to watch Despair 11 before Future 11? I feel like a lot of stuff in Future 11 was mentioned in Despair 11 that didn't make sense otherwise (Sakakura lying to Munakata etc.)

Future 11 aired before Despair 11, so you're supposed to watch it in airing order.

Christhor

When's the episode airing? Edit: Nvm, just saw the above post.

I think Komatsuzaki only handles character art, while another artist takes care of scenes. But yeah, there's a marked difference between styles and quality. For example, the rushed Chapter 3 in DR2 gave us this:

cSb1D8Tl.jpg

What's wrong with that image? Hiyoko should always be uncomfortable and sad, so what's bad about it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom