• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa 3 The End of Hope's Peak Academy |OT| Nagito Komaeda's Wild Ride Part Two

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, you do. You'll miss alot of context if you don't. As a matter of fact if you have any intention of playing Danganronpa 2 you really should not be in this thread because of major spoilers.

I don't care about the games. But I did watch the first anime. So I guess this one will be confusing for someone who hasn't played 2? Shame. Guess I'll hold off.

NEO0MJ

Danganronpa 3: The End of Hope's Peak High School - Future Arc 01

I'm preparing myself for how bad I think this is going to be. But I'm in it for the long haul.

Monokuma seems awfully......reserved.

Maybe because it's not Junko this time?

GoldStarz

I don't care about the games. But I did watch the first anime. So I guess this one will be confusing for someone who hasn't played 2? Shame. Guess I'll hold off.

You know that DR is mostly a game series, right?

And that the first anime is based on the games?

Just watch a let's play dude.

Hikami

Decent first episode for the future side. Can't get over Rie Kugimiya voicing that one guy, that's hilarious. Wasn't expecting yet another
killing game though..

Now to wait for the Despair side. Pretty excited for that one since I like DR2's cast more.

FStubbs

That's exactly what Junko would want you to think.

Wait until the penultimate episode reveal of "IT WAS ME, NAEGI! IT WAS ME - JUNKO MOTHERFUCKING ENOSHIMA - ALL ALONG! AGAIN!"

At this point I think Junko - in whatever plane she exists in - wants Makoto as bad as Mukuro did. Too bad for her it seems like Makoto's got Kyoko
and Hina
locked down.

Sapientas

Pretty awesome first episode and I'm hyped already. Going to hold off on the speculation for now since it would drive me crazy.

NullMoon

Neo Member
Just a heads up looks like the issue with the first episode not working properly through the Funimation app has been fixed (Xbox One). Also it's appearing in my queue now. Gonna rewatch it again on a bigger screen. Hyped!

Y'know its kind of hard to get a feel for all these characters on a time limit of 20 minutes. One is already dead ffs.

lmao at Hagakure being trapped outside though

It is kind of the nature of the beast, given the short episode count and the killing game, that half the cast will pretty much be throwaway characters.

D-Man

Just watched the episode and I'm actually surprised by how decent that was. I can't believe we Zero Escape now.

Can't wait to see the Despair side with best character Gundham.

Watched the first episode...

DAT beautifull opening.

Kigiri da best
Asahina da best

Hagure pouting outside for some reason not being allowed in the building and misses being in the killing game by luck ... #as_expected

I'm actually hyped by this episode. thursday can't come soon enough.

That flashback on the remnants of despair was fantastic .. Mikan was great. ..and that Tease for the fight was magnificent. I want a full movie of the tracking of the remnants of despair.

TWILT

Banned
Cautiously optimistic about this anime (despite Kishi's track record...) and thought the first episode was...surprisingly decent (theeeen again, I said the same thing about the DeSu 2 anime, sooo...). Hope it keeps up the quality (both this and the upcoming Despair anime).
Was pretty cool seeing the Despair versions of the DR2 cast (that Mikan...) Wasn't expecting that first victim to die first (she looked the most "waifu" out of the cast lol), though I figured they'd kill someone who looked important first.

OP and ED were decent too.

Speaking of Hina, it's odd that the only Future Foundation division head that's missing from the killing game is the 13th's, which is the division Hina works for.

Hina went the whole episode without talking about donuts. I'm impressed.

Let me correct this mistake :

2014-04-17-211319.jpg

Now everything's fine

T-Rex.

Banned
I'm so hyped to see despair Tanaka fuck shit up with his 4 dark devas of destruction. Mechamaru getting beat by him was my one of my favourite bits of DR2, and if he can beat him then I'm fully expecting despair Tanaka to be a savage.

Let me correct this mistake :

Now everything's fine
<3

Just watched the episode and I'm actually surprised by how decent that was. I can't believe we Zero Escape now.

Can't wait to see the Despair side with best character Gundham.
He already proved he was the best in like the half second we saw of him.

lmao, nah that's the fandom's job.

*side eyes people who still swear that akane and aoi have the same characterization*
They're very different but I think they're supposed to be weird reflections of each other, that's one of the reasons DR2 works so well. Everyone's like a twisted versions of the characters you just saw.

GoldStarz

aaand we have no idea what happened to her. She's not the chiaki from DR2.

Miaya looks literally nothing like Chiaki dude. Your welcome to hold onto your theories but it makes literally no sense. If she is alive and a part of the Future Foundation in a significant way, she's probably Aoi's boss/the head of the 13th Division

They're very different but I think they're supposed to be weird reflections of each other, that's one of the reasons DR2 works so well. Everyone's like a twisted versions of the characters you just saw.

Yeah definitely, but I have seen people claim that they have literally the same personality which is like.

Not... really? Akane is more likely to beat up her friends than try to emotionally support them (not a knock on either character, they're both really great lol)

Miaya looks literally nothing like Chiaki dude. Your welcome to hold onto your theories but it makes literally no sense. If she is alive and a part of the Future Foundation in a significant way, she's probably Aoi's boss/the head of the 13th Division

Yeah definitely, but I have seen people claim that they have literally the same personality which is like.

Not... really? Akane is more likely to beat up her friends than try to emotionally support them (not a knock on either character, they're both really great lol)
Oh yeah, after probably the first trial you realize they're very very different. I don't know why people would argue otherwise.

Rich!

Friggingingin chill dude, my theory is awesome

Fully expecting it to be wrong, but I'm sure I'm right about hiro

NullMoon

Neo Member
Off topic but relevant to Danganronpa. (I'll remove this post if it's against the rules) Kotobukiya is doing a re-release of the 1/8 Hajime Hinata and 1/8 Nagito Komaeda.

Hajime Hinata 6,720 Yen (65.03 USD)
http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?gcode=FIGURE-005594

Nagito Komaeda 6,980 Yen (67.55 USD)
http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?gcode=FIGURE-006927

This is a steal! The after market on the original scales are ridiculous. If you love Danganronpa and want two amazing scale figures of Hajime and Nagito you need to pre-order these! I own both and they are so worth it. I paid 200.00 for the pair on the aftermarket because I didn't think they would be re-released. Kotobukiya proved me wrong. Just a heads up, don't miss out on these amazing Danganronpa collectables!!

T-Rex.

Banned
So uh, I looked on funimation's website and it says "episode 13"

Is that episode one? I just want to make 100% sure >->
No, the website is a mess. For some reason it takes you to the page for DR1 on some clicks, if you go back and click on it again it'll eventually take you to the page for DR3.

Rich!

IMO the subbing is pretty bad

Placement is wack in some shots as is timing. Also, the translation seems confused. They keep monokuma (good) but use high school instead of academy (wtf). I also dislike how they stuck to the SHSL terms and not the easier to say, easier to read and far far cooler "ultimate"

High school level despair sounds fucking lame. Ultimate despair sounds awesome. It's a mess of translation liberties and direct translations with no real reason why

And funimation baked that shit into the video so we can't change it.

GoldStarz

I don't have preference between SHSL and Ultimate, although SHSL is much more 'DanganRonpa'-style. For subs they really should've gone for Ultimate because "Super High School Level" takes forever to read relative to most words and you're gonna have to end up pausing to make sure you read everything write.

I don't have preference between SHSL and Ultimate, although SHSL is much more 'DanganRonpa'-style. For subs they really should've gone for Ultimate because "Super High School Level" takes forever to read relative to most words and you're gonna have to end up pausing to make sure you read everything write.

My thoughts exactly.

The_Kid

Off topic but relevant to Danganronpa. (I'll remove this post if it's against the rules) Kotobukiya is doing a re-release of the 1/8 Hajime Hinata and 1/8 Nagito Komaeda.

This is a steal! The after market on the original scales are ridiculous. If you love Danganronpa and want two amazing scale figures of Hajime and Nagito you need to pre-order these! I own both and they are so worth it. I paid 200.00 for the pair on the aftermarket because I didn't think they would be re-released. Kotobukiya proved me wrong. Just a heads up, don't miss out on these amazing Danganronpa collectables!!

Mannnnnm, if only they were characters I liked more. I'd pay for a Makoto or Kyoko reprint.

Also the nenderoids seem so much better quality which is disappointing. :/

T-Rex.

Banned
Never knew SHSL was the proper term. Ultimate is definitely more menacing.

Junko: the super high school level despair. Ehhhh, whatever m8.
Junko: the ultimate despair. Shit lads, run.

NullMoon

Neo Member
Mannnnnm, if only they were characters I liked more. I'd pay for a Makoto or Kyoko reprint.
Algernon Product Makoto can still be gotten relatively cheap, but Phat Company, or Flare Kyoko really are fucking expensive. They need re-releases, hopefully with the Resurgent of Danganronpa they will get a re-release but then again it seems unlikely given the manufacturers of the two Kyoko statues. As for the nendoroids in my opinion the only two that translated well was Monokuma and Monomi, Makoto just looks weird. My brother owns every Scale from Danganronpa including Nenderoids and the Nenderoids don't even come close to the various statues made from Danganronpa, especially Kotobukiya's work.

Breads

Banned

It's the Orenronen term... which I will fight to the death over.

Saw it. It's more of the same. And by that I mean great. I'm much more interested in the Despair version though.

Daisaku Bandai though. This voice slays me.

The term doesn't translate very well to English, especially when you consider it is abbreviated into 3 syllables in Japanese. I didn't mind it one way or the other, but as the others mentioned, I wished they went with localised terms, to keep the subtitles concise.

Just saw it and have higher hopes than I did for the original anime series. Hopefully they pace it out and don't do a murder per week mystery. Still interested in the other series more because I have doubts that long running series will be able to stick its landing.

Nightbird

so true.

to me, SHSL means they ain't shit anymore as soon as the leave high school.

Breads

Banned
I suppose that happens if you came into it with the official translation.

Having followed it since the original Orenronen translation in SA I always associated SHSL with a world class prodigy who will become elite in their field.

1) The original voice actress retired because she was suffering from dementia and continued working well into her illness, friggin' chill dude.
2) The new VA is fine, interviews make it sound like they put a lot of thought into how they were going to take over the role and there's even a point where they sounded pretty identical. Give it more than five minutes.

Fair enough, I wasn't aware of the situation with the original VA. That said I still don't think Monokuma's new VA fits, the upupupu and voice in general doesn't convey the insanity of the old Monokuma, it lacked impact. Maybe it will get a bit better, but Upupupu is iconic like Bryan Fury's laugh, you just can't afford to mess it up.

tansuikabutsu

Neo Member
The term doesn't translate very well to English, especially when you consider it is abbreviated into 3 syllables in Japanese. I didn't mind it one way or the other, but as the others mentioned, I wished they went with localised terms, to keep the subtitles concise.

(full disclosure: I use a different username here, but I coined SHSL oh so many years ago now)

First, it's not 3 syllables in Japanese -- it's technically 8 moras (cho-u-ko-u-ko-u-kyu-u), which is what Japanese uses in lieu of syllables, but I'll give you 4 if you can't hear the difference. "Ultimate" is 3 syllables and "Super High School Level" is 6, so we're all over the place. To my ears, "Super High School Level" fits exactly the same speech pattern as a correct pronunciation of "Choukoukoukyuu", while "Ultimate" sounds way too short.

But that's not even that important. Here's why I defend my translation (or at least a translation in its spirit, I'm not particularly tied to SHSL) over Ultimate. It's basically the same argument for why I'll defend Monobear over Monokuma forever:

Translations, at their best, have to struggle the long spectrum between lexical-accuracy and free-form rewrites in order to achieve the ultimate goal, which is to have the source and target texts have roughly the same feel (while keeping the meaning intact, of course). Those who argue that "Super High School Level" sounds awkward in English are missing an important point - "Choukoukoukyuu" is super-awkward in Japanese too. "Choukoukoukyuu Zetsubou" isn't supposed to be menacing - it's supposed to sound ridiculous.

My guess is that the term was chosen carefully. Dangan Ronpa is, among other things, a comedy and a satire. Choukoukoukyuu is exactly a satirical take on the pompous title a fancy private academy might give its students. The series does the same thing with the name of the Incident - unnecessary long and pompous, and repeated ad nauseam in the dialogue for comedic effect. Add to that the implications of the title - the students are still High School Level (that is, they're *not* the best in the entire world at what they're doing, just among their age group) - but they're *Super* that level! Then, of course, the series likes to play with that - we have the Choushogakkoukyuu (Super Elementary School Level) kids in AE, whose skills are only fit for elementary school, and in this new series everyone is titled Former-SHSL, almost as if to say high school was the highlight of their entire lives (Japan, anyone?) Not to mention that being the best student council president isn't exactly a useful skill post high school.

So, yeah - "Ultimate" is bland, inaccurate, sounds cool instead of ridiculous, and removes the satire from the text. I like a lot of things about NISA's translation, but that's not on one of them.

Luigi87

Oh man, I've wanted that Hajime.
The packaging they come in is awesome too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom