• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa 3 The End of Hope's Peak Academy |OT| Nagito Komaeda's Wild Ride Part Two

Status
Not open for further replies.
And here I thought this would be a Dangan Ronpa spoiler. You know. Considering the thread.

Thanks for spoiling a series I didn't even play yet. If this fact is up front in the series then never mind and I apologize.

It isn't that big of a deal. If you've played similar games you'll figure it out right quick.

h0tp0ck3t

I kinda wish they had done a "bad ending" sort of thing like they did in the first game where Kyoko gets executed instead of Makoto.

Like what would have happened if Nagito's plan succeeded and Chiaki was the only one left? There's not enough people to perform the Force Shutdown. There's no reason for her to graduate since she has no body to return too, so Junko loses out there too. I guess she would just reboot the simulation or sit there in limbo?

GoldStarz

I kinda wish they had done a "bad ending" sort of thing like they did in the first game where Kyoko gets executed instead of Makoto.

Like what would have happened if Nagito's plan succeeded and Chiaki was the only one left? There's not enough people to perform the Force Shutdown. There's no reason for her to graduate since she has no body to return too, so Junko loses out there too. I guess she would just reboot the simulation or sit there in limbo?

The problem with that is that DR1's Bad End was because that trial was never actually real and there never was a culprit (well there was but not one who was available at the time lmao), for DR2's fifth trial, there is an actual culprit, even if they hadn't meant to kill anyone.

SephLuis

I liked the first episode, but do we know how many episodes each arc is going to be ?

I think if they do it 13, it will be way too fast for it's own good.

GoldStarz

I liked the first episode, but do we know how many episodes each arc is going to be ?

I think if they do it 13, it will be way too fast for it's own good.

It's looking like 12 each, but I mean it was a story written to be 12 episodes while the first anime was a story condensed to 13.

Permanently A

The last one doesn't really apply since Chiaki didn't need or want to be 'saved', Komaeda was acting totally on his own to force his values upon the situation again.

I think that kind of parallels how Celeste made up the situation. She didn't need to be saved either.

GoldStarz

I think that kind of parallels how Celeste made up the situation. She didn't need to be saved either.

Celes literally set up the scenario so that Hifumi thought that she did though and was planning to escape from the start of her plan, Komaeda didn't know who the traitor was or what they wanted, he was just trying to kill everyone who wasn't the traitor.

TP

OP says open Danganronpa spoilers but there are spoiler tags everywhere and people are getting other series spoiled for them

what

One thing that interests me about
killing off Chisa first
is what it sort of means structurally.
She seems to have been Kyousuke's morality chain, as well as just being a buffer between him and Makoto. That she would die or be removed from the equation somehow I figure would be obvious, but I had thought it'd been something that would happen in the series second act, so we'd get time to understand more where Kyousuke is coming from and perhaps sympathize a little with him, while still ratcheting up tension before all hell breaks loose. Now, he's gonna have the knives out for Makoto from the start. That makes me think, honestly, that either Chisa's role isn't over yet, or that Kyousuke's role is more complicated than being a simple foil for Makoto.

Burbeting

Banned
The first episode was surprisingly slow-paced, especially for a 12-episode story (well I guess we don't know just how much the despair anime ties with it). It'll be interesting to see just how this all will be paced.

GoldStarz

One thing that interests me about
killing off Chisa first
is what it sort of means structurally.
She seems to have been Kyousuke's morality chain, as well as just being a buffer between him and Makoto. That she would die or be removed from the equation somehow I figure would be obvious, but I had thought it'd been something that would happen in the series second act, so we'd get time to understand more where Kyousuke is coming from and perhaps sympathize a little with him, while still ratcheting up tension before all hell breaks loose. Now, he's gonna have the knives out for Makoto from the start. That makes me think, honestly, that either Chisa's role isn't over yet, or that Kyousuke's role is more complicated than being a simple foil for Makoto.

I had a list of people of who I thought would be killed off first

• Any survivor of DR1 because of the Sayaka Rule (seemingly important person is killed off first) and because it immediately tells the viewer that no one is off-limits my order from most to least likely here was: Yasuhiro, Kyoko, Makoto, and Aoi (if you're asking why Aoi is last it's because she literally hasn't done anything since DR1 and Kodaka may kill off characters but I don't think he'd be outright waseful).
  • Munakata's Allies (Chisa and Jyuzo) because either one of these guys dying would probably unhinge Munakata pretty badly at make the conflict worse since he pretty clearly already dislikes Makoto so you already have a conflict escalation from the get-go. I actually thought Jyuzo would be more likely than Chisa because Jyuzo is currently featured in DanganRonpa Gaiden right now so we wouldn't really lose any character even if he died first (and obivously I didn't realize that Chisa would be featured in Despair Arc at the time).
  • Ryota, pretty much for the same reason I thought Jyuzo was more likely to die than Chisa, his character would still be represented in some form through Despiar Arc (ironically the actual victim got the same treatment). Actually, I'm not sure if any of you are aware of this but there's actually speculation that the Impostor is a misdirect and that the Ryota in DR3D... Is actually the real Ryota.
  • Tengan because he ultimately has the final say in whatever Makoto's fate is and is officially the leader of the Future Foundation (even if Munakata is running the show). Take him out and you're already seeding chaos because you've got a tie in the preceeding conflict and a dead leader. That's not even talking about prior to Chisa's teacher reveal he could have been assumed the most inside of HPA's info.

The reason I didn't think one of his close friends would be killed off is because there seemed to be a 'good angel'; 'evil devil' on his shoulders thing going on. I figured there'd be an uneasy balance for at least a couple episodes, but now that's up in the air.

Also, who is Ryota, and what's this talk
of him being an Impostor? The Ultimate Impostor is comatose on Jabberwock Island still, right?

PK Gaming

I had a list of people of who I thought would be killed off first

• Any survivor of DR1 because of the Sayaka Rule (seemingly important person is killed off first) and because it immediately tells the viewer that no one is off-limits my order from most to least likely here was: Yasuhiro, Kyoko, Makoto, and Aoi (if you're asking why Aoi is last it's because she literally hasn't done anything since DR1 and Kodaka may kill off characters but I don't think he'd be outright waseful).
  • Munakata's Allies (Chisa and Jyuzo) because either one of these guys dying would probably unhinge Munakata pretty badly at make the conflict worse since he pretty clearly already dislikes Makoto so you already have a conflict escalation from the get-go. I actually thought Jyuzo would be more likely than Chisa because Jyuzo is currently featured in DanganRonpa Gaiden right now so we wouldn't really lose any character even if he died first (and obivously I didn't realize that Chisa would be featured in Despair Arc at the time).
  • Ryota, pretty much for the same reason I thought Jyuzo was more likely to die than Chisa, his character would still be represented in some form through Despiar Arc (ironically the actual victim got the same treatment). Actually, I'm not sure if any of you are aware of this but there's actually speculation that the Impostor is a misdirect and that the Ryota in DR3D... Is actually the real Ryota.
  • Tengan because he ultimately has the final say in whatever Makoto's fate is and is officially the leader of the Future Foundation (even if Munakata is running the show). Take him out and you're already seeding chaos because you've got a tie in the preceeding conflict and a dead leader. That's not even talking about prior to Chisa's teacher reveal he could have been assumed the most inside of HPA's info.

I think you misinterpreted the "Sayaka rule". It has nothing to do with how relevant a character is, but rather, it pertains to the cute, spirited and desirable female sidekick who shows immediate attraction to a prominent male character (Makoto/Yu Narukami). Chisa fits. But I wouldn't ascribe to such a rule anyway; it was a really specific scenario that hasn't been repeated in a DanganRonpa game.

Also man, there was no goddamn they'd kill Yasuhiro first, and it's extremely doubtful that he'll die. If anything, Aoi dying first is way more plausible and I think she has a pretty good shot of dying in the end. Makoto and Kyoko are basically off limits.

Also, who is Ryota, and what's this talk
of him being an Impostor? The Ultimate Impostor is comatose on Jabberwock Island still, right?

In the Despair arc the Ultimate Imposter is imitating Ryota, not Byakuya (yet). In the Future Side, Ryota is the Ultimate/SHSL Animator and leader of the 10th branch. He had blonde hair and what looks like bags under his eyes.

GoldStarz

I think you misinterpreted the "Sayaka rule". It has nothing to do with how relevant a character is, but rather, it pertains to the cute, spirited and desirable female sidekick who shows immediate attraction to a prominent male character (Makoto/Yu Narukami). Chisa fits. But I wouldn't ascribe to such a rule anyway; it was a really specific scenario that hasn't been repeated in a DanganRonpa game.

Also man, there was no goddamn they'd kill Yasuhiro first, and it's extremely doubtful that he'll die. If anything, Aoi dying first is way more plausible and I think she has a pretty good shot of dying in the end. Makoto and Kyoko are basically off limits.

Nope, sorry, you're wrong here. But I'm pretty sure we're talking about different things. The Sayaka Rule I'm talking about has everything to do with perceived relevance.

DR1: Sayaka is introduced as Makoto's main love interest and very heavily featured in promotional materials for DanganRonpa. When a demo of the game is released, they go as far as to completely write out Sayaka's death (Hiro is the first victim instead), having her act as his assistant. When the actual game comes out, she is the first victim.

DR2: The Ultimate Imposter/Twogami is again shown prominently in early promotional material. He's instantly the odd man out being the only 'returning' character from DR1 in the game. The game instantly gives him importance and gives him the role as leader of the group and he begins to introduce his own mysterious plot line into the game, only to be cut off when he is stabbed to death and becomes the first victim.

DRAE: We're going double duty here: Yuta was introduced as a prominent character in promotional materials (although really all of the in-game Kill List Targets were) but we only know him for about five minutes before he accidentally violates the rules and gets executed. On the villain side, Masaru was introduced in promotional materials as the leader of the Warriors of Hope but he's the first of them to be penalized and thrown out of the game.

Of course, the person who was actually the first victim
Chisa
Yukizome
still fits the pattern overall.

Also, I don't know why you think Yasuhiro couldn't have died first, he's a character who recently got development in a light novel side story, he's an acceptable target because very few people exceptionally like him (in fact I have seen some people outright hoping that he dies), and he's still a DR1 survivor so killing him off still send the message of "Even a DR1 survivor can die, no one is off-limits" which it clearly didn't set for you since you outright say that you think Makoto and Kyoko are off-limits.

Pretty much the reason I thought they might kill off one of the DR1 characters first was so they could develop and give more time to introduce the other members of the Future Foundation.

But Chisa will probably have some time to shine on the Despair side, so I imagine she'll still get her fair share of screen time regardless.

Permanently A

I really did think that fake spoiler of Aoi getting killed was legit, because I didn't think they would have enough time to make a new character dying feel impactful. But I think they did a good enough job with it.

PK Gaming

Nope, sorry, you're wrong here. But I'm pretty sure we're talking about different things. The Sayaka Rule I'm talking about has everything to do with perceived relevance.

DR1: Sayaka is introduced as Makoto's main love interest and very heavily featured in promotional materials for DanganRonpa. When a demo of the game is released, they go as far as to completely write out Sayaka's death (Hiro is the first victim instead), having her act as his assistant. When the actual game comes out, she is the first victim.

DR2: The Ultimate Imposter/Twogami is again shown prominently in early promotional material. He's instantly the odd man out being the only 'returning' character from DR1 in the game. The game instantly gives him importance and gives him the role as leader of the group and he begins to introduce his own mysterious plot line into the game, only to be cut off when he is stabbed to death and becomes the first victim.

DRAE: We're going double duty here: Yuta was introduced as a prominent character in promotional materials (although really all of the in-game Kill List Targets were) but we only know him for about five minutes before he accidentally violates the rules and gets executed. On the villain side, Masaru was introduced in promotional materials as the leader of the Warriors of Hope but he's the first of them to be penalized and thrown out of the game.

Of course, the person who was actually the first victim
Chisa
Yukizome
still fits the pattern overall.

Also, I don't know why you think Yasuhiro couldn't have died first, he's a character who recently got development in a light novel side story, he's an acceptable target because very few people exceptionally like him (in fact I have seen some people outright hoping that he dies), and he's still a DR1 survivor so killing him off still send the message of "Even a DR1 survivor can die, no one is off-limits" which it clearly didn't set for you since you outright say that you think Makoto and Kyoko are off-limits.

We're clearly talking about different things, yeah. I felt Sayaka and
Chisa
are intentional parallels, but I digress.

Re: Yasuhiro

He is first and foremost a joke character. The fact that he got development in a light novel nobody read doesn't mean anything. In fact, i'm shocked that you think he's an acceptable target because people hate him? DanganRonpa has never been so straightforward; they're not going to go for the most basic, obvious kill on a character that's generally disliked. Maybe he'll have some awesome heroic/sacrificial death, but there is pretty much no way he was going to be offed unceremoniously. Better to hit fans were it hurts by killing a character people are fond of (like Hina) than a joke character.

Also Makoto and Kyoko are definitely off limits, lol. I can't really convey it into words beyond the fact that it's Makoto's story / Kyoko is incredibly beloved, but I can't see a scenario where either of them die.

GoldStarz

We're clearly talking about different things, yeah. I felt Sayaka and
____Chisa____
are intentional parallels, but I digress.

Re: Yasuhiro

He is first and foremost a joke character. The fact that he got development in a light novel nobody read doesn't mean anything. In fact, i'm shocked that you think he's an acceptable target because people hate him? DanganRonpa has never been so straightforward; they're not going to go for the most basic, obvious kill on a character that's generally disliked. Maybe he'll have some awesome heroic/sacrificial death, but there is pretty much no way he was going to be offed unceremoniously. Better to hit fans were it hurts by killing a character people are fond of (like Hina) than a joke character.

Also Makoto and Kyoko are definitely off limits, lol. I can't really convey it into words beyond the fact that it's Makoto's story / Kyoko is incredibly beloved, but I can't see a scenario where either of them die.

Also I agree that DR wouldn't kill someone off for being disliked, that's not what I was trying to argue at all, perhaps the term 'acceptable loss' is a better fit for what I meant. Although, I disagree with you on several things: regardless of whether or not you read the light novel, it still exists and he still got character development out of it plus taking that into account, you know who the only character who hasn't had a prominent role since DR1 is? It's Aoi. There's no way they're going to kill her off with that in mind especially because as you said, she's very well liked and throwing her under the bus is obviously going to upset fans in the wrong way. So with all this in mind: you have a character who can prove something to viewers with his death, but won't immediately ostracize them since he's already had a post-game character arc leading up to his death. He's easily the 'best' target of the four for an opening kill.

Also, you say killing off Hiro because he's disliked is too basic but you box him as purely a joke character, which I really don't get. That sounds self-contradictory to me, at least and ignores how DanganRonpa doesn't really care if you're funny or not, you can still die.

Finally, your argument for why Makoto and Kyoko are off limits just sounds like you don't want them to die (not a knock on you btw), because the opening is at the very least leading the viewers on to think that one of them is gonna die.

GoldStarz

Woah what the fuck? Apparently the DR3 dub is coming next month (more specifically Aug 10 for Future, Aug 11 for Despair). Maybe I don't follow anime closely enough but that is way, way sooner than I expected.

Chances that they get the game voices back? Probably slim right? I know they went with all new voices for almost everyone in the dub for the first anime (and it turned out... badly) but maybe things will change this time. Or not. :(

If they're doing a broadcast dub? Yeah literally zero chance. They'd have to fly people in to get the old cast members. I really don't get why they're doing this. Their dub was pretty much panned across the board and people who only watched DR1, especially only Funi's DR1 anime dub, are going to be lost as hell.

It seems people on Twitter are telling Funi they hope for the original VAs to return for the dub. I suggest anyone invested to do the same.

Drago

If they're doing a broadcast dub? Yeah literally zero chance. They'd have to fly people in to get the old cast members. I really don't get why they're doing this. Their dub was pretty much panned across the board and people who only watched DR1, especially only Funi's DR1 anime dub, are going to be lost as hell.

It seems people on Twitter are telling Funi they hope for the original VAs to return for the dub. I suggest anyone invested to do the same.
Man that sucks. The DR1 and especially 2 dubs were so good, I can't help but feel that Funi's dub will just be a lot worse. Especially if the dub for the first anime was any indication.

Are there any DR2 VAs that are close to Funi that could reasonably return for the dub? Just a few voices would be nice. I'm guessing Papenbrook would return as Makoto and Nagito if he came back for the first anime.

GoldStarz

Man that sucks. The DR1 and especially 2 dubs were so good, I can't help but feel that Funi's dub will just be a lot worse. Especially if the dub for the first anime was any indication.

Are there any DR2 VAs that are close to Funi that could reasonably return for the dub? Just a few voices would be nice. I'm guessing Papenbrook would return as Makoto and Nagito if he came back for the first anime.

Most of them are actually, the problem is in the fact that it is a broadcast dub and several of those actors no longer live in Texas and would have to be flown out. If it was a one or two ep gig it might not be that hard, but this is a full 12-episode series.

Crossposting this old post from the DR Community Thread

Anyway, I put together a list of the VAs from SDR2's dub who have recently (last 2-3 years) worked on Funi dubs

Hajime Hinata (Johnny Young Bosch)
Nagito Komaeda (Bryce Papenbrook)
Akane Owari (Wendee Lee)
Nekomaru Nidai (Patrick Seitz)
Sonia Nevermind (Natlie Hoover)
Kazuichi Souda (Kyle Hebert)
Stephanie Sheh (Stephanie Sheh)
Teruteru Hanamura (Todd Haberkorn)
Chiaki Nanami (Christine Marie Cabanos)
Mahiru Koizumi (Carrie Keranen)
Hiyoko Saionji (Kira Buckland)

And those who have not

Gundam Tanaka (Chris Tergliafera)
Fuyuhiko Kuzuryu (Derek Stephen Prince)
Peko Pekoyama (Janice Kawaye)
Ibuki Mioda (Julie Ann Taylor)
Monokuma (Brian Beacock)
Monomi (Rebecca Forstadt)

That said in 2015 Funi released a dub of the Hyper Dimension Neptunia adaption which was released by NISA and kept the majority of the cast, so it's possible they will in fact use the NISA actors rather than recast. Hopefully they'll even use the DR1 cast as well.

Funimation has entirely outsourced dubs in the past; Roberta's Blood Trail was handled by Ocean's, which dubbed the original NA release of Black Lagoon for Geneon. I think the issue though is Funimation doesn't seem to think NISA's release is 'iconic' enough to take into consideration, them ignoring some of their localization choices, for example. So I dunno, I hope NISA (specifically, Bang Zoom!) handles the dub, but I'm not holding my breath.

kewlmyc

Funimation has entirely outsourced dubs in the past; Roberta's Blood Trail was handled by Ocean's, which dubbed the original NA release of Black Lagoon for Geneon. I think the issue though is Funimation doesn't seem to think NISA's release is 'iconic' enough to take into consideration, them ignoring some of their localization choices, for example. So I dunno, I hope NISA (specifically, Bang Zoom!) handles the dub, but I'm not holding my breath.

The difference here is that this is a simudub, so they're going to be trying to get this out as fast as possible and dubbing will take place in small chunks rather than in 1 big session due to the series only being like 4 episodes in when dubbing starts. This makes it less likely that Funi will outsource anything. They're going to get whoever is close by to dub this. I doubt DR3 and even Tales of Zestiria's simudubs will have their game's VAs. Zestiria has a better chance since Bamconis a way bigger company than NiSA though.

GoldStarz

Guess I'm sticking with the subs then. Papenbrook Nagito or bust

Actually, that probably won't change. Makoto was voiced by Papenbrook even in the Funi dub, although I think that was pure coincidence. Everyone else (from the Despair Arc anyway) is probably getting recast though

The fact that they reused all of their own terminology and called episode 1 of DR3 episode 13 should tell you all you need to know about the chances of game VAs coming back for the DR1 cast.

There is a slight chance for DR2, but I'd say more than likely they get new people. Aside from Nagito and Makoto.

GoldStarz

The fact that they reused all of their own terminology and called episode 1 of DR3 episode 13 should tell you all you need to know about the chances of game VAs coming back for the DR1 cast.

There is a slight chance for DR2, but I'd say more than likely they get new people. Aside from Nagito and Makoto.

Episode 13 doesn't mean anything though, the DR1 anime had 13 episodes, continuing from it would be Episode 14. Still, this is a pretty shit thing of Funi to do since this was supposed to be a nice cap-off and since I haven't seen anyone actually outright say "I like Funi's dub of DanganRonpa better".

Episode 13 doesn't mean anything though, the DR1 anime had 13 episodes, continuing from it would be Episode 14. Still, this is a pretty shit thing of Funi to do since this was supposed to be a nice cap-off and since I haven't seen anyone actually outright say "I like Funi's dub of DanganRonpa better".

It being one number off doesn't really dissuade me from thinking that they view the future side as a continuation from their anime. Frankly it feels more like a typo on their part. The number 13 doesn't feel like an accident or a coincidence.

GoldStarz

Episode 1 is light-hearted and fun, the point is that the two animes start at opposite points. DR3D is light and funny DR3F is dark and serious. Presumably the two will close in on each other in terms of tone by the series' end.

kewlmyc

I just realized that Hagakure is probably going to be blamed for everything that happened indoors in Ep 1, considering he's not there once everyone wakes up.

GoldStarz

Despair Arc Ep 1 Reactions and Thougts
What even the fuck is Chisa?

The narrative also seems to acknowledge Chiaki's presence as special, is this just because we previously thought she was only an AI or is she actually special in the narrative. The fact that she's in her original outfit and has a Hope Shard in the OP and ED is especially eye-catching to me.

Also, I'm more convinced that Ryota isn't being impersonated since otherwise that would mean that Impy broke into his house and was animating in his place, which doesn't make much sense

Permanently A

I just realized that Hagakure is probably going to be blamed for everything that happened indoors in Ep 1, considering he's not there once everyone wakes up.

All the new characters will blame him, while all the DR1 characters will laugh at the thought of Hiro actually doing something.

Rich!

ten minutes into the despair arc premiere so far

lolololololololol what the fucking fuck is happening

this is insanity

edit: oh shiiiiit the post credits scene! IZURU TIME!!!!!!

Drago

Episode was almost too goofy but I liked it nonetheless.

It's gonna be harder than I thought it would be to see their downfalls :(

Also
that Izuru tease at the end! btw love that Hajime apparently went to Kodaka High School. lol

Despair arc already looks more promising than Future arc so far. (Expecting both shows to eventually meet in the middle)

I wonder if people could watch the Despair arc without any previous DR knowledge.

Edit:
Oh shit, the imposter is in the Future killing game isn't he?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom