• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa 3 The End of Hope's Peak Academy |OT| Nagito Komaeda's Wild Ride Part Two

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seeing Chiaki again hurt, I both wanted her in this and feared at the same time that it'd just mean
watching her die again
. And they had to make her even cuter in this to stick the knife in further. Nice OP and ED, and Chisa seemed pretty great as a teacher.

Rich!

One thing that makes little sense to me so far...

How on earth does monomi fit into the future arc?! How? Why?!

There's the fact that we've seen no evidence of Monokuma being an actual real object so far, so maybe they will both be confined to the screens as a computer simulation? That's the only way I can see Monomi coming back.

h0tp0ck3t

There's the fact that we've seen no evidence of Monokuma being an actual real object so far, so maybe they will both be confined to the screens as a computer simulation? That's the only way I can see Monomi coming back.

Corrupted AI Chiaki Mastermind Confirmed
lol

GoldStarz

I think Monomi will be completely independent from whatever party is controlling Monokuma, since whoever they are, they don't seem to know about the Third Killing Game where Monomi first appeared. Perhaps she's related to Miaya in some way since Miaya helped build the NWP with Chihiro and Yasuke.

We are probably going to see her in the next episode. Considering that Monokuma has only shown himself in a screen (at least until now) it wouldn't be weird for them to be AIs, as what reason would the Future Foundation could have to make a Monomi robot? It is after all the corruption of Usami by the Junko AI.

And considering the theory that Usami was originally based on
Chisa and her relationship with the 77th class
, the especulation is going to be rampant.

FluxWaveZ

Normally would be immediately turned off by "wacky hijinx high school slice-of-life," but it's obviously emphasized on purpose here to create juxtaposition as it progresses. Intriguing for the potential of the build up, while the Future part was immediately intriguing to me.

Thinking about how it'll all break apart... it fills me with hope. I guess they wrote it so that Nagito's interest might have partly come from the Ultimate Housemaid.

Also, seeing how Junko does her thing will be cool. A huge part of the reason Danganronpa 0 was so compelling.

MSMrRound

The way they are breaking it up seems like it would be recommended to watch the episodes as they come out e.g Future->Despair, since Chisa touched on what happened in Future ep 1.

I'm still very much intrigued by Kodaka's decision to go Future arc and Despair arc AND air them at the same time. Really wonder how much they are going to interlink with one another, with Chisa/copying the Ultimate Animator and more.

Of course, there's that mysterious Future Foundation member with ????? listed as their voice actress...hmmmmmmm....

Oh by the way, just a personal habit of mine, but anyone know of any Youtubers or what's not with legit good reaction videos to these couple first episodes of Danganronpa?

E.g I think one of the only few that I could find was only [SHSL Blaze | The "Ultimate" Commentator]'s...=/

Good episode. Actually a bit better than I was expecting, tbh. Nice set-up for the impending despair. Chisa is actually a great teacher for them so far. I look forward to seeing what part she plays in their fall into despair.

I am also interested in seeing all the Imposter/Ryouta stuff unfold... Fun times ahead.

Do you think we are going to have an episode based on the incident with hajime or is it just going to be a reaction series with no real time spent on the first murder game. Both series appear to be considerably better then the first series.

Permanently A

Good episode. Actually a bit better than I was expecting, tbh. Nice set-up for the impending despair. Chisa is actually a great teacher for them so far. I look forward to seeing what part she plays in their fall into despair.

I am also interested in seeing all the Imposter/Ryouta stuff unfold... Fun times ahead.

I'm expecting some crazy bullshit like the skinny Ryouta to be the impostor too.

Busaiku

Funimation's gonna be doing a broadcast dub for both shows.
Besides Makoto/Nagito, expect everyone else to be Texas VA though.

I'm expecting some crazy bullshit like the skinny Ryouta to be the impostor too.

But then we wouldn't have had Byakuya in the DR2 simulator, no? I doubt Ryota could impersonate as well as the actual Ultimate Imposter.

There's definitely something up though, some connection. Why else would UI be copying a guy who is in the Future Foundation in the Future side? And he was in that class but seemingly didn't fall into despair. Maybe because UI shoved him in a closet somewhere during the whole thing.

I saw someone on reddit float the idea that the guy who we saw in the episode is actually Ryota... I guess that's possible, and he starved himself like we heard about in DR2. My only thing with that theory is that his introduction and the opening theme seem to tease at the fact that the Ryota we saw is the Imposter. Could be misdirects, but didn't seem like it.

T-Rex.

Banned
Enjoyed that. I can't wait to see Junko's interactions with the class, especially Tanaka. She's legit my favourite character in the entire series so I'm actually more interested in this despair arc than the future one.

Yeah, the start with
Chisa commenting on her own death from Future, then turning out to be DR2 Class's homeroom teacher, was quite a start. I'm really leaning towards her being the basis for Usami as well.
I don't mind episode being nothing but silly hijinks because frankly that's a good third of what Danganronpa is anyways.

Grexeno

Danganronpa 3: The End of Hope's Peak High School - Despair Arc 01

nbL6Zf7.png
R1N09t3.png

I'm WAYYYYY more into this side of the show.

ANN's review of Future Arc's first episode said it had 'barrel-bottom' production quality, but I think it's perfectly acceptable. It's hella better than the original anime adaptation, at the very least.

But then we wouldn't have had Byakuya in the DR2 simulator, no? I doubt Ryota could impersonate as well as the actual Ultimate Imposter.

There's definitely something up though, some connection. Why else would UI be copying a guy who is in the Future Foundation in the Future side? And he was in that class but seemingly didn't fall into despair. Maybe because UI shoved him in a closet somewhere during the whole thing.

I saw someone on reddit float the idea that the guy who we saw in the episode is actually Ryota... I guess that's possible, and he starved himself like we heard about in DR2. My only thing with that theory is that his introduction and the opening theme seem to tease at the fact that the Ryota we saw is the Imposter. Could be misdirects, but didn't seem like it.

Dude, he's the Ultimate Impostor, he impersonates people, in DR2 it's said that he impersonated so many people that there's a possibility he doesn't remember who he was

The Ultimate Animator is somebody who's already known by the time this Arc begins, so the Ultimate Impostor he decided to impersonate the Ultimate Animator

Also the FF doesn't exist in the Despair Arc timeline, the fact that he's impersonating as somebody who is going to be in the FF is purely coincidence, same as when he impersonated as Byakuya, he didn't know they were going to be members of the Future Foundation, he just knows how to impersonate them

People are looking too much into this, when this is as straightforward as it can be, same goes with the blood being treated like a clue when it's stylistic choices

Despair Side was excellent. (The OP and ED are soooo good.)

I was a bit wary of the developers wanting to wrap up the main story arc through an anime, but after both debut episodes, I'm totally on board now. Chisa is a really great character too, I think telling the story from the homeroom teacher's perspective is a neat choice.

Also the FF doesn't exist in the Despair Arc timeline, the fact that he's impersonating as somebody who is going to be in the FF is purely coincidence, same as when he impersonated as Byakuya, he didn't know they were going to be members of the Future Foundation, he just knows how to impersonate them

My understanding, from reading the bit of Danganronpa Togami's that's been translated, is that
The Ultimate Impostor took the form of Byakuya for the purposes of the plot of that story. My guess is when he woke up in his Byakuya guise in SDR2, he just adopted that persona out of necessity.

Also isn't a Gaffer NISA!Togami's VA? I wonder if he's posted in this thread.

Dude, he's the Ultimate Impostor, he impersonates people, in DR2 it's said that he impersonated so many people that there's a possibility he doesn't remember who he was

The Ultimate Animator is somebody who's already known by the time this Arc begins, so the Ultimate Impostor he decided to impersonate the Ultimate Animator

People are looking too much into this, when this is as straightforward as it can be, same goes with the blood being treated like a clue when it's stylistic choices

I mean, I said that I thought he was the Ultimate Imposter and didn't really agree with that speculation. I was just bringing up a discussion point that I had read.

Also, I'm aware that they're taking place at 2 different times and that the FF doesn't exist yet during the Despair storyline. But storywise do you really think it's a pure coincidence that the story has the Ultimate Imposter impersonating someone from the future side? Yeah, it wasn't FF related, but that doesn't mean it won't end up being a significant plot point. We've been told that the 2 stories are closely tied, seems like we're going to get some relevant Ryota development in the Despair side at the very least.

Also, AFAIK, we don't know why he chose Byakuya. It very well could be because he was trying to infiltrate the FF (although the Togami LNs could have some more relevant info regarding that).

Anyway, I don't really see the harm in speculating.

Luigi87

You know, thinking about it...
What if Chiaki's death is actually the catalyst that is used into manipulating the class into Despairs?

Assuming she dies of course.
... she's still best girl either way...

FluxWaveZ

What if Chiaki's death is actually the catalyst that is used into manipulating the class into Despairs?

I think that's what everyone's been thinking.

Luigi87

I was gonna say "But I thought people were assuming Izuru would kill her" and... then I remembered that oh right, he's not in their class.

... Shit...

TWILT

Banned
That was a surprisingly decent anime so far (though keywords being so far). I adore DR2's cast, so finally seeing them in a more slice of life environment was pretty fun and neat (Ibuki, Gundam and Sonia are the besstttt). Chisa seems to be a godlike homeroom teacher too and fits really nicely with the rest of the cast. That Chiaki and Hajime scene though...
man, I'm kinda predicting Hajime (or rather, Izuru) is gonna kill Chiaki at the end and it'll be so hard to take. :(
Looking forward to the rest of the show.

FluxWaveZ

Yeah, I mean in what else order would you watch it?

Some people could wait for both series to be entirely done before jumping in, and then watching the entirety of one before starting the other. I think what MSMrRound is that, in actuality, it seems the best way to consume Danganronpa 3 is by watching episodes, alternating between both parts.

Lusankya

Some people could wait for both series to be entirely done before jumping in, and then watching the entirety of one before starting the other. I think what MSMrRound is that, in actuality, it seems the best way to consume Danganronpa 3 is by watching episodes, alternating between both parts.

I think in 100% of the cases it's best to play games, watch episodes and to read books in the order of release.
So, no exception here. I am pretty sure they know why they decided to air the two arcs like this.

PK Gaming

I really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really hope that doesn't happen

I fucking LOVE the Despair arc so far, Jesus Christ.
We already know how the characters are, so it's just straight-up more good times with them until they go Despair mode.
Which is fine. They need to suffer a bit~
But please don't take Chiaki away from me again.

Did, uh, did they put all their budget on the Despair arc? Because it's obviously better.

FluxWaveZ

I like how the Ultimate Yakuza, of all characters, was one of the students who actually bothered going to class.

Chiaki is basically what most here would be doing if they didn't need to attend.

As a person who played DR 1 and 2 once when they came out and barely remembers them, these animes and thread are so confusing. I can't imagine remembering all of these characters and this convoluted plot. I am enjoying what I do remember, but good lord they ask a lot of the audience.

Omg so much information in this episode , i think i'm going to watch it again tonight.

Everything about those characters ... priceless i mean they nailed it.
Mikan failing again and again
sonia youth
chiaki meeting with hajime
Tanaka gundam in full chunni mode

Perfect , just perfect
it's going to hurt later , it's going to hurt so hard , but goddamn if it didn't felt so good

Was that the first shot of jin kigiri , ever ? i think it's the first time we saw his face ?

FluxWaveZ

As a person who played DR 1 and 2 once when they came out and barely remembers them, these animes and thread are so confusing. I can't imagine remembering all of these characters and this convoluted plot. I am enjoying what I do remember, but good lord they ask a lot of the audience.

I can't emphasize how much I'm happy about this. So many of these kinds of sequel stories tend to get bogged down with the issue of also having to acclimatize a new audience just coming into it. It's nice that, for once, the pace is not taking a hit with rerun flashbacks that those who've been closely following the Hope's Peak Academy arc are already familiar with, or large sequences of exposition for the same purpose.

It also gives the writers more creative freedom to tell the story they want to, since they can go into this with the assumption that many of those watching are familiar with the DR story up until this point in the series.

Permanently A

If you want a recap there's this timeline:

Otherwise just ask in the thread I'm sure people are eager to talk about the story!

This is a really good show. I love how so far it's split between the more serious elements of Danganronpa with Makoto's perspective (mixed with some humor thanks to Hagakure and somewhat Asahina) and actually legitimately funny stuff with the second game's cast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom