• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa 3 The End of Hope's Peak Academy |OT| Nagito Komaeda's Wild Ride Part Two

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldStarz

Despair arc already looks more promising than Future arc so far. (Expecting both shows to eventually meet in the middle)

I wonder if people could watch the Despair arc without any previous DR knowledge.

Without ANY DR knowledge, no way.

WIth just DR1 knowledge? Maaaaybe? They're clearly trying to make it somewhat accessible by introducing the character to the anime watching audience, but unless you've played DR2, you still won't really understand the "holy shit" moment of Chiaki being alive in the real world or the "oh shit" moment in the post-credits scene where
Hajime is chosen as the candidate for the Izuru Kamakura Project (nice little gag with Hajime's original school being Kodaka High though)

chiimisu

Episode was really fun, but left me sad for some reason. Probably
Chiaki scene
:(
Still, a great start. Yukizome's amazing.
Shame she's dead already, but that's Danganronpa for you folks
There's a lot more crossovers between both of series than I expected.

Without ANY DR knowledge, no way.

WIth just DR1 knowledge? Maaaaybe? They're clearly trying to make it somewhat accessible by introducing the character to the anime watching audience, but unless you've played DR2, you still won't really understand the "holy shit" moment of Chiaki being alive in the real world or the "oh shit" moment in the post-credits scene where
Hajime is chosen as the candidate for the Izuru Kamakura Project (nice little gag with Hajime's original school being Kodaka High though)

Was thinking of it being seen more as a high school anime w/ gags than a Danganronpa thing. If you don't have the knowledge of the games, then you don't know what you're missing (aside from the first few minutes in the intro). In any case, it's more of what I was hoping for out of a DR anime, rather than Future's "We're doing another one of these!"

Rich!

that silhohette at the table at the end...

Kyosuke was one of the guys behind the Izuru project, I bet. There's gonna be a lot of crossovers between the two sides for sure.

Rich!

Mukuro tease?

3rzNAyUl.jpg

Yeah, i just rewatched the opening. Didnt see her face the first time around. Just the arms with knives.

Who was behind the imposter in the opening?

The real Ryota Mitarai.

h0tp0ck3t

Maybe she'll live
lol who am I kidding

Actually it would be funny if she did since now everyone is expecting
Izuru to do it

Whoops tag fail

Rich!

Maybe she'll live
lol who am I kidding

lol of course not

the entire character arc will be her friendship (and more) with hajime before his betrayal and her murder at his hands. and then in DR2 she of course saves his life and dies again, without him knowing he killed her in the first place

DANGANRONPA

or she could survive and be the ultimate pharmacist in future arc! lol

h0tp0ck3t

lol of course not

the entire character arc will be her friendship (and more) with hajime before his betrayal and her murder at his hands. and then in DR2 she of course saves his life and dies again, without him knowing he killed her in the first place

DANGANRONPA

or she could survive and be the ultimate pharmacist in future arc! lol

In the back of my mind I'm half expecting her to be the
Mastermind
in Future arc lmao

Was really confused when I opened the topic and saw the promotional poster as I didn't even know that the anime was separated into two parts. More Danganronpa is always nice though. Will check it out when I'm home! Thanks for the thread!

They've updated the website. For the despair side, they've added character profiles for Chisa Yukizome (Ult/SHSL Maid), Kyosuke Munkata (Ult./SHSL Class Pres.), Kohichi Kizakura (Hope's Peak talent scout), and Jin Kirigiri (then current headmaster and Kyoko's dad). Chisa was also added to the key art.

So yeah, if it wasn't already obvious, these two arcs are definitely closely related and have a few characters in both sides.

GoldStarz

The ED song is just as good .

They nailed it perfectly on all 4 songs
To each their own, I found the ED to be dull. Then again, I'm not exactly a fan of Ogata's singing so I wasn't expecting much in the first place.

They've updated the website. For the despair side, they've added character profiles for Chisa Yukizome (Ult/SHSL Maid), Kyosuke Munkata (Ult./SHSL Class Pres.), Kenji Fujiwara (Hope's Peak talent scout), and Jin Kirigiri (then current headmaster and Kyoko's dad). Chisa was also added to the key art.

So yeah, if it wasn't already obvious, these two arcs are definitely closely related, and have a few characters in both sides.

Wait you mean that guy wasn't Koichi I kinda brushed over their intros because they looked pretty much identical except for the hair color lmao

Was thinking of it being seen more as a high school anime w/ gags than a Danganronpa thing. If you don't have the knowledge of the games, then you don't know what you're missing (aside from the first few minutes in the intro). In any case, it's more of what I was hoping for out of a DR anime, rather than Future's "We're doing another one of these!"

Once again: no way, we already know this isn't going to go like normal High School anime, the tone is going to change drastically from now until the end
"We're doing another one of these!"
Oh boy, you don't know what happened in DR0, right?

pbayne

Enjoyed this a lot more than the future side. But i guess thats because im familiar with these guys and i don't have to learn 12 new characters. Plus it has way snappier, quirky direction which i hope they can keep up. Its also cool how the two sides are already interwoven with each other but im not sure how far they'll go with that(like will it be necessary to watch all of one side to even comprehend the other, or will it just be little nods here and there.)

Jeez my heart can't take these
Chiaki and Hajime scenes. Too cute.

So, about the start of the Despair arc.

Goddamn, I wasn't expecting that first scene with
Chisa and her being so casual about her death
. It pretty much established the mood that will come in later episodes when Junko starts doing her thing (
and made her more suspicious in my mind
). It also confirmed that this is a series that must be seen in order of broadcast, as the Despair episodes will spoil the Future ones, and viceversa.

And we finally see Jin Kirigiri beyond his role in DR0. And considering the last scene, I believe we are going to see both the Steering Committee and Matsuda (and possibly all his shenanigans re:Junko) quite soon.

About the characters, what can I say. It truly has a distinct mood compared to the Future arc, and all the anime tropes serve to exemplify the difference between the series. The fact that we already have characterization for the majority of them means they don't have to waste time in discovering all of their quirks.

And this was ominous as hell:

Ep 01 Despair Side

Loved the OP and ED

I really loved it as they introduced the characters pretty fast and made it more absurd lol. Chiaki <3

Also really liking that the two sides of the anime are interwoven. Cant wait to the despair to hit in.

Also this episode raises the question of
why we see the Ultimate Animator in the Future arc. Shouldnt he be one of the Remnants of despair?

PK Gaming

That was pretty decent

Standard Kishi style SoL anime with all of those gags and cutaways

It looks like
Chiaki is 100% based off a real person which is... huh.

Really interested in seeing how everything unfolds.

GoldStarz

Nope, did they ever do a proper release of that? Last time I was interested I got sick of trying to track down translated pieces of it across different websites.

Yeah.

DanganRonpa Kirigiri + DanganRonpa Togami link

DanganRonpa Gaiden: Killer Killer link (this one's a manga not a LN; there are also other manga there but they're either adaptations or just non-canon)
This should help.
DR /Zero Vol 1
DR /Zero Vol 2

A good general source for DR Media is here
But to fill you in if you don't wanna read, DR0 is more or less about the aftermath of the First Killing Game which will almost definitely show up in some form in Despair Arc because of how important it is to the plot.

Of course. Makes me wonder what happened for him to not be one of them.

Probably just was never called to class since Impy was his proxy and was just generally isolated from them. It's entirely possible that Chisa accidentally fucked them over by forcing them into a close environment where information and ideas can spread quickly.

Probably just was never called to class since Impy was his proxy and was just generally isolated from them. It's entirely possible that Chisa accidentally fucked them over by forcing them into a close environment where information and ideas can spread quickly.

Well it could be it. Still I have my doubts.

I'm feelin that OP. It's good. I like the ED too, hopefully it falls into despair as the season goes on

The best part of the episode is them just carrying around Akane on a cross after they catch her

Jigorath

Banned
So Chisa seems surprisingly capable here considering all she did in the future arc was clean a window
and then die
. She manages to disarm Peko without Peko even knowing. She also knows what Peko's real job is for some reason. Getting suspicious vibes from her.

GoldStarz

So Chisa seems surprisingly capable here considering all she did in the future arc was clean a window
and then die
. She manages to disarm Peko without Peko even knowing. She also knows what Peko's real job is for some reason. Getting suspicious vibes from her.
There really wasn't much for her to do in that situation other than clean to be honest. It was a board meeting and Chisa clearly already has her stance of siding with Munakata despite being happy that Makoto is protecting them.

As for the Poeko thing, we already know that HPA does extensive research on their prospective students and they were probably scouted as a pair, it's really not a stretch of the imagination that as their teacher Chisa was informed of their relationship
Chisa is still sketchy as fuck from the episode's cold open though like what the fuck

10-005-classroom.png

oh god this already hurts
I mean that's more than likely from the First Killing Game rather than Chiaki's death
unless she gets chosen as class representative for the council then R I P

But speaking of which, does anyone remember what was written on 1-B's chalkboard or any unique details for that matter? I feel like there's a reason Kodaka would choose that room over the other first floor classes.

Rich!

I mean that's more than likely from the First Killing Game rather than Chiaki's death

I wasn't using the photo to refer to anything to do with chiaki.

Chiaki, even in those few moments, cheered up Hajime and gave him hope. He looks at the sky, hopeful for the future....only to be brainwashed into a killer by the school he adored so much.

I want to see what Junko looks like when she's seducing/despairing people like she did wit this class or the Warriors of Hope.

I want to see what they see in her to deify her like that

I totally expect them to do this, to bring more drama to the entire situation. And if the Student Council Mutual Killing is as graphic as in Danganronpa/Zero, it won't be pretty.

Also, I found this to be hilarious:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom