• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa 3 The End of Hope's Peak Academy |OT| Nagito Komaeda's Wild Ride Part Two

Status
Not open for further replies.
Should I play Ultra Despair Girls before watching today's episode or is it too minor to matter?

I'd say it is important at this point, because last episode shown the fact that all characters are going to be in this in some way. Also it helps to get an idea of what the world state is like before and after DR2. Not to mention this is the game that shows what Monaca is capable of.

Avallon

Are you watching dub only or something? If you have been watching subbed its pretty obvious that UDG is important
Watching sub. I know Monaca is in the show along with Makoto's sis and Genocide Jack. I just haven't found a lack of UDG knowledge to matter so far. To be fair I played up until the save-wiping bug in UDG. Between that and the controls, I've found going back to it from the beginning a tough ask.

GSR

Should I play Ultra Despair Girls before watching today's episode or is it too minor to matter?

Today's ep focuses pretty much entirely on UDG stuff, so if ever there was a time to play it.

Ah, if you know the basics you're probably fine.

Anyway (ep 7):
Monaca died on her way back to her home planet

Watching sub. I know Monaca is in the show along with Makoto's sis and Genocide Jack. I just haven't found a lack of UDG knowledge to matter so far. To be fair I played up until the save-wiping bug in UDG. Between that and the controls, I've found going back to it from the beginning a tough ask.

You could always read a story synopsis or watch a YouTube compilation of the story, which ever you prefer to get you up to speed.
Also condolences to your save due to the bug, had that happen on Persona 4 Golden 40 hours in once.

Avallon

You could always read a story synopsis or watch a YouTube compilation of the story, which ever you prefer to get you up to speed.
Also condolences to your save due to the bug, had that happen on Persona 4 Golden 40 hours in once.

Yeah, I'm gonna read a synopsis. Maybe I'll play the game again some day, but my time is taken up by Tokyo Mirage Sessions at the moment. Going on 50 hours.

Yeah, I'm gonna read a synopsis. Maybe I'll play the game again some day, but my time is taken up by Tokyo Mirage Sessions at the moment. Going on 50 hours.
I never played UDG because of the genre it was attempting on a Vita, I watched a playthrough a couple of months ago.
The synopsis should be good enough anyways, there isn't too much to worry about.

I want to try and replay udg but I hate the way the games designed. I swear every clue or item you pick up comes with a scene of dialogue. 5 minutes of gameplay here and there broken up with multiple cutscenes. It's so jarring.

kewlmyc

Was wondering why it wasn't up on Funimation. Have they said how long it'll be delayed?

Here's what the website says:

"We are sorry to inform you that the launch of Danganronpa 3 Future Arc Episode 7 has been delayed. We will inform you about the earliest launch time as soon as possible. Sorry for the inconvenience. Thank you for your patience."

So no, nothing.

If we are to assume the delay is similar to Puzzle and Dragons delay, we'll be waiting for Future 7 until tomorrow morning. At least then the wait for Despair 7 will be a mere two days!

Luigi87

At work all day whilst dealing with a painful hemmoroid (>_<), looking forward to watching DR3 all day...

Come home to find it delayed?

This feeling... this is despair...

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I will refrain from clicking the black bars...

Arg, the DR theme song just popped up on my song shuffle!! >_>

Luigi87

I took this delay as a sign for me to get through/watch UDG.

boy these kids are fucked up

Yeeeeah, lol
UDG is the darkest Danganronpa game, because it actually shows us the state of the outside world.

... and yeah, the Warriors of Hope are completely fucked.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I think the episode definitely confirmed one thing...

Although the "death" of Asahina was a prank, and someone is said to die... well, we all know about that death image in which is shows that she dies... Monaka DID say to "Google it" even... I think Kodaka might have been hinting to that :p

Red Frost

Banned
Pretty much
the true conclusion
to UDG which just happened to continue the stuff that didn't sit right with me about the game.

Like this:

GGVTNOG.jpg

Why the FUCK are you speaking about her with some kind of positive "perhaps we'll meet again" declaration? We're talking about a massive key figure in the world's collapse (possibly even the most important as Junko couldn't have done it without her) as well as someone that may or may not have killed your parents. Shit would have been fine if you just left it at "and then she stopped thinking" all JoJo part 2 style.

Then there's the
status of the Warriors of Hope. They have no right to ask to go easy on Monaca after the shit they pulled. And the only way I'll accept them living is imprisoning them for life once the world gets a semblance of order again.

Man, fuck UDG.

Also,
so did Monaca really kill Miaya? Or was she lying? If it's the former, that's completely on Komaru for not doing anything about her in the climax of UDG. Would also like to know the method, but I'm sure she just got a Monokuma robot to do it or something. Hoping she was just lying though so there's another mystery that doesn't have an unsatisfying answer (yet).

The_Kid

I mean, this wasn't really filler but it sure felt like a filler episode?

Could basically just skip the whole thing and still be fine for the rest of the show honestly.

Pretty much
the true conclusion
to UDG which just happened to continue the stuff that didn't sit right with me about the game.

Like this:

Why the FUCK are you speaking about her with some kind of positive "perhaps we'll meet again" declaration? We're talking about a massive key figure in the world's collapse (possibly even the most important as Junko couldn't have done it without her) as well as someone that may or may not have killed your parents. Shit would have been fine if you just left it at "and then she stopped thinking" all JoJo part 2 style.

Is that Funimation? Because Spanish subs said something different,
they don't say NEET, they say when she gets bored of despair which definitely makes more sense than that

Pretty much
the true conclusion

Like this:

Then there's the
status of the Warriors of Hope. They have no right to ask to go easy on Monaca after the shit they pulled. And the only way I'll accept them living is imprisoning them for life once the world gets a semblance of order again.

Man, fuck UDG.

Also,
so did Monaca really kill Miaya? Or was she lying? If it's the former, that's completely on Komaru for not doing anything about her in the climax of UDG. Would also like to know the method, but I'm sure she just got a Monokuma robot to do it or something. Hoping she was just lying though so there's another mystery that doesn't have an unsatisfying answer (yet).

I dunno why you're upset at Komaru going soft on the Warriors of Hope because that's literally what Makoto did for the Remnants of Despair and they're far, far worse

Red Frost

Banned
I dunno why you're upset at Komaru going soft on the Warriors of Hope because that's literally what Makoto did for the Remnants of Despair.

Honestly, I'm starting to take issue with that as well the more we learn. I feel like if we truly saw what the remnants did (which Killer Killer seems to imply is a hell of a lot more than just murder, so probably rape, torture, arson, etc) and not just heard about it, it would be tougher to sympathize with them, which would be pretty cool honestly in a sort of meta-narrative way (which it kind of was in Danganronpa 2).

But within the confines of the actual overarching story, that doesn't change the fact Makoto shielded the worst war criminals the world has ever seen on the off chance they could be rehabilitated. I know this is just a silly game franchise, but thinking about it in real world terms, we're talking about a guy that hid a bunch of literally-worse-than-Hitlers so that they could be protected from the world that rightfully wants them dead. Even if he's being such a cock about it, it's pretty easy to see where Munakata is coming from.

That's why I liked the idea of Danganronpa 3 giving Makoto some actual consequences for his actions, but it really isn't portraying him as in the wrong at all which is just jarring for me. It'll be made all the worse if any of the remnants actually end up killing people in the present, even if it is in self defense.

Honestly, I'm starting to take issue with that as well the more we learn. I feel like if we truly saw what the remnants did (which Killer Killer seems to imply is a hell of a lot more than just murder, so probably rape, torture, arson, etc) and not just heard about it, it would be tougher to sympathize with them, which would be pretty cool honestly in a sort of meta-narrative way (which it kind of was in Danganronpa 2).

But within the confines of the actual overarching story, that doesn't change the fact Makoto shielded the worst war criminals the world has ever seen on the off chance they could be rehabilitated. I know this is just a silly game franchise, but thinking about it in real world terms, we're talking about a guy that hid a bunch of literally-worse-than-Hitlers so that they could be protected from the world that rightfully wants them dead. Even if he's being such a cock about it, it's pretty easy to see where Munakata is coming from.

That's why I liked the idea of Danganronpa 3 giving Makoto some actual consequences for his actions, but it really isn't portraying him as in the wrong at all which is just jarring for me. It'll be made all the worse if any of the remnants actually end up killing people in the present, even if it is in self defense.

No that is the point of DR3. The Remnants are actually indefensible but Makoto is such an absolutist he does it anyway. But since you know their characters it hurts more

Red Frost

Banned
No that is the point of DR3. The Remnants are actually indefensible but Makoto is such an absolutist he does it anyway. But since you know their characters it hurts more

Yeah, that's one reason I've been somewhat conflicted on the RoD plot point since Danganronpa 2, which is one reason I find it so damn fascinating. Sometimes I think it was only there to be a "we were the villains all along" twist as a subversion of the first game, and thus something that Kodaka didn't really plan out much for what comes afterwards. Then I think it's an actually amazing bit of commentary on criminal rehabilitation by going to the very extreme end of what crimes humans are capable of and making said criminals sympathetic based on what they were like prior. It's probably my favorite twist in gaming for that reason, and yet I'm torn on how it can be expanded on without creating some crazy moral dilemmas.

I guess what I'm saying is I don't want anything "safe" to come out of this series. If the RoD bring more deaths, I want Makoto to acknowledge in a breakdown that he fucked up big time despite the overly-optimistic tone of the DR2 ending. I mean we already saw how his sister handled that situation by responding to
Monaca's admittance that she killed Miaya by basically shrugging her shoulders and asking about her NEET lifestyle.
But Makoto is the Ultimate Hope, so him breaking down and admitting fault might contradict everything else the series has led up to, so what the hell is the solution here?

I really want to have faith in Kodaka here, but UDG having more than a few things that didn't sit right with me definitely makes me a bit leery about how this all is going to end.

seeing how fucked up UDG is I see more where Narakumi is coming from.

killing school life was some daycare shit compared to the crap going on outside, and then this hippie hope jackass tries to shield the criminals responsible for it all, yeah I can more easily see why Yu and Boxer snapped(especially with their waifu dead)

Debirudog

EP7.
I'm not sure if I like what was resolved for Monaca but I can buy the fact she just realized she doesn't really seem to care too much about hope or despair since she seemed to be that really immature kid who just wanted to emulate Junko mostly because it was cool but as soon as Ko nags her, she just finds it too much of a chore lol. Otherwise, a lot of promise just seems flushed out with her character.

Naegi's platitudes really do suck. I think it's supposed to be taken as the absolute furthest you can stretch the morally just hero's want to believe everyone is truly good deep down inside and can be saved. He tried to save JUNKO ffs, and she was disgusted he'd even try. Yeah Batman wants to help the Joker, Two-Face and Poison Ivy. But even Batman would have to reconsider if they killed millions upon millions and brought the world to the brink of ruin, but Makoto and Komaru don't and really, that's just stupid. What I'm surprised about is Kyoko and Byakuya were in agreement with him on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom