• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa 3 The End of Hope's Peak Academy |OT| Nagito Komaeda's Wild Ride Part Two

Status
Not open for further replies.

PK Gaming

CxMZ5L5.jpg

Future 7

This episode was actually a pretty great conclusion to Monaca's character. I was never invested in her becoming the next Junko, and I always thought the very idea of her being the mastermind in a DR sequel to be completely idiotic. So the episode completely runs with that idea; it was an idiotic episode, but great throughout. Komaru has one final showdown with Monaca, and Monaca decides that rather than fighting her (and inevitably losing to anime bullshit powerups) she just gives up on the idea altogether. Truth is, the Ultimate Despair is boring. It's passe. She never had an abnormal fetish for it like Junko; she was just a damaged person from a broken home who ran with it because it was cool at the time, but she's over it now. Even if her exit was completely ridiculous, l like how she got to take one step closer to maturing as a person.

Also the Utena reference 10/10/10/10

Does anyone think Kyoko's gonna die.

I'm trolling my friend here how it would be very fitting if Chiaki and Kyoko died the same week.

Kyoko pretty much can't die until she reveals her detective work. She's got solid plot armour to the end.

Tbh, I'm pretty sick of listening to Naegi. He spends so long talking about complete rubbish. I wish he'd shut up.

Nohar

Episode 7 Future:

Well, Nagito actually succeeded in doing something good: he creeped Monaka out so much that she decided she doesn't want to be involved anymore in the Hope/Despair conflict.

And, frankly, that is the most reasonable and logical thing to do after spending some time with that guy.

It was rather easy to guess that Monaka's wasn't the mastermind, though discovering that she really was just an observer (who did instill more conflict and moved the plot forward) is kind of a letdown. That being said, I'm actually quite happy to see her go: I don't think her character was that interesting.

Still, she is emulating Junko a little more than she probably wants to admit in the end. Junko had an habit of mimicking people and changing her personality pretty quickly. Monaka obviously emulating Chiaki reminded me of that.

Debirudog

Kyoko pretty much can't die until she reveals her detective work. She's got solid plot armour to the end.

Tbh, I'm pretty sick of listening to Naegi. He spends so long talking about complete rubbish. I wish he'd shut up.

True, she probably won't die next episode.

Probably.

I liked this episode. It basically served as an epilogue for UDG with some teases thrown in, but I still found it humorous and fun. Nagito being so dreadful and obnoxious that Monaca would want to go be a NEET in space and forget about it all is hilarious. The ridiculousness of her exit was great, and I love how she knew they'd win anyway so she cut to the chase and threw in the towel.

It was a break in the killing game action, but I'd prefer them just getting it done in one rather than splitting attention or doing it closer to the end.

FluxWaveZ

I still think Naegis gonna bite it. It'd help explain why they wanted to do a to show for this instead of a game: you can't kill off your MC if they're the players viewpoint, so move to a medium where that doesn't matter.

I disagree, why can't you? What if a Danganronpa chapter ended, and then in the next chapter, the player perspective character wakes up in a room that looks just like normal. For several minutes, you engage in a routine which is very similar to the daily routines that happened previously. Then, there's panic following the discovery of a body. There's the normal rush and horrible discovery, only to find out that the character you had been playing up to this point is dead and you're looking at the scene from the perspective of another character, who is then explicitly addressed by their name once the discovery happens?

There are ways to do it; I certainly don't think killing the main character in the game is out of bounds.

Eumi

I disagree, why can't you? What if a Danganronpa chapter ended, and then in the next chapter, the player perspective character wakes up in a room that looks just like normal. For several minutes, you engage in a routine which is very similar to the daily routines that happened previously. Then, there's panic following the discovery of a body. There's the normal rush and horrible discovery, only to find out that the character you had been playing up to this point is dead and you're looking at the scene from the perspective of another character, who is then explicitly addressed by their name once the discovery happens?

There are ways to do it; I certainly don't think killing the main character in the game is out of bounds.
You could do it but that's not really DR's style. DR really likes to never really lie to the player. It's a lot like Zero Escape in that way. It would never just suddenly switch character perspectives since it's never done that before. Even DR0 was a strictly a first person for Ryoko and third for everyone else deal.

In fact, it's DR's attention to rules that makes me think there has to be some gimmick coming up that utilises the anime, which is why I think the change from first person to third person will be significant.

Or it'll just be an anime because the SHSL animator is the mastermind, and the killing game itself is his ultimate despair inducing anime.

T-Rex.

Banned
I'm also in the Nagito is the mastermind camp. Dude is too OP with that bullshit luck of his, plus he's so batshit crazy that even Monaca couldn't be arsed with him and this is someone who is (or was) obsessed with Junko. Luck vs luck will collide.

Gvitor

Nagito redeemed Monaca. She was better in this episode than in the entirety of UDG.

Made me almost wish that she stays alive in the end.

Almost.

Eumi

Agreed, lol.

I love how she just
says "fuck it" about the whole hope and despair shenanigans and decides to become a space NEET.

Godspeed, beautiful bastard.
I wonder if that would piss Junko off or not? I'm not sure she really cared about Monaka that much but I can't imagine hearing one of her most devout followers just go "man, this is boring" would go over well considering her selling point to Kamukura was that it is the only thing that isn't boring.

jonjonaug

What about the ending scene of last week's episode? What happened on the island?

Honestly, I want this to not be mentioned again for at least an episode or two. Then Hajime shows up after Izuru's stuff on the Despair side is all done (probably the next couple episodes) having commandeered the fleet of ships that were sent his way, with no explanation ever given.

I wonder if that would piss Junko off or not? I'm not sure she really cared about Monaka that much but I can't imagine hearing one of her most devout followers just go "man, this is boring" would go over well considering her selling point to Kamukura was that it is the only thing that isn't boring.

I think it would go like this:
"Aww, I was betrayed!"
"Being betrayed so easily is despairing..."
*aroused gibberish*

Red Frost

Banned
Yeah, Monaca being turned off by despair is great in so many ways. Completely changes the tone of that discussion at the end of UDG and giving that "gross" line a different meaning. Then there's the fact all that work she did to the point of destroying the world alongside Junko came crumbling down in her mind thanks to a single exchange with a crazy guy.

And also, while it's clearly used for comedic effect, I've noticed there's a lot of stuff in the series that sort of betrays the setting. Like the Warriors of Hope being obsessed with RPGS (you know, those things made by adults that won't be made again in the current state of the world) or Monaca's falling out with despair. Her "I don't want to grow up like him" is pretty irellevant considering the irreparable damage she already caused to the world. It's basically treating the Holocaust like Hitler's chuuni phase (not a total Godwin due to her costume). And on top of all that, the whole NEET thing is kind of reliant on, you know, the entertainment industry not being totally dead (though it may not be if Killer Killer is anything to go by).

Of course that again is irrelevant considering she pulled a Kars and will hopefully die in space.

Permanently A

jB4wphH.png

Facing left - Death by NG code

Bandai
Izayoi

Facing right - Death by attacker

Chisa
Gozu
Seiko

And Tengan is facing backwards because he was killed by neither NG code nor attacker.

Good news - Kirigiri isn't dying

Bad news - Asahina is dying

just let the person makoto causes the death of be himself like in the intro

don't really wanna watch some shit like kyoko needing to be saved by makoto but he gets her killed somehow

Off-topic from Future 7, but

I think that Ryota Mitarai is going to turn out to be the one true Ultimate Hope.

Makoto? He was judged the Ultimate Hope just because he beat the Ultimate Despair.

Nagito? Nah, he just WANTED to be Ultimate Hope.

Izuru? Just some Frankenstein of Ultimate Hope.

Junko hasn't reacted to anyone like that before - even with Izuru, it felt like she fangirled over him because she knew that he was the Ultimate Hope. With Mitarai though, she was like

"holy shit, what is that!?"

So when she says it's yet another fateful encounter, it's that she found another Ultimate Hope

Also wrt that image, I don't think that Asahina will be killed - at least, not by the attacker. Because unless Makoto is the attacker, I can't see a strong reason for why he'd be responsible for her death. I wouldn't be surprised if that was a red herring though. With that said, could we really count Miaya as a survivor by that theory?

Oh, and I totally called that Monaca punked Makoto for fun.

Byakuya's in the immediate line of fire of Izuru and the RoD. No one in the killing game is going to die because there's too much weirdness with them being avoided as victims despite all being good targets to get under Makoto's skin. Toko and Hiro both seem good because they don't matter enough to whatever's going on.

Gradon

Monaca sounded too sure of that fact.
Like she knew for certain that someone will die because of Makoto. Maybe its related to Kyoko's NG code.

My problem with this episode is that it does confirm that the killing game isn't broadcasted and that raise several questions.
Who/what will have to gain from setting up this game but not farming the merits ? The answer is someone from despair/future arc obviously and i'm stuck with no real choices

Nagito ? is he awake ? if so how did he escape jabberwok island ? Also the timeline doesn't work since This DR3 game should have been prepared BEFORE the events of DR2. i know that he has bullshit luck but still.

The DR1 cast is a big no.I won't lie, the most suspicious is Asahina. If Monaca didn't kill juzo, then she's the big suspect.
It could be that she's a fake now and she was killed in ep3 and the one near naegi is the mastermind

The future fondation ? I don't see the motives. Yes they are all mostly going crazy , but they are more the victims to an extreme situation rather than the one pulling the strings.
Munakata 's probably innocent , because it wouldn't make sense otherwise given that he's portrayed as a opposite in ideals to makoto.

Asahina 's the culprit. Kigiri ordeal with munakata is a ruse to make more episodes. Also asahina is surprisingly Close to every death so far.

Monaca sounded too sure of that fact.
Like she knew for certain that someone will die because of Makoto. Maybe its related to Kyoko's NG code.

That's why I also think she was talking about Togami. Asahina and Kirigiri are at the mercy of the mastermind and attacker, who she says she has nothing to do with, and chaotic elements like Juzo or the rampaging Munakata. She shouldn't be sure about their deaths at all.

But Togami is only going to the building because Naegi contacted him and remember, Monaca made the connection. We already know there's a hostile party outside the building, if she somehow knows about them too, she should know full well that Togami and the hostiles will clash and that would explain how she's so sure which survivor will die.

Let's not forget the death flag he rose this episode:

The ending was an obvious red herring but the talk about Togami, Hagakure, and Fukawa being safe is too lull us into a false sense of security. So yeah, I think Togami is going to die...or at least have a cliffhanger death before being later revealed to have been saved by Hagakure.

Nagito redeemed Monaca. She was better in this episode than in the entirety of UDG.

Made me almost wish that she stays alive in the end.

Almost.

Monaca was fun in DR3. The "Warriors of Hope" line a couple episodes ago cracked me up. Thank you Nagito, you made UDG worthwhile in the end.

Edit: If Togami dies, SSJ2 Toko is going to be glorious.

Chase17

I feel like there may be a more elegant way to get across the message that one of the five are going to bite it, but I suppose this works.

Also I find it hilarious that Monaca stopped caring about hope/despair after hearing Nagito ramble on about it.

Jubern

Also that fucking "komaeda made me into an adult" line, what the actual fuck.
[/SPOILER]

I'm pretty sure she's referencing to how she grew up and bored of the hope/despair stuff because of Komaeda, who is all about that.
Take it as if she said "have fun with your chuuni shit, weebs, I can't be bothered anymore".

Luigi87

Oh, I forgot to mention my favourite part of the ep was during Toko's fantasy, that Komaru got "So common, so dull, so boring"'d (even if Funi translated it differently).

That was always among my favourite line in UDG, lol

This episode pretty much justified me skipping UDG when I saw that it looked like a shitty tps and the villains were all kid ass kids.

Didn't like any of those characters this episode, was a pretty boring episode in general, felt long as fuck.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Future ep.7
Well, talk about anticlimatic. Thanks god for Komaeda. Hopeman did it again!
As for someone that's going to be killed for real... i'm guessing
Asahina
Just a hunch.

Hagakure and asahina are too much of joke characters to actually kill off and mean anything.

Nobody cares about togami.

Has to be kirigiri.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom