• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa 3 The End of Hope's Peak Academy |OT| Nagito Komaeda's Wild Ride Part Two

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeonZ

Dude, he's the Ultimate Impostor, he impersonates people, in DR2 it's said that he impersonated so many people that there's a possibility he doesn't remember who he was

The Ultimate Animator is somebody who's already known by the time this Arc begins, so the Ultimate Impostor he decided to impersonate the Ultimate Animator

Also the FF doesn't exist in the Despair Arc timeline, the fact that he's impersonating as somebody who is going to be in the FF is purely coincidence, same as when he impersonated as Byakuya, he didn't know they were going to be members of the Future Foundation, he just knows how to impersonate them

The oddity is that the Ultimate Animator is listed as a student of the DR2 class even in the future story, even though it doesn't seem like he's around in the past, since it's just the Ultimate Imposter there. So, if Ryota isn't actually an Ultimate from the DR2 class, what's Ryota's actual past?

Permanently A

h7nyZu0.jpg

;_;

Feep

Banned
My understanding, from reading the bit of Danganronpa Togami's that's been translated, is that
The Ultimate Impostor took the form of Byakuya for the purposes of the plot of that story. My guess is when he woke up in his Byakuya guise in SDR2, he just adopted that persona out of necessity.

Also isn't a Gaffer NISA!Togami's VA? I wonder if he's posted in this thread.
Byakuya is voice acted by a different VA in the anime, so even if Byakuya shows up, AND this gets localized, I won't have much to do with it.

Still looking forward to watching it, though!

Byakuya is voice acted by a different VA in the anime, so even if Byakuya shows up, AND this gets localized, I won't have much to do with it.

Figured as much, 'specially since if you were you wouldn't be at leisure to talk about it.

I know another NISA cast member, Erin Fitzgerald I believe, was somewhat upset over the Funimation dub because apparently she contractually requires that she voice a character throughout each iteration they appear in. Anime licensing and casting obviously is completely different than that for the video game (if I remember correctly, Spike Chunsoft self-publishes in Japan, so it's not like Nippon Ichi has a special claim to it), but I still think it's kind of lame.

But to fill you in if you don't wanna read, DR0 is more or less about the aftermath of the First Killing Game which will almost definitely show up in some form in Despair Arc because of how important it is to the plot.

After UDG I was sort of meh on the story, but the anime has me hyped again. I'll read this sometime. And I forgot all about the Killer Killer stuff. Thanks!

Ryan_MSF

Chiaki dying
emotionally ruined me the first time

I'm not sure I can take it again, especially with how fucking cute the interaction was in that scene :-:

Alfredo

Just finished watching the first episode of the Despair arc. Man, I'm totally into this. As expected, I'm way more interested in this than Future, but I'm sure they'll complement each other well enough that I'll eventually become invested in the other.

Funimation's gonna be doing a broadcast dub for both shows.
Besides Makoto/Nagito, expect everyone else to be Texas VA though.

Ugh. I was afraid of this. Watching the Despair side, I imagined the English DR2 voices doing this, and that'd be incredible.

GSR

Fun fact: when the official DR Twitter noted the Despair side key visual had been updated with Chisa, they described it as "Finally, the protagonist is added!" So I guess she'll continue to be the focus/POV character for the Despair side.

I enjoyed both episodes more than I was expecting to, but man it's gonna take me a while to get all the Future side characters in order. Introducing them by going around a big conference table while they argued was not exactly a great way to get them to stick in my mind.

Mendrox

Watched Despair Arc yesterday. Chiaki is real and she is even cuter than in the game. ;__;

Also that Chiase is the AI of Monomi later on, right? She... acts also a bit like her? Teacher and all that? Both these series save anime this season for me.

I also loved that even though they are not in a VR simulation now, everything is still crazy to the max haha

GoldStarz

Fun fact: when the official DR Twitter noted the Despair side key visual had been updated with Chisa, they described it as "Finally, the protagonist is added!" So I guess she'll continue to be the focus/POV character for the Despair side.

I enjoyed both episodes more than I was expecting to, but man it's gonna take me a while to get all the Future side characters in order. Introducing them by going around a big conference table while they argued was not exactly a great way to get them to stick in my mind.

Yeah, apparently the three things that the preview people weren't supposed to say to the public were
  1. Chisa is the first victim of Side: Future
  2. Chisa is the Class 77-B's teacher and the main character of Side: Despair
  3. Hiro is stuck outside of the Future Foundation building

UberTag

Ugh. I was afraid of this. Watching the Despair side, I imagined the English DR2 voices doing this, and that'd be incredible.
I'm usually a big dub advocate but FUNi should have taken the time to outsource this dub and do it with the game cast if they wanted folks to be receptive to it. Nobody is chomping at the bit to get the English localized dub next month and they're effectively wasting their time and money by producing a dub with a bunch of alternates. The Dallas / Fort Worth crew is overwhelmingly talented - no question about that. But they're being set up to fail here. I can't see anyone seeking out the dub track willingly with a bunch of new people in these roles. This series is too integrated with the games to go this route.

GoldStarz

I'm usually a big dub advocate but FUNi should have taken the time to outsource this dub and do it with the game cast if they wanted folks to be receptive to it. Nobody is chomping at the bit to get the English localized dub next month and they're effectively wasting their time and money by producing a dub with a bunch of alternates. The Dallas / Fort Worth crew is overwhelmingly talented - no question about that. But they're being set up to fail here. I can't see anyone seeking out the dub track willingly with a bunch of new people in these roles. This series is too integrated with the games to go this route.

I can see people who are only familiar with DR through the Funi dub getting into it... And then being thoroughly confused by what's going on.DR3 is supposed to be a big send-off to the current arc as DR enters a new phase, so having a completely new cast who have never had anything to do with the franchise before now play the DR2 cast (and Aoi, Hiro, and Kyoko) just pretty much rings hollow to the whole spirit of things, too. The most annoying part is that I'm pretty sure only a small handful of the DR/2 VAs haven't worked with Funi before so it's not like they couldn't just hold off and give the call later to bring everyone in. I have to wonder if this was an intentional action rather than Funimation being ignorant.

Edit:
Whoever runs Spike-Chunsoft's english twitter account must not like this whole deal with Funi very much either

I don't hate the character but I think she's overrated (vastly preferred Sakura in her respective role as the 'traitor') and her appearance as a real student in the anime takes away from that fan theory where she's a creation a remanent of the Chihiro AI invented for the Hope Restoration program. Plus we already know what's going to happen to her now, so the whole thing does feel really forced.

That aside I thought this was a great start to the DR2 side of the anime. This series is really going to benefit from being its own story and not an insanely rushed adaptation of a game which excelled at its slow pacing.

It sucks you and the other English VA's won't get a chance to reprise their voices in the the English DR3 anime, since Danganronpa is one of those rare Japanese story-heavy games where I absolutely prefer the dub to the original. Obviously you can't comment on it too much though, so there's no point in pressing the issue.

Breads

Banned
I'm so incredibly excited for Despair arc now that I've seen the screens. Made me realize how much a fan I am of the DR2 cast.

Please be in there Sakura.

I'm so incredibly excited for Despair arc now that I've seen the screens. Made me realize how much a fan I am of the DR2 cast.

Please be in there Sakura.

It's weird, I used to think I was in the minority prefering DR2's cast, but it seems like that opinion is more popular than I had realized.

Like others have said, the dubbing situation for DR3 really sucks because this is meant to be the grand send off for the Hope's Peak crew. Danganronpa the Animation, let's be real, was a cheap cash-in, so having a new cast isn't really that big a deal. But DR3 will make no sense to anyone who hasn't played DR2; so much of the series worldbuilding comes from DR2 and onward, and this series is very reliant on that.

I do love that this is a show explicitly for the fans, though. Anime on late night TV is niche anyways, so I don't think there's really any issue with Continuity Lock-out.

Nightbird

I knew the Despair side was going to be good, but that exceeded my expectations!

I fucking love the DR2 cast (half the reason why i like DR2 more than DR1), and seeing them not killing each other or mistrusting each other for a while is just what i wanted (because we all know what this is leading up to ;-;)

Also, i'm in love with that OP. The calm music, the final dead room reference, the symbolic fall into despair of the whole class, the Hajime/Izuru moment, everything about the OP is amazing, and i need to know what it's called, and who made it.

Also, Chiaki ;-;
I decided to change my Avatar back to Chiaki for the duration of this series (it's been a while though lol). Watching her die again will be eternal suffering, and yet i'm ready for it.

Also, Chiaki ;-;
I decided to change my Avatar back to Chiaki for the duration of this series (it's been a while though lol). Watching her die again will be eternal suffering, and yet i'm ready for it.

Thought I recognised that avatar, I had to change back to my Chiaki one again too. We can always keep the hope alive that they do a terrible asspull retcon where you find out
Chiaki in DR2 was actually alive (but thought she was AI) and is now comatose alongside the other kids that "died".

Nightbird

Thought I recognised that avatar, I had to change back to my Chiaki one again too. We can always keep the hope alive that they do a terrible asspull retcon where you find out
Chiaki in DR2 was actually alive (but thought she was AI) and is now comatose alongside the other kids that "died".

I'd be fine with that hahaha

h0tp0ck3t

I'm just gonna hang on to the shred of Hope (lol) that Chiaki DOESN'T die just cause everyone is expecting it.

Those end credits though, the feels ;_;

Edit: Chiaki avatar train rolls on lmao

I haven't played any of these games, but I am interested in the franchise. Can someone point me to a good video of the first game that fully shows the story, without commentary?

9/9/9 is on DS and iOS. I can't play it.

999 is a different series. The Danganronpa series can be played on the vita, and PC, Mac and Linux.

999 is coming to vita and pc though, so if you own either platform you should be able to get into that soon enough.

I welcome that news. So far Chisa works well as the focus character. Using her means we can get to see more from all of the characters than if it were just Hajime.

And yeah, unless you were super into everything during the lead up to the series, I'm sure those introductions could be a bit confusing.

NEO0MJ

One thing that confuses me about Chiaki being real is that it makes it strange that Junko/Monokuma didn't immediately find out about her in DR 2.

I don't hate the character but I think she's overrated (vastly preferred Sakura in her respective role as the 'traitor') and her appearance as a real student in the anime takes away from that fan theory where she's a creation a remanent of the Chihiro AI invented for the Hope Restoration program. Plus we already know what's going to happen to her now, so the whole thing does feel really forced.

Are you really surprised to find that the Ultimate Gamer Girl is a favorite in a gaming forum :p

h0tp0ck3t

One thing that confuses me about Chiaki being real is that it makes it strange that Junko/Monokuma didn't immediately find out about her in DR 2.

I always thought they knew but just wanted the others to figure it out themselves cause Despair. I haven't played in a long time but doesn't Monokuma come out and immediately say one of them is a traitor?

Nightbird

I always thought they knew but just wanted the others to figure it out themselves cause Despair. I haven't played in a long time but doesn't Monokuma come out and immediately say one of them is a traitor?

Yes he does. It's when he did his "Stand up" with Monomi.

DNAbro

Y'all thinking too small when it comes to Chiaki

What if she didn't die and instead also became a despair unknown to the FF and is responsible for the game in DR3?

Burbeting

Banned
Making theories:

I feel like Chisa is going to end up as the mastermind behind the Future arc somehow. It would be neat twist to reveal near the end of the Despair arc that she was converted into ultimate despair as well, but undercover one.

h0tp0ck3t

Y'all thinking too small when it comes to Chiaki

What if she didn't die and instead also became a despair unknown to the FF and is responsible for the game in DR3?

Oh don't you worry I got a crazy crack pot conspiracy for you.

Chiaki ]is really or rather becomes Miaya the Ultimate Therapist. The real Miaya is killed in the Tragedy and Chiaki takes her place after just nearly getting killed by Izuru.

Why you ask?
Well how bout as was mentioned before in this thread they look somewhat similar
Why doesn't she talk? Why didn't they announce her voice actress? Cause it's Chiaki's. Chiaki aint the Ultimate Imposter so she can pull off the look but not the act so she just keeps her mouth shut.
Why is she in a wheel chair? Cause like I said before she got beat to within an inch of her life by Izuru.
Now how about this? Her profile on the wiki mentions Miaya both worked on the Neo World Program and is in charge of Future Foundation's Cyber Security. How did Alter Ego get in to modify the Neo World Program in preparation for Makoto's plan? Why did Alter Ego choose to model the moderation AI after Chiaki? She used Miyaya's position in the Future Foundation to get him in there, no one would suspect she was making changes to it since Miyaya had worked on it previously, nor would anyone suspect that the head of Cyber Security would be inserting malicious code into a program they helped design.
Then she and Alter Ego decide that the AI should be someone the Ultimate Despairs were close with.

TLDR Chiaki is Miyaya in the Future Arc based on that I haven't slept in 3 days and am running on coffee and 5 hour energy

Edit: removing spoiler tags in light of recent posts about excessive use of spoiler tags

Making theories:

I feel like Chisa is going to end up as the mastermind behind the Future arc somehow. It would be neat twist to reveal near the end of the Despair arc that she was converted into ultimate despair as well, but undercover one.

That'd be too on the nose though, that's exactly what happened with Junko/Mukuro

yami4ct

Caught both sides now. Side future seems to be mostly telling the story I want it to tell, even if I'm sad we're getting just another straight up killing game instead of some new ideas. Started a bit slow, but by the time it kicked off, there's enough interesting stuff there that I'm excited to see pay off.

Side Despair reminded me why I cannot stand 90% of the DR2 cast. The humor has moments, but it's mostly ruined by some absolutely terrible fan service garbage jokes that just don't work. The interstitial animations were a nice touch and the presentation is nice, Hopefully this thing gets dark soon, because I do not want to see these characters interact in a boring high school anime with some black humor thrown in.

I watched the episode 01 - despair side. Surprised to see Chiaki, but glad she is "real". It was a decent first episode.

Do we already have episode 02, or the Future side first episode?

FluxWaveZ

I watched the episode 01 - despair side. Surprised to see Chiaki, but glad she is "real". It was a decent first episode.

Do we already have episode 02, or the Future side first episode?

Future side episode 1 has been out since Monday. You watched Despair 01 before Future 01? Didn't the beginning of the episode completely confuse you?

Future side episode 1 has been out since Monday. You watched Despair 01 before Future 01? Didn't the beginning of the episode completely confuse you?
Yeah, watched despair first. I wasnt aware they split the anime in two parts so I initially thought it was the first episode of everything. Reading the thread now I realized it, now I'm going to watch future side.

The beginning wasn't that confusing since I assume it is happening in the past, right? The new teacher gathering the students and stuff, Hajime is still a regular student, so it was fine, I guess?

FluxWaveZ

The beginning wasn't that confusing since I assume it is happening in the past, right? The new teacher gathering the students and stuff, Hajime is still a regular student, so it was fine, I guess?

I'm talking about the very first scene in Despair 01 at the theater, unless that's also what you were referring to? Well, I guess its importance will make more sense when you see Future 01.

Rich!

Yeah, watched despair first. I wasnt aware they split the anime in two parts so I initially thought it was the first episode of everything. Reading the thread now I realized it, now I'm going to watch future side.

...nope. you've missed the point entirely that we are trying to get at. Regarding a very specific character.

Just watch future side episode 1. And try and absolutely forget everything about the intro of despair until after.

And next time, watch them in order. Future, then despair each week.

I'm talking about the very first scene in Despair 01 at the theater, unless that's also what you were referring to? Well, I guess its importance will make more sense when you see Future 01.

Oh, yeah that scene didn't make sense since I didn't know the character. But I thought it was something they would explain later so I just went with it. lol

But thanks, I'll see Future 01 now.

...nope. you've missed the point entirely that we are trying to get at. Regarding a very specific character.

Just watch future side episode 1. And try and absolutely forget everything about the intro of despair until after.

And next time, watch them in order. Future, then despair each week.

I see, thanks guys.

Sorry for the double post.

So, Chisa appeared in the theater after being killed. That basically confirms they are experiencing a simulator again, right?

So far, they could have done a game of this. I thought they were going for an anime adaptation because of Junko's situation.

GoldStarz

Sorry for the double post.

So, Chisa appeared in the theater after being killed. That basically confirms they are experiencing a simulator again, right?

So far, they could have done a game of this. I thought they were going for an anime adaptation because of Junko's situation.

Ya should probably spoiler tag that, but so far what we know about that scene is
literally nothing. Everyone can agree it's incredibly cryptic, but as for it's actual meaning there's nothing solid to hit it with. I've seen theories ranging from multiverse (since there is implied to be a DR multiverse from IF) to Chisa watching from the afterlife to what you said about this being a simulation.

As for why it couldn't be turned into a game, the Final Killing Game isn't going to be Trial rules, but instead a game of Werewolf/Mafia, turning that into a game would require 13 branching paths at the start and several branches from there and it would kinda just be a general mess and probably not very much fun to play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom