• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa 3 The End of Hope's Peak Academy |OT| Nagito Komaeda's Wild Ride Part Two

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eumi

I didn't really count Izuru, but yes, so far she's had an individual process. The thing is that a lot of these reactions are driven by what the anime's leading us to believe will happen. Aside from Hajime and Mikan, none of the DR2 cast have mentally changed at all since the beginning (even Fuyuhiko, whose sister was killed), and we only have 3 more episodes to operate with.

But the method behind the DR2 cast's despair is very important; as important as the end result. If what they suffered was "forced brainwashing against their will," they will be made redeemable characters. Characters who weren't in control of their own actions. This fundamentally changes the message of DR2's ending and how they decided that they would still exit the VR simulation, facing whatever future awaited them despite who they actually were.
Fair point honestly. I'd always seen the ending of DR2 as being more about them having always been redeemable, but I can see where you're coming from, and that fits in nicely with characters like Fuyuhiko and Mahiru who did terrible stuff before even becoming despair and Fuyuhikos entire arc is about him continuing on despite that.

Honestly though I'm still super excited to see the DR2 cast post-graduation. The ending to 2 implies that they're reformed, but it also implied that they were still fucked up in some major ways if Byakuyas concerns aren't taken lightly.

I remember that being mentioned, but I have no idea. Either way, though, I feel like since the last episode of Despair happens after the last episode of Future, it'd have to be something special. I suppose the series plot could end with Future and the last episode of Despair could still be set in the past, though.

For a while I was wondering if Despair 12 would jump ahead and cut to Jabberwock Island, but after Future 6 that seems unlikely. Despair 12 being set in the past could be used to cover any last lingering plot details regarding the mastermind and/or the traitor and their motivations or other stuff.

But yeah, there are a number of different approaches they could take.

Red Frost

Banned
Is anyone starting to think Hajime's battle in his mind in DR2 was based on what he thought Izuru was like rather than what he was really like? The guy is just so detached that it's hard to believe him caring about anything, so blaming the FF for anything seems out of character.

Red Frost

Banned
On the brainwashing thing, it's more than just changing the meaning of DR2. It also completely wastes the back stories of the cast that could very easily be the catalysts for their fall. Not a single one didn't have something that could be exploited by the supposed master manipulator Junko, even Nekomaru with his serious illness.

And on top of all that, we're fairly certain that's exactly what Junko did with the Warriors of hope. It's starting to seem like the only people she can directly manipulate to do her bidding are succeptible children and her sister.

Ryan_MSF

Is anyone starting to think Hajime's battle in his mind in DR2 was based on what he thought Izuru was like rather than what he was really like? The guy is just so detached that it's hard to believe him caring about anything, so blaming the FF for anything seems out of character.

We got a pretty good sense of what Izuru was like during the flashback sequence where he was talking to Nagito.

I could be remembering this wrong, but I'm pretty sure the exchange between Nagito and Izuru on the boat made it seem like it was the first time they had actually met before as well.

I have the feeling that their original plan was indeed having Junko use their weaknesses, emotions, close relatives, etc. to make them fall into Despair, but since they only had 12 episodes to do it, they decided to explore other parts of the lore and just use the anime as an explanation and to give more importance to Ryota.
I could be remembering this wrong, but I'm pretty sure the exchange between Nagito and Izuru on the boat made it seem like it was the first time they had actually met before as well.
Yeah they don't recognize each other, but I'm
hoping
sure they'll find a way to make them forget of their encounter.

Honestly though I'm still super excited to see the DR2 cast post-graduation. The ending to 2 implies that they're reformed, but it also implied that they were still fucked up in some major ways if Byakuyas concerns aren't taken lightly.
probably remnants of both of their selves left aside from nagito who has 100% chance of being the same whether in despair or not.

I take it to mean that Izuru in his mind was just a representation of his insecurities.

On the brainwashing thing, it's more than just changing the meaning of DR2. It also completely wastes the back stories of the cast that could very easily be the catalysts for their fall. Not a single one didn't have something that could be exploited by the supposed master manipulator Junko, even Nekomaru with his serious illness.

And on top of all that, we're fairly certain that's exactly what Junko did with the Warriors of hope. It's starting to seem like the only people she can directly manipulate to do her bidding are succeptible children and her sister.

What if Ryota is True Ultimate Despair

The only twists I can see coming are 1) Chisa is somehow involved as a traitor or 2) The people murdered by the attacker have something in common we don't know yet

:p
fqNEG2y.png

The only twists I can see coming are 1) Chisa is somehow involved as a traitor or 2) The people murdered by the attacker have something in common we don't know yet

In my opinion, the biggest thing is that the Future arc events still lack a purpose. What's the point of a killing game between the Future Foundation heads and not make it public? If the last members of Despair wanted the FF in shambles, a simple attack would be enough.

I believe the next episode may shed light on this, as we are approaching the end of the series and I don't see the final confrontation being solved in a single episode.

RedHill

Banned
At this point with so many people being hostile, I can definitely see all living people in Future Arc being called for a "final trial" or something that also relates to the trial of Naegi. It's the best way to bring everyone together.

Also, am I alone in still liking Ruruka?

PK Gaming

At this point with so many people being hostile, I can definitely see all living people in Future Arc being called for a "final trial" or something that also relates to the trial of Naegi. It's the best way to bring everyone together.

Probably

But I checked out the dub and found out that she's voiced by Jad Jaxton so I imagine I would have liked her 500,000,000x more if I regularly watched the dub.

Maebe

I feel conflicted by this show. I did enjoy Kirigiri and Komaeda getting spotlight to do their cool shit but it also feels a bit disappointing. But it's mainly just because I personally don't care about Ruruka or her dead boyfriend.

With despair 8 I wish we saw some glimpses of what and how Komaeda investigated before he came back to school and knew absolutely everything. It's like using Kirigiri and Komaeda as plot devices because every other character is too incompetent or have their heads too far up their asses. I wasn't expecting almost everyone in the 77th class to be so irrelevant when I assumed this was gonna be about how they fell into despair. Even Mikan's, who was a huge deal in the game was changed offscreen and she's suddenly absolutely crazy.

IMO Monaka's emotional manipulation in DRAE did it well and I was expected Junko to be that on steroids but it's actually just a lame video and anime.
In future I also feel many characters are wasted. Naegi is like a bad parody of himself, Aoi only exists to carry him around, Monaka got written out in the lamest way after a shocking and hype introduction, Munakata's whole character is a trainwreck at this point and I can't take him seriously at all, but that's just me.

Chiaki is just a complete waste of time. I just think Chisa could have served her purpose as motivation girl if Hinata really needs that to advance while actually having plot relevance and backstory.

I have the feeling that their original plan was indeed having Junko use their weaknesses, emotions, close relatives, etc. to make them fall into Despair, but since they only had 12 episodes to do it, they decided to explore other parts of the lore and just use the anime as an explanation and to give more importance to Ryota.
I agree with this, instead of just repeating stuff we already know of (even though we haven't seen them directly) they wanted Future and Despair to be connected to tell a different, larger story. I'd say it's been working nicely till now for sure, I hope they'll manage to reach a satisfying conclusion.

Also, now that you guys mentioned it, I'd say we absolutely need some form of trial to end it. It's just too fitting. I didn't even realise that they were missing this entire time, and yet they are my favorite part of the games.

Just caught up with the dub.

Rewatching the Tengan badass scenes was a treat.

It sounds like they got Monaka's voice actress back. Which makes sense, as she's worked with Funi before. She sounds a bit older here, but given what we saw in Future 7 it fits.

Juzo remains the best new voice actor, although Ruruka, Seiko and Tengan's actors all did great jobs.

I just looked it up, and I didn't realize that Chisa's voice actress also does Monkey D. Luffy.

watched the 1st Future dub, oh dear god at that Monokuma, what the fuck have they done?

was that the same voice in the anime of the 1st game? I never watched it.

watched the 1st Future dub, oh dear god at that Monokuma, what the fuck have they done?

was that the same voice in the anime of the 1st game? I never watched it.

Yes, they used this Monokuma in the first anime. By far the worst casting choice they've made in a DR anime. Which is despair inducing, given he's the mascot of the series.

FStubbs

Japan likes her apparently.

I have a hunch it's because she's pretty.

Derpot

I don't understand how it is possible to like Ruruka.

Her design is nice, but that bitch doesn't have a single redeeming quality. She just manipulates others by using her talent and being cute, she acts all cocky when Blacksmith boyfriend is here to protect her ass, but when shit happens and she has nothing or noone to protect her, she whimpers and cries. She hates traitors but she's a traitor herself and she only gives a shit about herself. To me, she's the worst DR character ever. I thought Hagakure was the worst but even he has redeeming qualities and actually gives a shit about people.

I dunno, maybe some people like her because she's "human" or something, but I'm genuinely curious to hear their reasons haha

Derpot

I haven't played UDG so I don't know about Haiji Towa (isn't he the pedo guy I often read about or something? lol)

It's a really nice ass.

A sweet ass, am I right ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

And I forgot to mention that she killed her boyfriend because she thought he was going to betray her, I mean, how did she know he was going to do such a thing? Why didn't she tell him about her NG code? She's a fucking paranoid horrible person.

I like the implication Blacksmith was a crack fiend since childhood.

Like I can't imagine why she would kill him unless the brainwashing effects started to wear off and she wasn't sure he'd obey her every command like he did every other time we saw them.

Mendrox

I haven't played UDG so I don't know about Haiji Towa (isn't he the pedo guy I often read about or something? lol)

And I forgot to mention that she killed her boyfriend because she thought he was going to betray her, I mean, how did she know he was going to do such a thing? Why didn't she tell him about her NG code? She's a fucking paranoid horrible person.

Eh.. I toke that as "Shit he isn't eating my sweets anymore...the control effect will be gone soon..." which is also the reason that she pressed him as much which makes her way more horrible....she controlled him all the time.

Derpot

I like the implication Blacksmith was a crack fiend since childhood.

Like I can't imagine why she would kill him unless the brainwashing effects started to wear off and she wasn't sure he'd obey her every command like he did every other time we saw them.

Eh.. I toke that as "Shit he isn't eating my sweets anymore...the control effect will be gone soon..." which is also the reason that she pressed him as much which makes her way more horrible....she controlled him all the time.

I definitely believe that.
It's too bad we don't know more about Izayoi, about his thoughts and feelings. He was just Ruruka's brainwashed dog until the end. Poor him.

FStubbs

Haha fair point on Ruruka's ass.

I'm thinking she's been continually brainwashimg him since they were kids and like Juzo it wore off.

Re Haiji: his sister Monaca is a hate sink but he'd be the worst DR character even if he weren't a hard core pedophile. That's how awful he is.

Some people like Ruruka because she's awful. She's a brat who is insecure and not all there, who is obsessed with getting constant praise and attention. That can actually be amusing, and people do like villains. Japanese people in particular seem to find that archetype amusing.

Others are waiting to see what happens before judging her. Some people expect her to get some form of redemption, which would generally fits how Kodaka handles most characters. Almost all of the FF assholes have had moments that either humanize them or make you like them. Not sure if we're getting that with Ruruka, but it would fit Kodaka's mo.

I personally find her slightly amusing, and I do like her design, but she's ranking near the bottom of the pack for the new characters.

Also, the true worst character is Haiji.

RedHill

Banned
Imo Ruruka doesn't need a redeeming quality for someone to like her. She's a bad person, but she's very entertaining, especially in the last episode, and it'd be a shame for her to just bite it especially after going full crazy

Mendrox

Also there are now too many theories for me floating around.

A) Asahina and Chisa changed places around episode 5/6 (a bit obvious from the despair opening too imo), Monaca didn't lie, Asahina is already dead

B) It's an anime

C) Chisa got Junko mindfucked, they changed places, Junko teaches them into despair, Ryoko is Chisa and is the real candidate in the mind wipe experiment etc. at the end Junko is really the mastermind in D3

D) Chisas corpse is a fake, she hides and is the mastermind

E) Chiaki is the mastermind

F) The killer alternates and everytime everyone gets memory wiped

Hopefuly there is no delay tomorrow...

Permanently A

Also there are now too many theories for me floating around.

A) Asahina and Chisa changed places around episode 5/6 (a bit obvious from the despair opening too imo), Monaca didn't lie, Asahina is already dead

B) It's an anime

C) Chisa got Junko mindfucked, they changed places, Junko teaches them into despair, Ryoko is Chisa and is the real candidate in the mind wipe experiment etc. at the end Junko is really the mastermind in D3

D) Chisas corpse is a fake, she hides and is the mastermind

E) Chiaki is the mastermind

F) The killer alternates and everytime everyone gets memory wiped

Hopefuly there is no delay tomorrow...

I mean Monaca can only truly know that one of Naegi's friends will die... if they're already dead. Chisahina theory makes a ton of sense

Vamphuntr

I mean Monaca can only truly know that one of Naegi's friends will die... if they're already dead. Chisahina theory makes a ton of sense

Or she knows Kirigiri NG code. When everyone is knocked out her robot can still move around. If Ruruka's was about someone leaving the game, Kirigiri's might be about solving the mystery.

Hina doesn't have to be dead for that theory to work out.

Monaka had access to all the cameras and computers in the building, she could've caught the despairs touching base or the traitor talking to themself. She may have also picked up on some pattern or something from observing the night/sleep phases.

my personal theory is that the ultimate goal of this game is reforming Munakata with Yukizome and Nagito being masterminds.

it's obviously not for despair. it's not being broadcast. it's obviously not to kill all the FF heads. the mastermind could have done that from the very beginning. it's also not about defeating Naegi and sending despair that way. otherwise, it would have been broadcast, and the mastermind would have set the rules such that any confrontation with Naegi would not happen til closest to the end to cause the most despair.

I think there is also a hidden link between Munakata and Junko. why? Kizakura warned Jin about Munakata potentially making a power play. Jin got ceremoniously killed by Junko. I don't think Munakata is necessarily evil, but he is definitely power hungry. I could also seem as having facilitated Junko as a means to an end that became a much larger problem to deal with than he thought.

FStubbs

my personal theory is that the ultimate goal of this game is reforming Munakata with Yukizome and Nagito being masterminds.

it's obviously not for despair. it's not being broadcast. it's obviously not to kill all the FF heads. the mastermind could have done that from the very beginning. it's also not about defeating Naegi and sending despair that way. otherwise, it would have been broadcast, and the mastermind would have set the rules such that any confrontation with Naegi would not happen til closest to the end to cause the most despair.

I think there is also a hidden link between Munakata and Junko. why? Kizakura warned Jin about Munakata potentially making a power play. Jin got ceremoniously killed by Junko. I don't think Munakata is necessarily evil, but he is definitely power hungry. I could also seem as having facilitated Junko as a means to an end that became a much larger problem to deal with than he thought.

That would surprise me. Munakata is a Knight Templar to the hilt. He would have killed Junko in despair arc if he got his hands on her.

That would surprise me. Munakata is a Knight Templar to the hilt. He would have killed Junko in despair arc if he got his hands on her.

he's been hinged to be a usurper by Kizakura. he's also shown himself to not be above killing for his own goals. I mean he did send his faction to go and kill the remnants of despair regardless of whether they are reformed or not.

Burbeting

Banned
he's been hinged to be a usurper by Kizakura. he's also shown himself to not be above killing for his own goals. I mean he did send his faction to go and kill the remnants of despair regardless of whether they are reformed or not.

I think there hasn't been enough fore-shadowing for this twist to be believable. Munakata has been completely absent for almost all of Despair arc, and Kizakura was the one who recruited Junko to Hope's Peak, not Munakata.

FStubbs

Exactly. That makes him a Knight Templar. Everything he does is for the sake of his own twisted sense of morality. Like Tousen said in Bleach:

"Justice without righteousness is nothing but murder. But murder in the name of righteousness is justice."

Every episode that passes in Despair arc where we don't see Great Gozu makes me more and more suspicious. As it stands, we're STILL waiting to see Bandai, Miaya, and Gozu, the only characters from Future arc to not show up in Despair arc. The later their reveal, the more curious their roles in that arc become.

FStubbs

Every episode that passes in Despair arc where we don't see Great Gozu makes me more and more suspicious. As it stands, we're STILL waiting to see Bandai, Miaya, and Gozu, the only characters from Future arc to not show up in Despair arc. The later their reveal, the more curious their roles in that arc become.

I was suspicious of Gozu, but rewatching episode 1, I'm a little less. Unless he was clever enough to make the gas grenade roll away from him and then back to between his feet. It seemed to be coming from the direction of ... Chisa. Though I can't say for certain she did it either.

Who killed Gozu probably IS the key to this whole thing though. As far as we can tell Makoto, Aoi, Gozu, and Monaca were in a closed room.

Bandai is higher on my suspect list since he was the first NG victim and he was the one who first scoped out the building after Monokuma appeared.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom