• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa 3 The End of Hope's Peak Academy |OT| Nagito Komaeda's Wild Ride Part Two

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are going to get your dead Chiaki, your anime brainwashing and will fully understand dr2 cast were really chumps all along.

can i get the dead chiaki, but hold the brainwashing?

as mentioned, if they can't even follow through on mikan's fall to despair, which was... pretty much explicitly laid out in DR2 (though i guess her class being all friendly-like kinda threw a wrench in that) then i have little hope for the rest of the DR2 cast. i'm enjoying the show, but the handling of the DR2 characters seems like it's shaping up to be pretty disappointing

TP

What the hell was Nagito really about to show the class his new toy

HE6H4EJ.png

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
can i get the dead chiaki, but hold the brainwashing?

NO!

as mentioned, if they can't even follow through on mikan's fall to despair, which was... pretty much explicitly laid out in DR2 (though i guess her class being all friendly-like kinda threw a wrench in that) then i have little hope for the rest of the DR2 cast. i'm enjoying the show, but the handling of the DR2 characters seems like it's shaping up to be pretty disappointing

I always though that the abuse that she received from Junko was construed as "love" because of the fact that she was so mercilessly bullied (mostly by Hiroko really).

In the anime, she's kinda acting like Mukuro, except waaaaaaaay more in heat.

Goodstyle

Despair 8

I could talk about how laughable it is that the government MIGHT get involved, even though there was a literal massacre that went viral.

I could talk about the MIND CONTROL DESPAIR VIDEO, being a plot point.

But screw that. I'm going to talk about how the anime completely, completely, completely ruined Mikan.

Mikan's character in DR2 was a tragedy. She was someone who experienced so much abuse and bullying that it literally broke her. It was the fact that she never truly felt love that allowed Junko to come in and entice her into joining the Ultimate Despair. Junko gave her love and affection towards when nobody else in the world would.

Her entire character is predicated on abuse & love. But the anime says fuuuuuuuuuck that. Instead, let's have Mikan get kidnapped and Despair'd by some video, turning her Mikan into someone sexed-up Despair pig. They totally ignored how abuse completely shaped her. She went from being literally one of the most compelling characters in the series to literal garbage. And that my friends, is no bueno.

Well fuck, now I'm mad.

Gradon

EDIT: Killing game turned Mikan into despair... Right...
That bit has annoyed me, her speech in DR2 doesn't match whats happening here.
The rest of the episode was great. Minus the downgraded animation.

So like, are they animating this each week?? If so, that's pretty insane. I thought they would've animated the whole season before episode 1 release and then place the audio over it, releasing them week by week.

TWILT

Banned
Fun episode. My favorite part was when Nagito was about to shoot Junko only to have Izuru show up behind him to go, "Bro? I have good luck too." I admit I smiled and the Peko vs Mukuro fight was cool too.

The whole anime brainwashing though...can't say I care for it at all. PK pretty much explained what I wanted to say about Mikan in particular. Just feels like a weak reasoning.

l
I could talk about how laughable it is that the government MIGHT get involved, even though there was a literal massacre that went viral.

Thins seem to be getting retconned left and right but the massacure details should only be floating among the Reserve Course students until after DR:0 at least.

Despair 8

But screw that. I'm going to talk about how the anime completely, completely, completely ruined Mikan.

Mikan's character in DR2 was a tragedy. She was someone who experienced so much abuse and bullying that it literally broke her. It was the fact that she never truly felt love that allowed Junko to come in and entice her into joining the Ultimate Despair. Junko gave her love and affection towards when nobody else in the world would.

Her entire character is predicated on abuse & love. But the anime says fuuuuuuuuuck that. Instead, let's have Mikan get kidnapped and Despair'd by some video, turning her Mikan into someone sexed-up Despair pig. They totally ignored how abuse completely shaped her. She went from being literally one of the most compelling characters in the series to literal garbage. And that my friends, is no bueno.

well, fuck. you're absolutely fucking right.

Anime turned Mikan into despair... Right...

So like, are they animating this each week?? If so, that's pretty insane. I thought they would've animated the whole season before episode 1 release and then place the audio over it, releasing them week by week.

Anime production can be kind of a cluster fuck sometimes. I remember reading about another series (I think it was Kill La Kill) that finished up work on an episode a few hours before it was supposed to air.

Anime turned Mikan into despair... Right...

here's the thing: Junko experimented with memory manipulation and Mitarai's brainwashing tech. Mikan's story doesn't have to be true. In fact, DR2 characters having false memories due to Junko does multiple things. one, it makes the remnants of despair much more redeemable. two, it's much more in character for Junko. three, it does kind of set it up that Hajime/Izuru will probably be the true ultimate hope. four, it makes the simulation of DR2 not brainwashing but counter programming to what Junko did.

Soriku

Despair 8

In general I think the writing of this anime is really shallow compared to the visual novels.

Amani

Des-bear 8 (WHEN'S MONOKUMA COMING BACK)
(Don't actually come back tho.)

K, so it looks like Ryota is not a Remnant of Despair, peaced the fuck out and went for help when he got the chance. It's possible he still is the mastermind in the Future arc (Junko did just threaten class 77's lives), but now I'm not sure what his motives would be, assuming Munakata's theory back in EP 4 is correct.

Hey look, it's Juzo. Whacha gonna do today Juzo? Be a complete piece of trash? Oh boy!
Hey look, Munakata's back. Yaaaaay...?
Hey look, Matarai! Actual yay!

I'm actually kinda bummed we didn't see the relationship between Tsumiki and Junko that DR2 proposed. We may or may not be going down the brainwashing video route. If it was brainwashing, then I'm calling it now, Chiaki gets brainwashed first, Izuru stops her, and bullshit ensues. Still really want to know what happens with him. He hasn't directly killed anyone yet, though
his whole spiel to Nagito in Chapter 0 of DR2 makes it pretty clear he doesn't (or at least, didn't) think highly of normal folks.

Well, some FINALLY said the "sore wa" line. Now with 100% real bullets!

The only real dip in the animation quality I could notice was Nagito's hair doing that thing where it becomes transparent when overlapping with his face. Could someone point out any other flaws they noticed?

FluxWaveZ

I really liked Nagito vs. Junko. But, although it makes sense with how the Danganronpa universe handles "luck" as a talent, I wasn't into Izuru coming into the scene and also going "I have Ultimate Luck, too." The idea of someone's BS being able to supplant Nagito's—or someone else with "natural luck" like Makoto—doesn't sit right with me for some reason.

I know Izuru's the Ultimate Ultimate, but that's the one talent I might have preferred him not having. It's not physical or mental in nature.

Edit: Plus, I find it so much more satisfying when Nagito's chessmaster cunning + his luck make for grandiose plans that actually come together in the end. He's one of the best parts of DR3, for sure, and I'm glad they didn't mess him up, because he's basically the best DR character to me, if only for how entertaining it is to watch him do his thing. If it wasn't for Izuru's "luck," he could have defeated Junko right then and there.

Can't say I saw any noticeable animation quality drops. I'm usually not that aware of them, in general.

Despair 8

Yeah, it's like you've been saying before: DR3 is doing an extremely poor job of handling how DR2's cast fell to despair. They're meant to be broken people with tragic pasts that drove them to become monsters. Now, they're youth-loving teenagers with a happy-go-lucky school life who are going to end up being forced against their will to become bad guys via brain washing. It doesn't make sense, and any depth to the DR2 cast—aside from some exceptions like Nagito and (Impostor) Mitarai—is gone.

MSMrRound

Des-bear 8 (WHEN'S MONOKUMA COMING BACK)
(Don't actually come back tho.)

Well, some FINALLY said the "sore wa" line. Now with 100% real bullets!

THAT'S WRONG! (Sorry, wanted to do that)

Hajime had used a similar line earlier in the Despair arc, when he got into a tussle with Juzo as he tried to make his way into Hope's Peak Academy to find Mahiru.

Chase17

Nagito just gets things done. The man's gone for months, and within his first day back has ultimate disappear held at gunpoint.

Also, I find it somewhat funny that Chiaki still cares about Hajime even though, for all she knows, he's just been ditching/avoiding her for a year.

Chase17

I really liked Nagito vs. Junko. But, although it makes sense with how the Danganronpa universe handles "luck" as a talent, I wasn't into Izuru coming into the scene and also going "I have Ultimate Luck, too." The idea of someone's BS being able to supplant Nagito's—or someone else with "natural luck" like Makoto—doesn't sit right with me for some reason.

I know Izuru's the Ultimate Ultimate, but that's the one talent I might have preferred him not having. It's not physical or mental in nature.

Edit: Plus, I find it so much more satisfying when Nagito's chessmaster cunning + his luck make for grandiose plans that actually come together in the end. He's one of the best parts of DR3, for sure, and I'm glad they didn't mess him up, because he's basically the best DR character to me, if only for how entertaining it is to watch him do his thing. If it wasn't for Izuru's "luck," he could have defeated Junko right then and there.
While I liked the line at first, I do agree with this. I'm just going to go through the mental gymnastics and say that it was Nagito's luck that caused the gun to jam.

Has Ryoto ever gone to class? His reaction to Junko's threat made it seem like he cared for the classmates a lot (or maybe just imposter).

Edit: Sorry for dp

Also, I find it somewhat funny that Chiaki still cares about Hajime even though, for all she knows, he's just been ditching/avoiding her for a year.
little did Hajime no but he actually was the super high school level player. one conversation and he can get thirst that lasts for over a year.

also, Izuru is the win button for whomever he sides with. on top of everything, he has luck that rivals Nagito. half expecting all the weapons of Munakata's faction are going to malfunction allowing Izuru to escape and save the ones who saved him and the other remnants.

Yeah if Despair failed to give Mikan a good reason to fall into despair I'm not confident about the rest of them. Mikan should've been the easiest by far.

Gradon

Can we really call the video Anime when it's an edited version of their real life events?

I meant to write killing game video but wrote anime by mistake. Silly me.

It's not even really clear to me how an animator is supposed to help. She needs to look up the Super Duper Director instead.

This.

Mikan's story doesn't have to be true. In fact, DR2 characters having false memories due to Junko does multiple things. one, it makes the remnants of despair much more redeemable. two, it's much more in character for Junko.

Regardless of Mikan's story being true or not, her falling to despair because of a killing game video and being compelled to fall in love with Junko over this horrifying video is a lot less interesting, not as believable and not as sad as her story from DR2 of Junko emotionally manipulating her to believe that Junko was literally the only people who ever loved her and strung her along into Ultimate Despair. Why was she not horrified by the video?

Much like the kids in Despair Girls, it feels like Junko digging into peoples insecurities and converting them to Despair made a lot more sense then a horrifying video suddenly making people follow her. I understand this plot point being applied to the Reserve Course students... But that's about it.

I love the cast of DR2, I don't want them to be redeemable. I want them to be responsible for their terrible actions. The feeling we got from the end of DR2 that such a cast of lovable characters were capable of doing such Despair by just being close to Junko is terrifying. Them being converted via anime / a video ruins the notion that they are responsible for the pain and suffering they cause. I wouldn't be happy with that plot point (but I guess its been discussed a hundred times already).

I seriously hope they show the conversation Makoto had with the Remnants before the NWP.

I know it is not going to happen, but it is, personally, one the things I wanted to see the most.

If the brainwashing had been left to the reserve course suicides I would've been fine with that, but adding it to the DR2 cast is a shame. Many of them had backstories explored in FTEs and the main story that gave you a good idea of how everyone fell into despair and how Junko manipulated them all. Changing it to this is unsatisfying and takes away from their characters.

There are exceptions, like Hajime, Nagito, and Impostor, but the others look like they're going to get the short end of the stick here.

Izuru having luck did surprise me a bit. It makes sense, but I would think luck would be pretty hard to give someone. Despite that, I did sort of like that sequence. The Peko vs. Mukuro fight was kinda cool too.

Some of the animations were rough in parts, but with 2 episodes a week I cut them some slack on that.

You know the more they put off Chiaki's death the more I'm convinced she lives. Yes I know I'm setting myself up for failure

I'm still thinking she's the Branch 13 leader at this rate.

If that timeline happens, I think the NWP won't be shown at all, as Matsuda is pretty close to death at this point and I don't believe it was made in so little time.

I think they'll give the NWP some airtime. It's a pretty important part of the story, and it would be a shame not to give it a little bit of time.

I want an explanation about how he related Junko and Mukuro to the incident. The show will probably not give that info, but I'd love to see how he defined his plans and let his luck take care of the details.

I was curious about this as well, although similarly I'm not sure they'll explain it.

Another possibility is that the Chiaki AI was built from the memories Izuru had of the real Chiaki. After all, Izuru possessed all the talents.

It's possible, although doesn't AI Chiaki reference her big brother (Alter Ego) and imply her father is Chihiro? That combined with him being a programmer for the NWP seems to point in a certain direction, although the 2 students haven't met yet, so...

He didn't even find it himself.

He just clicked "I'm feeling Lucky"

LMAO

NeonZ

Despair 8

To be fair, DR2 itself mentioned that the Remnants had been brainwashed by Junko. People just assumed that it had been something like manipulation and indoctrination due to the lack of details on that brainwashing, but it was said to be "brainwashing" even back then.

FluxWaveZ

To be fair, DR2 itself mentioned that the Remnants had been brainwashed by Junko. People just assumed that it had been something like manipulation and indoctrination due to the lack of details on that brainwashing, but it was said to be "brainwashing" even back then.

Yeah, as MetroidPrimeRib posted above, the concept of "brainwashing" isn't what people are inherently against. Brainwashing is clearly what Junko had done to the DR2 cast and everyone else she came across to convert to her side. The issue here is the method. Brainwashing is an actual, non-scientific theory which can be achieved through torture, psychological pressure, excessive goading, etc.

A simple video that will do the trick, even if it would make perfect sense within the context of the universe, is just narratively weak and fails to meet people's reasonable expectations after all the shadowy build-up behind Junko across all DR works until now.

In Mikan's case, it's not even that it was subliminal messaging that did it, but presumably just that the violence she witnessed was so much that she became mind broken and a slave to Junko? That's just really weak. It's the fate that a tertiary character should have solely to advance the plot, not one of the most important in the DR world. The thing is that, aside from those few exceptions people have been saying, it seems most of the DR2 cast have been reduced to that small role, with the main players being others.

I think someone had posted something about it previously but, yeah, this seems compelling enough.

sjay1994

If there is one thing that irks me about Danganronpa, its the technological advancements they have, and they just wave their hands and go "don't think or ask about it, we have it, deal with it".

They have

- Technology to remove memories
- Complete Virtual reality
- Genetic experiments, that somehow synthesize luck
- AI programs
- Robotics

Normally, its a thing that irks me...

but the fact it is heading towards the fact the remnants became despair, because of brainwashing anime...

Like, I am genuinely annoyed, despair arc is disappointing, while I am enjoying future arc a lot more.

Also, totally agree on the fact the anime ruined Mikan.

Red Frost

Banned
Junko is still a horrific madman of a villain, but the more info that comes out, the more it seems as if the series has massively overestimated her up to this point. Rather than the crazy omnipresent master manipulator we assumed she was, it's more that circumstances just dictated things would turn out the way they did due to the stupidity of everyone around her.

Hope's Peak's shady side and the mindset it creates, Ryota's anime, Juzo's incompetence; the field was already there for Junko to tear things up and her analytical abilities have barely even contributed to them. She's essentially a typical anime serial killer with big dreams and ironically a ton of luck.

It's also a total copout as it makes the remnants redeemable if we consider all agency had been stripped from them. The conflicting message of "can even the worst monster change" is no longer applicable. At least the Warriors of Hope were still in control of their actions.

I'm so glad the BS the anime is having lately isn't affecting Nagito's character, who is truly the best written character in the series and the best villain.

I hope he is the mastermind in Future one way or another, I NEED to see him meet Naegi personally and get a boner from all the hope.

Red Frost

Banned
If there is one thing that irks me about Danganronpa, its the technological advancements they have, and they just wave their hands and go "don't think or ask about it, we have it, deal with it".

They have

- Technology to remove memories
- Complete Virtual reality
- Genetic experiments, that somehow synthesize luck
- AI programs
- Robotics

Normally, its a thing that irks me...

I've actually always thought this was believable within the setting. Those with talent are shown to be able to go well beyond what modern technology in the real world is capable of, so more often than not it doesn't feel like some asspull. It's just a bunch of anime silliness that somehow works within the confines of the serious overarching plot. And of course we have no clue what time period this takes place in, so there's that too.

I will say synthesizing luck is really weird though when it's clear even those in charge have a very limited understanding of it, especially considering there's no quantifiable way to test it even within the confines of the DR universe and is merely a theoretical talent.

That being said, brainwashing anime on its own is fine, but when it seemingly retcons other stuff, it's just bad writing.

sjay1994

Also, another thing that bothers me since I recently replayed DR2, is that the Junko AI literally says in the last trial "all I did was broke Izuru's spirit, but it doesn't compare to what Hope's Peak did to him".

... has this "happened" yet? Because as of now, all I am seeing is Junko going up to Izuru and going "yo, you know whats cool? Despair!" and Izuru basically goes Calvin Candi saying "You had my curiosity, now you have my attention".

sjay1994

Damn so Chisa and Hina switch places and then when Munakata drives his sword into Chisa's body he's really killing Hina?

So if Hina is actually dead... does that count as the death Monaka was alluding too? Or does it really mean 2 of the surviving cast are going to be dead after this anime is done.

As long as its not Kyoko, I will be fine if anyone dies

Also, another thing that bothers me since I recently replayed DR2, is that the Junko AI literally says in the last trial "all I did was broke Izuru's spirit, but it doesn't compare to what Hope's Peak did to him".

... has this "happened" yet? Because as of now, all I am seeing is Junko going up to Izuru and going "yo, you know whats cool? Despair!" and Izuru basically goes Calvin Candi saying "You had my curiosity, now you have my attention".
To be honest even in DR2 I found it hard to believe how someone like Izuru could be broken, he just seemed "above it all". I find it easier to believe he actually isn't under Junko's control like the other despairs and is just doing this cause he's similar to Junko and needs the unpredictable nature of despair to fill the emptiness inside him.

yami4ct

I don't really see Izuru as being on Junko's 'side' yet. He seems to be purely an observer. Yes, he stops people who are trying to get in her way, but he hasn't actively taken part in her events on his own volition yet.

It appears that something was probably lost in the localization, as this post compares the old fan translations and the NISA one and it seems some of the original message was changed. If anything, the fan text seems more accurate to his personality in the Despair episodes.

In my opinion, considering what we have seen of both Izuru and Junko, it appears he is just going along with her plans for the sheer unpredictability of an entirely raw emotion-controlled action - something that was made clear from both Chapter 0 of DR2 and Chapter 7 of the Despair arc. He is probably probably aware that Junko is using him as a symbol of the corruption of the current order and as a scapegoat for the Reserve Course uprising, but it seems he is content with being an observer of the chaos.

Of course, that puts into question why he is annoyed with the AI's spiel at the end of Another Episode and why he actually collaborates with Junko's plan concerning the NWP.

sjay1994

It appears that something was probably lost in the localization, as this post compares the old fan translations and the NISA one and it seems some of the original message was changed. If anything, the fan text seems more accurate to his personality in the Despair episodes.

In my opinion, considering what we have seen of both Izuru and Junko, it appears he is just going along with her plans for the sheer unpredictability of an entirely raw emotion-controlled action - something that was made clear from both Chapter 0 of DR2 and Chapter 7 of the Despair arc. He is probably probably aware that Junko is using him as a symbol of the corruption of the current order and as a scapegoat for the Reserve Course uprising, but it seems he is content with being an observer of the chaos.

Of course, that puts into question why he is annoyed with the AI's spiel at the end of Another Episode and why he actually collaborates with Junko's plan concerning the NWP.

That clears things up. I feel like he has stopped being an observer at this point, since he saved Junko from Nagito in this episode.

Honestly, really thinking about it... I don't like the brainwashing anime thing because it dimishes the DR2 cast, but it kinda meets my expectations of Junko.

While playing the games, I genuinely had a hard time believing Junko was responsible for causing a worldwide holocaust, because the games or how they are translated kinda try to depict Junko as this DIO-esque character who is incredibly charismatic and manipulative and can make people follow her, but her actions and how she carries herself in the games made me wonder why anyone would willingly follow her. Now it makes sense because in JOJO terms, she didn't convince people with her charisma, she basically just flesh-budded everyone.

FluxWaveZ

Hope Chiaki finally dies in the next episode. Her prominence in this arc seems so unnecessary and boring.

This will be everlasting throughout Despair Arc, even if she dies.

1. If Chiaki dies, she will be made a martyr. Frequent flashbacks and people talking about how much Chiaki was important to their lives and their own personal development.

2. If Chiaki doesn't die, her role will only become more significant as Despair Arc goes on (and, possibly, Future Arc), especially now that she's seen the Big Bads.

3. If it's a crazy twist like Chiaki never existed or something, that will be a culmination point and subsequent reveals will focus around the twist involving Chiaki.

She's the centrepiece of the Despair Arc, and that's certainly not changing. Ever.

That clears things up. I feel like he has stopped being an observer at this point, since he saved Junko from Nagito in this episode.

Honestly, really thinking about it... I don't like the brainwashing anime thing because it dimishes the DR2 cast, but it kinda meets my expectations of Junko.

I don't honestly think it diminishes the DR2 cast. if anything, Despair arc shows why of all classes Junko targeted them to be her remnants of despair.

1) despite several tragic pasts, they all have exceptional talents.
2) despite tragic pasts, most of them have managed to move on past their tragedies and care about others.
3) on their natural course, the remnants would have made the world a lot more hopeful as they would have been successes born from tragedy.
4) Izuru also would have brought the world a whole lot of hope by himself.
5) Nagito's luck is OP.
6) Junko would have lost before she began because of 4, 5, and 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom